Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gyra_Solune posted:

...you know I feel like SRW would switch around this arc and the previous one, because currently the show is veering into the bad guys recruiting members and trying to activate their death robots while the hero stops them in his little tiny armor mech, but the previous episodes were launching into space and making that robot super powered to fight those very death robots, while his best friend makes the 'AUUUGH I'M AN ALIEEEEN' reveal dramatically and brings out his own death robot.

I feel like a more coherently written series would do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

gently caress yeah Nebula transformation scene! :circlefap:

Also I guess nothing is faster than the speed of exposition, holy cow they took forever letting Teppei launch. But I guess he's a Jedi now? So that's cool.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow the Nebula seems to be roughly a million times better than Earth. Poor Daichi never got giant lightsabers or energy shields.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Stall_19 posted:

So 12 year old girl can end all human life at her leisure. Whelp, no one better piss her off.

To be fair she specifically said she blew all of the backdoors that she knew about. So she couldn't do it again.

Which was pretty dumb as then the next thing I would do is kidnap her the next day after she called it off.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dexo posted:

To be fair she specifically said she blew all of the backdoors that she knew about. So she couldn't do it again.

Which was pretty dumb as then the next thing I would do is kidnap her the next day after she called it off.

Presumably there's no way in loving hell Globe will ever let her go anywhere alone ever again now, so I don't think that's really a concern.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Captain Earth is so much better at his job on Earth.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Not so big a fan on the Nebula's color scheme. It's blue, with light blue as a secondary color. I like blue as much as the next guy but that is just too much blue without anything to offset it, it makes too much of the design just blur together.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
The one thing that bothers me about this arc is how horribly reactive the protagonists are being. It's like they realized after the first time they don't actually have any idea what the designer children look like, so they figured they'd just go to the general area and gently caress around all day until the robot shows up. Even in the preview they seem surprised they might actually get to one of the Planetary Gears first.

I'm pegging Lieban as a potential defector considering the whole wind thing.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 8, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Two things about this episode:

1. Holy gently caress, can someone assign these kids some armed guards? Please? This is like the fifth time the enemy has directly attacked them on foot, and it looks like it's going to happen yet again.

2. The Nebula is cool as gently caress.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

Not so big a fan on the Nebula's color scheme. It's blue, with light blue as a secondary color. I like blue as much as the next guy but that is just too much blue without anything to offset it, it makes too much of the design just blur together.

It's very megaman, ain't nothing wrong with megaman. :colbert:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

No robot fighting in the last episode, which was pretty unfortunate.

Have they explained anything about the Neotenies besides "gets a gun," "girls can't use the gun," and "can pilot giant robots?" I feel fairly confident in my understanding of the kiltgang/designer children, but when someone says neoteny I still don't really know what that means.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

From my reading "Neoteny" basically translates to "Non-Kiltgang who can actively channel Orgone energy at will".

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

ninjewtsu posted:

No robot fighting in the last episode, which was pretty unfortunate.

Have they explained anything about the Neotenies besides "gets a gun," "girls can't use the gun," and "can pilot giant robots?" I feel fairly confident in my understanding of the kiltgang/designer children, but when someone says neoteny I still don't really know what that means.

I get the impression that eventually the girls will probably get a giant robot, why else would they have matching spacesuits to the two who do get the guns? Hana was like designed to fire one of the guns, I figure eventually that will like...awaken and she'll be able to run around in a robot whenever she wants.

...And I personally don't get the kiltgang designer children at all. They're artificially made kids, right? So why do they have the memories of apparently aliens stuck out near Uranus? The recent episodes have all been delving into their past being raised by the corporation people but that only makes me more and more confused when I remember 'wait aren't these guys supposed to be from space'? And why does them sitting in a cockpit meant to plug into mecha have them transfer their consciousness to their alien space robot forms? And why could the two become those space mecha at will early on but now the later people have to hang around in their mecha for a few minutes before they can do it?

I'm so lost.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, one part of that seems fairly obvious. Macbeth has Puck. Macbeth made all of the designer children. Puck serves the kiltgangs. We don't know where Puck came from. So this whole mess was the result of a corporation being stupidly dependent on a supercomputer they either found or was taken over by the aliens.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Gyra_Solune posted:

...And I personally don't get the kiltgang designer children at all. They're artificially made kids, right? So why do they have the memories of apparently aliens stuck out near Uranus? The recent episodes have all been delving into their past being raised by the corporation people but that only makes me more and more confused when I remember 'wait aren't these guys supposed to be from space'?
The designer children were made to be vessels for the Kiltgang(s?). Up until they awaken, they're essentially normal humans with colorful hair and a superpower or two, but when they're exposed to technobabble energy or have anime makeouts with another designer child who's already awakened the Kiltgang they're tied to gets uploaded to their brain and takes over.

