Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

This post is about having to choose between two good things, so I'm not complaining, just looking for some insight. Also, neither offer has been officially tendered yet, but both are looking likely; it's very possible my decision will be made for me, but just in case I get both, I'd like to wrap my head around it. It's also possible both will flake out on me.

I've been unemployed for nearly a year now (I work in the games industry) after being caught up in a round of layoffs with my former mega-corporate employer, who seems to have taken every move over the last year to poison my city's tech scene and make a series of increasingly psychotic blunders. The manner of the layoff hosed me over for finding new gigs (no access to my portfolio, NDA'd out the rear end, during a period of career transition that left me under-qualified for a lot of gigs, etc), and its been grueling.

Finally, though, I seem to have two opportunities in front of me. One is a company that I'm still interviewing with, but my friends who work there indicate that my chances are good (which I've heard many times before, so I'm not giving it much credence, but enough to consider what may happen in a few weeks). Another is a studio that told me that they had to push out the official offer until May due to production logistics, but that the job is mine when they do. Both would involve having to leave Seattle (which saddens me), but the locations, opportunities, and implications for my career are highly disparate. Here's the benefits and drawbacks of each, which I'll call San Francisco and Bordeaux by their locations:

San Francisco:
  • Excellent pay. It's in San Francisco, so cost of living is high to begin with, but I can find modest rent around, and it would pay enough for me to fulfill my goal of buying a boat and living aboard, which will actually cost less than rent near the city proper.
  • Amazing studio culture. This studio has an incredibly welcoming, inclusive, and employee-focused culture that all my friends who work there can't stop raving about.
  • Job security. This studio has existed for five years and been massively profitable for four and a half. They've never had layoffs and grow sustainably.
  • Job mobility. I would potentially start there as an Associate Producer and work my way up, which is the way it works for all production hires, but the politics are not nearly as strong as they were at my last position. My old employer took my passion for industry and wiped its culturally-sclerotic rear end with it; this is a studio where I can actually have my work taken seriously.

Bordeaux:
  • Location. If I accept this offer when it gets tendered, I'd be moving to the south of France. Relocation, visa, and french lessons would all be taken care of. Pretty rad![
  • Incredible work. This is a studio I worked with at my last employer, and they're the absolute best group of developers I've ever worked with. It would be an incredible learning opportunity to manage them.
  • loving off to where nobody knows your name. Explains itself. There's a lot of stuff I wouldn't mind leaving behind in the US, personally and professionally, and I'm a debt-free twenty-something bachelor with no kids. I could make the most of it.

Major differences between the two, other than location:
  • Pay is not as good at Bordeaux as it would be at San Francisco, and is also heavily taxed (being in France). I could make enough to live and have some fun there, but any long-term financial goals are on the backburner for a while.
  • Work at Bordeaux is in triple-A games, which I like creatively, but triple-A is burning, and a small group of corporate psychos are holding the matches. This studio has operated sustainably, but burns through contractors as well. San Francisco is a mobile/social company; less interesting creatively, but certainly more solid/less risky.
  • Bordeaux is currently reliant on contracts from my former employer, and having seen the general managerial incompetence from the inside, I can't dismiss the possibility that my former employer might, at some point, quit feeding them contracts, which my employment would be contingent upon.
  • If I go to Bordeaux, I'd be away from my father, who lives in Los Angeles. He's the only family I really still talk to and our relationship is important. He'd getting old and his health isn't great, and the thought of being on the other side of the world from him for (potentially) years terrifies me. He's supportive of this move if it comes through, but it still gives me pause.

To me, it feels like San Francisco is the "safe" move, and might be the best for my professional career, getting out of a field as volatile and hostile as triple-A, with a company that shows continued, proven success. But Bordeaux represents the kind of risky move I can only make at this point in my life, something that I may want to do when I have the chance to do it; having the opportunity to live and work in Europe while I'm young is a tempting offer, but I can't help but shake the idea that people may just be romanticizing the European angle.

My current approach is that I'll go with whoever officially tenders an offer first, but if I had to choose between the two, I'm leaning towards San Francisco, if only for this reason: If the Bordeaux studio were instead in San Francisco, I'd go with the other company in a heartbeat. I can't help but think that the location choice is the major factor in their appeal.

