Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

anilEhilated posted:

That... kind of reinforces the question by looking so goddamn painful and will-draining. What's the loving point?

Kaizo: Games by people who hate you, for people who hate themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

anilEhilated posted:

That... kind of reinforces the question by looking so goddamn painful and will-draining. What's the loving point?

That video was recorded seven years ago. I certainly don't have the goddamn patience for it NOW, but I honestly remember there being a sort-of sense of accomplishment when you actually were able to beat the various situations the level threw you into. Save-stating doesn't even really feel like cheating in that sort of game because it's all about luck and timing.

And I'll tell you what, after playing through all of Kaizo 2 I am now super-pro at regular SMW.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

What's more 2007 than doing a VLP of an RPG? Let's play Dragon Warrior Monsters!

What is Dragon Warrior Monsters?
DWM is an old Enix title released for the Game Boy Color shortly after Pokemon Red and Blue. Since it came out shortly after the Pokemon games and the two games are somewhat similar, most people dismiss DWM as a Pokemon knock-off, but it's far better than that. There are a score of differences between the games, specifically the wonders of breeding giving DWM a much more deep monster-building ability than you ever had in the original Pokemon games.

Past that, it's a general old-school Enix title featuring all the monsters you know and love from the other Dragon Warrior games, from Slime to Dracolord.

How do you intend to make a VLP of this game?
Copious amounts of smooth jazz speed-ups and having enough entertainment in the commentary that it's fun to watch even during the more tedious parts. Obviously, none of the grinding or nonsense like that will be on screen.

What the hell are you doing with the monster names?
Back when I did a screenshot Let's Play of this game, I used to name my monsters after folks in the thread. Since this LP will feature far fewer monsters getting time in the spotlight than the SSLP (mostly because I gave a little profile to every monster we caught in SS form, and doing that in VLP form would be silly) I'll just be naming them after whatever Let's Players from SA I feel like! Watch for yourselves, as that also means *LP MATCHMAKING*.

:siren: Updates: :siren:
Update 1 - The Saga of Yarr Begins!
Update 2 - Smug Furbies
Update 3 - Bullbird = Abomination
Update 4 - Nonstop Weed Jokes
Update 5 - All Jazz Edition
Update 6 - Any Significance?
Update 7 - Drunk Breeding
Update 8 - 80's Montage!
Update 9 - Octocostal
Update 10 - It Lives!
Update 11 - Showdown!

UZworm fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 13, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
It's time to drop in on our enemy, Good LP's, and continue my train-wreck[citation needed] of an LP with:

Company of Heroes: Band of Brothers in Arms Part 2: Vierville

@1214: To anyone who was watching a few moments ago, the video didn't upload in HD and youtube was being whiny. Should be fixed now and have an actual thumbnail.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

I play games and sometimes the things I say are of a humorous variety.
Venturing out on a ledge with this game:

I wear my sunglasses at night: Let's Play Comix Zone

It's a one-off because it's hard and weird and we could only really handle about 15 minutes of it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

UZworm posted:

:siren: Let's Play Dragon Warrior Monsters! :siren:

I did a screenshot LP of this one time, but never finished it. gently caress it, what's more 2007 than a VLP of an RPG? Part 1 features KillerEmcee, JebWrench and Iron Chitlin, along with some smooth jazz and FutureFriend the Anteater. I'll probably just keep naming my monsters after Let's Players so it should be fun when we get to the breeding. (LP matchmaking service UZworm!)

Yo, so a totally pro tip:

If you deal enough damage to a monster that you bring it down to exactly 0 HP with no overkill and you do not already possess that monster, it will join you. The Anteater just punches the poo poo out of the bats too hard to make them join you.

This was my main strategy for getting dudes to join me when I was young since gently caress buying meat. Unsurprisingly, my pool of dudes was rather small as a result.

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It's time to drop in on our enemy, Good LP's, and continue my train-wreck[citation needed] of an LP with:

Company of Heroes: Band of Brothers in Arms Part 2: Vierville

@1214: To anyone who was watching a few moments ago, the video didn't upload in HD and youtube was being whiny. Should be fixed now and have an actual thumbnail.

Marked as private.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'd have said that the following would be the best explanation for why Kaizo is a thing that's got some merit (the video is priceless, in my eyes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6pbz3ROvQ

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cream posted:

Marked as private.

Whoops! Will fix, sorry!