Gyra_Solune posted:

And why does them sitting in a cockpit meant to plug into mecha have them transfer their consciousness to their alien space robot forms?
As far as anybody outside knows, Macbeth built the Machine Goodfellows as regular old fighting robots. Their secret secondary function is they can shoot a Kiltgang's consciousness (the ego block) from its human host up into space, where it can turn into a giant fighting robot. I have no idea how that's supposed to work but it's probably not important.

Gyra_Solune posted:

And why could the two become those space mecha at will early on but now the later people have to hang around in their mecha for a few minutes before they can do it?
Back when it was just blue and pink shooting up in Macbeth HQ the protagonists had no way to stop them, so the countdown got skipped because it wasn't dramatically relevant. Why have the villains spent the last five episodes running down the timer out in the open where Daichi can get to them instead of moving their robopod somewhere safe first? Goooooood question!

Gyra_Solune posted:

I'm so lost.
It's understandable.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 17, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

To add on to what Opposing Farce said, Macbeth CEO Guy has been consciously working with the Kiltgangs for a while(and doing things like making Designer Children and Machine Goodfellows for them) because he wants the Kiltgangs to kill everyone on Earth but the people hiding in cryosleep so that he can rule the post-apocalypse Earth. He's getting played by the evil computer and the cryosleep people are gonna die too, of course.

They really haven't explained why activating a Machine Goodfellow involves them attaching it to a giant easily noticeable robot and stomping around with it for a few minutes yet(and I suspect they never will because it seems to be a conceit to let us get some Earth Engine Ordinary fighting action), nor have they explained why they don't just go activate 3 or 4 of them at the same time from a boat in the middle of the ocean or something.

Come to think of it, they also never explain why Globe doesn't track where the Machine Goodfellow pod is going when it visibly rockets off into the sky like an ejector seat when Daichi blows up the robot it's attached to. This fighting immortal aliens thing would be pretty easy if we sent a few security teams and rounded them up and threw them in prison when they're stuck on foot.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 17, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Kanos posted:

They really haven't explained why activating a Machine Goodfellow involves them attaching it to a giant easily noticeable robot and stomping around with it for a few minutes yet(and I suspect they never will because it seems to be a conceit to let us get some Earth Engine Ordinary fighting action), nor have they explained why they don't just go activate 3 or 4 of them at the same time from a boat in the middle of the ocean or something.

I think what they've established is the Machine Goodfellows were explicitly developed as fighting robots for regular humans to pilot, and their Kiltgang-related true purpose is a secret to most people. They don't have to turn into robots and stomp around waiting for their space energy to charge, but the fact that they can conveniently means they have a way to defend themselves when they're too impatient to move somewhere they won't get shot at by hostile Earth Engines.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Opposing Farce posted:

I think what they've established is the Machine Goodfellows were explicitly developed as fighting robots for regular humans to pilot, and their Kiltgang-related true purpose is a secret to most people. They don't have to turn into robots and stomp around waiting for their space energy to charge, but the fact that they can conveniently means they have a way to defend themselves when they're too impatient to move somewhere they won't get shot at by hostile Earth Engines.

I mean yeah it's an excuse for robot action but they'd have a much better success rate if they just hid the Machine Goodfellow in a warehouse for three minutes, considering Globe's only way to detect these things is Hana's squirrel saying "There will be a machine goodfellow in this twenty mile radius sometime in the next couple of days or something".

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just posting to say I watched the first episode yesterday, and I love it. I was going through kill la kill but I think I might put that on hold to catch up to this. It just looks so drat great, are they going for a 24-26 episode run on this?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Kanos posted:

I mean yeah it's an excuse for robot action but they'd have a much better success rate if they just hid the Machine Goodfellow in a warehouse for three minutes, considering Globe's only way to detect these things is Hana's squirrel saying "There will be a machine goodfellow in this twenty mile radius sometime in the next couple of days or something".

Once a Machine Goodfellow activates, Globe immediately catches on to it on their own ("MM Bus signal detected"), so being in a stompy robot actually helps them more than anything, in the event they get intercepted. As well it seems that the newly-awakened Planetary Gears are more interested in exercising their power than having any real common sense about it: Zimbalt was specifically told to get the hell out when Daichi showed up in Earth Engine Ordinary but he completely ignored the order, and Lieban actively sought him out (both times Amarok's reaction was pretty much "Seriously? Come on"). Aiatar actually did just hang out and do nothing until Daichi came around, and with her MG being an artillery robot it makes more sense that she'd be out in the open to wreck Earth Engine in the face than hide in closed quarters.

But yeah, giant robot action.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 17, 2014

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

I was going through kill la kill but I think I might put that on hold to catch up to this.