I'm stumped. Can anyone offer their perspective on what move they would make in this position, and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

I'd go with San Fransisco too. With the extra money you'll make, you'll be able to go on holiday to France and actually enjoy the time you spend there, instead of living there but maybe never getting to enjoy it because you're being worked to death by an industry with a toxic corporate culture. Having more interesting work only counts for so much if the work environment itself is lousy -- plus, if the Bordeaux studio folds, suddenly you're in France on a work visa with no job and you'll probably have to go through all the hassle of moving back to the US.

greenchair
Jan 30, 2008

Wikipedia posted:

France:
5 weeks + up to 22 days of RTT (Réduction du Temps de Travail, in English : Reduction of Working Time) for the employees that choose to work more than 35 hours per week - the "limit" is 39 per week, further additional hours are compensated in almost all the cases by money and not by additional leave hours. Bonus days off are given to people who take a part of their annual leave outside summer (3 days grant 1 bonus day off, 6 days grant 2 bonus days off). Combining all these rules, in a few public offices and in a few companies like Orange, the resulting total, for certain employees, might be of 9.5 paid vacation weeks (5 weeks of vacation + 4 weeks of RTT + 0.5 week of bonus days off). Furthermore, there are about 10 national holidays (that, though, in many companies are not paid days off, with the exception of the 1st of May, for which a remuneration is compulsory).

You will get 5 - 9.5 weeks of paid vacation in France. How about SF? If it were me, there would be no question. Definitely worth a moderate pay cut. Plus even though you may make more money in SF, everything there is ridiculously expensive. What's the cost of living like in Bordeaux?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eave_by_country

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

I'm the professor.
I made Nano.

French people are terrible you should stay away form them.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?

You're young, the time to do risky exciting things is now. I'd pick France if it were me in a heartbeat.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

If you're planning on having a baby in the near future you'll save like 10,000 bucks having it in France.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Absolutely France, you'll not have a chance to go on an adventure when you get older and tied down etc. Have a blast my man

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

I'd probably go for France, depending on just how much more you'd prefer the SF dev to the Bordeaux dev.

Further, I'm not in the business, granted, but when I hear "mobile/social", "secure and likely to be around for the long-term dev" is probably the last thing that comes to mind. Especially if you are talking about gaming.

waffle fucked around with this message at Apr 7, 2014 around 03:50

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

greenchair posted:

You will get 5 - 9.5 weeks of paid vacation in France. How about SF? If it were me, there would be no question. Definitely worth a moderate pay cut. Plus even though you may make more money in SF, everything there is ridiculously expensive. What's the cost of living like in Bordeaux?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eave_by_country

If I went to SF, I'd immediately move to buy a particular boat I've been eyeing up here in Seattle and sail it down. Total mortgage payments on it would be about $1500/mo, plus roughly $700 in mooring and utilities, at a marina in Redwood Shores. A little high, but less than the city in terms of price, plus I'd be paying towards ownership.

Starter Wiggin posted:

You're young, the time to do risky exciting things is now. I'd pick France if it were me in a heartbeat.

That's what I'm hearing from everyone else. I have some fear of being away from key friends and my father, and of the security of my position, but if they tender the offer first, it's probably what I'll move on. The only way I know to deal with the fear of a situation is to throw myself headlong into it.

I should probably elaborate why I'm nervous: I got the email of intent to hire a few weeks back, saying I'd have the offer the next week. I got another email a few days later saying that because of production scheduling, they have to push the offer out to May. That gives me reason for concern. If the purpose for my hiring can be out a week and suddenly be out more than a month, they're likely getting jerked around by my old employer and running on thin margins, and it doesn't give me much confidence that my employment will be lasting.

Dusseldorf posted:

If you're planning on having a baby in the near future you'll save like 10,000 bucks having it in France.

I was not planning on it but I plan to invade france with powerful sex moves

waffle posted:

I'd probably go for France, depending on just how much more you'd prefer the SF dev to the Bordeaux dev.

Further, I'm not in the business, granted, but when I hear "mobile/social", "secure and likely to be around for the long-term dev" is probably the last thing that comes to mind. Especially if you are talking about gaming.

