Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
I've loved trucks my whole life. My first vehicle at 16 years old was an '89 Dakota 4x4 with the 3.9 V6 and an automatic. That thing was slow as poo poo but I made some good memories in that thing.

Seeing these bricknose Fords reminds me of the one my grandpa had. It was an F-250 standard cab 4x4 with the 460 big block and a stick shift. I wish I could have scooped it up before he got rid of it. He said the odometer rolled over about three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Kick myself for not buying a similar Ford F150, abet with the awesome 300ci I6 (and 5 speed manual).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Blaise posted:

Also, accidental upgrade. Bumped the plastic piece off of my dome light. Turns out it had turned opaque over 25 years. Tried putting it back on to compare... basically didn't have a dome light before. Now it's PERFECT.

At one point, long long ago, the Help! section of most parts stores would usually have a brand new lens sitting on the shelf for Fords. And Chevys.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Wow, you have an optional cassette deck!

Anyway, how much wood would a wood truck truck if a wood truck could truck wood?

In retrospect this was a poor shot. Can't tell how low it's sitting. It's definitely right at the load limit (or maybe above). 1/2 cord of wood, half green half seasoned. Still drove just fine!

Also found a coolant leak today. Not sure where it is exactly just that it's near the front of the motor and I was 1/2 gallon low. Crap.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 12, 2014

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Slightly better shot. Who needs an f250? :D

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
To hell with the F250, your truck is charming and adorable. And functional.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Blaise posted:

Wow, you have an optional cassette deck!

Sounds really good too, makes a drat fine phone/mp3 player adapter input device!

Have you replaced the stock lugnuts with solid metal ones yet? The factory ones are sheet tin covered open nuts, the tin likes to break off when people take impact wrenches to them, solids are a million times better and not stupidly expensive.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I think I may be in business. Got a line on a 6.2L diesel 1985 Chevy for a price. Ex-army truck, still painted flat green with the brush guard on. :hellyeah:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

I think I may be in business. Got a line on a 6.2L diesel 1985 Chevy for a price. Ex-army truck, still painted flat green with the brush guard on. :hellyeah:

You'll want to follow the Alabama Army Truck buildup.

Here's the most relevant segment though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYh4OAnCW2E

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Here's the most relevant segment though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYh4OAnCW2E

Pull a diesel to replace with gas engine?

Sir, that is a SIN of SINS.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

Unfortunately you cannot get a supercharged Corvette motor that burns diesel. :(

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Tempting if the diesel ever blows out, but I actually -want- a diesel-powered 1-ton 4x4 for winter here. City doesn't want to plow, gently caress that, I've got to work.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

you replaced the stock lugnuts with solid metal ones yet? The factory ones are sheet tin covered open nuts, the tin likes to break off when people take impact wrenches to them, solids are a million times better and not stupidly expensive.

The receipts for $thousands$ shown on page one actually included new lug nuts!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Except that in California you don't need to smog a "diesel-powered" vehicle 1997 or older, instead of the 1975 cutoff for gas. So you take a diesel-powered vehicle, put an actual good motor in it, and go racin'. :q:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

Except that in California you don't need to smog a "diesel-powered" vehicle 1997 or older, instead of the 1975 cutoff for gas. So you take a diesel-powered vehicle, put an actual good motor in it, and go racin'. :q:

You would think this would make the diesel GM cars worth thousands.

Here's my $600 truck. 1999 7.3 powerstroke with 190k kms.

I'm on the fence about what to do with it. It's too solid and rust free to be a drive train donor, but on the other hand it's a 15 year old 2wd truck in alberta.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's already halfway to being a killdozer, finish armor plating that thing and convert it to 4x4. Then put tank tracks, runflats, or solid rubber tires on it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Blaise posted:

Slightly better shot. Who needs an f250? :D

I keep meaning to take a pic of my Ranger loaded with all of the dirt-loaded gravel I'm ripping out... some back of the napkin math claims I'm probably getting somewhere around 1T in there with six mostly full wheelbarrow loads out of a six cubic foot wheelbarrow. I'd have actual scale numbers but I found someone to take it for free instead of paying $20+ per load at the dump.

It still has some suspension travel!

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

$1100 party wagon. Best deal ever if you ask me, only about twice that in maintenance, like a popped freeze plug. Leaks coolant and oil, some kind of bogging/stalling problem, sucks down gas like nobody's business but at least it's not the 454, and it's got a giant gas tank so that doesn't matter. The radio head unit died and the speakers are shot to hell, that'll be fixed, and the paint is toast. Eventually I'll get a new exhaust on it, a conservative set of wheels, probably steelies with dog-dish caps with normal-size tires. I'll need a locking differential... and it's slow, probably gonna chip it, might need a blower. Hell, I might even throw a diesel in it. Ideally, to finish it off I'll have adjustable suspension so I can drop it a few inches on the highway and raise it some for, uh, utility purposes.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Liquid Communism posted:

Tempting if the diesel ever blows out, but I actually -want- a diesel-powered 1-ton 4x4 for winter here. City doesn't want to plow, gently caress that, I've got to work.

Keep those batteries topped off and your engine plugged in. Also make sure you get good diesel in the winter.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Looks like I may top the $1000 threshold here shortly. My coolant leak is coming from the weep hole on the water pump.

Guess I'll be doing that tomorrow.