Don't do that. Kill La Kill is easily better than this show has been so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

Don't do that. Kill La Kill is easily better than this show has been so far.

I think that KlK is heavily flawed and I still agree with this. CE has been a whole lot of nothing thus far.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
No worries, i burned through the rest of it in a couple days. It was pretty great, and now I've got time to catch up on this.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

New Opening and it's already spoiling that Setsuna will join Planetary Gear and the protagonists will get EVA-02 along with a spaceship (Blume?)

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lurking Haro posted:

New Opening and it's already spoiling that Setsuna will join Planetary Gear and the protagonists will get EVA-02 along with a spaceship (Blume?)

Yeah I assume the spaceship was Blume. Everybody seemed to know what Blume was so I kept thinking I was forgetting something.

Daichi was about to be one of the best anime high schoolers ever for actually kissing a girl but then he quickly fell from the rankings when he just let her run away with out saying anything.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Haha I love the latest episode, going full on Operation British here. :allears:

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
I dropped this show at episode 6, but I am going to jump back in after watching Knights of Sidonia and jonesing for mechs, especially ones with silly hats.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
So Hana was pretty much 'No I'm a monster and you'll hate me because I can shoot a giant laser from my spaceship to save the world'

Come on Daichi the first thing you should've said when she did that is 'Whoa that was pretty awesome'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

So Hana was pretty much 'No I'm a monster and you'll hate me because I can shoot a giant laser from my spaceship to save the world'

Come on Daichi the first thing you should've said when she did that is 'Whoa that was pretty awesome'.

She did make it fairly clear that she believes he'll hate her because it's supposed to be her job to kill him and she kinda-sorta-almost wants to. Which is generally kind of a dealbreaker. I think everyone knows by now that Daichi is cool with freaky space aliens who don't want to kill him.

Odds on the Blume being this show's version of Samekh from Star Driver?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Odds are pretty short, everythings pointing to them using it to take the fight to the kiltgang ship on the edge of the system.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Seeing them in the new opening reminds me that we still have no idea what that schoolkid who Diachi met in the first episode even was.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
We totally do? Its pretty explicitly the livlaster. They mentioned a while back a while back that it has its own intelligence and the last two times someones gained the use of one its been heard playing twinkle twinkle little star on a recorder just like when it approached Daichi. Plus, you know, there's that shot in the first opening where the little blue haired kid actually turns into Daichi's livlaster.

Episode was extremely rad anyway, it's nice to see Hana moving beyond being the naive fanservice alien girl. Had a huge grin on my face for those last 5 minutes of the episode.

Its great that the shows actually going somewhere now, but they really should/could have gotten here like 3 or 4 episodes earlier.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On this episode, it's interesting that despite Hana spending well over half the show being totally demure, passive, and sweet-natured, her Engine and Livlaster are totally geared towards offence. I mean, the Flare Engine seems to be loaded up with all of the guns ever, and whilst, say, Teppei's magic penis-gun can create a shield to protect his friends, Hana's will loving hunt you down.

Also, jesus christ Puck :stonk:. I mean, everyone and their pet alien squirrel knew some form of that twist was coming, but I doubt many of us expected things to get that freaky.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Nice to see Hana continue to get more agency, doesn't quite make up for the first half of the series yet but its a start.

Really not sure how the whole puck thing works if he's both the computer and the rewritten Kube at the same time.

Seems like atleast half of the planetary gears are on track to become good guys at the end what with how puck is so obviously the true villain.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah fully expecting the planetary gear agenda to simply be a means to an end for Puck, and once it's revealed that they've been getting played they'll defect. Can't wait to see what kind of crazy robot Puck will ultimately use in the final confrontation! :getin:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Yeah fully expecting the planetary gear agenda to simply be a means to an end for Puck, and once it's revealed that they've been getting played they'll defect. Can't wait to see what kind of crazy robot Puck will ultimately use in the final confrontation! :getin:

I hope it is just a giant fabulous fairy robot to fit his name.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Artum posted:

Nice to see Hana continue to get more agency, doesn't quite make up for the first half of the series yet but its a start.

Really not sure how the whole puck thing works if he's both the computer and the rewritten Kube at the same time.

A computer can run the same programs on multiple platforms, and Puck seems to be built with hyper-advanced Planetary Gear tech. The body is basically an avatar for his big ol' robot brain.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Puck put a chip in his brain or replaced most of it with a receiver or something. If the how is important, we'll hear about it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I was thinking, though - they're drawing heavily on the Midsummer's Night Dream parallels, and in that, Puck was a loyal agent of Oberon in a low-key fairy civil war. What if the Planetary Gears' mothership has its own agenda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Puck was using the Install system, he literally copied over Kube's mind.

• Locked thread