Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

leica posted:

I dunno, paint condition doesn't matter much as long as the truck is in good running order and isn't rusted to poo poo, with all that work done along with receipts it's a drat good work truck. Around here a truck like that would go for 3k all day long.
Hell, good paint on a work truck almost feels like a downside because then I feel like I need to worry about scratching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
What's it cost to rattlecan a truck anyway? A few hundred bucks?

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
gently caress that poo poo man, if you're gonna paint just clear coat it to preserve the patina!

:allears:

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Thats a nice truck, I'll give you $601 dollars for it. PROFIT

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Blaise posted:

What's it cost to rattlecan a truck anyway? A few hundred bucks?

If you don't care about looks and just want something low maintenance, you could spray the whole truck John Deere blitz black for like $150 or so. And have an almost scratch proof paint job.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Looks great to me! Be warned though, I have a $500 truck, an $800 truck, and a $350 truck that I just got... I have a truck problem. But usually a truck solution, as well.

All of them have, or will cost me around 3-4k by the time I'm done with them. But I'm stupid.

Also, I did shocks on my $800 truck in ten minutes each with no PB blaster, no torch, just a 3/8 ratchet, and I live in the drat rust belt :colbert: so that's what I think of THAT.

e: vv no angle grinders either! No power tools of any kind, in fact. vv

kastein fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 7, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I notice you did not exclude angle grinders. :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Holy poo poo. You stole that thing from him, seriously. That interior is drat near mint, which is shocking for something of that age (especially a work vehicle).

Just a heads up though, the oil pressure gauge likely only has 2 positions instead of being a real pressure gauge. You'll probably notice it swings to the middle immediately after startup and never moves at all. It'll stay in that spot as long as it has any oil pressure whatsoever.

So how loud is the power steering? :v:

(you might want to crop out the previous owner's name on that receipt)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's why anyone who's even remotely interested in cars and wrenching needs to GTFO the east/midwest ASAP and get to the west coast. I cringe every time I see someone describe some cancer ridden 10 year old shitheap as 'not too badly rusted'. There should be a law passed mandating every reasonably interesting fun car has to be sent out west before it turns into a pile of flakes.

SERIOUSLY

I moved to the bay area and bought an 04 RAV4 with 143k on it. Not a speck of rust, and every time I pull a bolt for something it looks factory fresh, no corrosion or anything. Coming from Wisconsin it is mind blowing.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Holy poo poo. You stole that thing from him, seriously. That interior is drat near mint, which is shocking for something of that age (especially a work vehicle).

Just a heads up though, the oil pressure gauge likely only has 2 positions instead of being a real pressure gauge. You'll probably notice it swings to the middle immediately after startup and never moves at all. It'll stay in that spot as long as it has any oil pressure whatsoever.

So how loud is the power steering? :v:

(you might want to crop out the previous owner's name on that receipt)

Yeah, he said it probably has 216k miles. Unlikely, judging by the seat.

You're right, the oil pressure gauge doesn't move much. Heh.

The power steering is actually dead silent. I did have a noisy serpentine belt, which I replaced but haven't quite fixed. For some reason on the crank pulley the belt likes to run slightly off the tracks (too far forward). Not sure what to think of that yet.

Why would I crop the guys name? I personally never understood why people even crop their plate numbers. It's not any different than if you saw it on the street, and after all, this is just a $600 truck :lol:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well it kind of has his phone # and address, and we do have Bucephalus here.. :allears:

I've seen plenty of 200k+ cars that looked brand new inside and out. So it's entirely possible that it actually has 200k+. But with the overall condition I'd guess it may be a 1 instead of a 2 for the first digit; a CarFax, if it's been registered in an area that has regular inspections most of its life, may turn up a hint of its actual mileage.

The quiet PS pump makes me think the pump may have been replaced - Ford PS pumps (especially prior to ~2000 or so) are pretty notorious for sounding like a giraffe being raped by an elephant right off the showroom floor. :haw:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 7, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That was seriously a steal. I drive around a '95 Sonoma with 250k on the dial, and it's kind of freeing to rock a $500 truck. Someone door dings it, or you need to haul a bunch of rock for something, and you really don't have to give a poo poo. Of course it absolutely eats time to keep up. I need to drop the fuel tank here soon to locate a slow leak that appears to be in the fuel return line, and I'm not looking forward to that at -all-. I live in the land of Salt and Regrets, so those bolts are going to be a stone bitch.

An inline-4 hitched to a 5-speed stick is a ton of fun, though.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I seriously love those old bricks. My second vehicle was an 88 F350 quad cab long wheelbase with the 351 and a 5 speed. I sold it 10 years ago with 240k on it and I still see it around town. It's been beat up pretty bad since I got rid of it though. I still miss it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I paid a little more than 600 for my truck, but here it is!

I actually like the 92-97 models personally. The F350 4x4s were the best looking, plus they can stand a gently caress load of abuse. Seriously, even the automatics in these were bullet proof. Not saying that they make them any worse, but I see more of these trucks still working as intended, pushing snow, towing bobcats and and working on farms.

I miss my old F350 as well.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

some texas redneck posted:

Well it kind of has his phone # and address, and we do have Bucephalus here.. :allears:

Don't care.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I actually like the 92-97 models personally. The F350 4x4s were the best looking, plus they can stand a gently caress load of abuse. Seriously, even the automatics in these were bullet proof. Not saying that they make them any worse, but I see more of these trucks still working as intended, pushing snow, towing bobcats and and working on farms.

I miss my old F350 as well.

