Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
That was alright, even without any experience of that world.

Reminded me of a less openly vitriolic Nathan Barley, only the Tech world rather than Hoxton Media Cunts. Not sure whether the main guy being basically likeable but ineffectual rather than a self loathing shambles will work in it's favour or not, though UK stuff does tend to be a bit more mean spirited overall, and Barley was the logical end point of that kind of comedy, so I imagine it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Yeah. Just like it's a tired joke to make fun of reddit for being full of child molesters or w/e even if it's literally happening right now. People in tech have been making fun of these same things for the last 5 years, at least. Hey look, that doctor tried to sell HIM a prototype, see it's funny because everyone is a part of a lovely startup in SV. :regd08:

So it's old and unfunny for the 0.1% of the population who lives in Silicon valley. For the actual audience, which is regular non-tech people and tech people who know about silicon valley but don't actually work there, it's fresh and funny.

If you make a comedy about an incredibly specific group of people, yeah, some of that ingroup are going to find the jokes tired because they've been in that group and making those jokes for years. That's pretty much unavoidable.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Vincent posted:

Great show, but I'm tired of the "main character is a weakling nervous wreck " archetype. Yet, I don't think a strong willed nerd would be as funny. Maybe the way the actor portrayed the dude just didn't click with me.

the other option is "misanthropic arsehole who hates those around him but finds himself strangely drawn to them and their hateful antics and secretly suspects he might actually be one of them", but that requires a show where literally everyone is genuinely unlikeable, and that's hard to pull off even for a 6 episode limited series, let alone a full American season or half season.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Harminoff posted:

I like this show buy why would something like that be worth anything considering the speed of the internet today and the price of hard drive space.

If you're a business providing downloads or streaming video, your main non-wage overheads are going to be storage, servers and bandwidth. Literally halving those costs with massively improved compression is a huge loving deal.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Turmoil posted:

The premise doesn't seem like something that can sustain itself for a long period.

Guy has great idea. Guy goes up against a giant corporation to do his own thing and meets stumbling blocks along the way, but is helped by his friends and investor to succeed. Plus he'll probably inadvertently win the heart of the girl along the way.

are we watching the same show?

I'm not convinced the "good guys" are going to win out, hell, I'm not sure we're meant to be on ANYONE'S side, pretty much everyone is a bit of a twat in one way or another. Look at how the main dude dealt with the irrigation guy. While nowhere near as vitriolic so far, this thing is closer to Nathan Barley than Big Bang Theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
so was the 3d video booth tube thing based on something that really exists in some form, or was it straight up pure fantasy?

• Locked thread