Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Ingenium posted:

Have been messing around with SF4 for a while now and am still working on picking a primary dude (have been doing blanka/balrog mostly). I have also been trying to pick up BlazBlue and really like Hakumen's reactive play. Is there a character that is particularly reactive in SF4, so who focuses more on counters and punishes?

Gouken, but don't rely on counters too much, get used to anti-airs and fireball zoning.

His ex-tatsu is one of my favourite anti-airs in the game. There's just an instant crunch of that first hit landing.

He can do massive damage with just one bar of meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Gouken isn't a particularly reactive character despite his fast-recovery fireball and good anti-airs, but then again neither is Hakumen, so... no problem? Both characters have counters that deter offense if you guess right and hit like a truck. Match made in heaven. If you really wanted to play a "reactive" space-controlling character who forces the other character to do things that can be punished some of the classic answers are Dhalsim, Guile, Ryu and Sagat.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
I only started Fighters recently and I've been practising my Ryu combos on trials, but 11 is giving me trouble.

Jump -> H-Punch
Stand -> H-Kick
Shinku Hadouken

Every time I try, Ryu finishes his heavy kick, goes into Shinku Hadouken and I don't get the combo. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, but I think I heard something about you can input half-way through the H-kick? I tried that too but no luck. I am using a TE stick.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Justice Sloth posted:

I only started Fighters recently and I've been practising my Ryu combos on trials, but 11 is giving me trouble.

Jump -> H-Punch
Stand -> H-Kick
Shinku Hadouken

Every time I try, Ryu finishes his heavy kick, goes into Shinku Hadouken and I don't get the combo. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, but I think I heard something about you can input half-way through the H-kick? I tried that too but no luck. I am using a TE stick.

It's close HK.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Justice Sloth posted:

Jump -> H-Punch
Stand -> H-Kick
Shinku Hadouken

Okay yeah, that trial is janky because they're trying to teach you a very specific thing about close HK which also happens to be useless, so you'd never see it in a match. Close HK is a 2 hit move, and only the first hit is super cancellable. You need to input the super asap, not wait for both hits of the move or try to link it after.

If you wanna see all the trials done by human hands this is a cool vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7JPfQaLOwA

Here's the trial you're talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBjt7WBbog8

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

It's close HK.

I have no idea what that is.

Trykt posted:

If you wanna see all the trials done by human hands this is a cool vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7JPfQaLOwA

Here's the trial you're talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBjt7WBbog8

Oh man but this looks really helpful, thanks a bunch.

I'm not very knowledgeable, but I'm picking up a lot, beat arcade on Very Hard and won a couple same-skills, but I'm not quite up to combo level yet.

Justice Sloth fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 18, 2014

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Justice Sloth posted:

I have no idea what that is.
Some normals are different depending on how close you are to the opponent. Different animations, frame data, etc.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In Street Fighter your character does different moves when you're really close, he meant that you have to do the heavy kick that comes out when you're close up specifically.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
Oh ok, that makes sense, I was coming at Dan from pretty far away so I could land the H punch squarely, so that was probably it, with these floor integers it oughta be pretty simple to find the sweetspot, thanks for the heads up. :v:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Trykt posted:

Okay yeah, that trial is janky because they're trying to teach you a very specific thing about close HK which also happens to be useless, so you'd never see it in a match.

It being super cancelable is actually really useful because being super cancelable is synonymous with being focus cancelable, allowing you to do sweet stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBNN7zPs5ow&t=110s

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Count me as another guy looking to play SF4 for the first time now that Ultra's on the horizon, and trying to decide on a character. Hopefully you guys can help? :shobon:

I come from an ArcSys background, and my favorite character is probably Blazblue's Litchi. I don't really know why, but the best I can figure out is:

1) Staff placement/launch provides an extremely flexible projectile that controls both horizontal and vertical space, and moves independent of Litchi so it gets you in for basically free.
2) Extremely strong high/low mixup; she has access to a high and low (usually multiple of each) at literally any point in a pressure string. By extension, good oki.
3) The staff as an independent unit from Litchi means there's a lot of room for creative conversions off of random hits depending on where you, the opponent, and the staff are.

