Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A game where you shrink Ridley to fit into the next Smash Brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

A game where you destroy groverhaus by casual means.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr Tastee posted:

A game where you destroy groverhaus by casual means.

Like sneezing?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Sneezing, leaning on it, being within 10 feet of it, just go nuts.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well!

This has certainly been an informational and inspirational LP.

See, I've been a longtime Wario Ware fan. Ever since Minigame Mania. I consider Twisted! the best in the series and one of the most genius games to ever be on a handheld system.

So of course I have WWDIY. Had it for quite some time. Played the microgames that were included. Downloaded some from the official stuff.

But I never really got into that making games thing. I made the tutorial game, but then, idk.

Until now! Seeing you making them has really made me figure out that it really isn't that hard, so I've started making games now. Made my first today. Started on a second. Both based on Kingdom of Loathing because stick figure graphics are nice and easy to work with.

I can't capture any DS footage, but I can capture from the Wii, so perhaps I'll try making some thread suggestions that Squack doesn't use and showcase them.

Perhaps.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Monkey Fracas posted:

Metal Gear Rising

Cut A Man and then grab the delicious spine before it hits the ground! Either that or anything with Armstrong doing something- throw the giant chunk of metal at the annoying pretty cyborg man!

Also, this needs a "Rules of Nature" rendition, if you're able to make it of course.
edit: specifically of the "and they run when the sun comes up, with their lives on the line" part.

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 17, 2014

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

A Dark Souls microgame where you either (a) grief someone in online mode, (b) praise the sun, or (c) dodgeroll one or more enemies. Failing causes the "YOU HAVE DIED" message to pop up.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Help lost goon escape from Harrison Ford as he chases him through dark woods. Tap goon to make him run faster. Game is won when he runs off screen, at which he runs into a photoshoot and gets his picture posted everywhere *dmca redacted*

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

KennyMan666 posted:

Until now! Seeing you making them has really made me figure out that it really isn't that hard, so I've started making games now. Made my first today. Started on a second. Both based on Kingdom of Loathing because stick figure graphics are nice and easy to work with.

I approve of your choice in starting points. Kingdom of Loathing is a pretty neat game.

Mr Tastee posted:

A Dark Souls microgame where you either (a) grief someone in online mode, (b) praise the sun, or (c) dodgeroll one or more enemies. Failing causes the "YOU HAVE DIED" message to pop up.

Bonus points if option B includes Solaire in some capacity, or option A has the Mask of the Father.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Glad to see you made my dreams into a reality Squack.

Also to keep the thread going a Metal Gear Rising game would be great.

CharlestonJew fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 18, 2014

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

CharlestonJew posted:

Also to keep the thread going a Metal Gear Rising game would be great.

4/5 goons agree.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Squack McQuack posted:

4/5 goons agree.
I'm the fifth one. That's probably why I don't get invited to any of the cool parties.

(been making more games and yeah I'm really figuring out how things work now, could even go back and streamline the execution of one I had already shipped.)

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Make a game where you have to mine Bitcoins, but if you mine them too quickly your rig catches fire and burns your house down.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Whybird posted:

Make a game where you have to mine Bitcoins, but if you mine them too quickly your rig catches fire and burns your house down.

I like this and have an idea for it. The game tells you to "MINE X BITCOINS" where X is some random number between 5 and 10. You have to click on a mining rig (maybe stationary, maybe not) X times to win. Every time you click on it a bitcoin pops out and flies off the screen.

However! The game should give you no indication of exactly how many bitcoins you mined so far, and if you go over, the rig catches fire! So anything under X is a loss, anything over X is a loss that burns down your house!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I can think of a few ghetto ways to do randomness, but that sounds much too advanced for what DIY lets you do. Too many variables. You can't have the game instruction include a randomly determined thing lke that, either - the only ways to do randomness includes some tricks that will kick in and determine the random part only when the game has already started.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Then change it to "Mine [number] Bitcoins before your house burns down!" and just have them try to get a certain number of bitcoins out of a burning server while the background is also on fire.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Sounds like a challenge. I found a guide on GameFAQs about randomization: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/954390-warioware-diy/faqs/59678

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
For randomization, you can make invisible objects and have them turn their switch on 50% of the time. There are two ways to do this as far as I know.

1. If time 1-1 is hit, and a random time between 1-1 and 1-2 is hit, turn on switch. This would mean that if the random time is 1-1, the switch turns on. Otherwise, the switch remains off.

2. Make it so the invisible object appears in a random location, and have the switch turn on if the invisible object is touching a specific location.

To see how many bitcoins will be required to win the game, you can combine which triggers are on or off (e.g, you could have it so if object 1 has it's switch on and object 2 had it's switch off, you require four bitcoins). With this, you could even have it so a random amount of (winnable) bitcoins will appear in random locations. Of course, this does take quite a bit of time. I'll probably edit this post with pictures explaining better on what I mean with the randomness. But overall, the bitcoin mining idea is a nice challenge, both to make and hopefully play.

For the intro text, you could simply put "Mine bitcoins!" and have the amount you need to mine on the game screen.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'd put it as "Mine!" to be more in line with WW prompts.

