Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Blizzard sucks, WoW sucks, you're literally worse than a social justice warrior.

At least people have fun with one of the three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

KittyEmpress posted:

Blizzard sucks, WoW sucks, you're literally worse than a social justice warrior.

At least people have fun with one of the three

WoW wouldn't exist or be successful and therefor have server emulators created for it if intellectual property laws weren't enforced.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Extra posted:

WoW wouldn't exist or be successful and therefor have server emulators created for it if intellectual property laws weren't enforced.

I'm not sure blizzard really needs you there getting mad for them.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
If you want to be able to talk to other goons before we get the guild up and running type "/join Goons" in chat without the quotes obviously.
You can check if anyone else is in it in the chat tab of the social window.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Extra posted:

:getout: People play on private servers to experience the game as it was before the Cataclysm expansion completely ruined and 'modernized' all of the old world quests. I've checked out several private servers so far and Dalaran-wow is a fun experience. As for private servers taking away Blizzard subscribers, I suspect that the players did so because they were dissatisfied with the way that Blizzard was taking the game.

sheepdemon
Feb 15, 2004

. . . before turning the gun on himself

Extra posted:

Blizzard is actively losing revenue because people play on these servers and they've already proven it to multiple judges.

You can prove a lot of things to judges if you pay them enough money. The people playing on these servers are people who enjoy playing content that Blizzard no longer support, or sometimes don't even have in their game any more.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
I don't think people are playing Vanilla and WotLK servers to circumvent the paywall of retail. In fact, people have for years asked for this content to be supported. They have chosen not to. And by nature, since there is a demand there will be a supply. Blizzard just chose not to be the provider. Not providing for something that is heavily demanded and trying to stop everyone else from providing it is a hopeless cause to begin with.

Phosphia fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 15, 2014

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
NEW LOCATION!
SA Emotes addon: https://code.google.com/p/theaddon/

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 18, 2014

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!

Suran37 posted:

The SA Emotes addon (courtesy of the goons on Emerald Dream) works here as well if you want it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dkmok3cjvg2dpi/LGW_SAmotes-1.0.zip

Oh I do indeed

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate having to level weapon skills.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Abu Dave posted:

I hate having to level weapon skills.

Can't you afk grind the invincible mobs in blasted lands?

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
<BROWN TOWN> is a go!

At the moment Frostshock, Burgermaster, Buttlesticks, and Ambaire can invite.

Suran37 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 16, 2014

Autolycus
Nov 11, 2005
Motherfuckin' Bruce Campbell
Fantastic!

I'll be looking for you guys online next time I log on!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am excited for the Frown Browns caused by Brown Town

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

OP updated to document the glorious day Brown Town was founded.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Because I'm a sad goon with no life I'm going to buy a level 70 later and will run people through dungeons if wanted for a little bit. I forgot how god drat slow leveling was even in Wrath without buffs and BOAs.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ambaire posted:

:getout: People play on private servers to experience the game as it was before the Cataclysm expansion completely ruined and 'modernized' all of the old world quests. I've checked out several private servers so far and Dalaran-wow is a fun experience. As for private servers taking away Blizzard subscribers, I suspect that the players did so because they were dissatisfied with the way that Blizzard was taking the game.

I actually really liked the revamp :ohdear:.

It was the talent tree change pre-MoP that killed me ever wanting to come back.

Smoking Gun
Mar 7, 2003
Image leeching is BAD
Are we required to use the enGB client in the torrent links on their site, or will the enUS client work as well?

Arkainn
Mar 27, 2010

Smoking Gun posted:

Are we required to use the enGB client in the torrent links on their site, or will the enUS client work as well?

I'm using an enUS client and haven't had any problems so far

Smoking Gun
Mar 7, 2003
Image leeching is BAD
While looking around for UIs, I did find TukUI and ElvUI for WotLK:

TukUI: https://copy.com/Y6HSRw6Y0VJR

ElvUI: https://copy.com/s9m1BBeIR0JM

I have TukUI installed and it seems to work 100%.

Also, I've found that many addons on Curse have older versions under "Other Downloads" section of the addon's site. Just look for the newest version that was meant for 3.3.5.

Smoking Gun fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 16, 2014

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

sheepdemon posted:

The people playing on these servers are people who enjoy playing content that Blizzard no longer support, or sometimes don't even have in their game any more.

The law isn't really concerned with fun, I'd be interested to hear the opinion of a legal professional on the black and white of it. If you are making any money at all off of a what amounts to a bootleg copy of a video game as big as World of Warcraft, I can't imagine it's legal, but I'm not American so the intricacies of your legal system might be lost on me. I don't really intend this as a slight against anyone in this thread, I'm just interested how this would be interpreted in court because I assume it wouldn't be too hard to nail down. None of my livelihood is affected by whether a few hundred people want to play WoTLK :v:.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Luceid posted:

The law isn't really concerned with fun, I'd be interested to hear the opinion of a legal professional on the black and white of it. If you are making any money at all off of a what amounts to a bootleg copy of a video game as big as World of Warcraft, I can't imagine it's legal, but I'm not American so the intricacies of your legal system might be lost on me. I don't really intend this as a slight against anyone in this thread, I'm just interested how this would be interpreted in court because I assume it wouldn't be too hard to nail down. None of my livelihood is affected by whether a few hundred people want to play WoTLK :v:.

