Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

The steam forums for Goat Simulator are a fantastic source of gamers.txt quotes. For those who don't know, Goat Sim is a dumb as hell game that's just about playing with physics in a sandbox environment. Nerds are raging about this game since it isn't super serious or bug free (it embraces bugs that don't crash the game). TotalBiscuit did a lovely review of it where he complained that the game would lag when trying to render the 50+ goats he summoned (all of which had their own ragdoll physics and interacted with the environment individually). He also hated it because it wasn't serious and had bugs in it. The game is $10 and completely stupid and fun for fun's sake yet some people just get enraged at this thought. Anyways, enough backstory and on to some choice quotes:

quote:

The fact is that this game is NO WHERE near as great looking as most games nowadays, so if his beast [TotalBiscuit's SLI Titans] can't run it properly it's clearly because the game is poorly optimised. The devs didn't work on it for long, and it shows.

"The game is clearly a joke from the start."

Well everyone knows that, but the joke cost $10. That's the problem. The fact that it sells this much is like asking for more poorly programmed games with no story and lack of features (come on now, they want US to program a multiplayer mod instead of working on this joke one more week?). The game is just not good (even if you think it's funny, you know it's a bad game), and I'd rather see a good game in the top sellers instead of an extremely dumbed down version of Just Cause 2 where the only fun part is the glitches (that are always the same so it gets old extremely quickly).

I'm not raging BTW, just explaining to you where the "hate" comes from. I'll never buy this game and I'll never care about people who do.

As a side note to this one, I have a GTX 760 and run the game at Max settings and have no problem with the FPS until I spawn a bunch of goats and basically do a lot of physics stuff.

Same guy posted:

Buying a joke $10 makes your opinion biased because you secretly don't want to feel like wasting your money.
Also, with a game like this where the fun comes from what you see (rather than a feeling of accomplishement or from the skills you have to master) it's easy to make your own opinion from let's plays. Just like I could see a video from a new Pac-Man and know if I will enjoy it, because it's such a simple game with little features that if you don't enjoy what you see, you will not enjoy performing it yourself.

If I don't find it funny to see a goat exploding a car with a headbutt (mostly because there's nothing else to do with a car, it's funny the first time and then you never try it again) and will not find it funny to do it myself. This applies to everything in this game, since the only reason it exists is to make the player laugh, as opposed to another game where it also offers challenges to overcome, a story to discover and skills to master that you can't understand just by looking at it.

quote:

Yes, I got banned...because I actually threw insults out there.

Now, I just throw facts. So if facts about a game = Insults. Then, screw it...it's almost worth it just to point out how much this game really means in relation to the dumbing down of the gaming industry.

This game was not deserving of being rewarded with a purchase from the amount of people that did go out of their way to purchase it.

THIS IS NOT THE KIND OF ♥♥♥♥ YOU REWARD WITH A PURCHASE!

You don't think so now... but this will have repercussions as far as the direction things will start moving.

If you haven't noticed the amount of shovelware being dumped into the steam store shelves....
Then I don't know what else to say.

And I think it bears repeating again.
The amount of ♥♥♥♥♥ing that the "Community" does over certain other games being unfinished messes...

There's oh so many more on the steam community forums where people get pissed that someone enjoys a really stupid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

The Goat Sim steam forums are still the best place to get dumb quotes.

quote:

Probablly a new easter egg, or maybe not....
Just saying... did anyone notice the lantern on top of the barrel in the corner of the house where you start? Just saying...

I am talking about a reference to amnesia or possibly even pewdiepie, I don't know.

quote:

Why is this NOT in greenlight?
There are lots of big and better projects. Why I see this at market while better games are forced to gain votes.

quote:

Excuse me, but if u actually took the time to look in the store page, before telling me to get my ♥♥♥♥ straight, you would have noticed that it says "Genre: Casual, Indie, Simulation" which is not true. If you happened to be the type of fool that bough this game but now regret it, I can assure you that you can get a full refund if you point out the false advertising.

• Locked thread