Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't commit the crime of being hispanic and playing Dota.

My favorite part is how he assumes owning a car alone means his life is already better than theirs.
Or that he just assumes that they're Mexican when like the majority of countries in the western hemisphere have predominantly Spanish-speaking populations.

So someone posted a promotional image of Rosalina with her suit and an ATV from Mario Kart 8. Her suit is white and is textured like leather. Of course, gamers being gamers, creepy happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't commit the crime of being hispanic and playing Dota.

My favorite part is how he assumes owning a car alone means his life is already better than theirs.
Or that he just assumes that they're Mexican when like the majority of countries in the western hemisphere have predominantly Spanish-speaking populations.

So someone posted a promotional image of Rosalina with her suit and an ATV from Mario Kart 8. Her suit is white and is textured like leather. Of course, gamers being gamers, creepy happened.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

DiscoMouse posted:

Is this a new record on gamers.txt coming from inside the thread? That is not what DriveShaft said and you know it.
I think they're just attracted to that new thread smell, you know? ^^^ Also what KittyEmpress said.

zen sex robot posted:

This is more mental-disorders.txt than gamers.txt even if it is pretty hosed up.
On the other hand, with 'defenders' like this, the industry certainly doesn't need enemies:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Final Fantasy III board for the SNES is the best place for this sort of rant.

The topic in question is proclaiming sexual attraction for the protagonist.
Which protagonist? The game has like seven.

Adam Bowen posted:

What was particularly great about that was that FF13 wasn't even switching consoles. They just decided to release it on the 360 in addition to the PS3
What I think is particularly great about it is that Final Fantasy XIII turned out to be a pretty bad game after that rant.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

...Now I only know about FFXIII through second and third-hand sources, but I thought Fang (the tall woman with a non-white ambiguous ethnicity) and Vanille (Pink haired woman-child) were the most... er, obvious couple.

More from gamefaqs

quote:

Issues? Requiring girls to have a personality is issues?
Girl with looks + no personality = lol
Girl with personality + no looks = lol

why settle? well, unless you can't get a girl with looks and personality but if you can get both then take both.
Attraction can be reduced to a simple mathematical formula. lol - personality = X. Solve for X.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Voyager I posted:

I can't make it past three sentences at a time.
Stronger constitution than me. I saw the heading "Litter Box Logic" and darted for the back button.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Console fanboyism, I can kind of understand. You like a thing, you want other people to like a thing, you want a sense of community and validation.

This guy doesn't seem to be a fanboy OF anything, he's just got a massive hate-on for Sony. He has no sources, so I'm skeptical any of these are remotely accurate:

quote:

Finally, someone else who knows what's really going on and someone who's ignoring the ludicrous hyperbole and fanboy talking points.

Sony is nearly $50 billion dollars in red. $15 billion in losses on PS3 and $30 billion dollars worth of capital gone in a decade's time.

You don't lose half your entire company capital and expect to be in black.

Let's see: In TVs, Toshiba,LG and Samsung outselling and clobbering them 7 to 1.

PC Notebooks: Just sold off their division. Expected to gain $3 billion from the sale but still must pay $1 billion of that to stakeholders.

Cameras and Camcorders: JVC is beating them.

Columbia/Epic Records: Revenue has declined.

Sony/Columbia Pictures: Hasn't produced a box office hit in 7 years.

Sony Store: Just closed 80% of all its stores in America.

Expenditures: Sold off property to pay for PS4. When a corporation rents property they are paying for it through loans meaning, they'll soon be paying creditors back.

Credit Rating: JUNK. Meaning 2 years away from bankruptcy.

SCEI and its products.

PSP: Dead overseas. On life support domestically.

PS3: Declining in Japan. Has had overall slow sales overseas during its 7 year lifespan(not helped by $15 billion estimated losses on it. 7 years of R&D+4 years of budget shortfall losses).

Vita: Dismal sales worldwide. Modest Japanese software sales but if the product isn't selling, that makes no difference.

Vita TV: Bombed in Japan. Despite cheap price.

PS4: Got off to a strong start overseas, but completely lacking must-buy software, lackluster software sales and has no exclusives, period. Yield problems causing shortages, still being sold at a loss. Domestic sales, completely abysmal.

All of this and their fanboys still think Sony is in black?!