I understand that things like this are basically impossible to have in SF4, but maybe someone can help me figure out something analogous? :v:

I've tried getting into the game before by doing the whole "play Ryu/Balrog and grind out your fundamentals" thing but I really wasn't having any fun with them--they were far too standard, nothing stood out as unique.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, I wish Abel's anti-air grab was better. Command grabs rule.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Relambrien posted:

maybe someone can help me figure out something analogous? :v:

I don't see you finding anything similar to Litchi... SF4 is a much more straightforward game without a lot of the odd/unique mechanics of BlazBlue.

The only really unique thing that comes to mind is Juri with low/high/anti-air fireballs that you can hold in reserve for use later.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Relambrien posted:

I understand that things like this are basically impossible to have in SF4, but maybe someone can help me figure out something analogous? :v:

Relambrien, you're right in that you're not gonna find anything really all that close to Litchi's particular set of skills in this game. The closest thing I can really think of at the moment is maybe Sakura. Sakura has solid pressure tools for both starting and continuing pressure, such as blockstring into LK Tatsu (0 on block, +4 on hit for more links), EX Tatsu (gonna be reduced from +4 to +2 in USF4 but still good) and pokes into EX DP FADC. Her EX DP is kinda close to Litchi's in that has invincibility on frames 1-13 of startup, so it can get you out of some tough situations while also leading into pressure or damage if you FADC, but just don't whiff it.

As for oki, Sakura can end many of her combos in EX Tatsu into her DP+K move into the first two P followups but a late, whiffed third P followup, and then time a charged fireball to hit meaty. The opponent pretty much has to block the meaty projectile, letting Sakura go for some sort of ambiguous crossup mixup or even an empty jump into low or something. If they try to blow through the meaty fireball with a reversal, Sakura can generally avoid it with the jump-in and punish in some way.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 18, 2014

Zingih
Jan 2, 2013
Hakan has strong mixups and unique mechanics in oil and dash cancels. :v:

(No don't use Hakan there's pretty much zero good info on him on the internet and his bread and butter combo has three unplinkable 2 frame links)

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Relambrien posted:

1) Staff placement/launch provides an extremely flexible projectile that controls both horizontal and vertical space, and moves independent of Litchi so it gets you in for basically free.
2) Extremely strong high/low mixup; she has access to a high and low (usually multiple of each) at literally any point in a pressure string. By extension, good oki.
3) The staff as an independent unit from Litchi means there's a lot of room for creative conversions off of random hits depending on where you, the opponent, and the staff are.

You should give Akuma a try. Air fireballs are more flexible than most (all?) projectiles and if the opponent blocks them, which they often must, you can get in. You can also confirm into beefy combos if the fireballs do hit and do things like meaty crossover fireballs. Lastly, Akuma has really good oki.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Zingih posted:

(No don't use Hakan there's pretty much zero good info on him on the internet and his bread and butter combo has three unplinkable 2 frame links)

All you gotta do is frankenstein your pad or stick to have Select in a usable location and you can plink them! Yay!

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I re-downloaded AE to brush up before Ultra and...all my game info is gone. I must've deleted it when purging old gamesaves and data from my PS3 months ago. :cry: I was, like, 5 characters away from getting that stupid "get everyone to level C" trophy, too. Sure I boosted 15 of them, but the other ones I put the time into, dammit.

I guess having to do all the trials again will help me get up to speed a little quicker...but really, this sucks. I'll be sitting at 75% complete for another couple years I guess.

