Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
Posting from my dingy cubicle wooo

I dunno know about the startup scene, but there are definitely not enough Indian and Asian dudes in the show. Also, I hope they do some segments about what it's like in Silicon Valley Corporate, because it's soul-crushingly boring here. Also, everyone is fat and old and lovely. :manning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm just surprised Slate dude thought SA was relevant enough to warrant a mention

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
The part I was confused about was companies/investors giving big money for 'algorithms' or 'software stacks'. They just throw money at user-base numbers, even if the 'software' is all just borrowed shareware.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PowerBuilder3 posted:

The part I was confused about was companies/investors giving big money for 'algorithms' or 'software stacks'. They just throw money at user-base numbers, even if the 'software' is all just borrowed shareware.

Companies pay big money for just software all of the time (e.g., Apple with Lala).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure the "we have 1 million users but no clue how to extract money from them" story will show up by the end of S1.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah apple likes to buy popular services that they can kill and massage into their own first party solutions.

poo poo didn't they even hire the jailbreak dev for his notification banners?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm still weirded out by the heckler scene at the Ted talk, it comes across like a "creationism vs professor" moment, made weirder because they both act like strawmen for...what exactly?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Craig might not bring the numbers, but he's got a passionate following. If he's gone, I'm sure he'll land on his feet somewhere.

If nothing else, I'd love to see him write another book. I was pretty big on Between the Bridge and the River.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm still weirded out by the heckler scene at the Ted talk, it comes across like a "creationism vs professor" moment, made weirder because they both act like strawmen for...what exactly?

Just poking fun at eccentric computer science academic types.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

This was not as funny as I hoped it would be, but it strikes too close to home to let me look away. I've had the "we are making the world a better place" talk for an SDK, and Erlich talking about his previous work reminds me so much of a certain individual that made me feel weird watching those scenes :psyduck:

The only thing that made me roll my eyes was the "brogrammer" bit. It was just scraping the bottom of the barrel that TBBT left behind, which is weird because the rest of the show was so much better. It felt as if it was there just because it's a thing techies say, and they had to make it literal because who knows why.

e: So glad Elun Musk doesn't post here.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 11, 2014

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Did people complain a lot about Mike Judge scraping the bottom of the barrel/going for the easy joke in regards to king of the hill texan/middle america jokes, or are people just more sensitive when it comes to this show? I honestly can't tell.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Veskit posted:

Did people complain a lot about Mike Judge scraping the bottom of the barrel/going for the easy joke in regards to king of the hill texan/middle america jokes, or are people just more sensitive when it comes to this show? I honestly can't tell.

Nerds become sensitive when it's them being mocked.
See:Gamers talk about how inclusive they are until someone says games are x-ist

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I haven't watched King of the Hill, but come on, that "brogrammer" gag was terrible :colbert:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Rexides posted:

I haven't watched King of the Hill, but come on, that "brogrammer" gag was terrible :colbert:

I didn't mind it at all. I also don't program or work in the tech industry so this is a bit further away from me than others in this thread.

His speech at the end was hilarious. It did a great job showing how these companies get so cultish about themselves and saving the world when even the newbies attempting to break away fall into the same mental trap of "We're going to be different"

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Rexides posted:

I haven't watched King of the Hill

You should get on that because King of the Hill was utterly fantastic. Seriously, just a great loving show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I didn't mind it at all. I also don't program or work in the tech industry so this is a bit further away from me than others in this thread.

His speech at the end was hilarious. It did a great job showing how these companies get so cultish about themselves and saving the world when even the newbies attempting to break away fall into the same mental trap of "We're going to be different"

I loved all the background props and creepy cult posters for the Holli set.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If this ends up being King Of The Hill for nerds, I'll be pretty satisfied.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

Nerds become sensitive when it's them being mocked.
See:Gamers talk about how inclusive they are until someone says games are x-ist

I really doubt we make it to the end of the season without at least one unironic "nerd blackface :qq:" post.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Bobfromsales posted:

I really doubt we make it to the end of the season without at least one unironic "nerd blackface :qq:" post.