Wait who said Sony was in the black? I thought this argument was bout whether Square-Enix was going to continue developing for them. :psyduck:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

AugmentedVision posted:

I know you were going for a different meaning of "hook up" but if you take out the Voltron part what you said is kinda true
Congratulations: you just discovered the concept of Double Entendre. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Shroom King posted:

The trick is to search for things that only a mentally ill person would look for, and add a videogame character's name at the end of the search string. I found the below gamers.txt with about 2 seconds of googling:

The first nine are less gross but still... extremely enthusiastic...

10. She's hip, she's hot, and she's all that! (yes, both her AND Rachael Leigh Cook!)
9. She's really strong!
8. She's a nice, sweet, friendly, and kind-hearted girl in a tough girl's body!
7. She's an adult, but acts like a teenager!
6. She's a tomboy in terms of clothing, but acts like a silly girly girl!
5. She's very happy and upbeat!
4. She has a very high-pitched voice!
3. She uses her superhuman strength to make Sora flinch, and then sighs in her sweet, girlish voice and walks away peacefully.
2. She has a great last name that signifies that the Heartless can't get her, because her heart is locked! If she and Cloud confirm that they love each other, together, they will defeat Sephiroth! Besides, I think they make a great couple!

I'm sure that's what they were thinking when they named Tifa in the mid 1990s: the Heartless couldn't get her.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Actually this was made when Super Metroid came out because it's what they decided she would look like at the time. She looks like this in the Japanese TV spots for the game also. Contrast that with the ads Nintendo Japan ran for Zero Mission where it's mostly zoomed in shots of an Asian model's butt.

Beyond the character design though, you can definitely see Nintendo's attempts to make the series appeal to Japanese gamers more as it goes on. A succinct way to do this is to look at the Japanese commercials for the games. I think you can even see them all in one like five minute youtube video.
What gets me is that even after this ultimately proved disastrous with Other M, which performed badly everywhere, they're still using the Other M Varia suit and face design. Hell, Other M has a better Samus model than Smash 4.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Rasa, I looked up the commercials like you said... the only one that really sexualized Samus was the Japanese Zero Mission commercial and sort of the US Echoes commercial. It did provide me with a pretty :rolleyes:.jpg though.

Note the date the video was posted.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 19, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

RottenK posted:

Why are these people even alive, anyone that dumb should've forgotten how to breath years ago.
...Chell's long fall boots aren't even high-heels. They're exactly the opposite of high heels.:psyduck:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

more from Kotaku

Helba, Per Tenebrae, Lux.. no poo poo that's his loving user name posted:

Not a matter of cred, and I understand what you're getting at, however:

Many of the underlying principles of third-and-fourth-wave Feminism are, at their core, Misandry and Fascism. Plain and simple.

Not to mention, "making an effort to include" translates to "making it easier for one group and not others". Is that Equality?

And now, in this day and age, we have the INVERSE problem. The majority of Collegiate applicants and student bodies are female. So, by the Feminist logic, shouldn't we then lower the requirements for males to make things "Equal"?

You should be judged by your skill, not your gender. But your gender shouldn't net you any special privileges either - which means that you can't cry sexism if someone is more qualified.

biblio posted:

OMG! I remember the "Men Going Their Own Way Forums!"

It's an off-shoot of an older website. "Niceguy's American Women Suck."

I read that website in it's entirety, and was a very active member on those forums like, 10 years ago. Glad to see that the Original Contributor to that site lived happily ever after, and another guy has been passed the torch. I remember reading his posts on the forums when it was in it's infancy.

For what it's worth, that web page inspired me to move to Japan. And from that experience I can safely say that "Yes. An alarming percentage of women residing in the US are miserable, hateful, manipulative, corrupted skanks, and our culture simply embraces it."

DocSuess posted:

It's possible they hate women because the women they encounter are so incredibly easy? I mean, think about it: if you're constantly exposed to a bunch of (presumably) vapid airheads that just want a good loving, wouldn't you grow a bit resentful of them?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

MizPiz posted:

For content, I have the greenlight description for an overtly anime JRPG (sounds redundent, but it's accurate). I don't know if it actually belongs, but something about it just seems off.
Well for starters that WARNING at the end is trigger enough for your alarm bells. Tackling themes like sexual violence is hard enough outside of games, let alone in a vidja game with cute anime bobble-head character sprites.

The other thing is this isn't actually a JRPG but a Western (North American by the sound of the narrator's accent)-developed indie game in JRPG dress. The artstyle isn't 'overtly anime', it's just badly done anime by someone with less talent than your even hackier manga writers, and judging by the 'eight years' of fiction and the insistence that it's based in logic and doesn't break the fourth wall for cheap gags, it looks like it's taking itself way too seriously.

