Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

The previous SF4 thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416630

Street Fighter IV (ストリートファイター IV Sutorīto Faitā Fō?) is a 2008 fighting game produced by Capcom. Upon its release, the game received universal critical acclaim; receiving universally high scores from many gaming websites and magazines. Multiple major updates to the game have since been released, including Super Street Fighter IV, Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, and a balance update called Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition 2012. In a surprising decision to shorten the title, Capcom announced Ultra Street Fighter IV would be released in early 2014. The update will be distributed as both a paid downloadable update for Super Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, and as a standalone retail game.

In addition, Capcom has confirmed that the PC version of Ultra Street Fighter IV will abandon Games for Windows - LIVE in favor of Steam.

Release Information:
    Arcade Version: April 17th, 2014

Playstation 3, Xbox 360
    • Digital Upgrade Version: June 3rd for PS3, June 4th for 360 – $14.99/€14.99
    • Retail & Digital Full Version: August 5th 2014 – $39.99/€39.99
    PC
    • Digital Upgrade Version: August 2014 – $14.99/€14.99
    • Digital Full Version: August 2014 – $29.99/€29.99

Features:
  • New Characters: Five new characters: Elena, Poison, Rolento, Hugo, and Decapre join the fight, complete with their own unique play styles, bringing the current roster count to a massive 44 characters.
  • New Stages: Six new battle environments: Pitstop 109, Mad Gear Hideout, Cosmic Elevator, Blast Furnace, Half Pipe, and Jurassic Era Research Facility, have been added for even more visual variety.
  • Rebalanced Gameplay: Direct fan feedback was gathered on all of Super Street Fighter IV AE’s original 39 characters and core system mechanics in order to achieve the most balanced Street Fighter ever.
  • New Gameplay Mechanics: Red Focus, Delayed Standing, and Ultra Combo Double add new offensive and defensive options to every fight.
  • Online Training Mode - Gives players new options to train together with their friends online.
  • Edition Select – Duke it out across history, as players can select their favorite version of any character to create dream match-ups that will determine who the strongest fighter really is.
  • Complete DLC Costume Offering (retail or full download version only): Consumers who purchase the retail or full download version will also receive all previously released costume DLC for the Street Fighter IV series (a $40 value) for free, making it the most complete offering of the game ever!
  • Pre-order Ultra Street Fighter IV at select retailers to receive 5 exclusive DLC costumes for the new characters! (here's Decapre's)

Screenshots

Trailers

Here's the most up-to-date change list we have for Ultra Street Fighter 4.
Final Changelist from Arcade Release -warning, a few typos/mistranslations are obvious in here, plus Combofiend has said more changes could happen between Arcade and console release.
The actual final changelist from the console release of USF4, including all the new characters -Don't count out the possibility of a few more tweaks in a patch in a few months! Here's a direct link to Combofiend's Capcom Unity post of the changes

Notable SF4 Match Videos from the Stage of History If you wanna watch this kinda magic happen live get on over to the Let's watch Pro Fighting Games thread you jerk!

Learn To Play This Dumb Game
Miscellaneous Cool Vids
LET'S TRY AND KEEP ALL OUR STREET FIGHTER IV: ARCADE EDITION DISCUSSION ICY COOL! NO TROLLING, GUYS!

Tired of dumb-old, stupid-old, dumb-old regular Street Fighter 4? Why not try Remix!? :zoid:http://www.sf4remix.com/:zoid:

Trykt fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Come Play with Us!

There's still a fair number of us playing this game, and I'd expect an influx of new players once Ultra actually drops. Note that most of us that are still active mostly play on PC. There's a few XBL goons. A PS3 goon playing this game is basically a unicorn right now. Console activity will probably kick back up in June since the PC version doesn't hit until August. I'll likely organize some online goon tournies as soon as Ultra's available.

For now come set up games in the irc channel:

Server - irc.synirc.net
Channel - #goonsgarden

Post your Gamertags or PSN or whatever if you want!