Yeah, it's normally risky. This place is one that's had continued and sustainable success, though. Small company, but a major player in iOS development and a huge cash base, founded by some ex-facebookers. Extremely stable. Rumor is that if they were ever bought out by Tencent or the like, the price tag would be in the billions.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Next time PT6A makes you want to buy him another red title, instead please donate to the Alberta Children's Hospital that he hates so much.

Squirrel Burger posted:

If I went to SF, I'd immediately move to buy a particular boat I've been eyeing up here in Seattle and sail it down. Total mortgage payments on it would be about $1500/mo, plus roughly $700 in mooring and utilities, at a marina in Redwood Shores. A little high, but less than the city in terms of price, plus I'd be paying towards ownership.

A good rule of thumb is to budget 10% of purchase price for maintenance on a boat. For the love of God, don't buy a boat to save money. Boats are a hole in the water into which you throw money. Having lived on a boat, I cannot even express to you what a terrible idea living on a boat is if you're doing it to save money. Living on a boat is a thing you put up with when you're using the boat to go on a grand adventure around the world, not a plan for staying in a single place. If you're looking at a not-new boat, you're looking at possibly massive maintenance/repair bills; if you're looking at a new or new-ish boat, you're looking at godawful depreciation.

I'm not going to weigh in on whether you should choose SF or Bordeaux (personally, I'd be very conflicted), but if living on a boat is a part of your plan for living in SF, that tips the decision in a particular way. Hint: it involves drinking a fuckload of great wine, and very low chances of earthquakes.

EDIT: I don't know what the French immigration process is like, but you also have to remember that if you can go through the process and gain citizenship, you will have an EU passport that you can use to work any number of places with no restriction, and you'll be able to pass on to your future spouse/descendants. That's something a lot of people would absolutely kill to have, even if they already live in a first-world country. If your work would not make you eligible for citizenship or residency at any point, then disregard this part of it.

PT6A fucked around with this message at Apr 7, 2014 around 04:55

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Go to South France to the city where the best wine in the world comes from. French people only suck in Paris. In the rest of the country they're laid back cool people who like to drink and eat.

Seriously, France is probably my favorite country in the world, and you will have an amazing time there. It's the kind of thing that you look back on and say 'That was the best decision I ever made'.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Duolingo.com, for French lessons.

Bonne nuit!

Edit: San Francisco's cool but living in France gives you voluminous vacation time with which to bang around Europe during your 20s.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

aka Snake13

San Francisco 100%, these people telling you France are doing so because its exciting and sexy, but its only exciting and sexy for like 6 months tops then its just another place you live. Go to SF, make more money, get promoted, vacation wherever you want. Also San Francisco is pretty awesome and I think is an objectively better place to live.

Also this might make some people's heads explode but one of the things I hate about living in Italy is lack of access to Californian wine, I really like strong 15%+ Zins and the Italian wine just doesn't scratch that itch.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

PT6A posted:

Boat stuff

Yup, all hassles that I'm familiar with. I've been sailing around Seattle for a while and discussing the option with people here, including people who have been liveaboards for decades. Certainly labor-intensive, but also something I've been wanting to do for years and may finally have the chance to do in San Francisco, so I'll investigate it if it comes to that.

PotatoManJack posted:

Go to South France to the city where the best wine in the world comes from. French people only suck in Paris. In the rest of the country they're laid back cool people who like to drink and eat.

Seriously, France is probably my favorite country in the world, and you will have an amazing time there. It's the kind of thing that you look back on and say 'That was the best decision I ever made'.

This is the kind of thing that motivates me to go, but also makes me fear missing out if the SF offer comes in first. I've decided I'm taking whoever gets the paperwork in front of me soonest; I wouldn't have the time to delay or refuse an offer to speculate if the position in Bordeaux will be there in May. I'm hoping it works out. Both experiences would be enriching, but France is France and the studio is awesome.

Jarmak posted:

San Francisco 100%, these people telling you France are doing so because its exciting and sexy, but its only exciting and sexy for like 6 months tops then its just another place you live. Go to SF, make more money, get promoted, vacation wherever you want. Also San Francisco is pretty awesome and I think is an objectively better place to live.

