Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
All this talk of bosses and ship layouts has me very much intrigued. I just hope that my toon will fare better than in most of my Space Station 13 rounds.

...I'm now equating boarders with syndies in my head, and fully expecting to be spaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Yapping Eevee posted:

...I'm now equating boarders with syndies in my head, and fully expecting to be spaced.

Assuming they don't shoot you, or have mantises rip you to shreds, this is highly likely.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?
The first part of Episode 2 is finished being edited and getting prepped to load onto youtube now. I am ashamed to say I filmed this late last night under the influence of a certain recreational substance, so you will notice quite a few glaring mistakes at times. My overall play is solid, but my decision to go to the bottom area of the map instead of the top was dubious at best. Also, despite doing some testing it seems I did not notice that I was breathing into my mic like a drat idiot, and the music was a bit too loud compared to my voice. So I apologize for this episode's general lack of audio quality and the poor choices within. That said, I'm still playing pretty well and I think it should be a fun watch. I'll correct the breathing into the mic issues in the future.

Once it is done compiling and uploaded I will post it in the OP! The rest of Episode 2 will soon follow, and then I will get to work recording Episode 3, with proper crew names from the thread and hopefully some better choices/audio.

e: here is Episode 2A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qo8foZJ06c

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 8, 2014

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Do a Mantis B run or an Engi A to show off Hard mode

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Little_wh0re posted:

Do a Mantis B run or an Engi A to show off Hard mode

Engi A was my first game win.... I don't think I'd call them that hard :)

Also, my understanding was that the Engi were robotic people hence why they had no trouble with the disease events.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

PotatoManJack posted:

Engi A was my first game win.... I don't think I'd call them that hard :)

Also, my understanding was that the Engi were robotic people hence why they had no trouble with the disease events.

I think he means to play the game on Hard difficulty. I am afraid of Hard difficulty. I think I would not be able to play around or make interesting choices; I'd have to play at the very top of my game to have any chance of winning. Not as suitable for an exploratory let's play, but a possibility later perhaps.

You are definitely right about the Engi; if you read all of the text of the event it basically says that the people trust the engi and he's able to move among them without being infected because he's mostly not organic.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Voting for Rock A or Slug B, on whatever difficulty you can manage with those. I've never managed to get those to work so I'd like to see how someone else handles them.

Also, sign me up for space navy.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Just posted episode three. I hope this redeems me from the unfortunate missteps of episode two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-jh9ZDzm5k

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I require naming.

Good LP so far.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

A warrior of energy-efficiency! That's Zoltan!

This new race looks fun to play. It sounds like a good gimmick ship (like Slugs but more aggressive) and it sounds like it's better for fighting fires and filling hull breaches.

Anyway, here's hoping Rather gets to retire! :toot:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Weapons expert, hmm? Sounds good to me! :black101:

I haven't been reading the new LP for it, but I just remembered the other thing this game reminds me of: Infinite Space.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just watch it, I'll get us home. Anyway, voting for Lanius A to see the new stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm voting for Mantis type B because I want to see what it's like to defeat your enemies by killing them individually, instead of blowing up their ship. Also I'm reporting for duty, I don't care about race or gender, just thro me on the roster when you can.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 8, 2014

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Voting Tally So Far

Crystal B: 1
Lanius A: 3
Mantis B: 3 (Going to need to count votes for two ships as one vote for simplicity's sake, choosing first item)
Rock A: 1

e: Updated Voting tally to include the three posts below this one. If there is a tie we'll have a run-off.

e2: Run-Off Time.

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 8, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Signing up for space.

Also, show off the insanity of a mantis run.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Oh yeah, definitely Lanius.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Voting Lanius, because I really like the new systems.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Alrighty! I will be releasing episode four (second-to-last sector) this evening and recording the final sector where we will face off against the boss. I think this is a good time to move to a run-off vote between our two top choices so far. Mantis B and Lanius A each have 3 votes by my count, so these are our two options.

This Run-Off Vote will end at 8:00 PM Central Tonight, so whichever ship has the most votes at that point will be our next ship. If it's STILL a tie, I will make an executive decision.

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 8, 2014

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Lanius from me.

I've played shitloads of Mantis Bs and the Lanius guys seem interesting.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I've never tried the Lanius, so it gets my vote.