Character Strategy Info *Coming Soon*

Trykt fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 5, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Good evening, Trykthread. I am excited for Decapre and her anime as gently caress orb ultra.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I love my daughters, they are so pretty. Even if delayed wakeup will obsolete a bunch of my old Hakan tech.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Trykt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFUQRR1BHSU - Some idiots on the internet - Never give up, never surrender

It's me, I'm the Ryu in the OP.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's me, I'm the Ryu in the OP.

man is it that easy to get 3k PP on america I should immigrate

But seriously, I wish I had the replay where I won a match doing nothing but AA cr.HP and st.HK as Rose. Much like that match, it's a testimony to anti-airing being key to winning online matches.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Dias posted:

man is it that easy to get 3k PP on america I should immigrate

I'll have you know I get like 4k PP when I give a gently caress! And also don't play Ryu cuz I'm bad with him.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Infiltration's matches from SCR are a reminder of how much I love watching really good Chun players. Forget combos (not that Chun doesn't have them). Give me normals characters any day.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 5, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I'll have you know I get like 4k PP when I give a gently caress! And also don't play Ryu cuz I'm bad with him.

The important part is that you out-okizemed a Seth as Ryu. Also. sleep deprivation made me mix up that and your Honda match in my memory for some reason. Don't stay awake for 30+ hours, kids.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no one play this game, its terrible

Zombiecop
Jul 2, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

no one play this game, its terrible

butbutbut which sf4 do I play then!?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

Markman on Facebook posted:

Mr. Yoshinori Ono just announced during the Super Street Fighter IV CR Edition stream that the arcade version of Ultra Street Fighter IV will be released in Japanese arcades on April 17th! See you in Japan?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

chumbler posted:

Infiltration's matches from SCR are a reminder of how much I love watching really good Chun players. Forget combos (not that Chun doesn't have them). Give me normals characters any day.
If you want more Chun play, look up Valmaster. Here's his match vs Ryan Hart in the grand finals of last weekend's Hypespotting tournament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CP3b-jOPZ4

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Goodpart posted:

Arcade release date

Good stuff, OP has been updated with this info and also about a million other revisions. I'll get the safejump tutorial out a bit later on today and start posting character tutorial stuff. Should probably put together some kind of "What character should I pick" type thing for new players to warn them off advanced chars and point out who's easy and fun to start with.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
No PS4 announcement. :negative:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Neo Rasa posted:

No PS4 announcement. :negative:

Yeah, I'm pretty sad about this too. :(

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I'm baffled why anyone would buy a XBone or PS4.

Heck, the only reason I bought a 360 was for AE, 3rd Strike and Guilty Gear / Blazblue (and those last two were DOA anyway).

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I'm baffled why anyone would buy a XBone or PS4.

For the definitive version of Dynasty Warriors 8 of course :smug:

I really don't wanna re-up for Gold on 360 but I guess I will have to come USF4 :(

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Dont be sad, at least you only gotta get a 3 month card. Im more mad that my personal ban on buying games on Xbox Live (thanks Xbone announcement) will have to be broken since the retail version comes out months later.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, Abel is hella fun to play. I usually stick to defensive characters like Balrog and Honda, but even though Abel is a lot more aggressive his play has a deliberate style to it that makes it a lot easier for me to control the fight.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, Abel is hella fun to play. I usually stick to defensive characters like Balrog and Honda, but even though Abel is a lot more aggressive his play has a deliberate style to it that makes it a lot easier for me to control the fight.

I agree. What makes him fun for me is that he is a vortex character who has to commit to his reads and a grappler who is pretty mobile. I might even pick him up in Ultra depending on how I like the buff to his cl.fp.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I've been bashing my head against hardest-AI Ryu as Abel all morning and I just can't make it work. Looking online, it seems like Ryu v Abel should heavily favor Abel, but I'm just getting zoned and baited nonstop. Recording myself in training throwing fireballs constantly, I can get past them, but mix in other moves and I fall apart.

Theoretically, Abel has a few moves that should be specifically suited to countering the shoto strategy. His wheel kick gives lower body invulnerability, but I find that the timing on this is very finnicky for getting over fireballs, and I'm more likely to just get myself hurt. Closer wheel kicks get shoryuken'd. Naturally, marseilles roll is the move of choice for getting through fireball spam, but the recovery on the light/medium version gets me shoryuken'd, and the long version puts me at a distance from him, which defeats the purpose. Another option is blocking and dashing to make up the space. This is pretty easy to punish. You can cancel his 6m.K, step kick, into a dash, but I seem to be getting punished for that as well.

