Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Zorak posted:

Yeah, they're pretty drat tiny. I dunno if it's just that Star Driver had like nil adults in it, but I got the feeling it handled the HEY: THESE ARE TEENS better design wise. Not that it really matters at all.

e: watching this week's episode right now, I wonder if we're going to actually get poo poo like in the OP, explosion crazy fightin.

It did. Star Driver teens are all very long limbed which gives some awkward proportions, like you would expect a teenager to look. Captain Earth the young people are much more standard short people as Teen design where they could be anywhere from 14 to 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hmmm gotta admit, I'm feeling pretty down on this series at the moment. Thus far in like the first 1/6 of the show not all that much has happened and we've not learned especially much, while they've devoted a lot of emotional angst to stuff we have no particular investment or comprehension of. Meanwhile, they've had a lot of asides that felt kind of pointless and stupid.

I mean, take this episode spending so much time on oh no Teppei can control the robot and is a Kilt Gang. Since we don't know what the gently caress that even means, it's hard for us to be particular "gasp" or "oh i get why these shmucks are waffling about it like it's a big deal". In some other mecha series it'd just be "oh I guess he's an ally, that's cool, glad he's on our side" or at least reaffirm why this is a Big Deal, but the anime is so full of being mysterious and obfuscating what's going on even for the most mundane that it fails to make much in the way of an emotional connection to what's going on.

I mean, ultimately the interactions between Daichi and Teppei remain the most relate-able and best written if only because we know what the gently caress is going on since it's just "oh they're friends"

Even the whole base assault angle seems way too early for us to give a poo poo about. It's like "OK, why are these shmucks from Macbeth invading? Why the gently caress are these kilt gang kids calling the shot? Why should we care?" Usually base assault poo poo are sort of end game stuff, and literally being invaded by a Crepe truck seems like a comedic parody thing in a more lighthearted series, but it's being treated completely straight face which could be funny, but really isn't. Instead it just feels tonally disjointed.

I dunno, it just feels like the series really isn't living up to its potential or pitch at all. It has flashes of being brilliant like the fact that the Kiltgang are Boner Vampires and SALTY DOG SPY CUP AND STRING but it doesn't balance the serious with the funny very well.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 28, 2014

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

.Clash posted:

This week: bad guys don't know bout my wind.

I like to imagine that this will become a secret passphrase in the base in the future. "the wind on this island sure feels great, right?" "what are you talking about" "FREEZE KILTGANG SPY"

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Zorak posted:

literally being invaded by a Crepe truck seems like a comedic parody thing in a more lighthearted series, but it's being treated completely straight face which could be funny, but really isn't. Instead it just feels tonally disjointed.

The observation earlier in the thread that the story seems to have been written by an eight year old boy seems to be very apt. I'd sure as hell would've loved to have a big gently caress-off crepe truck with a handle beside the steering wheel to launch my murder-machine.

But besides that I can't really make myself care about the story at all. Maybe if it had more edgy poo poo it could be an amusing train wreck, but I think I'll drop it for now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Popehoist posted:

I like to imagine that this will become a secret passphrase in the base in the future. "the wind on this island sure feels great, right?" "what are you talking about" "FREEZE KILTGANG SPY"
All I could think of was

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This show hasn't yet managed to make me give a rat's rear end about its main characters idiot shounen guy, sadboy, mysterious brainless girl, and annoying superhacker wondergirl, but I have found myself rather liking the adult members of the cast and Team Rocket. One thing that still bugs me is that somehow the Kiltgang robots can gently caress up the moon in half a second and pretty much demolish the Earth Engine, but Daichi's dad somehow blew one up by just running the command module of a rocket into it. I know the show would rather spend its time on sexual imagery and puberty metaphors than explaining anything, but that still annoys me.

Hopefully next episode will help it out a bit since it looks like it might finally give some background and sadboy's mother seems like she might be decent, but I really would just rather watch cool robots fight in space. It's kind of hard to keep any enthusiasm about the show when they're basically not even using the super robot part of it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That was a totally different episode. The commander's plan was dumb as hell, but everything else was great, especially Teppei's dad. All his characterisation was done via sparse words and a quiet menace, and it was enough to make him perfectly likable.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

The commander's plan was dumb as hell

I don't think this can be overstated.

Wish the show would focus on one thing for a few episodes. Like maybe the titular giant robot?
There isn't even any wind in space, disappointing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haha is Teppei's dad being voiced by Myoue 1 from Kyousogiga? Guy cant catch a break from being typecasted as a crazy dad

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Eiji's a great dad, he's just completely unreadable until it's too late and you realise how much he cares.