By the way, any advantage to removing the emissions components? I don't have to pass smog, so removing the air pump or EGR would be no problem.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

InterceptorV8 posted:

Keep those batteries topped off and your engine plugged in. Also make sure you get good diesel in the winter.

Yup. Batteries in it are brand new, and I've already got a properly weatherized plug on the outside of the garage for just this. Got some more pics from the seller today, and I'm stoked, it looks pretty drat good for a 25+ year old truck.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 13, 2014

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
$1.1k beater 2x4 with a 4 banger. It's all I need to get poo poo from point A to point B and I loves it so. Currently being slowly repainted with cheap/lovely paint.

angelofdeath0430
Sep 21, 2008

This is my 89 5.0 Bronco. I got her for the low low price of trade; I had a Fox body that was getting to be too much project for me and I traded for this straight across. She's laid up at the moment with a bad fuel pump but it's the best vehicle I have owned. I can't wait to get a soft top to put on in the summer. It's the perfect road trip vehicle, fuel economy be damned.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I love that Bronco and the Mazda. This is a great truck thread.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Today I repainted painted the hood with some low gloss black Valspar Tractor & Implement paint. I brain farted and forgot to thin it a little before spraying and the result is a kind of orange-peel texture. Which I actually find kind of neat so I'll probably just keep running it unthinned for shits and giggles.

If I can find a similar low gloss mid to dark charcoal gray I think I'll use that for the bumpers and trim.

Unlike the truck in the OP mine has a horrid interior which required a good bit of cleaner and scrubbing to get the layer of god knows what off the console and steering wheel. I haven't even touched the carpets and the seat has had a cover loosely thrown on it so I don't have to sit on the previous owner's peeling duct tape patches. :xd:

Fart Pipe posted:

I love that Bronco and the Mazda. This is a great truck thread.
It is fun as poo poo to just poke around in. :buddy:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Doing truck things with trucks. Looked at a replacement mirror but had to pass as it was too fancy for the truck, even though the price was right. I made a list of the things I want to do and what I think it will cost, and haven't done hardly anything since.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Stanced, brah!

Somewhere around a ton of gravel and dirt. Definitely a bit floaty on the front end since that's at least 800lb overweight.

I did six loads like that.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I am jealous of you guys with stake pockets, though I suppose since my b2000 is the definition of a bitch project truck there's nothing stopping me from just drilling holes wherever I want to add tie downs. :hellyeah:

ed: does anyone else get the temptation from time to time to put a tarp down in the bed, fill it with water, get a six pack, and have a one man redneck pool party?

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 14, 2014

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Oh god.

So I replaced the axle oil, trans oil, thermostat and water pump today.

As I'm cleaning up in the garage, I find a gasket in the water pump box.

gently caress

That stupid ford water pump gasket had me double and triple checking google images to make sure I put it together correctly. But somehow I missed the second gasket in the box.

Who the hell designed this? Every other water pump I've ever seen had a metal mating surface with a gasket. Period. None of this second middle plate BS.

Ugh. Guess now I can redo it.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Parts Kit posted:

ed: does anyone else get the temptation from time to time to put a tarp down in the bed, fill it with water, get a six pack, and have a one man redneck pool party?

My bandmates and I used to do that every summer. Back up a bandmate's '92 F150, tarp, water, cooler full of beer. It was awesome.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Photo from yesterday.

That red bucket is the biggest POS ever. I spent all day using a ShamWOW™ to clean up coolant that was flowing down the garage. All day, I was annoyed with the amount of water going everywhere. At the end of the day, I decided to consolidate the buckets and poured the pot into the red bucket. Only to realize it has a crack. It never held water :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Parts Kit posted:

Is it bad that this is one of the primary reasons I want to have a truck?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Parts Kit posted:

I am jealous of you guys with stake pockets, though I suppose since my b2000 is the definition of a bitch project truck there's nothing stopping me from just drilling holes wherever I want to add tie downs. :hellyeah:

You mean like this?

(make sure your bumpstops aren't missing/broken off/worn out before doing this, or you might make your leaf springs sag.)

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Could you just put jacks down under the frame before filling it up? :lol:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

kastein posted:

You mean like this?

(make sure your bumpstops aren't missing/broken off/worn out before doing this, or you might make your leaf springs sag.)
YES.
This is my dream.

And it's also nice that I can sit on the tailgate and enjoy the nice cool twilight after dealing with a lovely customer today.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Man, without airbags, this was super easy. Horn works again. Still haven't figured out why the cruise isn't working or the tilt column that likes to move positions if you just apply some force to the wheel.

:love: Simplicity :love:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Check all the relays and fuses is the first step, if all that checks out, double check all the vacuum lines, and the "bladder" that connects to the throttle. Squeeze the bladder all the way down and put your thumb over the vacuum inlet, if it pops out, then your bladder is shot.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Should I be able to get a CRUISE light on the dash just by pushing the ON button when the truck is idling?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Blaise posted:

Should I be able to get a CRUISE light on the dash just by pushing the ON button when the truck is idling?

Your truck in particular doesn't have a cruise light on the dash. Just check engine, 4x4, and a few other misc idiot lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Pretty sure mine ('88) had a cruise light. If it did it was the sort where it only lit when it was engaged (ie, already holding a speed)
Also StormDrain your IHC is awesome.

• Locked thread