Which means in the unlikely event it gets funded, the final product should be magical. :allears:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Hey remember when Polygon gave Dragon's Crown a middling score and then the publisher sent a guy to comment on it saying "Yo, don't take it out on the reviewer, she gave her honest opinion."?

I wish Ken Levine was more like that guy.

quote:

I just enjoy the hysterical leftist wanna-be gender police acting like the far right morality police and attempting to exert influence over a medium that they know absolutely nothing about. Like the Parents Television Council or whatever the group was that tried to get D&D banned, since the SJWs don't enjoy video games (because they view them as "masculine" and hence driven by evil white, straight, cis-males) they are determined to destroy them. I'm not really upset because the more they shriek and flail their arms like toddlers, the faster their movement falls apart.
4-chan is cheating

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

In a few months Zynga is going to post an almost exact clone of Adam Bowen's post that will be much more popular and make more money.
Yes but then King.com will sue them for including the term "SJW" because of their new original IP, Social Justice Saga.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

My favorite games are Super Mario World, Spelunky, Just Cause 2 and Katamari Damacy. None of those have a story in any way. I certainly don't think a story is required to make a compelling game, I was just curious if any game had done it.
I assume you've played games other than those four in the past 20 years, right? Plenty of games have a good story and good gameplay, more now than ever before. What games mostly suck at is integrating story and gameplay. Most games, whether their stories are bad or good or perfunctory, segregate completely by having story happen in non-interactive cut-scenes (or worse, quick time events). Hell, Gone Home isn't novel in its approach--it tells its story the same way that Metroid Prime does--you find audio and written logs while exploring a creepy location where you are isolated and have no allies.

The important thing to take away is that nobody is trying to destroy the loving games industry, misoginy within the gaming industry will destroy it twice before crazy SJWs on their tumblrs make a dent, and if you can't take (or block out) criticism of your hobby from Leftists or Feminists or whatever the boogeyman of the week is then you deserve to be mocked in this thread as much as CisScumPwner64 does.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Doc Neutral posted:

One thing that has been buggering me for a while is why do big AAA devs who are losing loads of money(Square Enix) continously target a small(and very vocal) market base namely the adolescent male when women who make up around 45% of gamers aren't target at all, it's like they don't want womens money.
I don't think Square Enix of all people are guilty of tageting only male gamers. Final Fantasy has a huge fanbase of women (E.G. the aforementioned Sephiroth fangirls), as does Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest. Unless you mean their subsidiaries like Eidos, in which case... your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they think Tomb Raider gives them enough feminist cred to be horrible with their Hitman advertising.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Paul Dini is pretty much Comicbooks.txt in the flesh, and him throwing Cartoon Network under the bus is beautiful in a scum eats scum sort of way.
Wait what? The interviewer Kevin Smith is hella lot more of a weirdo than Paul Dini.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

From the SteamFront thread

quote:

I don't think their are any stormfronter groups on steam, how ever anyone that's interested can friend my steam name, supermusketshot

I play saints row the third and no more room in hell
Ah yes, nothing supports white supremacy like the game where you lead a ragtag band of misfits and psychopaths of all races, genders, and sexualities against a curmudgeonly old white military man who wants to eliminate street gangs by killing literally everyone in them and staging a terrorist attack.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

drat. I mean, I get that people have triggers, that PTSD is a serious thing.

But I mean, it seems like the obvious solution here is not playing minecraft.

Or, hell, if she's playing in a community with others, there's no reason they can't just delegate tasks for her that don't require going into caves, like farming, animal management, whatever...

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

What :airquote:injust treatment:airquote: is this person referring to for those of us not up to speed on our Mass Effect?
I'd have to know what "ethero" FemShep means before I could even begin to chip away at the bullshit mound in which the answer is buried.

e: vvv
Is it really just a typo for hetero? If so there are only two straight options for Femshep--the lizard alien and the blandest man ever born on Earth.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 22, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Nintendo isn't allowed to set RRPs in the UK, right?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

I'm just confused why Samus only qualifies 'sans Prime'. Samus was built up as a total badass and prophesied savior in those games.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

I really wish bayonetta 2 was coming to a non-hilariously sad platform.

