Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"That was a good put-down."
"It was alright."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was a great episode. Reminded me of the best of last season. Definitely back to the dark comedy.

It's amazing how bad Mike is at his job. How bad everyone is at their job, really!

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
What a fantastic episode. I loved Selina's quiet despair on SNL and that vaguely Elaine-ish hairdo.

Also HBO has just renewed Veep for a fourth season.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sakarja posted:

What a fantastic episode. I loved Selina's quiet despair on SNL and that vaguely Elaine-ish hairdo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5oMU5VAvgE&t=16s
I didn't know about Louis Dreyfus before Veep, so this is funny to me.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I also hope that Alicia comes back, she's a great character. I'm guessing that universal childcare is going to be Selena's new Clean Jobs act.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Paladinus posted:

I didn't know about Louis Dreyfus before Veep, so this is funny to me.
You've heard of Seinfeld, right?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

This show is my favorite on television at the moment. Loved the Faustus poster and Selena's eye twitch.

sector_corrector posted:

I also hope that Alicia comes back, she's a great character. I'm guessing that universal childcare is going to be Selena's new Clean Jobs act.

I thought so too - as a normal person trying to actually do something, her presence kind of amplifies the insanity of the world the rest of the characters inhabit. The fact that the episode was titled Alicia makes me think she's not returning, but I hope she does, and Dee too.

double negative fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 21, 2014

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mad Dragon posted:

You've heard of Seinfeld, right?

Yes. I know now she was in it, but I never really followed Seinfield too closely either. My knowledge of older American TV shows is very limited, basically.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You're missing out but you can do something about that. Season 1 is four episodes long. Season 2 is... 12? I dunno, something short. It's enjoyable enough and you won't get why people talk about it so much.

Then you watch the 3rd and 4th seasons and it's just completely and utterly amazing. JLD is phenomenal all the way through, and her hair... every girl who went to the hairdressers and asked for the Rachel, Monica or Phoebe should've been asking for the Elaine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sakarja posted:

She also nailed all the little ways that non actors on SNL gently caress up. Starting their line during the audience applause, tunnel visioning the cue cards, fake enthusiasm, etc.

JLD is killing it about as well as I've ever seen any comedic actor at their peak. Also, adding Gary Cole and Kevin Dunn to team VP is really turning the supporting ensemble into a murderer's row.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

She also nailed all the little ways that non actors on SNL gently caress up. Starting their line during the audience applause, tunnel visioning the cue cards, fake enthusiasm, etc.

Glad it wasn't just me who liked this. For such a short little gag, it was really quite intricate.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I couldn't be happier with this season, two great episodes followed by a stellar one. There was worry at first with Jonah departing, Mike getting married, and even starting an episode on a street with two previously unseen normals, but these little risks are only informing the characters and show, not steering it, and so the rewards are tremendous.

And to echo so many others, all Julia needs do now is submit this last episode to the appropriate parties then collect her statues. Lucille Ball is going down.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

zoux posted:

Wasn't she on SNL for a year in the 80s?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Mike excitedly asking Amy if they'll get paid double was his best line of the night.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

arak0r posted:

Haven't seen it mentioned, but Jonah has found himself a new career as the narrator/guide for Creationist Cosmos!

I'm so relieved this is a joke.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah that was a great episode, that was great how Alicia killed the Mike story after being temporarily treated well, only to immediately be treated like poo poo again afterwards

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love this show so so much. I think it's better than The Thick of It at this point, Malcolm aside.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

The X-man cometh posted:

Wasn't she on SNL for a year in the 80s?

She was actually on SNL for 3 years from 1982 to 1985.

The last episode was fantastic, I actually had to pause a few times because I was laughing so hard. Have they brought up the husband issue at all, is she running as a single mom or still maintaining the perfect family facade?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Ha! Iannucci delivers an iceburn on SNL. Fantastic.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Is it just me or is Dan getting more insane?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

zoux posted:

Just sittin on tha cohnah

I just watched the episode now, and this joke really set the stage for an amazing episode.

