Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

http://tiredgamer.ytmnd.com/

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/714549-dead-or-alive-5-ultimate/68883543

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

"Rampart Misogyny" is a great band name.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

iuvian posted:

This is just something Nintendo Power contracted an artist to draw, nobody who actually was involved with Metroid or Nintendo approved it

Actually this was made when Super Metroid came out because it's what they decided she would look like at the time. She looks like this in the Japanese TV spots for the game also. Contrast that with the ads Nintendo Japan ran for Zero Mission where it's mostly zoomed in shots of an Asian model's butt.

Beyond the character design though, you can definitely see Nintendo's attempts to make the series appeal to Japanese gamers more as it goes on. A succinct way to do this is to look at the Japanese commercials for the games. I think you can even see them all in one like five minute youtube video.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I don't know if I'd go that far. These are the equivalent of churned out sitcom episodes. Like the first strip posted there where she finds a power up and is awed/confused by it. You can replace her with any character and you'd have the joke strip for that character's game. I've seen those for Contra, Ghost in the Shell, etc. They're done by template practically.

ImpAtom posted:

That's a joke manga. Like explicitly, it's in a style called "4-koma' and used for silly exaggerated parodies very frequently.

Yeah I was gonna say, every popular game of every type from Etrian Odyssey to Resident Evil to King of Fighters to Contra has a billion of these.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 19, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of Metroid Prime and critically acclaimed and gamers.txt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGnF2NXy5es

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Other M fans never forgive, never forget. Never learned how to count.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOfVfgo7zvY

This interview with Jessica Martin was one of many damage control presentations they did about Other M after release. The best is the "no really the voice acting is SUPPOSED to be bland" part.

The interviews with Reggie were the best, he was genuinely puzzled and confused at the game selling badly.

I think part of why I like talking about games that had a horrible direction or reception these days is more for the gamers.txt coming from the developers than from the gamers.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 19, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TerminusEst13 posted:

Though I'm loathe to speak in its defense (could this even be called a defense?), it actually was supposed to be bland. Sakamoto personally stepped in and directed the English VAs himself, wanting them to be more listless and dry.

Why a Japanese guy decided to step in to coach English VAs (who are legitimately good actors at that)...well, let's just say the game's dev history is chock full of developers.txt. :v:

I'm aware of this because it's like the first thing she says in the clip I posted.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Does Raiden/the cyborgs have white blood in the Japanese version of Rising? There are a few actiony games where the US release got extra/much more blood in it like Bushido Blade and Guts' Rage and No More Heroes. I always found it interesting how Alien was so influential that white blood is used so often as an immediate "this dude is a robot" indicator for the audience.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

You can post those things here because most developers are awful idiots too

If only he had lived long enough to see Ken Levine's true vision he would decided that video games are a high art. But with his eerily timed death now no one will ever acknowledge what I do as a high art. You gotta be kidding me Cliffy.

Ekster posted:

gamingjournalism.txt

I was crying and laughing the entire time. Why not Silent Hill 2? Hell, even Dark Souls would've made a better fit.

I don't believe Dark Souls was out when this was filmed though.

The most laughable thing about it though is that, and it's not like I'm expecting much from a two minute CNN clip, but he offers ZERO critical analysis of Metroid Prime and why it works as a game. Just the most superficial (well Citizen Kane did ___ and Metroid Prime also kinda sorta does things in a way that are almost similar to ___ therefore it's like Citizen Kane!) description of why it's good.

Does anyone still have the Destroyed Beauty concept art book that was given out to people at E3 and also packaged with the collector's edition of Gears of War 1? The first page is incredible it's a page long splurge from Cliffy B. about how the game was inspired by his somber trip to the Imperial War Museum in London and how after Unreal Tournament and such he knew his next game, GEARS OF WAR was going to be about "more than just generic space marines" and be really character focused and have a strong story and stuff, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Because of the number of horrible female characters listed, I honestly didn't realize the viewpoint of the second comic was the opposite of the first until the final panel.

• Locked thread