Ryu is stunting all over my face. When he does jump-ins, there's a few things I could do- jump backwards and H kick, or try for an anti-air grab, but I'm bad at reads/reactions so I don't. No fixing that other than to just get faster and better, I guess. Change of direction seems pretty useless in this situation, as he just blocks and punishes. The most effective tactic so far has been a combination of 2h.K leg sweeps and command/normal grabs to pressure and damage, along with focus attacks or grabs on wakeups.

It seems like no matter how I try to attack, I get interrupted and punished. If I play defensive, I get fireball chipped and kicked in the face.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
EDIT: wrong thread, vvvvvv

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Anonymous Robot posted:

It seems like no matter how I try to attack, I get interrupted and punished. If I play defensive, I get fireball chipped and kicked in the face.

That's because the AI reads your inputs, the equivalent of playing Paper-Rock-Scissors against a guy who already knows what your next throw is going to be.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Broken Loose posted:

That's because the AI reads your inputs, the equivalent of playing Paper-Rock-Scissors against a guy who already knows what your next throw is going to be.

And yet can and will inexplicably walk into your next throw sometimes.

What I'm saying is random ultra works way more often than it should. I don't get how the AI works.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
You can really only beat an AI because it decides to let you win. Walking into your random ultra is the AI going "eh Ill give him this one"

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Okay so I did a really messy kind of safejump tutorial about Ryu: http://www.twitch.tv/trykt/b/517629832

Turned out to be a lot longer than I anticipated, it's almost an hour, but I really wanted to cover all the arcane stuff about safejumps so you're not trying to do one and getting frustrated when suddenly it doesn't work cause someone happens to know how to beat it. I actually forgot in my video about Ultra 1 to talk about how Gen falls out of the EX Tatsu setup pretty much completely and Sakura is really hard to combo into it as well.

As always I hope this is helpful stuff and please let me know if you have any questions about what I covered!

edit: Apparently in this vid I forgot to mention Hakan as one of the characters with an Ultra that beats safejumps, but his U2 will tag you if you're in the air for even 1 frame near him. Just sayin.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 6, 2014

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Linking my vids about using Ryu U1 from the previous thread here:

Beginner's Guide to Ryu U1
Follow-ups after U1 connects

Summary of the stuff that combos into U1:
  • No Bars
    • LP Shoryuken anti-air - U1
    • j.MP air-to-air - U1
    • focus crumple - forward or backward dash - U1

• 1 Bar
    • f.HP - close MK xx EX Hadoken - U1
    • (corner) EX Hadoken or cr.MK xx EX Hadoken - U1
    • (corner) EX Tatsu - U1

• 2 Bars
    • LP Shoryuken - FADC - U1 (combos only)
    • MP Shoryuken - FADC - U1 (reversal situations and anti-air)

• 3 Bars
    • cr.MK xx EX Hadoken - FADC - U1
    • EX Hadoken - FADC - U1
    • EX Shoryuken - FADC - U1
    • (corner) cr.MK xx Hadoken - FADC - cr.HP xx EX Tatsu - U1
    • (corner) (counter-hit) EX Hadoken - EX Hadoken - EX Hadoken - U1

• 4 Bars
    • LP Shoryuken xx Super - U1 (this of course works off anything that combos into LP Shoryuken
    • Air Tatsu - Super - U1

edit: Might as well toss my old Ryu Combos™ post (slightly updated) in here for good measure:

Some of these combos take some practice before you’ll hit them reliably in a match, so don’t feel bad just sticking to the easy combos for a while. It is always ALWAYS better to hit the combo you know you can hit than to drop a combo that would have been better. Damage values are vs. Ryu, these will vary based on character and their remaining health somewhat.

For my purposes here, commas , denote chain cancelled normals, hyphens - denote links, and xx denotes special cancels.

Punishers:
  • cr.MK xx HK Tatsu - 180 damage
    -This is your punisher for things where you can’t get anything else, like if someone whiffs an LP shoryu a few steps in front of you or something (most people tend to just sweep punish, but that's lovely compared to this). It makes up for the lack of damage by carrying the opponent pretty far towards the corner, where Ryu gets to be a huge bully.

