Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Or what about even a basic question the ending introduces, like wherever the hell Amarok went to at the end.

I think Astro Nut is spot on. Honestly I think this show had a lot of the same issues that previous Bones mecha anime RahXephon had when it comes to world-building, but the characters were decent enough I guess. The fight scene in this last episode was fun, too.

I think I can only justify a 6/10 for this series. I don't regret spending the Summer watching it, but it really needed a bit more focus throughout the entire series (Just look at how confused people got when the show reintroduced the Blume a couple episodes back for example).

Sindai posted:

Wait, who was the blue-haired girl who showed up at the very end? I remember seeing her before but not when. Has she just been chilling in the background the whole time? I guess that means she has something to do with the livlasters, since they keep saying they're also living aliens but never went anywhere with that.

I thought she was just the human form of the Kiltgang empress girl.

quote:

Also I still haven't the slightest idea what "neoteny" is supposed to mean.

I thought it was just a reference to people who could use a Livlaster. That's another issue itself, come to think of it. So the Livlasters were aliens or something, if I'm understanding right?

EDIT: I have no confidence in my answers so just go with what Alectai said.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Sindai posted:

Wait, who was the blue-haired girl who showed up at the very end? I remember seeing her before but not when. Has she just been chilling in the background the whole time? I guess that means she has something to do with the livlasters, since they keep saying they're also living aliens but never went anywhere with that.

Also I still haven't the slightest idea what "neoteny" is supposed to mean.

"Neoteny" is a term for "An adult that retains aspects of it's juvenile state". Or something along those lines. In this case, it's Probably from the perspective of the Planetary Gears as "Someone who can use Orgonne like us, but still has the body of a fleshling"

Blue-haired girl is pretty strongly implied to be an anthropromorphic personification of the Livlasters. She usually shows up or you hear her little "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" bit from her recorder right before someone gains a Livlaster, or is about to do something crazy with one.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Alectai posted:

"Neoteny" is a term for "An adult that retains aspects of it's juvenile state". Or something along those lines. In this case, it's Probably from the perspective of the Planetary Gears as "Someone who can use Orgonne like us, but still has the body of a fleshling"

Blue-haired girl is pretty strongly implied to be an anthropromorphic personification of the Livlasters. She usually shows up or you hear her little "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" bit from her recorder right before someone gains a Livlaster, or is about to do something crazy with one.

But then the ending adds on extra ~mystery~ with the implication she's Pitz as well, which then raises questions on whether Seiren was a candidate or something and why she could predict the future and oh no I've gone cross eyed.

The Neoteny/Livlaster issue is one of more annoying aspects of the show because whilst I can get behind the idea of something being unknown in universe, but there's clearly several aspects that are known to characters in universe, mainly the Kiltgang, but what they understand is never explained to us. And, well, that makes it hard to say what it specifically refers to. Amarok obviously calls Teppei and Daichi Neoteny several times, but at other points he seems to be speaking about the livlasters, or rather, the beings responsible for them. There's obviously some kind of existing history there, but why is there a clear dislike of them? As Puck even points out, infinite energy is kinda awesome, and you'd think for an energy hungry race they'd be a bit reverent of that. Yet it also... sounds like the Neoteny/livlasters/whatever have a history of interference against them, yet evidently the Kiltgang can't have been defeated prior to this since, well, they're still alive. Unless they have been beaten and the reason they're asleep is that were energy deprived for so long. Or its something that even if they've not personally experienced they know through the culture of a wider kiltgang/planetary gears species since there has to be one unless there guys are literally the only ones to exist?

Oh, and let's not even get started on how ego blocks are apparently supposed to work.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Well just caught the finale. I'll say exactly what I said with Star Drivers ending: Well that was fun.

Not exactly a show of substance but it was interesting. Glad Hana got to do something in the end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Did they ever explain what exactly the Blume was and how it ended up on Earth?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Sindai posted:

Did they ever explain what exactly the Blume was and how it ended up on Earth?