GrandpaAhab
Sep 15, 2011

Oh no, not again.
Lanius. I never even heard that they had made advanced edition until I stumbled on this thread. I can't wait to check out the new systems and such.
Might I recommend calling it if it's the Lanius The Metal Trap because their ships really do look like flying hunks of scrap metal.
If it's a mantis ship, I'd recommend calling it Bug Prime because then all the Mantis's aboard would get pissed off at being called bugs instead of insects. They seem like the kind of race that would get offended at that petty stuff.

Wikiman
May 30, 2011
Lanius here too. Wanna see that new race in action.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I just caught up, and I know you fixed the issues in episode 3, but what were you doing in episode 2 that made it sound like you were LPing in a wind tunnel?

It's a good LP though, and the fact that you made me a mantis man is all the more hilarious to me considering my favorite line in Portal 2.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

kalonZombie posted:

I just caught up, and I know you fixed the issues in episode 3, but what were you doing in episode 2 that made it sound like you were LPing in a wind tunnel?

It's a good LP though, and the fact that you made me a mantis man is all the more hilarious to me considering my favorite line in Portal 2.

Glad you're happy with Mr. Mantis! Basically I have two mics, one on my webcam and one on a headset. I used the webcam mic for episode one because Number Three was with me, and I figured the headset mic would be superior. Turns out it's not, basically. I tried like 20 different ways of mic placement and all of them were bad. I think if my headset had come with one of those little soft black mic cover things you see on a lot of headsets that it would help, but unfortunately it did not. I just switched back to the webcam mic for episode three.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Mantis because chopping dudes up is the way to go

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Episode Four is up, and you can find it here:

Episode Four "The Vindictive Pre-Finale Episode" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIyMJUVv0Zk

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Without giving away too much, the last sector took quite some time, so we'll be separating it into multiple episodes. Episode Five is a brief teaser episode. I would say more about other forthcoming episodes but... well, we must retain some suspense. Suffice to say Episode Five is not the last you'll be seeing of The Last Stand.

Episode Five "The Beginning of the End" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_sDROcdaaQ

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Screw you for getting me to play this game again. I now remember the pain of losing to crewmembers because even though I was only attacking with ion weapons, the enemy ship got destroyed by asteroids. :argh:

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Spoiler since it is so near the video Since you already recorded it I think you missed something. The boss actually has to spend three consecutive turns in at the base in order to destroy it. So even though it worked out you would have been fine either way.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Colander Crotch posted:

Spoiler since it is so near the video Since you already recorded it I think you missed something. The boss actually has to spend three consecutive turns in at the base in order to destroy it. So even though it worked out you would have been fine either way.

Good to know, thank you! I think my very first time reaching the final sector I lost this way and was so afraid if it ever happening again I just always block him from getting to the base at all.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
Re Spoilers : I think that's new in advanced edition.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Are there any ships that start with Mind Control? I really want to see a playthrough where you just go through the entire game, trying to slaughter as many (enemy) crew members as possible, looting the ships, rather than destroying them.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Are there any ships that start with Mind Control? I really want to see a playthrough where you just go through the entire game, trying to slaughter as many (enemy) crew members as possible, looting the ships, rather than destroying them.

Mantis B will accomplish this through more direct and faster means than a mind control unit.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GrandpaAhab posted:

The Metal Trap
What are you talking about, ISS Rustbucket is the way to go.
And I'll gladly use up some oxygen as a non-human crewmember.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sign me up as some sort of alien.

Will you be going for the achievements? I keep forgetting to watch my air levels when I try it, and get too much air.

The ISS NoAir

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I hate how easy you're making this game look because I do nothing except blow myself up :(

(Sign me up)

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Veloxyll posted:

Sign me up as some sort of alien.

Will you be going for the achievements? I keep forgetting to watch my air levels when I try it, and get too much air.

The ISS NoAir

We'll be trying for the no air achievement, and possibly the active hacking, battery, and mind control achievement, but definitely not the save 600 scrap achievement. That is frankly way too hard for me to accomplish on Normal without a substantial amount of luck, and I don't think I want to rely on luck in this LP.

As a brief announcement, Episode Six will be up this evening, so we will experience our first taste of The Rebel Flagship.

GrandpaAhab
Sep 15, 2011

Oh no, not again.
Will the ISS Rustbucket engage it's Tetanus Boosters instead of an FTL drive?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I wouldn't mind being an alien too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Argh - you mande me jump back into this game last night. Made it to the final sector before I got crushed. Some of the cool new modules really change how you can build your ship for the final encounter.

Spoilered just in case:

I had 4 shields and 2 Shield Rechargers so unless I got really unlucky (which I did in the end) my shields were almost never down.

• Locked thread