Also, I'm convinces that Teppei's symbol on his palm is a countdown on how many "uses" of his gear form he has until he bites it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The commander's plan was dumb, the dad wasn't interesting at all, and the show continues to actively make sure I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. I think I'm out, I'ave had enough of this.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The relationship between Teppei and his dad was OK, if sorta dumb, but I really don't get Araki and her parents. Like, they care for her, and get on well with her and straight up abandoned her for five (or whatever) years because...?

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Haha is Teppei's dad being voiced by Myoue 1 from Kyousogiga? Guy cant catch a break from being typecasted as a crazy dad

Yep! And Takuto's dad from Star Driver, too.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

the dad wasn't interesting at all,

Disagreeing with this. He's basically L-Elf with an incredibly bright and caring disposition. It was very amusing to see how hyper competent he is. Hopefully he shows up again and slaps the emo out of Teppei later on.

Mordja posted:

The relationship between Teppei and his dad was OK, if sorta dumb, but I really don't get Araki and her parents. Like, they care for her, and get on well with her and straight up abandoned her for five (or whatever) years because...?

I think its a case of them caring too much for her. Their desire to make sure Akari is safe push them to distance themselves from her. This episode sort of made it apparent that parents being self sacrificing for their kids is a running theme in the series.

And a lot of people are saying that Akari's dad plan was dumb, I dont really think it that way. It was actually pretty genius in the "written by an 8 year old" way. The intent was never to get the guy out. He knew that the guy was basically L-Elf so the moment he was woken up he'd get himself out, regardless of who did it. It was just an extremely contrived way of getting the guy to see his son and have his daughter see her mom at the same time.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Also, I'm convinces that Teppei's symbol on his palm is a countdown on how many "uses" of his gear form he has until he bites it.

Nope, it just represents which Kiltgang he is. The other two guys have it as well and each's color is different. The base on the Moon also has 8 launching ramps, so there are 8 Kiltgang members total.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

And a lot of people are saying that Akari's dad plan was dumb, I dont really think it that way. It was actually pretty genius in the "written by an 8 year old" way. The intent was never to get the guy out. He knew that the guy was basically L-Elf so the moment he was woken up he'd get himself out, regardless of who did it. It was just an extremely contrived way of getting the guy to see his son and have his daughter see her mom at the same time.

I think this is close, but the plan wasn't for Eiji's sake. It was for Teppei's. The guy is still having a hard time adjusting to the whole Kiltgang thing, even with the help of his friends, so this was a way to help him reconnect to humanity. That actually justifies the complexity and riskiness of the plan - they absolutely cannot afford the Ark Faction getting a third Kiltgang, so keeping Teppei sweet is worth just about anything.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Darth Walrus posted:

I think this is close, but the plan wasn't for Eiji's sake. It was for Teppei's. The guy is still having a hard time adjusting to the whole Kiltgang thing, even with the help of his friends, so this was a way to help him reconnect to humanity. That actually justifies the complexity and riskiness of the plan - they absolutely cannot afford the Ark Faction getting a third Kiltgang, so keeping Teppei sweet is worth just about anything.

I agree that was the thematic reason for it, it was just that the plan was so wild and half-assed that it feeled like the producers were just loving with us.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
So the Kiltgang want to feed on humanity's libido, and the various Earth factions can't agree on what's the best way to handle the threat. Would that sum up what's going on so far?

And why is the plot so close to Daimidaler's? :ohdear:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Daler Mehndi posted:

So the Kiltgang want to feed on humanity's libido, and the various Earth factions can't agree on what's the best way to handle the threat. Would that sum up what's going on so far?

Sort of, except that the reason they can't agree is that the Ark faction, backed by Macbeth, appears to be causing the crisis in the first place in order to justify their giant eugenics exercise.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
When do I get to see the incredibly sweet Earth Engine fight stuff again? :smith:

Seriously, it's really hard to connect to Teppei or understand what everyone's flipping their poo poo about because they haven't bothered to explain anything yet. What happens if the bad guys make it to earth? They didn't really seem to have a problem making it to earth in their human forms, and Teppei was able to manifest his Evil Robot Form from a place on Earth, so why don't they just cut out the middle man? Why do we care about Teppei's dad again?

I'm not opposed to character development but usually you save deep character development for when the framework of your plot and how the characters tie into it are already established. We don't even understand the details of the primary conflict yet and we're diving into political factions and what it means to be human and what it means to be a father and and and :suicide:

Also I may kill myself if I hear "Logical, Logical~" again.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

I think the rough idea is that if a Kiltgang makes it to Earth from outside the Earth sphere, it's a political victory for the Ark faction, as they'll have evidence that remaining on Earth is no longer safe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think the other thing is that all Kiltgangs are summonable from that big base on the moon (including Teppei's), so GLOBE's job is to prevent them from getting from there to here. You can't just summon one directly next to you and go 'lol I win'.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Teppei's Kiltgang literally manifested within the earth's defence zone, so idkwtfigo

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the other thing is that all Kiltgangs are summonable from that big base on the moon (including Teppei's), so GLOBE's job is to prevent them from getting from there to here. You can't just summon one directly next to you and go 'lol I win'.

