Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm actually torn right now. My Sonoma's going to the scrapyard soon, I turned a deer into an ex-deer with it on the way home from work yesterday. Bastard bounded out head-first into my driver's side quarter. It isn't worth fixing all the damage on top of the fuel issues and clutch that need looking into.

So I'm not sure if it's time for a new beater truck, or if I want to splurge a little and get a beater Cherokee instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

That's sure a funny looking JVC logo.

Heh. Whoops. Jensen. They're both crap though right? :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Liquid Communism posted:

So I'm not sure if it's time for a new beater truck, or if I want to splurge a little and get a beater Cherokee instead.
Sounds like you need a Commanche.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

saint gerald posted:

I love my mid-90s F350. If it were 4WD it would be the perfect truck.

My wife wants me to sell it, because she wants a Tribeca. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

You know, I'm not crazy about trucks, I don't need one, I've got a Jeep than can do almost as much as one, but goddam if I don't want a big brickfaced 90's F-350 dually. I don't know what it about those specifically, but man I really want one. They just look like proper trucks to me I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Sounds like you need a Commanche.

The best of both worlds. Business in the front, party in the back.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Only one M, dammit! (I agree though. I own three of them as of 9 days ago. All started life as 6cyl/RWD auto with the lovely rear axle, and all are already or will eventually be 5-speed 4x4 manual transmission vehicles with a variety of engines.)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You know I just helped my pops score a $600 1996 S-10. Of course the transmission was gone, but after swapping it with one from a junkyard the truck is running good.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Thats a Pipkin thing. He has that wonderful late 60s Chevy that hes always tooling around in.

I know IOC isnt an advocator of mega-threads, but god drat there is lots of truck love in this thread.

Its my daily driver in the summer, gently caress the Subaru. Not a care in the world when Im driving old Bernice

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Blaise posted:

Heh. Whoops. Jensen. They're both crap though right? :v:

JVC's not half bad at all. I've had a few of their head units, and still have a ~20 year old JVC home theater receiver that's used on a daily basis (surround crapped out years ago, but it's just used for music + TV audio in the living room these days).

They used to put out some fantastic TVs as well (along with Mitsubishi).

JVC also merged with Kenwood several years back, though they still operate under separate labels.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fart Pipe posted:

Its my daily driver in the summer, gently caress the Subaru. Not a care in the world when Im driving old Bernice

You have no idea how much I wish we had poo poo like that in the UK... :(

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Having driven a 60s pickup and having driven in the UK, driving one there would be pretty butt-puckering. They're not small, and lots of spaces in the UK are. :)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I care not! People would flee in fear that their nice cars would get scuffed up when up against a ratty old truck from years gone by. :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Only one M, dammit!
Whoops, yeah!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

I care not! People would flee in fear that their nice cars would get scuffed up when up against a ratty old truck from years gone by. :v:

The problem is that the poverty-spec alcohol-burning sub-liter shitboxes that Europeans drive around their gokart track streets are snap-together plastic that costs all of about $10 to fix, whereas replacing the cab corners on a 67ish C10 is a fortune. :(

Plus, people would constantly be trying to park in your bed to dodge a $1000 parking fine from a Brussels-appointed parking fascist.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 10, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
gently caress replacing cab corners. That's one job that I would gladly pay some one to do.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You know, I clicked on this thread by accident...boy am I glad I did now. I don't like trucks as a general rule, but this one is pretty awesome!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fart Pipe posted:

I get a big goddamned grin every time you post pics of that.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

MrChips posted:

You know, I clicked on this thread by accident...boy am I glad I did now. I don't like trucks as a general rule, but this one is pretty awesome!

Trucks are awesome! All of a sudden, I can do things I couldn't.

We have a fire pit at my house. Firewood is expensive at store. But if you buy a 1/2 cord (truck bed worth), it's $60. Picking it up tomorrow :D

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
$60? Try $0. Go hit up your local craigslist "zip"/free section, I'm sure someone is trying to get rid of a tree!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Fart Pipe posted:

This is a really cool truck. Do you have any plans to repaint it? It'd be awesome if you could do so in the original color and get it all pretty again.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

This is a really cool truck. Do you have any plans to repaint it? It'd be awesome if you could do so in the original color and get it all pretty again.

I think it looks perfect as is.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Blaise posted:

Trucks are awesome! All of a sudden, I can do things I couldn't.

We have a fire pit at my house. Firewood is expensive at store. But if you buy a 1/2 cord (truck bed worth), it's $60. Picking it up tomorrow :D

Just remember.

"Yes I own a truck, no I won't help you move."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

InterceptorV8 posted:

Just remember.

When my biggest, ugliest, least reliable truck was still running and driving, we used it to move a friend of mine and his girlfriend out of their apartment into their new house.

It fit all their furniture and a good number of moving boxes in one run...

(I was looking for an excuse to drive it and he paid for fuel. Win/win!)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Your 600 dollar truck is way better than my last free truck :(

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

kastein posted:

$60? Try $0. Go hit up your local craigslist "zip"/free section, I'm sure someone is trying to get rid of a tree!

You need space for it to dry though. Or enough gasoline.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Blaise posted:

You know, because they hadn't figured out how to put in cupholders yet. :q:

Also it blows my mind that this truck, manufactured in '89, has ABS standard. It may be rear only, but I still really approve.

This interior is kind of freaking me out. My family's had a lot of Fords - most relevant to this thread an '82 Bronco and a '95 F-150 (which my dad has had since new) - so this interior looks like a bizzaro-world mashup of all of them. Which makes sense, obviously.