That's my big fear, I've never been to France and I'm worried that some of the enthusiasm behind it may be other people's sexy vicarious novelty. Thankfully, as I said above, I think my decision will end up being made for me, but this is something I need to chew on if I end up with two offers simultaneously. Bordeaux would certainly make me more worldly.

As far as living in SF, I frankly hate the city. I would be living south of there around Burlingame or Redwood Shores. A little bit 'burby, but I actually quite like it.

I'm going to try and hunt down one of my old coworkers who's still at the old company to see if he has any insider information on how sustainable their relationship is with Bordeaux. If it's shaky, I'll opt to stay away, but they're currently going through a re-org and heads are rolling.

I should probably also mention: If I end up in San Francisco, my father told me out of the blue that he'll front the whole tuition for me to attend Stanford Business School to get my MBA while I'm at it, which is a major sweetening of the pot.

Squirrel Burger fucked around with this message at Apr 7, 2014 around 08:32

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

William "J." Fillmaff in training

As an expat working in a related field, both of these are close. If they were the same kind of job Bordeaux would be a no brainer. But your employer being reliant on a bad company for all of its work is very iffy. Plus, SF lets you move up the ladder in a way that France will not.

I'd decide based on how badly I wanted an EU passport, because the only part of Bordeaux that is genuinely irreplaceable is the chance of French citizenship down the road. Hope you're good at languages!

e: never mind, the post-edit makes it a no brainer, just go get a top 1 MBA for free ffs (this assumes you've gotten in already)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Squirrel Burger posted:

I should probably also mention: If I end up in San Francisco, my father told me out of the blue that he'll front the whole tuition for me to attend Stanford Business School to get my MBA while I'm at it, which is a major sweetening of the pot.

You can always go to France on vacation.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

"Does a superman have super-hunger, Gerry? Super-loneliness?"

I've much rather live in Bordeaux than SF (which is expensive and not that great), but the MBA should sway you.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

aka Snake13

Squirrel Burger posted:

That's my big fear, I've never been to France and I'm worried that some of the enthusiasm behind it may be other people's sexy vicarious novelty. Thankfully, as I said above, I think my decision will end up being made for me, but this is something I need to chew on if I end up with two offers simultaneously. Bordeaux would certainly make me more worldly.

As far as living in SF, I frankly hate the city. I would be living south of there around Burlingame or Redwood Shores. A little bit 'burby, but I actually quite like it.

Most of the enthusiasm for France is probably sexy novelty.

That said, I made my prior recommendation from the point of view of a jaded expat who can't wait to move home next month, thinking about it I'm really glad I got the opportunity to experience living in Europe even if I find myself preferring the States.

Basically I think it comes down to whether you want to turn down an objectively better career opportunity for the experience of living in France.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

I got tired of seeing Louis' text here, so instead you get this duck. I put some of it in gold and this part would love some crackers.

~SMcD

Go to France. Opportunities like that are rare.

wetrocks
Mar 19, 2014

by XyloJW

Both are terrible options

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

San Francisco and the East Bay are nice but the peninsula is poo poo and not much cheaper.

AbDomen
Sep 2, 2006
Well you know what they say... "If you want to save the world, you got to push a few old ladies down the stairs."

As a European:
Dude, France is boring. Be young and live and work and party in San Francisco, the gay capital of the world and the party capital of California! What a risky, exciting experience compared to boring wine country!

Romanticizing goes both ways. Take the free MBA, the safe job and the proximity to family. I'm an expat and do recommend living abroad for at least some time during your life, but I don't know if I would do it in your case.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

The managers always talked about having the view from 30,000 feet. The only problem with having the view from 30,000 feet, is at that height, everybody looks like ants.

Christ, I should've gone into tech.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Battle not with monsters
lest ye become a monster
and if you gaze into the abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you.