Every single emulator around is against the law. (save maybe shadowbane? I think it's one of a few that are running from completely shut down games)
Some are tolerated by the copyright holders: Dark Age of Camelot, and Everquest. That I know of. The rest just host in countries outside the bounds of similar copyright laws like the US, or some other reason they can ignore cease and desist letters and not get sued in to poverty. This is half out of my rear end/half from observation. Certainly not versed in law.

On the topic of the server, I just can't do it. My body just shuts down and I get sleepy when I try to play WoW. I'll hop on and send those bags/gold/glyphs back to zig, or someone can drop their ingame name in here and I'll just pass them along.

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

What's new, Buseycat? woa-aah, woa-aah, woa-aah
Is the population decent?

Also, is there a mac client? the site seemed to "detect" my platform as PC, even though I'm on a mac.

Dariusz2k
Dec 11, 2006

Blizzard should probably thank these guys for coming up with their future F2P model.

Also, I'm Crob, a grey Tauren warrior who enjoys long walks on the beach and leveling my staff skill by rending mobs.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The population is pretty low to be honest, like the AH is kinda dead and no one really stands around in Dalaran or Orgrmmar, but there are groups forming for NAXX 25 and Pugs, just don't expect anything amazing.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Abu Dave posted:

The population is pretty low to be honest, like the AH is kinda dead and no one really stands around in Dalaran or Orgrmmar, but there are groups forming for NAXX 25 and Pugs, just don't expect anything amazing.

They talk about ~800 to 1k at prime time. Is that anything close to the truth?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never seen more than thirteen people in the org AH at one time; however even this morning there was no less than four naxx pugs going on along with some heroics and normals. I think most of the people are out grinding reps right now. That said apparently after a reset the server peaks up again which I believe is every Thursday?

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I'd say 250 on horde side during NA times is about the average. As stated raids reset on Friday so the weekend is usually the peak for players. I haven't had much trouble getting into pug VoA, EoE, and OS. Obviously it's easier to find a group earlier in the raid week. Guilds are pretty tight knit due to the population. Occasionally I have had trouble getting a heroic group going.

I don't know what it takes to make a successful server but if it's good scripting then dalaran-wow will be successful. Server is still young and word is still spreading.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the scripting is nice compared to molten wow which can't even get heroics to work.

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

What's new, Buseycat? woa-aah, woa-aah, woa-aah
I'm having serious issues here, i got the 3.3.5a mac client, set realmlist logon.dalaran-wow.com and as soon as I login it grabs patch 4.0.0. Any ideas? :/

edit: yeah I'm some kind of idiot. was logging in with my email address.. using just the username worked fine.

xelfer fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 18, 2014

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suran37 posted:

The SA Emotes addon (courtesy of the goons on Emerald Dream) works here as well if you want it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dkmok3cjvg2dpi/LGW_SAmotes-1.0.zip

Have you guys actually been able to get this to work?

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

Have you guys actually been able to get this to work?

Actually nope. I had two installed it seems and it was another one I had. Here: https://code.google.com/p/theaddon/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rip goon 2014-2014

e; thanks Suran that worked

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Do the lower level dungeons work correctly? Also, can you queue into a group successfully just by using the Dungeon Finder?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

saltylopez posted:

Do the lower level dungeons work correctly? Also, can you queue into a group successfully just by using the Dungeon Finder?

All of the lower level dungeons that I've been in up to Zul'Farrak work correctly. As for dungeon finder, it won't be enabled until Trial of the Crusader is released, months from now.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Does anybody have a link to an auctioneer mod that is working for them? The one in the addon link is giving me timeout errors whenever I use appraiser to post an item.

I tried Auctioneer Suite 5.9 (The one intended for the Cata release) and it seems to be working.

saltylopez fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 19, 2014

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/auctioneer/427823

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009
This seems like a fun project to get involved in. Question though, are people leveling to 70 or just donating to max level?

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01
Yeah plenty of people are leveling instead of donating for a 70.

Right now, afternoon EU/morning NA:
level:players online
2-10: 19
11-20: 24
21-30: 28
31-40: 13
41-50: 9
51-60: 11
61:69: 12
70-73: 25
74-79: 23
80: 98

Population overall is still sort of low unfortunately. I was hoping to see maybe twice as many people online at any given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

You wind up seeing far far more Alliance during the US evening/night. Also are those both factions or just one?

• Locked thread