• close HP (OR f.HP) xx HP Shoryuken - 260 damage
    -Short and simple for some decent meterless damage. Make sure you don’t accidentally start with cr.HP instead, you lose out on some damage for no real benefit.

• cr.MP - cr.HP xx HP Shoryuken - 278 damage
    -Easy link combo for some extra damage. Finish with Tatsu to sacrifice some damage for the corner carry instead if you want; HK version if you’re far away or LK version if you’re already close to the corner.

• f.HP - close MK xx HP Shoryuken - 308 damage
    -Now we’re talkin. The close MK is a plinkable, 2-frame link so it’s technically pretty easy! f.HP has an unnatural-feeling amount of delay built in before you should input the link though, so it takes a fair amount of practice before you can hit this reliably. Dropping this combo is disastrous to boot, since HP Shoryuken can’t be FADC’d into safety. Still, this combo is a reasonably big boost to your meterless punishment and very worth learning. This is also my go-to after landing a focus attack that gives a crumple. You can use cr.HP instead of close MK for a harder link but 10 extra damage.

• f.HP - close MK xx Hadoken - FADC - close HP xx HP Shoryuken - 402 damage
    -Ryu doesn’t get a lot of mileage out of dumping meter into his combos unless he’s leading into Ultra (but that’s another post) so this combo is pretty much the best you can get outside of the corner. Having said that, this combo isn’t too hard and is very worth it. A lot of the time it’s actually better to do this than to combo directly into Ultra, so that you can keep your Ultra in reserve to punish other mistakes Ryu ordinarily can’t do much about.

Hit Confirms:
  • cr.LK,cr.LP - HP Shoryuken
    -Doesn’t get any easier than this. This should be your default option off a j.MK since it works on every character whether it crosses up or not. You can even stick an extra cr.LP or two in there to give yourself more time to confirm the hit if you want. Note the HP Shoryuken after the jab is a link and not a cancel, but it is a huge, easy-rear end link that you have to mess up pretty bad to drop!

• cr.LP - cr.HP xx HP Shoryuken
    -Very beefy damage. Needs to be done after only a single jab in order for the cr.HP and HP Shoryuken to connect fully, making this somewhat difficult as a hit confirm. It's well worth the effort to learn though and is a good go-to after a jump if you're pretty sure it's going to land (like you're coming down on someone's fireball recovery or a whiffed focus attack).

• cr.LK,cr.LP - cr.HP xx Tatsu
    -This is the better combo to land from a j.MK in most instances, but it doesn’t work consistently after a cross up on some characters (Sakura, Shotos). Like I mentioned in the Punish section, the strength of the Tatsu you should use depends on your distance to the corner.

• cr.LK,cr.LP - cr.MP (OR cr.MK) xx Hadoken
    -The baby version of the above. If you are not confident at all in your ability to complete the combos into Shoryuken or Tatsu go with this instead as it’s much safer. Dropping it still might result in you eating a Super or Ultra if the opponent realizes your weakness, fair warning. Do NOT spend meter on EX Hadoken here, totes not worth it.

• cr.LP (OR st.LP) xN - cr.HK
    -Anytime you land some jabs on somebody you can link to Ryu’s sweep. It’s possible to hit confirm from a single jab but more commonly you’ll be farting out a couple crouch jabs, then maybe a standing jab, then finally do the sweep, whatever. Do whatever feels right for the spacing you’re at. It’s technically a 1 frame link but it’s plinkable and there’s just something about it that makes it feel easy as hell to most people.

• cr.MP - cr.MP - cr.HK
    -Same deal as Ryu’s jabs, his crouch MP gives the exact same frame advantage so you get a 1F link into sweep, albeit with a bit different timing. This is important to learn so you can capitalize on a random cr.MP hit during footsies (pretty easy to hit confirm) or when you’re option select throw teching with cr.MP (which I do 99% of the time). If you have no idea what that means don’t sweat it, and if you wanna know what the gently caress it means feel free to ask!

• f.HP xx Shoryuken
    -This is worth mentioning because poking with f.HP can be a good idea vs. a focus happy opponent, or against anyone that tries to react to Ryu moving towards them with a button that’s just a little too late. Since the normal is 2 hits you have plenty of time to see if it’s hitting before you commit to the Shoryuken. Use HP Shoryuken for good meterless damage or if you’ve got the meter stocked go with good ole LP Shoryuken - FADC - U1. If you're hitting this really deep you can go into one of the punish versions of f.HP combos for hecka damage.