This thread makes me miss that Bronco a lot. And it makes me want to buy my dad's F-150 from him, should he ever trade it in on a new one (he's been talking about it for half a decade, but can't seem to do it).

Enjoy that truck, man. That's a great deal.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Moey posted:

You need space for it to dry though. Or enough gasoline.

And the chainsaw, plus the time to cut/split. But then using a chainsaw is fun (and a good used Jonsered can be had for beer money) and splitting is a good workout so I guess you still win.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Beater trucks are the best things.
I've been rocking my '91 Ranger for 12 years now. Getting a decade out of a free truck you dragged out of a field is a big win IMO and even though it started out a freshman beater it's a well seasoned beater now and knows the territory well.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Fart Pipe posted:

I hate you and this thread. Of course this has to be on CL around here:

67' GMC C-10 BUILT BBC 454 - $6500

Little beat up and kinda expensive, but I like it.

*edit* OP is kinda freaking me out, username is the same as my older brothers name and you live in seattle :tinfoil:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You know you want it. Seems like the grille got swapped at some point, it should have "GMC" in the center of it ('67-only feature).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Just remember.

This is another benefit of the $600 truck.

"I'd love to help you move, but the bed's full of oil and rust, I'm sure you don't want that on your furniture...."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The problem is that the poverty-spec alcohol-burning sub-liter shitboxes that Europeans drive around their gokart track streets are snap-together plastic that costs all of about $10 to fix, whereas replacing the cab corners on a 67ish C10 is a fortune. :(

Moot point, I'll never get my hands on one without spending silly money to import one anyway. :(

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Parts Kit posted:

Im definitely going to paint it the original colors someday, or something close. I have some other projects I want to get done first and I like driving it just the way it is right now. The engine isn't stock so I like surprising people with my rusty old truck.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

InterceptorV8 posted:

Just remember.

A few people have asked.

:q: I need to move XYZ. You have a truck now right?
:v: "I don't have time. You can borrow it. Put more gas in it than when you got it from me"
:q: "ok!"
:v: "you drive stick?"
:aaa: "Nevermind."
:D

Also, accidental upgrade. Bumped the plastic piece off of my dome light. Turns out it had turned opaque over 25 years. Tried putting it back on to compare... basically didn't have a dome light before. Now it's PERFECT.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Im so jealous of your brick nose find, especially being a manual. Its sooo clean!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Blaise posted:

A few people have asked.

:q: I need to move XYZ. You have a truck now right?
:v: "I don't have time. You can borrow it. Put more gas in it than when you got it from me"
:q: "ok!"
:v: "you drive stick?"
:aaa: "Nevermind."
:D

Also, accidental upgrade. Bumped the plastic piece off of my dome light. Turns out it had turned opaque over 25 years. Tried putting it back on to compare... basically didn't have a dome light before. Now it's PERFECT.

Yeah, not going to let anyone drive my dually, I can just see them ripping my flares off.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

IOwnCalculus posted:

You know you want it. Seems like the grille got swapped at some point, it should have "GMC" in the center of it ('67-only feature).

I really do want it, but something tells me if I bring that home the idea of getting another mr2 is done. I was also pumped at first when I saw the interior shot and assumed it was a manual, but apparently just crazy looking shifter for the TH350 auto.

Maybe I should get a truck and keep/fix my alltrac......

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
poo poo yeah cheapo beater trucks! Mossy or not, be gloriously pleased that your Ford still has most of its paint.

Case to the contrary being my 700$ 1990 Dodge Ram, which was done with Chrysler's high tech self-stripping paint.

On the plus side, it may look like complete poo poo, but with the 360, the granny geared 4speed, and the towing-purposed final gears, it's a towing god-machine beyond measure. My uncle, who I bought it off of after he was done with it, hauled a Beetle filled with spare lead, two engines, three transmissions, and some assorted poo poo on a bigass diamond-plated car hauler, at seventy miles an hour, uphill. Also he had another Beetle stuffed in the bed, which I should have gotten a picture of because it was loving ridiculous.

Also the AC still works!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Has anyone replaced their factory carb with a Weber? My factory carb is giving me trouble thanks to a previous owner jury rigging it and the emissions system. There's at least 5 vacuum lines that have been pulled and had a wood screw shoved down them. :ughh:
I guess when I was replacing some of the hardened lines yesterday I hooked up too many or the wrong thing because now it has no power.

This thing seems like an attractive replacement since apparently all that stuff that is vacuum operated on the current one is now electrically controlled.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAZDA-PICKU...ts=Make%3AMazda|Year%3A1987&hash=item1e86706c1f&vxp=mtr

Fart Pipe posted:

Im definitely going to paint it the original colors someday, or something close. I have some other projects I want to get done first and I like driving it just the way it is right now. The engine isn't stock so I like surprising people with my rusty old truck.
It looks neat as is with the wear and lighter rust but I bet it'd be gorgeous with a well done job of the original color.

On the other hand I refuse to spend that kind of cash on my truck so it's just getting a cheap rear end black primer + black tractor paint coating. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I understand you Blaise. I really do. :hfive:

This is my truck. Formerly my grandpa's truck, gifted to me when they retired from camping and got a honda SUV. Just got it out of the garage the other day to get new tires for it. I found two service records in the glove box for tires, one was probably for their 5th wheel trailer, and one for the truck. One was 1999, and the other was 2003, I'm not sure which was which but holy poo poo the tires it came with were old as poo poo. I drove it to BC and back on two separate occasions last year, I'm lucky I'm not dead.

It doesn't even have 150k kilometers on it yet. I'm keeping the afghans that my grandma knitted for the bench seat covers though, they're rad.

I wish mine was a manual, that would be amazing.

• Locked thread