Did get an idea for a game involving randomness myself, the way I considered was have invisible objects start in random places in an area and move in a direction, and the first one to reach a specific point determined the random thing, but I'm going to try using the timer instead. I think that'd be less switches anyway and an aspect of the way I considered I think would have required six AI entries for an object.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

FlamingRok posted:

For randomization, you can make invisible objects and have them turn their switch on 50% of the time. There are two ways to do this as far as I know.

1. If time 1-1 is hit, and a random time between 1-1 and 1-2 is hit, turn on switch. This would mean that if the random time is 1-1, the switch turns on. Otherwise, the switch remains off.

2. Make it so the invisible object appears in a random location, and have the switch turn on if the invisible object is touching a specific location.

To see how many bitcoins will be required to win the game, you can combine which triggers are on or off (e.g, you could have it so if object 1 has it's switch on and object 2 had it's switch off, you require four bitcoins). With this, you could even have it so a random amount of (winnable) bitcoins will appear in random locations. Of course, this does take quite a bit of time. I'll probably edit this post with pictures explaining better on what I mean with the randomness. But overall, the bitcoin mining idea is a nice challenge, both to make and hopefully play.

For the intro text, you could simply put "Mine bitcoins!" and have the amount you need to mine on the game screen.

Awesome, thanks! I think I get it, so don't feel like you need to take all those pictures.

New episode tomorrow! It's not Bitcoins...yet.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Oh shiiit, I'm supposed to post my video today aren't I?

This one was suggested in a few different forms by several people:

Episode 4 - “M'lady” - Suggested by Ripoff and others

Ripoff posted:

Can you make a dress-up game for a Men's Rights Activist?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'd like to take this opportunity to point out how catchy this game's soundtrack is during game creation. Which is good, because it can take a while if you're doing something detailed or complicated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwJvBLcIuHE

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Maybe it's a bit too early to get all meta but you should make a game about making a game in WarioWare DIY.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

A game where you get really REALLY mad at videogames.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

Baron O Beefdip posted:

So a game about DSP? The command for the microgame should say "POLARIZE FANS" where the object of it is to shout bad things at a game everyone likes and the win condition shows a dwindling ad revenue number counter.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Game Objective: Tap Dat rear end!

Do whatever you want with it, but try to subvert expectations.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I gotta say, you're pretty good at making the little background songs. This and the Goku one are pretty neat, I wonder if it indicates either your own musical skills or how good the game's tools for sound are. Now if only our MRA had a dirty neckbeard and a love pillow in the corner. :v:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I couldn't stop seeing the MRA's chin as his mouth and the black mouth as his nose.

Making music in DIY is really fun. I need to get into multitracking more, I usually just do one or two tracks.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Game Idea: Play song. You have to tap a kazoo to do so.

I dunno, just throwing it out there.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

A pusher robot pushes grandma down the stairs. Ideally her animation goes from standing to skewed maybe 45 degrees or so towards the bottom of the stairs, and slides down. At some point during/at the end of the sliding animation, the words "PAK CHOOIE UNF" appear on screen. Tapping grandma is what triggers pushing her down the stairs.

It's an old reference, but it oughta be easy to make!

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

KennyMan666 posted:

I couldn't stop seeing the MRA's chin as his mouth and the black mouth as his nose.

Yeah same here. I think there was some kind of hiccup with'em in general, his mouth didn't seem to be animated after finishing the game like it should've been.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

AnotherGamer posted:

Yeah same here. I think there was some kind of hiccup with'em in general, his mouth didn't seem to be animated after finishing the game like it should've been.

Dang, looks like I forgot to add that animation.

Gyra_Solune posted:

I gotta say, you're pretty good at making the little background songs. This and the Goku one are pretty neat, I wonder if it indicates either your own musical skills or how good the game's tools for sound are. Now if only our MRA had a dirty neckbeard and a love pillow in the corner. :v:

Thanks! It's easy to make something that sounds neat when it's only 2 seconds long.

Baron O Beefdip posted:

"PLAY FTL!"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
An XCOM minigame where you reset after one of your awesome shootmans dies unexpectedly (and totally unfairly :xcom::arghfist::arghfist:).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

An XCOM minigame where you reset after one of your awesome shootmans dies unexpectedly (and totally unfairly :xcom::arghfist::arghfist:).

A Fire Emblem minigame where you reset after one of your awesome swordmans gets their 3rd consecutive empty level.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
A game where YOU are a U.S. congressman and your job is to filibuster attempts at reform. Whenever one of your fellow congressmen put forth a motion, repeatedly tap your character to blabber about nonsense for as long as possible! Is repeatedly tapping something a viable input option?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem. Have some invisible objects with switches, when you tap while none of those switches are on, turn on the first one. Tapping when the first is on, switch on the second. You could also have if you tap while it's a certain art, and switch the art with each tap.

This is really one of the best things about the game, figuring out creative ways to have the game work the way you want it.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

KennyMan666 posted:

This is really one of the best things about the game, figuring out creative ways to have the game work the way you want it.

This, and Jimmy T.'s workout music.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I just marathoned all the videos in this thread and I love the idea.

This is a low effort idea on my part but I don't want to bog you down with my bad ideas when you can make much better ones: do something with Sanic.

The T fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 26, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want you to try and be topical

The Wii-u Shredding money while Wario cries in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I want you to try and be topical

The Wii-u Shredding money while Wario cries in the background.

The Wii-U really does seem like it was invented by Wario.

• Locked thread