In fact that announcement is what spawned the gamers.txt classic:

Oh yeah, Bayonetta 2 being Wii U exclusive produced some pretty great gamers.txt.

quote:

I think the mainly bullshit part is that Bayonetta as a game was made for "standard consoles" like 360/PS3. There is no valid reason why a sequel to said game need to be EXCLUSIVELY on a special console like WiiU, since it isn't a spin-off, but a true sequel.

I guess part of people's anger is that the fans of the original are often gamers who felt no desire to get a WiiU (core gamers), and yet right now they feel like they are being "forced" to do so.
No valid reason... except that console's manufacturer funding and publishing a game that wouldn't have been made at all otherwise.

Creepy posted:

Good, good, keep reminding [JP_Kellams] about all the fans and potential sales he lost. Call yourself a whore, expect to be treated like one.
At least his username is honest.

Adam Bowen posted:

You see, if a female character doesn't embrace her own sexuality it's because the evil men fear female sexuality. Denying the existence of female sexuality is a method the patriarchy uses to take agency away from them and reduce them to sub-human.

If a female character does embrace her sexuality, it's because the evil men view women only as sexual creatures. Portraying female sexuality is a method the patriarchy uses to take agency from them and reduce them to sub-human.
oh my god shut the gently caress up already

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Perestroika posted:

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a parody of those kind of rants that complain about the "homosexual agenda" in games because nowadays gay characters are occasionally included. The "think of the children" bit seems to point in that direction as well. At least I sincerely hope that's the case.
I hope it's a parody. Especially considering they're talking about an M-Rated game full of violence and profanity, yet freaking out over 420 emblems.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Forums Barber posted:

tl;dr devs are TOTALLY going to spend months optimizing their code for the Wii U, guys.
I think I've encountered that guy before at Wii U Daily. He's a flat-out lunatic. Like, no amount of optimization is going to magically make the Wii U outperform the PS4 and XBO. I'm starting to wonder if he's not some sort of elaborate performance troll.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

chumbler posted:

"Anyway check out my skin idea."
You should have checked out his skin idea.

quote:

Ok guys they need to forget dragon slayer Bruam for now and make Barack O-Braum-a

Barack O-Braum-a or Patriotic Braum

So he would be white or black with a beard in a suit and his poro should be in black shades with an earpiece( like secret service ). His shield would have a bald eagle with an olive branch and a scroll in its claws and in the background there would be a american flag and there would be fireworks sticking out from behind the shield

His Passive would display a eagle (cut into fourths) or three stripes with a star

His Q: he would slam his shield sending out a red, white, and blue firework

His W: Braum would jump to and ally and give him a pat on the back. He would then pull out a American flag and inspire his back patted companion giving them both an armor and magic resist bonus

His E: Braum would conjure a giant Bill of Rights and not only protect his allies from all projectiles in front of him, but also their rights.

His R: He would jump up and slam the ground while screaming "Murica" while sending out firework explosions front of him in a straight line and leave behind a slow trail that would be little fire crackers

His taunt: he would throw up his shield while talking and when is lands some fireworks on top would shake and then go of when he finished talking

His recall: he would slam his shield into the ground and it would start smoking at the bottom, then Braum would hold on while the fireworks went off and he flies up, up, and away

So, please comment on the idea and give some feedback because i would love if this became a reality because this is a complete 100% original idea

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Most of those are true, though... despite the fact the guy comes off as a real self-important :spergin:

quote:

If I choose to point out sexism in gaming, my observations will not be seen as self-serving, and will therefore be perceived as more credible and worthy of respect than those of my female counterparts, even if they are saying the exact same thing.
That one is outright false. You'll be called a white knight, a beta, just doing it because (you think) it will get you laid.

quote:

Because it was created by a straight white male, this checklist will likely be taken more seriously than if it had been written by virtually any female gamer.
Also false, because misogynists don't give a poo poo who calls them out.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Penakoto posted:

It was the Japanese developers worried that the US audience wouldn't take to kindly to it, Japan though gives no fucks.

I believe Poison remains female in Japanese versions of Final Fight, but is either transgender or replaced with non-identical male characters in US versions, depending on the edition.

It also wasn't really a mistake, it was a conscious decision to make Poison a transexual as a solution to the "americans don't like the idea of boys hitting girls" problem.
...Because beating the poo poo out of transwomen is so much less offensive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

All that clears up for me is that Capcom really needs to just not talk about Poison's gender, ever. They apparently actually had Ryu use the word 'trap' in one of his victory dialogs against her.

• Locked thread