Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Oh, a FTL LP. I guess hundreds of hours I've spent on this game is not enough. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?
In my test runs I've discovered the Lanius ship is immensely powerful. To give you some idea of what I'm talking about. This is on Normal mode:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

What. Even I can see that's patently ridiculous.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Just barely managed to max everything right before stage 2 of the boss.

e: I think I'm going to like the Lanius run very, very much.

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 12, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
How early did you get a teleporter? This might be important.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

JT Jag posted:

How early did you get a teleporter? This might be important.

Oh yes, it's vital. Your Lanius want to be boarding. They yearn to board. I got it in sector two, and I got distraction buoys in sector 4, which also helped.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
But the question is, which of us Lanius goons will die first through boarding.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

But the question is, which of us Lanius goons will die first through boarding.
That's the beauty of Lanius A. Clone Bay instead of a Medbay. As long as it doesn't get knocked offline at an inopportune time no one will die unless the ship gets destroyed.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

JT Jag posted:

That's the beauty of Lanius A. Clone Bay instead of a Medbay. As long as it doesn't get knocked offline at an inopportune time no one will die unless the ship gets destroyed.

We still get to point and laugh as they emerge from the cloning pot with rosy red cheeks.

But still, it starts with one? If you get a teleporter, you're set.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

ViggyNash posted:

We still get to point and laugh as they emerge from the cloning pot with rosy red cheeks.

But still, it starts with one? If you get a teleporter, you're set.

Yep, it starts with the clone bay and hacking. Lanius A is pretty absurd once you have upgraded shields and a teleporter. It really took my breath away.

It's almost as absurd as Lanius B.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 12, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, sure, I'll enroll in our little ship of doom. Who needs oxygen anyway?

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Why on earth do you have Emergency respirators on a ship that should have no oxygen in the first place?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

"Let me fire the lasers. I'm helping!" :downs:

Being on the winning team feels good. Just got my first win...

With Fed B.

On Easy.

But it was really fun anyway. If you want to put me at the bottom of the list I'd love to be even more useful

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Colander Crotch posted:

Why on earth do you have Emergency respirators on a ship that should have no oxygen in the first place?

That's exactly why... it makes it so the crew that does need to breathe, of which I have many, takes 50% less dmg from all the venting to space I'm doing

e: It also starts with it

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 12, 2014

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Yeah I saw the other guys after I posted that. So does that mean you are basically constantly having to shuffle guys into the med bays? I guess I should just wait to see the video when you post it, huh?

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Colander Crotch posted:

Yeah I saw the other guys after I posted that. So does that mean you are basically constantly having to shuffle guys into the med bays? I guess I should just wait to see the video when you post it, huh?

You can leave oxygen in some rooms. I haven't gone for the achievement yet intentionally; that will make it more difficult. You can still leave O2 on in a few small rooms though. It mostly helps for the transition time of moving about the ship to other areas with O2 when necessary.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Yep, it starts with the clone bay and hacking. Lanius A is pretty absurd once you have upgraded shields and a teleporter. It really took my breath away.

It's almost as absurd as Lanius B.

Well done.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Momplestiltskin posted:

You can leave oxygen in some rooms. I haven't gone for the achievement yet intentionally; that will make it more difficult. You can still leave O2 on in a few small rooms though. It mostly helps for the transition time of moving about the ship to other areas with O2 when necessary.

You get a max 8 squares of O2 filled space and I wouldn't go above 6 squares.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Rather Watch Them posted:

"Let me fire the lasers. I'm helping!" :downs:

...For a certain definition of helping, my apprentice. :sweatdrop:

I'm halfway tempted to get this game, but I have the sneaking suspicion this is the new Rogue Legacy / Risk of Rain thread. (ie. Talented person makes it look easy or at least reasonable, lots of people try and end up sharing horror stories, until the wave of first victory tales starts coming in.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Momplestiltskin posted:

e: What I was referencing earlier with regard to anilEhilated being oddly prescient in his prediction at getting us through.

He somehow managed to set my crew record for most piloted evasions. I was not kidding when I said I am usually better prepared for the boss and it does not take as long.

Dodging like a chump champ! Thus, my name is immortalized as the biggest pussy to ever have flown a spaceship.

Anyway, holy (space) poo poo, the new ship seems broken. I do not envy the goon who ends up being the one human crewmember, though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

anilEhilated posted:

Dodging like a chump champ! Thus, my name is immortalized as the biggest pussy to ever have flown a spaceship.

Anyway, holy (space) poo poo, the new ship seems broken. I do not envy the goon who ends up being the one human crewmember, though.

Suffocating to death, surrounded only by aliens who not only don't care, but actively contribute to your oxygen-less demise? Only to be repeatedly revived and have to relive it over and over again?

What's not to like?

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Huh, thanks mompelstiltskin for demonstrating to me that there's an expansion pack. I had tooled around on easy until I unlocked all the ships (including Crystal A and B :smug:) and forgot about FTL for a while.

Now I'm back in it! And willing to bump up to normal for a few goes after I do my unlocking spree. God knows how I'm going to get Slug B all the way to Sector 8 though...

Also, Volunteering to be a Space Man/bug/robot/crystal/strangely anaerobic creature!

First Tube
Apr 25, 2010

From this day on I'd have to fight these forces of darkness and deal with the burden of day to day admin.