Yay Ultra :sigh:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I hope they update the trials for Ultra. They're all from Super, and IIRC some of them don't work in AE.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Zingih posted:

If they're 2 frame links then isn't double tapping superior anyway? I remember reading something to that effect.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Static Rook posted:

I was, like, 5 characters away from getting that stupid "get everyone to level C" trophy, too. Sure I boosted 15 of them, but the other ones I put the time into, dammit.

Aren't online character rankings stored server-side and not locally? So that should be easily and automatically recovered. You're SOL on the trials though.

Zingih
Jan 2, 2013

dangerdoom volvo posted:

If they're 2 frame links then isn't double tapping superior anyway? I remember reading something to that effect.
In general probably yeah but in Hakan's case standing lp -> standing lp is a 1 framer on block so plinking would help with that. Also at least for me doubletapping lk lp lp f. lk seems harder than just doing the links normally but maybe that's just my slow rear end fingers.

Speaking of Hakan, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzerDMqJKT0 this official video (in Japanese) is pretty sad. There's all the talk about increased cross-up potential on j. mk and it doesn't actually cross up once in the demonstration, also there's the lies about 360 being 2 frames when it's actually 3. I guess no one cares about the red oil wrestler. :(

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis

Gammatron 64 posted:

I hope they update the trials for Ultra. They're all from Super, and IIRC some of them don't work in AE.
I hope so, too, not that they're practical or anything but I want some new finger puzzles to solve damnit :shrek:

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Combofiend confirmed that Ultra would have new challenges a few months back. Haven't heard anything about it since but presumably they're in.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, I wish Abel's anti-air grab was better. Command grabs rule.

EX is invulnerable through the first active frame in Ultra so it's a valid anti-air. Abel's still gonna be janky as hell though, sorry. It blows my mind that a grappler hovering around bottom 10 who relies on left/rights after hard KDs got quality of life buffs in Ultra and Makoto got her new EX Fukiage.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Mio Bison posted:

EX is invulnerable through the first active frame in Ultra so it's a valid anti-air. Abel's still gonna be janky as hell though, sorry. It blows my mind that a grappler hovering around bottom 10 who relies on left/rights after hard KDs got quality of life buffs in Ultra and Makoto got her new EX Fukiage.

Yeah I'm probably dropping Abel in favor of Makoto/Poison/Hugo come Ultra, I'm not really sure what Capcom wants out of Abel anymore. EX anti-air is nice I guess but since his BnB ultra combo requires FADC I can't see myself using it that much?

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
But now Abel can launcher->ultra 1 in the corner without having to use silly focus cancel set ups. Moving on up, baby! :negative: With all the other buffs being handed out, it might finally be time to make the full time switch to Vega like I slowly have been.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

2MB posted:

But now Abel can launcher->ultra 1 in the corner without having to use silly focus cancel set ups. Moving on up, baby! :negative: With all the other buffs being handed out, it might finally be time to make the full time switch to Vega like I slowly have been.

The best buffs capcom mentioned (2 frame links, invulnerable scarlet terror) weren't in the latest change log. In fact most of the changes were highly situational FADC modifications. Vega is still not going to have even an emergency option to get away from pressure and his ultras will still be laughably bad/worst in the game. On the othe hand, the game engine changes will be fairly kind to him.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

A.o.D. posted:

The best buffs capcom mentioned (2 frame links, invulnerable scarlet terror) weren't in the latest change log. In fact most of the changes were highly situational FADC modifications. Vega is still not going to have even an emergency option to get away from pressure and his ultras will still be laughably bad/worst in the game. On the othe hand, the game engine changes will be fairly kind to him.

Honestly, the delayed wakeup is enough for me (guess that applies to Abel as well). I just see Vega as a more consistent option to Abel, though the nerf to DP FADC is gonna help out Abel quite a bit in his shoto matchups so time will tell...