I just assumed this already happened.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lugaloco posted:

You should get on that because King of the Hill was utterly fantastic. Seriously, just a great loving show.

Several years after cancellation, the TVIV thread is going strong. That says something.

No high-fives!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What's the name of the song in the background

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

KyloWinter posted:

What's the name of the song in the background

Small Stakes by Spoon

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Poor Bighead.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

scary ghost dog posted:

Small Stakes by Spoon

No I mean the one playing before the stripper walked in. It was maybe some like weird stuff from 2010 or 2011. It was weird electronic type stuff you'd hear on Gorilla v Bear. I know that's the worst description ever

e: It's Purity Ring

barkbell fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 14, 2014

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

This loving scene, I'm dying over here.

Edit: comparing him to Mass Effect 3? Harsh.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Harsh.

The whiteboards at the end looked pretty good.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Okay, loving Ratatat cover of Biggie Smalls over the credits cemented my love for this show.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Veskit posted:

It's weird with tech people complaining the show isn't really super accurate, as if you need a perfect documentarian's lense to satirize something. "I mean, sure we're absurd and navel gazing and disconnected from reality, but in a totally different way! Like, there are way more Asians, and I personally have never participated in a bike meeting."

Did these guys think Idiocracy was more realistic and grounded?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Periodiko posted:

It's weird with tech people complaining the show isn't really super accurate, as if you need a perfect documentarian's lense to satirize something. "I mean, sure we're absurd and navel gazing and disconnected from reality, but in a totally different way! Like, there are way more Asians, and I personally have never participated in a bike meeting."

Did these guys think Idiocracy was more realistic and grounded?

Not to mention how real life is dorkier than anything on the show, such as how data mining startup Palantir uses Lord of the Rings themes for everything and even refers to their corporate HQ as the Shire.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I just watched the pilot and it caused me physical pain for 30 minutes.

I love this show.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I episode reminded me of a bizzaro episode of Entourage where nobody gets laid, and there are a shitload of problems. Problems out the rear end to really develop the seasons plotline.

I love it :allears:

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
That ME3 joke was pretty bad. There was some forced namedropping of tech terms in this episode, but the show is still great, all in all.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Darth Windu posted:

Okay, loving Ratatat cover of Biggie Smalls over the credits cemented my love for this show.

Just watched and was super surprised by this.

Also, you know, great show or whatever.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Doobs is pretty cool, I am glad he is on the show!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Every single scene with TJ Miller in it is fantastic, holy crap. I'm glad I gave this show a shot, it hooked me really fast.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LittleFuryThings posted:

That ME3 joke was pretty bad. There was some forced namedropping of tech terms in this episode, but the show is still great, all in all.

At least most of them are used properly.

I'm just starting a "career" in the world of computer science and/or systems engineering (gotta love a sudden and abrupt career change at 30!) but most of what I heard seemed accurate.

There were a few things I felt weren't right. When Dinesh said that he was the only one of them that knows how to program in Java, I thought that was odd. Out of four programmers and one systems engineer/programmer, he's the ONLY one that knows Java? Really?

And then at the end when Big Head said the Brogrammers had "de-compiled" his code from the proprietary media player Pied Piper used, that didn't seem right. I'm under the impression that, in general, you can't just take, say, the .exe file for the media player (which is likely all it is,) and "decompile" it into any worthwhile piece of code.

But, like I said, I'm just a "beginner" in the tech world, so maybe I'm wrong!

Also, TJ Miller's character is the one who ordered the stripper/prostitute, he CLEARLY should have paid. :colbert:

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
This episode was much better than the pilot.

poirot818
Jun 1, 2011
Now I realize I've seen him in a lot of movies but never knew his name.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/appreciation-silicon-valley-christopher-evan-welch.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw54-yDc6Jg

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Are there actually dudes alive that are this awkward around strippers? Cringe worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
No, that episode went backwards and was dumb. They apparently blew through all the local eccentricities and annoyances jokes in the pilot.

• Locked thread