Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

blk posted:

I like to get about 10,000 miles out of my cars per $1,000 of depreciation - for some reason that's the golden ratio for me. I was spoiled by buying my last car at 60% of book. Since this is a frivolous, unnecessary second car, I'd like to keep costs as low as possible - I have a hard time spending money on myself.

I'm going to try and outbid on the GPW to 19k, if that doesn't work I'll probably buy the LBP.

Question for the S2k experts: I noticed that the "all red" interior on the Chicane Silver AP2s just is red seats and carpets - was the red dash an AP1 only thing?

For a sports car they're pretty cheap to run. S2000 specific parts are expensive (shocks/axles/diff/etc) but people mod their cars or write them off enough that you can find low mileage used parts pretty cheap. 4 new shocks is like $800 from a dealer, I got 4 shock/springs from a written off car with 11kmi on it for $50. They also tend to hold value pretty well due to the amount of writeoffs, I bought mine for 10k at 99kmi and kbb says it's worth about 10k at 133kmi 3 years later, although I doubt I could get much more than 8 or 8.5.

gently caress that timing chain tensioner though, I'm on my 3rd in 3 years :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Yeah, I'm not too worried about cost of maintenance, just depreciation with mileage.

The GPW guy is sticking to his original buyer (can't blame him) and the LBP guy isn't answering his e-mail.

What do you guys think of a rougher condition, higher mileage and cheaper (13k OBO) one like this? http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4433910981.html

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Muffinpox posted:

For a sports car they're pretty cheap to run. S2000 specific parts are expensive (shocks/axles/diff/etc) but people mod their cars or write them off enough that you can find low mileage used parts pretty cheap. 4 new shocks is like $800 from a dealer, I got 4 shock/springs from a written off car with 11kmi on it for $50. They also tend to hold value pretty well due to the amount of writeoffs, I bought mine for 10k at 99kmi and kbb says it's worth about 10k at 133kmi 3 years later, although I doubt I could get much more than 8 or 8.5.

gently caress that timing chain tensioner though, I'm on my 3rd in 3 years :mad:

I need to replace mine at some point, I'm just going to spring for the beefed up ones with a lifetime warranty when I replace it

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blk posted:

LBP guy isn't answering his e-mail.

Argh, he just let me know that he sold it but would've sold it to me for 18 because I work for a nonprofit.

For some reason two weeks of failed S2k searching is a lot more frustrating than 6 months of Miata looking. I'm guessing it's too late for this year.

Maybe it's a sign that I need to address my other priorities first (get out of my poo poo hole city, complete the career move I'm trying to accomplish).

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

blk posted:

Argh, he just let me know that he sold it but would've sold it to me for 18 because I work for a nonprofit.

For some reason two weeks of failed S2k searching is a lot more frustrating than 6 months of Miata looking. I'm guessing it's too late for this year.

Maybe it's a sign that I need to address my other priorities first (get out of my poo poo hole city, complete the career move I'm trying to accomplish).

Start looking on S2KI instead of dealing with CL people?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

blk posted:

Nah man, keep in it. Everything will work itself out.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Start looking on S2KI instead of dealing with CL people?

Already doing that; have a WTB up too (not that anyone ever reads them)

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I spent 3 months hunting for my S2K and the only compromise I ended up making was on the color (Silverstone Metallic, I AM A BORING TOOL), but I got it for a price I wanted and with fewer than 30k miles on it.

Unless you have money coming out your ears I'd be prepared to spend your time hunting in order to save money and end up with what you want.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
All this talk of how they keep value is pretty heartening. Got my 06 about 5 years ago for 19k even with 25k miles on it. Sounds like I could almost get my money back right now with 57k on it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

blk posted:

Already doing that; have a WTB up too (not that anyone ever reads them)

Do you want the printout of the local one [that was] here? I haven't thrown out the trash, yet. :v:

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

blk posted:

Any sort of rare car (and a S2000 is rare compared to your typical car) is going to take a while to find the right one. If you aren't in need of a DD, I'd suggest intentionally taking it slow, as your bound to run into a good deal eventually.

And I doubt seasonal prices fluctuate enough that you should stop looking just because it's summer.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Thanks jerks, I just bought an S2000. Now I've got the AI disease. Where do I pick up my $600 dollar exhaust?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
One of us, one of us

Get a 600$ Berk exhaust* and you can go deaf over the course of a 10 minute drive.

*Do not get a Berk exhaust, I had to cut all the hangers off because it didn't fit and replace the muffler because its heavy and I think it makes the car louder?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

plester1 posted:

Thanks jerks, I just bought an S2000. Now I've got the AI disease. Where do I pick up my $600 dollar exhaust?