• cr.MK xx Hadoken - FADC - cr.HK or corner combo
    -Similar to the above, this is an important (and easy) thing to learn to be able to do to make your footsies stronger. Anywhere outside of the corner you’re simply ending this sequence with sweep (cr.HK) after the FADC, which isn’t amazing damage but gives Ryu an incredibly good knockdown and hence a lot of offensive momentum. Doing this to an opponent with his back near a corner leads to potentially huge damage and stun from a single combo. Watch Daigo’s matches from this year’s Evo and you will see him use this a LOT to score big damage and then sometimes a stun after, or if nothing else he lets the now-bleeding opponent kill themselves trying to get out of the corner.

• cr.HP xx Hadoken - FADC - cr.MK xx HK Tatsu or corner combo
    -"Fat" characters only, like Chun Li or Cammy. An interesting variant of the above, this takes of advantage of cr.HP's usefulness in frame traps and the fact that it forces standing on hit, meaning HK Tatsu will combo. Great damage and corner carry from this, or if they're already in the corner you get even greater damage. Use it in a walk-up/frame-trap kind of situation assuming you can get close enough. Chinese player Dakou's Ryu is really great at making use of this if you're looking for examples in match videos.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 7, 2014

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Once this goes live on PC I think I'll pick up Hugo again so that I can give free rides on Hammer Mountain.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
Hey, so I just want to confirm: PC AE will be a ghost town in Japan, right? I'm contemplating giving the game a try again after a long time, and I would really prefer the PC version but also want to play humans in the same continent.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
So how long is the dead period between GFWL dying and Ultra being released for PC, two months?

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
I took a look at the Dhalsim changes, and rumor has it they removed the nerfs to U1 and such, but I'm not sure why a lot of characters are getting a ton of buffs and pushing them up past low-middle tier (see Juri and Chun), but Sim gets ignored? I play 2 characters I feel didn't get much love (Sim and Honda)

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Interstellar Owl posted:

I took a look at the Dhalsim changes, and rumor has it they removed the nerfs to U1 and such, but I'm not sure why a lot of characters are getting a ton of buffs and pushing them up past low-middle tier (see Juri and Chun), but Sim gets ignored? I play 2 characters I feel didn't get much love (Sim and Honda)

Sim notable buffs are:
  • Damage returned on his normals
  • s.mk now hits twice
  • Delayed wake-up and delayed wake-up is useless against his fireball traps (though it does affect his teleport setups after fwd throw and sweep)
  • W-Ultra might be good

I think that was it. Apart from the delayed wake-up it doesn't seem to help his bad matchups, but we'll have to wait and see.

tunaism
Dec 24, 2011
Trykt, your posts are boss. Never not post.

I'm looking forward to messing around with the new Bison and Gouken. The scissor kick and PC chip/block things aren't a huge deal to me and it's a fair trade for the rest of his new stuff (normal PC off of j.mp, far s.mp faster and special cancelable, SK damage improved). Something else I saw is that Dan is getting armour break on his Ultra 1. It's a good thing, but it's also a terrible and sad thing. Focusing his run at you and letting him fall on his face was just so... Dan.

tunaism fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 7, 2014

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Oh good I can be Juri now

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I haven't been following Ultra's development too carefully, but Elena actually looks really fun. Has there been any buzz about her?

I play Adon main so I guess I just have a thing for long legs?

Puzzle Thing
Dec 12, 2006
Your life is as steak!
Dude, you can be Juri now, she's super fun.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Juri buffs are just insane. If EX divekick is really safe or plus on block, that's literally all she's ever going to spend meter on. EX divekick is now a anti-air, a frame trap, a 3/4 screen fireball punish, and a way to beat out anti-airs that hit confirms into U2. You're going to end up seeing that ultra more than Rufus's.

And all I wanted for Christmas was a faster walk speed.

Oh yeah, also all around quality of life improvements. But don't worry, she ate a nerf to her lovely counter that hardly gets used anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
They took away her jump back dive. RIP juri

• Locked thread