The general implication, IIRC, is that the Blume is the last ship of some species previously destroyed by the Kiltgang. In a way its the Macross, but pointier.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Well, that ended about as generically as possible. Given the amount of time they had left I can't really fault the ending we got but man oh day did they drop the ball on basically every interesting thing about the show in favor of the most boring ending sequence possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This show was strictly mediocre. It never lived up to its potential, but then it never had as much potential as star driver so it was no great loss.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
It's strange how I think the best episodes of this series didn't really focus on the main characters. My favorite three episodes were Teppei's dad episode and the two about Baku/Bugbear. A shame they weren't all that good. Overall it was just very... average. At least I'll likely never forget the title since it was so distinct.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

I think what would help Bones, and the particular staff involved, is if they dropped two particular aspects present in both Star Driver and Captain Earth, which seem to hamper the overall direction I think.

First is the instant loss conditions with enemy victory. Admittedly Captain Earth did have one briefly clever subversion by dividing mecha fights into two tiers, meaning they could lose the fight in small mechs before heading up to the space battle. Otherwise though I find it ends up contributing overall to the rather one sided fights both series tends to have, since the heroes must win each fight without fail, whether that means a new move or simply being able to get in that last hit. They go all in having the villain then dominate because they themselves rely on that final turnaround to change things.

Though admittedly its weird to say that given the Bugbear fight at Europa has one such ending, but its an exception that proves the rule I'd say.

Second thing to drop would be the over reliance on cryptic mysteries. More specifically, having said mysteries and not being willing to properly solve them in a straightforward manner. Star Driver admittedly handled things better, but overall both series have an affection for trying to lead people on. Works for the first episodes to get people hooked, but they kept on adding and adding - alien invaders, teppei is one of them, salty dog, hana, livlasters, puck, kube, the kivotos plan - and tended not to do so well on explanations. It also makes it kinda hard to develop characters when you're trying to keep details about them hidden, since there's little in the way of open details to change.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The show feels like one which didn't have enough episodes to flesh out all the ideas it wanted... except that two cours is pretty much the standard allotment of episodes that anything which doesn't have major backing or massive success gets so they must have known that was what they had to work with. Baffling.

I mean given how Star Driver ended I can appreciate that some elements of this are probably deliberate, I mean Enokido clearly has a thing about leaving stories with deliberate loose ends that are open to interpretation, but there's the Japanese artistic appreciation of impermanence and then there's just not making the effort to tell an interesting story and needlessly obfuscating simple concepts.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I took a break at ep 7, because the show didn't seem to be moving very fast, but now that it's ended I decided to marathon it over the past two days. I'd be hard pressed to call it a good show, or have any real grasp of what it was about, yet for some reason I still loved watching it. Reminded me of a more innocent age, when big robots fought other big robots, and the power of your heart could overcome anything. And of course kissing the girl is the only way to rescue her. So lovely. :3:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This show should have been about the Neoteny, with Albion and Akari as the not-antagonists that help them defeat Puck in the end.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

darkgray posted:

I took a break at ep 7, because the show didn't seem to be moving very fast, but now that it's ended I decided to marathon it over the past two days. I'd be hard pressed to call it a good show, or have any real grasp of what it was about, yet for some reason I still loved watching it. Reminded me of a more innocent age, when big robots fought other big robots, and the power of your heart could overcome anything. And of course kissing the girl is the only way to rescue her. So lovely. :3:

I think its one of those shows where its better to be watching it than to stop and think about it after the fact, and I don't mean in the usual kind of 'switch your brain off' sense. As has been discussed, its a bit of a confused show, but I will admit its kind of... earnest, about when it does try something. Helped that it has a really good soundtrack to help back it up.

Mostly I think if the show had been willing to drop one of two of its numerous sub-plots, it might have had enough room to better play out the rest.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I really liked the action set piece in the final episode and the "I'm Captain Earth!" part. Made me feel more emotion than the entirety of Aldnoah Zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

edit: whoops wrong thread

• Locked thread