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Been playing a lot of Adon, because no matter what the game is I have trouble with DPs and 180s so it seemed like a good idea to just focus on a character who is almost exclusively both. He's a lot of fun, but I still can't for the life of me figure out links in this game. I keep accidentally cancelling Jaguar Tooth into supers, but it's never intentional. :negative:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Daigo apparently had a 286 win streak with Hugo and they're calling him Umehugo now, haha: https://twitter.com/Fenrir2ch/status/456628826169036800

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Daigo apparently had a 286 win streak with Hugo and they're calling him Umehugo now, haha: https://twitter.com/Fenrir2ch/status/456628826169036800

I hope he doesn't get nerfed before PC release. Can't wait to start pancacking some fools.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any reason why Hugo has the shakes, or is it just a weird quirk of his? And since he's got to be the biggest character in the roster, who's the smallest? Anyone gonna look tinier next to him than Cammy?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

ChibiSoma posted:

Is there any reason why Hugo has the shakes, or is it just a weird quirk of his? And since he's got to be the biggest character in the roster, who's the smallest? Anyone gonna look tinier next to him than Cammy?

Hugo's always had the shakes ever since the Mad Gear gang cut off his supply of horse steroids.

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013
Is there any specifics why Hugo might be good? Or is it just a combo of giant reach on his normals + big boy damage?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

sponszi posted:

Is there any specifics why Hugo might be good? Or is it just a combo of giant reach on his normals + big boy damage?

Considering everyone has been saying he's awful until that Daigo winstreak I'd take any opinions with a grain of salt.

All I know is I can't wait for 360 release.

I kinda hope that edition select option can be used in at least one online mode. I doubt it would cause any noticeable split in players.

Zingih
Jan 2, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Yeaaaaah name + character name is a really common way in Japanese to refer to a character played by a certain player, there's also Bon-chan Sagat and Kazunoko Yun and a zillion others. It's not really a nickname or anything.

Also Umehara had his 286 win streak in Darkstalker's Revenge when he was 14, that's a pretty known story. I guess that dude on Twitter is insinuating he's working on another one of the kind this time with Hugo, not that he's already won 286...

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Zingih posted:

Also Umehara had his 286 win streak in Darkstalker's Revenge when he was 14, that's a pretty known story. I guess that dude on Twitter is insinuating he's working on another one of the kind this time with Hugo, not that he's already won 286...

Zingih got it. The linked Tweet says something along the lines of "UmeHugo might be in the middle of a 286 win streak, you can really feel the enthusiasm!"

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Zingih posted:

Yeaaaaah name + character name is a really common way in Japanese to refer to a character played by a certain player, there's also Bon-chan Sagat and Kazunoko Yun and a zillion others. It's not really a nickname or anything.
Even though it's obviously still early, the fact that Daigo is apparently using Hugo enough in arcades for folks to be talking about it is reason to be excited for me. He's a big name dude and an excellent player that hasn't traditionally been into the grappler archetype suddenly spending a lot of time with a grappler, after all.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Considering everyone has been saying he's awful until that Daigo winstreak I'd take any opinions with a grain of salt.
I've seen other people like KSK say they couldn't win with Hugo at all, but Daigo seems to be doing fine mostly with his (admittedly extraordinary) fundamentals. It wouldn't be the first time a character has been lambasted at release only to turn out to be secretly pretty good (of course, that works the other way around, too).

Zingih posted:

This is embarrassing. I hadn't heard that story before, so when I started seeing reports of Daigo having a win streak in the 200s, I just picked that tweet because it had the biggest number. Shame on me. I hope the other reports are accurate, at least. If it all turns out to have been sensationalized exaggeration, I'll be pretty sad.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 19, 2014

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
http://youtu.be/8hwQoiHvFFY

Not sure if this was posted before but Hugo looks really free to Dhalsim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

All I know is I can't wait for 360 release.

I kinda hope that edition select option can be used in at least one online mode. I doubt it would cause any noticeable split in players.

Combofiend confirmed edition select is offline only for now. Their reasoning being that they want the focus to be on the Ultra changes, but the requests haven't gone unnoticed.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...s-heard-though/

• Locked thread