If your dad is offering you free college how is this even a debate of which option to choose?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

I'd definitely say go with France. Loads of paid vacation time, free healthcare, the possibility of picking up a European passport if you stay for a few years, the ability to use said vacation time to travel around Europe, great tasting €2 bottles of Muscadet from the local supermarket and a job that you describe as more fun/creative. You are only young once.

edit:

Jarmak posted:

Also this might make some people's heads explode but one of the things I hate about living in Italy is lack of access to Californian wine, I really like strong 15%+ Zins and the Italian wine just doesn't scratch that itch.

You can't seriously be using wine as an upside to San Francisco... We're talking about Bordeaux here. A region with amazing wine of it's own, plus other amazing wines from elsewhere in the country, all amazingly cheap.

Masonity fucked around with this message at Apr 7, 2014 around 19:15

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Next time PT6A makes you want to buy him another red title, instead please donate to the Alberta Children's Hospital that he hates so much.

Jarmak posted:

Look for wines made from the Primitivo grape. It's the Italian name for Zinfandel, and they certainly get up to 15% ABV or more. I'm not super-well-informed about the regions that grow it in Italy, but you'll probably want the southernmost/warmest one, as warmer climates will be better at producing high-alcohol wines.

Claverjoe
Dec 21, 2005

As long as I didn't have any attachments, I'd go with the job that gives me free language training and a chance at having an EU passport, which I can bring home with me and leverage into more cool jobs back home after a few years. Especially if living in SF means living on a boat.

EDIT: Protip, learning multiple languages helps stave mental degeneration into your old age (like Alzheimer's disease). And if you are like most people, you won't really learn unless you really need to do it, so I'd go with France for your health.

Claverjoe fucked around with this message at Apr 8, 2014 around 16:43

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

I moved from North America to Europe. Yes, the novelty wears off. But I'm still learning and discovering new things about this culture every day. Living in a completely different country also makes you really reflect on and realize things about where you came from that you hadn't before. Not to mention that being bilingual looks great on a resume, and being immersed in the language is the only way you can truly learn it.

I think it all depends on what kind of person you are. If you want stability, security and predictability, go to SF. If you've got the wanderlust, go to France.

edit

PT6A posted:

Look for wines made from the Primitivo grape. It's the Italian name for Zinfandel, and they certainly get up to 15% ABV or more. I'm not super-well-informed about the regions that grow it in Italy, but you'll probably want the southernmost/warmest one, as warmer climates will be better at producing high-alcohol wines.

Yes. I think you're thinking of Amarone. Grab some of that and it will knock your socks off.

insufficient guns fucked around with this message at Apr 7, 2014 around 22:59

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Wait...

Squirrel Burger posted:

So you're not actually moving to SF (and hate SF?), but the peninsula? The job is in SF?

I live and work in SF and enjoy it, but I'd go for France because how often will you ever get that sort of opportunity?

But I also cannot fathom choosing Burlingame over the city (or the east bay), so

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

aka Snake13

quote:

wine chat

Damnit where were you guys three years ago? I've had a really good Amarone, I never realized it was a type and not a winery.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Seriously dude just go to France. If the Job is a path to citizenship that is an amazing icing on the cake (Eu citizenship is the best drat thing) but France is still the better choice.

Don't live on a boat.

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

Live in a boat in SF eating my own turds at the height of the tech bubble or enjoy beautiful socialist france forever??? tough decision op I wish you well.

Factory
May 20, 2010

[quote="Squirrel Burger" post="427979799"
Yup, all hassles that I'm familiar with.

[/quote]

This doesn't seal the deal? SF by a mile.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You'll have much better luck dating in SF.

I'm sure some goon will say you can date ok in both places, whatever, but you'll do better in SF.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Thanks to the tech boom, SF has way too many dudes. There's even some startup that's trying to fly women out from NYC to SF to go on dates.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

May your eyes be opened by the wonderful

Go to France. SF sucks now. Unless you are a hipster or rich. France is France and in the long run will be the better life experience.

E: If you already don't like SF, why would you even consider it?

E2: And if you are interested in travelling around Europe, France is a great base to work from. You can do weekend trips all over. You can really see a ton of the world. If you go to SF you can see parts of California and then it starts to get pricey.