I totally agree. I actually was looking at a '94-97 powerstroke 5spd as an alternative to the toyota, but I really didn't like the one I drove. It was just one size too big, despite the awesome powertrain.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Liquid Communism posted:

Of course it absolutely eats time to keep up.

Ugh. My Blazer was bought as a cheap beater to use while I fixed the Protege (so I wouldn't have to pay labor costs, you know?) Between the truck's purchase price, rebuilding the whole front suspension + cooling system (aside from the radiator), and all the time I spent fixing broken stuff and PO fuckups, I would have come out ahead paying dealer rates to put a new engine in.

Not to mention the mighty 4.3L TBI V6. The power of a 4-cylinder, with the fuel economy of a V8! Gobs of torque, though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I agree, the 4.3 was a horrible engine.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

The only part of a normal 4.3 those used was the block.

So what you're saying is the 4.3 can be good if you pretty much replace most of it with something else and add a turbo. I'll agree with that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

By this logic your Altima was a good sports car because it came with the same motor as a 240SX. ;)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It had absolutely no problem whatsoever making the 120 MPH speedo go way, way, way past 120; that certainly makes it more of a "sports car" than a lot of cars on the road today. :haw:

It was absolutely terrifying above 85, but it was impressive, for a sedan, with the 00-01 5 speed.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 8, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fucknag posted:

By this logic your Altima was a good sports car because it came with the same motor as a 240SX. ;)

Hey, no one bad mouths the Altima on my watch. ALTIMA SOLIDARITY.

Oh and yeah, beater trucks (and cars) are the most liberating and fun vehicles to own. Nice ride OP, quite the steal.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
:science:

The current generation of 4.3 is thumping out 285 horsepower and is based of the current generation of LSx motors. Its roughly matching what the old 4.8 was doing for output.

GM can definitely get motors right once and a while. Still no match for a beater with a heater though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BrokenKnucklez posted:

:science:

The current generation of 4.3 is thumping out 285 horsepower and is based of the current generation of LSx motors. Its roughly matching what the old 4.8 was doing for output.

GM can definitely get motors right once and a while. Still no match for a beater with a heater though.

It's also a bit less than Ford's 3.7 with 305 HP. :xd:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Anyway, back to trucks.

Bought a $30 pair of speakers and a $34 headunit. I regret that already.

I didn't expect much from a $34 JVC headunit. But this is ridiculous: It doesn't support USB devices that aren't FAT32 and 8gb or less. So much for the ad saying 'USB port, compatible with iPod/iPhone!'

:mad: Guess it's being returned. :mad: Ordered a $80 kenwood instead.

...but I still have that v8 to listen to. So that's nice.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Sorry but you're doing it wrong if you put a head unit in a beater truck. I got a $8 cassette deck adapter for my ipod, and asked for cassettes at secret santa time.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

DrPain posted:

Sorry but you're doing it wrong if you put a head unit in a beater truck. I got a $8 cassette deck adapter for my ipod, and asked for cassettes at secret santa time.

I wouldn't have except the stock head unit doesn't work on the left side. I bought speakers, nope, turns out, bad headunit.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Blaise posted:

I wouldn't have except the stock head unit doesn't work on the left side. I bought speakers, nope, turns out, bad headunit.

In such a case, I take it all back. Go hog wild. Replacing broken things with ridiculous aftermarket solutions is the essence of beater truck ownership.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

DrPain posted:

In such a case, I take it all back. Go hog wild. Replacing broken things with ridiculous aftermarket solutions is the essence of beater truck ownership.

I was about to say, my beater didn't even have a cassette deck that worked. $100 on a stolen Craigslist deck with bluetooth and some cheap speakers was the best $100 I spent on my beater piece of poo poo Mazda Ranger.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I drove a $700 beater S10 for years and I have to say it was a blast. It was RWD, Automatic and had the woefull 4.3 but I thrashed that thing like you wouldn't believe. Who ever said you need 4WD, ground clearance or decent tires to off road?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
I love my mid-90s F350. If it were 4WD it would be the perfect truck.

My wife wants me to sell it, because she wants a Tribeca. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Someone actually wants a Tribeca? I bet if she shows up at the Subaru dealership and asks nicely for one they'll just hand it over.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
That's an awesome truck, you got a steal.
I love that we get threads like these every couple of months.
Couple good sites for info:
http://www.f150online.com/forums/ Good forums for looking up problems, lots of old school mechanics (and a few bros)

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php Pretty good for weird info, at least in the classic trucks area.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Best 90s vinyl I've seen yet. Wow.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

saint gerald posted:

My wife wants me to sell it, because she wants a Tribeca. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Yeah I wouldn't mind having a K instead of a C myself, but beggers can't be choosers.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

saint gerald posted:

I love the cowboy Cadillac.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blaise posted:

I didn't expect much from a $34 JVC headunit

That's sure a funny looking JVC logo.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I understand you OP. Last good beater I had was an '85 F150 with the 4.0 I6 and a rattly 4-speed manual. It was a tremendous piece of poo poo, full of rust, but drat if that engine wasn't bullet proof. I loved that truck for all the problems it gave me. It ended up eating the clutch on 75 southbound at about 80 miles an hour. I pulled off a handy exit, coasted on to a side street, made sure it wasn't on fire, pulled my plate off, and called a buddy for a ride. I left it there for a couple of days, then had Purple Heart pick it up as a donation. I want another one, but I have no where to put it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

2wd? Light loading and towing?

Slam that bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thats a Pipkin thing. He has that wonderful late 60s Chevy that hes always tooling around in.

I know IOC isnt an advocator of mega-threads, but god drat there is lots of truck love in this thread.

• Locked thread