E: Should be fixed

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 14, 2014

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

azren posted:

I'd have said that the following would be the best explanation for why Kaizo is a thing that's got some merit (the video is priceless, in my eyes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6pbz3ROvQ

Ah yes the moment that inspired countless bad romhacks, although to me that is probably the 2nd easiest of Kaizo Mario 1's stages. Still a great video though.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

gameplusmeagan posted:

It's a one-off because it's hard and weird and we could only really handle about 15 minutes of it.

Bugs the piss out of me how obstacles that you need to destroy to get by damage you when you punch them. Like yeah okay it's realistic but gameplay-wise it's just kind of like "screw you for wanting to play this game we went to all the trouble of making".

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Dr. Buttass posted:

Bugs the piss out of me how obstacles that you need to destroy to get by damage you when you punch them. Like yeah okay it's realistic but gameplay-wise it's just kind of like "screw you for wanting to play this game we went to all the trouble of making".

Nothing about this game makes sense. I STILL don't know what the rat is supposed to do, he just runs around like an idiot. I enjoyed the style, though, and the way you swing from panel to panel is pretty cool.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I think he's a puzzle solving thing. On that second page there he goes behind the fan to turn it off so you can punch it down; in your video he was offscreen when it happened. I don't know if he can do anything else, though, because I never made it any farther than you did.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

I think he's a puzzle solving thing. On that second page there he goes behind the fan to turn it off so you can punch it down; in your video he was offscreen when it happened. I don't know if he can do anything else, though, because I never made it any farther than you did.

He can also find hidden items, including panel transitions. He's also useful for a specific enemy.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Dr. Buttass posted:

azren posted:

He can also find hidden items, including panel transitions. He's also useful for a specific enemy.

Well now I feel bad. Sorry, Garbage the Rat. We hardly knew ye.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Ramos posted:

Yo, so a totally pro tip:

If you deal enough damage to a monster that you bring it down to exactly 0 HP with no overkill and you do not already possess that monster, it will join you. The Anteater just punches the poo poo out of the bats too hard to make them join you.

This was my main strategy for getting dudes to join me when I was young since gently caress buying meat. Unsurprisingly, my pool of dudes was rather small as a result.

I almost never had that happen outside the Gate of Beginning! That's the price I pay for always overpowering my team. And overleveling through grinding gives me a mix of more meat without needing to buy it and plenty more chances to grab monsters. Destruction over finesse!

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

gameplusmeagan posted:

I still don't think I've beaten the second stage of this game. It's pretty hard, or I'm just really bad at it.

Probably both. Also, no one jumps in front of a tank, dude. There's a reason for this.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I've been trying to find out what that first song is, but googling parts of the lyrics aren't netting me anything. Any help? It's really drat good.

On the topic of kaizo, outside of the forced time limits like the p switches I like the difficulty. It's like a kind of a reflex/puzzle thing. If the levels were a little more segmented with moments of calm where you could think you're next move out it would be more fun. But then it wouldn't be KAIZOOOO AAAAAAAH SO HARD.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

The original Kaizo was pretty novel and fairly creative. It just happened to spawn a legion of bad copies and sequels that were garbage. There are some inspired by it that are at least decent; the Vip series comes to mind, though they're considerably less bullshit usually.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 15, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Garrand posted:

I've been trying to find out what that first song is, but googling parts of the lyrics aren't netting me anything. Any help? It's really drat good.

Fine Crowd - What D'ya Think of me Now

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

gameplusmeagan posted:

This game is god drat impossible but it's fun for the 15 minutes it's possible to play without dying.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

RSCNyx posted:

I still don't think I've beaten the second stage of this game. It's pretty hard, or I'm just really bad at it.

Probably both. Also, no one jumps in front of a tank, dude. There's a reason for this.

It's really not that hard of a game. Once you realize how useful the rat is and bombs are it is a breeze.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Genocyber posted:

The original Kaizo was pretty novel and fairly creative. It just happened to spawn a legion of bad copies and sequels that were garbage. There are some inspired by it that are at least decent; the Vip series comes to mind, though they're considerably less bullshit usually.

Yeah, there are good and bad moments in the Kaizo hacks and in individual levels themselves. Hard things are super fun. Bullshit things are not. That's why Super Meat Boy is great but the World 4 boss is probably the worst thing in the game.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Civil Service

Killer Emcee
May 19, 2010

"Looks like your angel has misplaced her halo."
I got your 2007 right here, FutureFriend. An obscure title called Kaizo 3 (Stage 2).