Jabor posted:

Suffocating to death, surrounded only by aliens who not only don't care, but actively contribute to your oxygen-less demise? Only to be repeatedly revived and have to relive it over and over again?

What's not to like?

I have no air and I must breath.

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
The piloting room and the rooms above and below it if kept filled with oxygen is 19% with every other room open. That's if you want to play it safe, reducing the rooms make it easier to get the achievement in some cases.

In one of my runs trying to get it, a hacking module hit my door control room, closing 2 spaces knocking me above 20%.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I don't want you to name anyone after me, but name your gunner rear end in a top hat.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

M.c.P posted:

Huh, thanks mompelstiltskin for demonstrating to me that there's an expansion pack. I had tooled around on easy until I unlocked all the ships (including Crystal A and B :smug:) and forgot about FTL for a while.

Now I'm back in it! And willing to bump up to normal for a few goes after I do my unlocking spree. God knows how I'm going to get Slug B all the way to Sector 8 though...

Also, Volunteering to be a Space Man/bug/robot/crystal/strangely anaerobic creature!

Slug B is much better than I gave it credit for. Just keep in mind that Heal Bomb only heals friendly crew and that you start with 25 missiles.

e: VV I did not know that. That's hilarious.

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 12, 2014

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Momplestiltskin posted:

Slug B is much better than I gave it credit for. Just keep in mind that Heal Bomb only heals friendly crew and that you start with 25 missiles.

I think they fixed the bug with the heal bomb. At one point, even if you weren't in combat, you could miss trying to heal people on your own ship if you didn't shut off the engines.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

How are you supposed to get the stealth ship's two combat related achievements (dodge 9 damage with a single cloak, or destroy a ship with one round of cloaking)?

They seem way more involved than a lot of the other achievements.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

ChaosSamusX posted:

How are you supposed to get the stealth ship's two combat related achievements (dodge 9 damage with a single cloak, or destroy a ship with one round of cloaking)?

They seem way more involved than a lot of the other achievements.

The dodging damage one is easy as long as you make it to stage 3 of the boss, just cloak during a power surge at the same time as his laser fires (happens pretty often). Congratulations, you got the achievement. Destroy a ship within one round of cloaking is best accomplished with the stealth weapons augment that makes it so firing does not decrease your cloak time. Pretty easy to do to AI ships that don't have shields as long as you have decently powerful weapons. Can even do it in sector one sometimes.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Major_JF posted:

You get a max 8 squares of O2 filled space and I wouldn't go above 6 squares.

This isn't true. I tested it. You get three rooms full of oxygen for a total of 19% total air. It doesn't matter if those rooms are two tiles or four. I got the achievement with Piloting, Engines, and Teleport oxygenated. (The game kept throwing Mantis and Rock at me, so I had to let them chill in the teleport.) The one thing you have to look out for is if you get hacked, the closing of the doors will not only cause the room itself to fill with oxygen (unless one of your Lanius is already in there) but it can also block off other rooms from the airlocks, so you might want to pause and make re-rout your venting in that situation. Your unfortunate flesh crew will have to cower in piloting or engines (or the enemy ship) for that fight.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Quickly! Take shelter aboard the hostile ship... where it's safe!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Momplestiltskin posted:

Quickly! Take shelter aboard the hostile ship... where it's safe!

Look you can either die to mantis claws while doing something worthwhile, or you can suffocate aboard our ship. Sorry that's space war law.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JT Jag posted:

Since you've proven yourself to be alright at keeping your crew alive, I want in on the next ship.

Get a load of this guy, joining with the goal to survive!

I volunteer to die gloriously in the name of the federation, and hope I get to take as many rebel scum with me as possible!

Also: all the rebels are human, I noticed. Are they space racists?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Might be, Federation tends to imply several different self-governing states/planets (unless you're Russia), so they're probably inhabited by different races.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Look you can either die to mantis claws while doing something worthwhile, or you can suffocate aboard our ship. Sorry that's space war law.

Well, in either case, the ship does have a cloning bay. Just sprint back for the rooms with oxygen once you pop out and you'll be fiiiiine.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

Well, in either case, the ship does have a cloning bay. Just sprint back for the rooms with oxygen once you pop out and you'll be fiiiiine.
Rooms with oxygen? Sorry, we keep the entire ship open to the cold void of space at all times. Unless you can survive in a hard vacuum you'll find youself dying, resurrecting and dying again in a constant, hellish loop, begging for just one last sweet breath of air that you will never get and praying for a true death that never comes.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also: all the rebels are human, I noticed. Are they space racists?

I've seen a few places say it's implied but haven't noticed anything yet. Apparently there's an event where a rebel ship will let you go without a fight if all your crew are human?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

JT Jag posted:

Rooms with oxygen? Sorry, we keep the entire ship open to the cold void of space at all times. Unless you can survive in a hard vacuum you'll find youself dying, resurrecting and dying again in a constant, hellish loop, begging for just one last sweet breath of air that you will never get and praying for a true death that never comes.

Being regenerated in the warm embrace of the cloning vat is the absolute best part of this job.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

I wonder if the clones remember their deaths. That could give you some major PTSD. Pretty dark stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Considering how their skills degrade after every rebirth, I'm not sure there'd be enough of them left after enough resurrections to suffer much of anything.

• Locked thread