That's basically what Teppei did, though. Like Phobophilia said, his Kiltgang popped into being directly within Earth's final defense zone before the atmosphere.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Teppei's Kiltgang literally manifested within the earth's defence zone, so idkwtfigo

Yeah but the idea is, if an unknown enemy object can penetrate the earth defence zone from outside, then it's proof that Earth itself is "unsafe". I'm assuming that the entire Kiltgang VS EDZ setup is a simulation of an alien attack on Earth that they somehow suspect is likely/imminent, and the planet is split between the options of defending Earth or abandoning it.

Perhaps Kiltgang isn't actually dangerous at all, and all that happens if they "make it through" is that the Ark faction basically proves their point that "aliens could attack us and break through our defence zone at any time". And their reasoning for this could possibly be that all the Kiltgang stuff we've seen so far like the mechs etc are alien technology that was discovered near Earth in space. The good guys designed the Earth Engine around the gun, while the Kiltgang mechs are likely based off something different entirely. Both could just be earthling interpretations of alien technology, with that technology in and of itself being the justification for "aliens exist and we have to build a giant earth defense zone/abandon earth b/c this technology is hella advanced".

Quote this post in 3 months when it turns out that my theorycraft was entirely off the mark.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If anything this show proves that you can include every cliche from the book in a show in a way that seems coherent at first glance yet doesn't seem to make any sense the moment you try to think about it.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Kanos posted:

Also I may kill myself if I hear "Logical, Logical~" again.

Not a fan of the magical girl genre, eh? It makes me smile because I have fond memories of Hime-chan no Ribbon.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
The lastest episode made very little sense, but I have a HARD SCIENCE COMPLAINT with the 0g, People making 90 degree turns without touching anything or moving their bodies, plus holding stone still after firing a gun.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Huh, so the reason that they absolutely can't afford to have the Kiltgang reach Earth is because They can pull a Samekh on it at that range. And the crazy moon-base was Created from the few dozen people who were over there when they first showed up.

That kind of does put the whole "Welp, we're hosed" outlook that everyone has into perspective. Though the Earth Engine's so far shown itself to Barely match a single Kiltgang who's dicking around, let alone two who are treating it with a modicum of seriousness. That the Intercept Faction seems to be treated like a joke by everyone does make more sense in light of that.

Though next episode apparently shows "A Ray of Hope?"

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The character at the end of this week's preview looks like he stole his clothes from the Star Driver wardrobe department.

Also the computer turned out to be evil who would have guessed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ethiser posted:

The character at the end of this week's preview looks like he stole his clothes from the Star Driver wardrobe department.

Also the computer turned out to be evil who would have guessed.

It was always evil. The only thing that's changed is the particular flavour of evil.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Welp, that was the plot dump episode with all the ham-fisted writing one expects of a plot dump episode. The four kids who are supposed to be the main characters remain by a wide margin the least interesting part of the show.

At least the Earth Engine is going to do something next episode. I don't know how they plan to get into Super Robot Wars if it almost never fights anything or just gets its rear end kicked when it does.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

chumbler posted:

At least the Earth Engine is going to do something next episode. I don't know how they plan to get into Super Robot Wars if it almost never fights anything or just gets its rear end kicked when it does.

I don't know, I quite like having a mecha series where the protagonist isn't magically good at fighting with humanoid robots for no discernible reason. This episode we even got some training which will explain why he's better next time.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chumbler posted:

I don't know how they plan to get into Super Robot Wars if it almost never fights anything or just gets its rear end kicked when it does.

Boss would like a word with you.

Episode was alright, puck/P.A.C betraying the ceo was a given. Not particularly clear on whose standing where in that double cross since the ceo knows they're trying to space-vamp everyone and is counting on it.

Hopefully its back to scheduled robot punching beyond just next week.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Considering Star Driver's premise I think the folks behind these shows aren't too concerned about how their mechs will fit into SRW :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I love how the Ark plan is "Well maybe if we put the elites in cryosleep in orbit they won't notice and kill them when they kill everyone else."

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
As soon as the computer said they were Space Vampires, all I could hope for was for things to go off the rails Valvrave style soon.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I'm surprised no one has said this yet but cup phone will be missed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

serebralassazin posted:

I'm surprised no one has said this yet but cup phone will be missed.

Cup phone was easily the most compelling character in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm just glad we know what's going on now.

• Locked thread