Easily one of the best in the show's run so far, and packed with great moments. Nobody's even mentioned the Goober Peas scene; that dude popping his head in for half a second was incredible

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The moment starting from the dress issue and ending with Salena and the balloons was flawless. A classic up there with croissant dildo

arak0r
Feb 10, 2006

The Ugly

Propaniac posted:

I'm so relieved this is a joke.

It is brilliantly done though.

For those that have been missing out, http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fa1a1c8fb7/creationist-cosmos
Something about Timothy Simons is just hilariously creepy.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

sector_corrector posted:

It was a great episode. Reminded me of the best of last season. Definitely back to the dark comedy.

It's amazing how bad Mike is at his job. How bad everyone is at their job, really!

"Sorry, yeah, I was just ... yelling at the media."

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

arak0r posted:

It is brilliantly done though.

For those that have been missing out, http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fa1a1c8fb7/creationist-cosmos
Something about Timothy Simons is just hilariously creepy.

He reminds me so much of Zach Woods (Gabe from The Office) it's weird, because they're both so good at being creepers.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

He reminds me so much of Zach Woods (Gabe from The Office) it's weird, because they're both so good at being creepers.

Zach Woods was on the show last season! He and Jonad were hilarious together.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
What's with Dan finding a sense of morals?

This is not the same guy who tried to ditch Selina for Danny Chung.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wait what? When did that happen?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

bamhand posted:

That one was great because he owned Jonad so hard.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

bamhand posted:

The way they introduced his character was amazing. He says "I was like the Hunter S. Thompson of bar mitzvahs" and you instantly know everything about him. He was also great in In the Loop.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I miss congressman Furlong, other than that everything this season has been absolutely spot on. JLD is a master at the height of her craft and deserves every possible award. She's probably the best non-verbal comedian in the business at this point, her gesticulations and especially facial expressions are absolutely unmatchable by anyone I've seen. The writing is as sharp as ever and I can't wait for each new episode.

I was actually worried that Ianucci would have trouble making the jump to the American schedule with his writing. I mean The Thick of It was essentially 26 episodes in 7 years of pure brilliance and I was afraid that having to do 12 episodes a year would be too much for him, but so far so good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hello, here is a picture of JLD loving a clown for a GQ photoshoot.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Well... Isn't that quite something.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmKq77iuooI

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I loving love that the first song that came to mike was Goober Peas.

Every time they get a chance at playing up what a dinosaur he is, they take it. Like the movies he watched with his wife on his honeymoon, his dorky "bad to the bone" ringtone, all his old rear end joke references no one gets. It's a nice fresh take on the Glenn character from the Thick of It, except instead of everyone just calling him an old gently caress, he is constantly displaying what an old gently caress he is.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
"Oh my God, Mike. What are you going to do for an encore? Punch the kid?!"

Killed me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finally got around to catching up on this and drat. Really great start to the season though I feel like they've sacrificed just a little bit of the rapid-fire joke delivery in favor of more complex stories, but it's a good thing. Everything Jonah is doing (and having done to him) is incredible. I just hope we get some stuff that's on the level of the Finland trip last season, my God that was the best.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

It's hard to believe that she's 53

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

You're missing out but you can do something about that. Season 1 is four episodes long. Season 2 is... 12? I dunno, something short. It's enjoyable enough and you won't get why people talk about it so much.

Then you watch the 3rd and 4th seasons and it's just completely and utterly amazing. JLD is phenomenal all the way through, and her hair... every girl who went to the hairdressers and asked for the Rachel, Monica or Phoebe should've been asking for the Elaine.

I've been watching early Seinfeld episodes lately. Nice to see Kevin Dunn (Ben Caffrey on Veep) making an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why she's nothing but a clown whore! drat you Julia! drat this heat! <wipes brow>

• Locked thread