Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Based on a book, and real events, about a spy ring formed in Long Island to aid George Washington against the British, Turn is AMC's next high-concept show to probably get cancelled after six episodes. Did I say six? I mean five. Only five episodes have been ordered. So, if it's good, please watch it. It might be kind of like Rubicon. You liked Rubicon, didn't you? :(

Jamie Bell is the center of the show, playing real life guy Abraham Woodhull:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Woodhull

The pilot is directed by Rupert Wyatt, who directed the surprisingly-not-terrible Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

There's not a lot else out there about the show. Early reviews are lukewarm, but early reviews of Copper were lukewarm too and that show became pretty drat awesome. If nothing else, it's a period drama for those weird few of us that can't loving get enough of costumes and accents. :swoon:

Premieres April 6 on AMC at 9 PM, replacing the most watched show in television history. No pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I'm in!

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Ah, I'm a massive sucker for period dramas. Are they going to try and be fairly historically accurate, or is it more "there was a spy ring, so this is stuff that could have theoretically happened in a spy ring!"

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
So this is Rubicon meets Sleepy Hollow ? Sounds good !

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sucrose posted:

Ah, I'm a massive sucker for period dramas. Are they going to try and be fairly historically accurate, or is it more "there was a spy ring, so this is stuff that could have theoretically happened in a spy ring!"

The book that it's based on is allegedly very historically accurate, though it also looks like the series has things like ~relationship drama~ that is most likely conjecture. But I expect the simulated historical events and tactics will be close as possible to the actual history.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Yeah... I haven't heard about this show, and it does sound pretty cool. But I am so upset because I thought this was some Sleepy Hollow news.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

precision posted:

The book that it's based on is allegedly very historically accurate, though it also looks like the series has things like ~relationship drama~ that is most likely conjecture. But I expect the simulated historical events and tactics will be close as possible to the actual history.

Excellent. I just hope real-life stuff doesn't turn out to be too dull/complicated, like it sometimes does.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sucrose posted:

Excellent. I just hope real-life stuff doesn't turn out to be too dull/complicated, like it sometimes does.

On the other hand, if it's got real life drama like Deadwood or Boardwalk Empire and they go for accuracy it can be great. I've had my eye on this series and will definitely watch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Shamelessly bumping this (where's my stickie :( ) because tomorrow's my birthday and tonight into tomorrow morning will likely be a chemically induced blur.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
You already shamelessly got me to read this thread by stealing a Sleepy Hollow quote. WTF?!

Happy birthday; don't OD.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
From LA Times review:

quote:

Oh, and forget your PBS/BBC America-fed fondness for the Brits. With the possible exception of the essentially decent though wearily supercilious Hewlett, every redcoat/Loyalist in sight is some sort of arrogant sadist or other.

YES. Brits = best villains ever.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Rubicon rocked so I hope this has legs

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Seems alright so far, though suffering from Random Accent Syndrome.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
That intro looks terrible, dang.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i was also tricked by sleepy hollow but ill give this a whirl

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
my partner in life and sex says she went to HS with the female lead of this show

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Thought the rear end in a top hat captain was going to last a lot longer.

Not perfect, but pretty solid so far.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Shitenshi posted:

Thought the rear end in a top hat captain was going to last a lot longer.

Not perfect, but pretty solid so far.

He's still alive.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^Aye, he is. I imagine the reason they had him in the foreground when mentioning "Woody" was to have him get a hint to the spy. I almost want to pin the death of that court martialed captain on Semicoe too, seems a bit speedy to buy his rank.

I enjoyed it. Nothing much jumps out at me about it, but it was enjoyable

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 7, 2014

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Iowa Snow King posted:

He's still alive.
So he is. Goes to show how much you can miss in the four seconds you yell at your little brother.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
As a show that's replacing Breaking Bad, not a good choice. It's a decent show, but there was nothing especially notable about the pilot to distinguish it as award-bait. The actors are mostly mid-level with nothing impressive on display and the material offers promise but nothing groundbreaking or shattering.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

pentyne posted:

As a show that's replacing Breaking Bad, not a good choice. It's a decent show, but there was nothing especially notable about the pilot to distinguish it as award-bait. The actors are mostly mid-level with nothing impressive on display and the material offers promise but nothing groundbreaking or shattering.

Funny. That's how I felt about the Breaking Bad pilot.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Obviously you can't have another show go on TV in a given time slot if it doesn't meet the same popularity as another show that was ended.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

JohnSherman posted:

A guy does something he shouldn't, despite being related to those who could turn him in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JohnSherman posted:

Yeah the pilot of Breaking Bad was "good" but didn't really give any indication whatsoever of how good the show would end up being.

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
Interesting to see a James river plantation in "New York."

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I hope it picks up in the next episode (I'd say 'episodes', but since there are only a couple to begin with...) because for a pilot it was just... alright? It wasn't bad or anything, it just felt very dry. In fact, the only thing about it that really reached out and grabbed me was that rendition of Turpin Hero they had playing when Abe was leaving to trade. I've been looking around, and found out it was by some kid named Jake Bugg, but I can't find a full copy of it anywhere :( I hope AMC releases a soundtrack at some point, or at least releases the full song(s if they continue) online.

Still be tuning in for the next episode, got my fingers crossed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Finally watched the pilot :shobon:

It was actually better than I expected! Good production values, solid acting, great pacing, likeable heroes and awesomely evil Brits, really I have no complaints.

And yeah that song was amazing, as is the song in the very well-done intro.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
This guy has the worst luck

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
Thought this was a Sleepy Hollow thread, pissed now.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
I honestly got kind of bored about 3/4th of the way through the pilot.

It just didn't get its hooks into me.

Was episode two better?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The set design in this show is a bit disappointing. They have all these nice real(?) buildings to shoot in with cool carpentry and stuff but they fill them up with crap that looks wayyyyy artificial and a lot of the time it seems like they simply didn't have enough to fill up the rooms. Looks like a cheap play. Also it's constantly overcast for some reason but all the indoor scenes have tons of sunlight to throw around.
:goonsay:

Daniel Henshall is a favorite of mine and I'm really enjoying his small parts, though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was episode 2 that unspectacular? :v

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

precision posted:

Yeah the pilot of Breaking Bad was "good" but didn't really give any indication whatsoever of how good the show would end up being.
Was it the pilot or the second episode that had that guy dissolved in acid falling through the floor?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Was it the pilot or the second episode that had that guy dissolved in acid falling through the floor?

Second episode.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DivisionPost posted:

Second episode.
Then it took only two episodes for Breaking Bad to be an amazing show.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Awww, this isn't Sleepy Hollow?

.....huh. Might try it out anyway tho. Is there a way for those of us who don't have cable to see it?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I mean I like this show and think it's an all right thing to watch on Sunday evening, but I don't think anyone alive believes this is the next breaking bad.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I certainly hope that Washington becomes a semi-regular character, and they don't use him as some sort of "once or twice a season" gig.

It's WASHINGTON'S spy ring, for chrissakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Does this show appeal at all to non-Americans/Commonwealthers who think the revolutionary war was unnecessary? I've been recording it but was out of my place for all of March so I'm super behind on TV in general.

• Locked thread