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Wow Loon, you didn't have to get your microphone from 2007 just for the thread. That's some impressive dedication.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
In true 07' style, let's lose some footage because of super-poo poo audio quality.

Let's Play Brainlord - 04

things you missed:

-falling in pits
-killing a big roach
-getting hosed over by my friends who stole almost all of the poo poo while i was fighting the roach and they somehow still think that we're friends
--i'm still mad about this seven years later

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
What would a Kaizo LP be without some poor schlub submitting their own attempts at the levels.

Level 1 - Off to a Great Start
Level 2 - Post Cave Commentary with Strategy
Level 3 - The almost return of post commentary
Level 4 - It's a g-g-g-ghost! Shhhhh!!

And then I took over the LP
Level 5 - Now it's of-fish-ial
Level 6 Part 1 - The Start of Something Bad
Level 6 Part 2 - The End of Something Bad
Level 7 - Bowser is Easy
Level 8 (Normal Exit) - Dumb Maze
Level 9 - Yo-yo Yoshi
Level 8 (Secret Exit) - Dumb Maze Revised
Yellow Switch Palace - It's a Challenge
Level 10 - Critical Kaizo
Final Level - Please Reconnect Controller

As a side note, I'm glad I'm not the only one who took almost a half hour on the second level.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 20, 2015

Killer Emcee
May 19, 2010

"Looks like your angel has misplaced her halo."

chocolatekake posted:

What would a Kaizo LP be without some poor schlub submitting their own attempts at the levels.

Level 1 - Off to a Great Start
Level 2 - Post Cave Commentary with Strategy

As a side note, I'm glad I'm not the only one who took almost a half hour on the second level.

That's some good 2007ing you did there. :golfclap:

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

I too applaud your efforts. It is very 2007.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

More Lolo!

Part 2: Harder puzzles, easier puzzles, and better video quality!

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Oh my gosh, I just noticed the sound effect when you get a power up from the flashing hearts! Oh HAL :allears:
I still need to get this game, but I'm enjoying this LP in the meantime.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

UZworm posted:

:siren: Let's Play Dragon Warrior Monsters! :siren:

I did a screenshot LP of this one time, but never finished it. gently caress it, what's more 2007 than a VLP of an RPG? Part 1 features KillerEmcee, JebWrench and Iron Chitlin, along with some smooth jazz and FutureFriend the Anteater. I'll probably just keep naming my monsters after Let's Players so it should be fun when we get to the breeding. (LP matchmaking service UZworm!)

MY NIGGA

azren
Feb 14, 2011

chocolatekake posted:

Oh my gosh, I just noticed the sound effect when you get a power up from the flashing hearts! Oh HAL :allears:
I still need to get this game, but I'm enjoying this LP in the meantime.

Glad to hear it! Don't know when I expect the next one, but probably not too far from now.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

This really brings me back. My grandma had Lolo 1 and 3. I wonder why this series hasn't been resurrected. It would make a really cool pick up and play handheld game.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
...Your grandma?

I remember as a kid seeing Nintendo Power's guides to the Lolo games, and always being intrigued but at the same time having no idea how the games actually worked, as they really explained them poorly. I was always curious but never got around to trying them. It's neat to finally see them in action!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

zfleeman posted:

This really brings me back. My grandma had Lolo 1 and 3. I wonder why this series hasn't been resurrected. It would make a really cool pick up and play handheld game.

Your grandma sounds legit.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Yeah, she bought a lot of NES games after they were a bit cheaper once the SNES was released, I think. Regardless, she really knew how to spoil her grandchildren by enabling a video game habit.

Still kicks my rear end at Dr. Mario, no joke.

TurboC
Sep 6, 2009

Man what is this 2007 stuff? No audio balancing I think

Kaizo Mario World, Level 3: Kaizo Radio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friend Skull
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

TurboC posted:

Man what is this 2007 stuff? No audio balancing I think

Kaizo Mario World, Level 3: Kaizo Radio

Fuckin' really? I caught that. Fuckin' really? What the gently caress. Fuckin' really?

EDIT: Wait did you just use a fuckload of meme songs from 2007 or something?

Best Friend Skull fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 17, 2014

• Locked thread