Yay, welcome to the club :hfive: Now post pictures!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

plester1 posted:

Google goggle one of us!

Seconding the request for pics

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I'm crazy busy tonight but I'll try to snap some lovely cellphone pics. Here's a few teasers:

edit: oh god phone post, use timg tags next time

plester1 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 6, 2014

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

Congratulations fellow goon!!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

hey thanks everybody for talking me into it, this owns

plester1 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 6, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

plester1 posted:

hey thanks everybody for talking me into it, this owns

Can I ask year/miles/how much you paid?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

It's an AP1 with an AP2 front end, unless someone played a cruel joke on him and it's actually an AP2 with AP1 wheels

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Nodoze posted:

It's an AP1 with an AP2 front end, unless someone played a cruel joke on him and it's actually an AP2 with AP1 wheels

I'm sure they mostly straightened the frame after the accident. Probably cheaper to salvage an AP2 front.

Seriously though this makes my heart ache terribly for my Y2K S2K number 354. Should never have sold that car.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

blk posted:

Can I ask year/miles/how much you paid?

2001/96k/$12k

A previous owner did the front end swap, as well as coilovers and that crazy intake.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

I'm sure they mostly straightened the frame after the accident. Probably cheaper to salvage an AP2 front.

No accident, its not uncommon for folks to swap to the AP2 front end because it looks better.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/275318-diy-04-front-endconversion/page__hl__ap2+front+end+conversion

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

plester1 posted:

swap to the AP2 front end because it looks better.

You shut your whore mouth! :colbert:

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ssjonizuka posted:

You shut your whore mouth! :colbert:

Correction: because some people can't stop loving with their cars.

I must admit, now I'm paranoid that there's something wrong with it, even though my mechanic put it up on the lift during the prepurchase inspection and gave it a clean bill of health. The previous owner gave me all the stock parts, so I don't think there's anything to fear.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

plester1 posted:

The previous owner gave me all the stock parts, so I don't think there's anything to fear.

Yeah, if you've got all of the stock parts, there's not much to worry about with regards to it being updated due to damage.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Not to mention half of the S2000 ownership experience is aftermarket parts, like that bwwwaaaAAAAAPPPpp noise from the intake.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

plester1 posted:

Not to mention half of the S2000 ownership experience is aftermarket parts, like that bwwwaaaAAAAAPPPpp noise from the intake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaglvHWqBnI

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I so want one of these as a weekend car, and a throwback to my MX-5 days. Just not a sensible investment at this point for me, given we already have two (quick, albeit practical) cars and have just had a second kid.

I want a convertible again though, dammnit! :devil:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I so want one of these as a weekend car, and a throwback to my MX-5 days. Just not a sensible investment at this point for me, given we already have two (quick, albeit practical) cars and have just had a second kid.

I want a convertible again though, dammnit! :devil:

You could get another MX5 if you just want a cheap convertible

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

blk posted:

You could get another MX5 if you just want a cheap convertible

I've thought about it, and I did love my old one, but despite the lovely handling it's probably a bit too slow for me now. Hell, the S2000 is significantly slower in a straight line than my daily driver, but as an agile, RWD convertible it would still provide some thrills with the extra boost (and revvy engine) over the Mazda.

edit: Ahhh, maybe I should still consider the MX-5 and then replacing it in a couple of years. Certainly better than nothing if getting a decent condition S2000 isn't on the cards. I might just aim for getting an S2000 next year, if I can.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 8, 2014

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kids are significantly less fun than an S2000, just saying

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Reminder for AP1 folks, check your oil every two fill ups. Looks like my F20 is done, heard a faint knocking midway through a high g sustained right hander off ramp and babied it the mile home. Checked the oil level and it was below L, it's been eating oil way faster than it was previously.

On a side note, anyone want a project S2000 in MA :( It has 135k so I'm just probably going to retire it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Sounds like a good excuse to stuff a LSx in there.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
You could always rebuild the engine. Someone made a project thread that you could use for reference.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

You could always rebuild the engine. Someone made a project thread that you could use for reference.

Oy, that thread.

What kind of buyout would you look for, Mr. Pox?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Galler posted:

Sounds like a good excuse to stuff a LSx in there.

I don't have anywhere to do a swap :(

meatpimp posted:

Oy, that thread.

What kind of buyout would you look for, Mr. Pox?

~6k? I have no clue how much these are worth with a broken engine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

This is among the best posts I've read in AI.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Sometimes you can have both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Me and my wife can't have kids, so we have to console ourselves with spending all our money on cars and bikes.

It's a good kind of hurt.

• Locked thread