One last thing, France is a once in a lifetime type of opportunity. SF and the tech thing isn't going away. The bubble will burst again, but the tech field will be around forever. SF may even become nice again. Doubtful, but it is possible. I say this as a SF native who watched the city turn to poo poo. It still has the mystique about it, but the cool SF has been gone for quite some time now.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at Apr 8, 2014 around 17:31

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

I've moved countries before (twice) before landing up in ... san francisco (now san jose). I'd pick the south of france option in a heartbeat. The san francisco option has good pay but rent is *ridiculous*.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

France. Not only will you get more vacation time, lower cost of living, you will most likely meet some beautiful French girl and it could change your life.

SF has a much higher cost of living, you are still going to get the higher income level taxed anyway, and you will be working for a dime a dozen mobile company where jobs are very unstable: Pretty much like AAA companies.

You can teach your dad to use a video communication software and still see and talk to him whenever you want too. Show him the place you live and work with a rear facing camera - it will be like he is there. You can still be in constant contact. You are young, no ties, no kids, nothing to hold you back. If you don't try this (You can always come back) it may be something you look back on and really wish you wouldn't have taken the risk. When people pass on (My wife is a nurse in a Burn unit and she talks to a lot of folks that unfortunately are not going to make it) sometimes they talk about their best moment, and if they could do it all over again what would they do differently, and it always comes down to a life choice such as this and "I wish I would have taken more risks".

Do it. France.

Edit: On Seeing the world, think of all the awesomeness you will be able to see. Normandy, Germany, you could go on a Band of Brothers tour all by yourself just driving around. Eifel Tower, Rome, Berlin, The Wall, Austria (.... Jesus I need to get to Europe to do these things... Wish I would have had your opportunity in my 20's)

Go to San Francisco and you will go to Alcatraz, take a few trolley rides, and ride your bike down a couple steep hills and call it a life.

France.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at Apr 9, 2014 around 00:09

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Unless you really, really, really want that MBA, go to France.

Like everyone else already said, the take-home pay may be lower, but you will generally have a higher quality of life, cheap access to most of Europe and the vacation time (5 weeks minimum) to see it. Make the effort to learn French and, provided that you are there for 5 years, become a dual citizen and enjoy being able to live and work in the EU as well as the US.

Even if you hate France and find yourself longing for easy access to overpriced SF designer cupcakes, you can easily go back to the US and start over, but going the other way without an EU citizenship is a challenge.

For what it's worth, a few of relatives of mine took advantage of opportunities like yours and they are all happy and don't plan on going back to the US anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

The summation that I'm gleaning from these comments is the cases for either:

SF:
- Yo, free MBA from a top school
- Great compensation
- Tons of experience and room to grow
- Not as totally poo poo to its employees as Triple-A

France:
- It's Bordeaux, you idiot! Also SF is an overpriced shithole full of glassholes
- Higher quality of life and more vacation
- Access to Europe
- Try sticking around for an EU passport
- You're young! You'll never be able to do this again!

One thing that I feel the need to clarify re: stability: Yeah, you'd think that the mobile/social space is way more crowded and unstable than triple-A. In this case, though, the generalities are reversed because of the studios. The mobile/social studio, as stated, has had at least three of their games in the iOS top charts in any given week for several years; their success isn't a fluke, and that's what intrigues me. They've never had layoffs, have a huge cash base, and grow sustainably enough that their culture isn't toxic. The French studio, as I mentioned, is in the triple-A space and is one of the best dev studios I've ever worked with from a publisher standpoint, and has been around for years. My issue, though, is that their actual talent roster is in flux, and on the whim of contracts from my psychotic ex-employer who is currently pushing a project that I personally think is doomed.

Honestly, I'm torn. There's a lot to consider. But as I said, my decision is likely to be made for me; I'm going with whoever can tender an offer first. Not only do I have bills to pay, but I can't risk turning down one solid offer in the hopes that the other will materialize on schedule, certainly not after having so many other leads go the same way.

While I'm still waiting on the offer from Bordeaux (they mentioned early May), I cleared my phone screen with the SF studio yesterday and they're arranging for an onsite interview sometime next week. Could be that I blow it and roll with the Bordeaux lead anyways, could be I ace it and get their offer first (they apparently move quickly once they've made a decision). I'll update the thread when I know more.

«2 »