Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I don't generally use actual missile weapons, Swarm Missile excepted, but bomb weapons are the poo poo. Being able to throw around Breach Bombs or Ion Bombs works much better when you have a nice ammo buffer, and some kind of damaging bomb is a core part of my flagship strategy, for turning the medbay into a deathtrap. They also hasten the demise of the weapon operators, which is always welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Kinda wish there was a "Bio Bomb" weapon that did a bunch of damage to crew. Not enough to full out kill from 100, but a good 60 damage? I think 10 less than enough to kill a zoltan from max would be an interesting bomb.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Zebrin posted:

Kinda wish there was a "Bio Bomb" weapon that did a bunch of damage to crew. Not enough to full out kill from 100, but a good 60 damage? I think 10 less than enough to kill a zoltan from max would be an interesting bomb.

Firing a Breach Missile directly at a Zoltan does 60 damage, has okay chance of stun and fire and excellent chance of breach.

The Breach Bomb II does 45 damage and always creates a breach. Two of them will kill a Zoltan.

The Stun Bomb also stuns crew for fifteen(!) seconds, which does serious damage if they're, say, inside a room on fire, in a room with no air, or are getting beaten up by boarders.

But yeah, I think a Bio Bomb weapon would be pretty neat, if only because it would give out another blue option for that Giant Alien Spiders event. I wish Fire Beams, Fire Bombs and Breach Bombs (possibly Ion-Intruder?) would all be low-reward options for that event, but we can't have everything.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It is a truth universally acknowledged that you do not gently caress with giant alien spiders.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Neruz posted:

It is a truth universally acknowledged that you do not gently caress with giant alien spiders.

Unless you've got a clone bay.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Neruz posted:

This is so true. Unless you are on the Slug A.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U__1tsXLX4

The adventure continues.

I'm still taking offers on what ship to do next - I'm thinking the Mantis C. I hate it, but my room mate claims to have a pretty consistent strategy, so I'd likely just make him play.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Re: The Ion damage from the pulsar.

It looks like your Zoltan shield was absorbing the hits and protecting your systems. I didn't even know that worked, but that's definitely a point in the shield drone's favor!

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Shady Amish Terror posted:

It looks like your Zoltan shield was absorbing the hits and protecting your systems. I didn't even know that worked, but that's definitely a point in the shield drone's favor!

Yeah, I figured that out during editing :v: Not worth it for the three drone power. The Stealth C uses a 2 power varient.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Wouldn't the drone recovery arm have meant free zoltan shields forever...?

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.

citybeatnik posted:

Wouldn't the drone recovery arm have meant free zoltan shields forever...?

Yes it would, Bootys passing up of the drone recovery arm, when hes been using so many drones up till then confuses the hell outa me, And You don't need all that fuel, Your already good till end game stop buying fuel dang it.

Other than that your ripping ships apart and making for a good LP.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I was looking at the current drone situation - if I only spent one drone per battle then I'm mostly self-sustaining. I think the biggest mistake was selling the 4-shot laser charger. It would have been good for the whole game if no other options came up. I ultimately sold it out of habit.

I was also saving up for cloaking. No defence drones in addition to fewer shield bubbles. Part of the difficulty in the Stealth C is to make everything you purchase count, and if you buy a drone recovery and only use it for shield drones there's a problem. If I had a combat drone then the drone recovery would have been a lot more tempting.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 23, 2014

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
We're doing remarkably well for starting out without shields, sensors, or cloaking.

All of which we could technically have at this point.

Not sure why you didn't pick up sensors, but you've been doing fine without them so far. Should be interesting to see if you go all the way without them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Shei-kun posted:

Not sure why you didn't pick up sensors, but you've been doing fine without them so far. Should be interesting to see if you go all the way without them.

The most valuable ability that sensors give you is the ability to see the enemy crew, since that tells you what races they have and whether or not their ship is on fire. But you get those same abilities by having a Slug on your ship, so there's no great rush to get sensors. As long as you keep an ear open you can tell if your own ship is on fire or has a hull breach, since they both have subtle audio cues.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The most valuable ability that sensors give you is the ability to see the enemy crew, since that tells you what races they have and whether or not their ship is on fire. But you get those same abilities by having a Slug on your ship, so there's no great rush to get sensors. As long as you keep an ear open you can tell if your own ship is on fire or has a hull breach, since they both have subtle audio cues.

Fire is also pretty obvious since it puts a fire symbol over the room it is in if there is a component there.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
If it's not in a system room you don't get that though - but you kinda still need to be concerned because it could easily spread to multiple system rooms.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
It would be more interesting if lack of sensors didn't show you the enemy's individual rooms or its systems, but I think it would be either too crippling or difficult to have that as a feature. Maybe if they decide to make a sequel: 'FTL 2: Now You're the Rebels'

I typically have a pretty good memory on where weapons fire hits, and I also use the little fire symbol on a system's power bar. Upgraded doors also prevent a fire from spreading, and manned unupgraded doors can work in a pinch too.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 23, 2014

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfsd6xkOhMo

Next couple sectors are up.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I've been avoiding using the Stealth C for a while but you make it look plenty deadly. Even the piddly mini beam. For one reactor power you get a lot of bang for your buck. I think my next playthrough will be with it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The mini beam is a fantastic weapon if you have other weapons to bring shields down. It's a guaranteed (i.e. cannot miss) 2-4 damage depending on ship layout, and a short enough charge time that it can fire alongside basically any other weapon, for 1 bar of reactor/weapons.

Its biggest problem is that it's only available on the Stealth ships which only have 3 weapon slots. It's a lot harder to fit those "awesome as long as they have support from other weapons" weapons into such loadouts.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
So how good is a blood-drenched pit fighting champion Engi in a fight, anyway? About as good a regular untrained dude?

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

madmac posted:

So how good is a blood-drenched pit fighting champion Engi in a fight, anyway? About as good a regular untrained dude?

Not even that good. Engi racial modifier is -50%, the gold skill-level bonus is +20%. Like someone mentioned before: Engi are nerds.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Unload My Head posted:

Not even that good. Engi racial modifier is -50%, the gold skill-level bonus is +20%. Like someone mentioned before: Engi are nerds.

You would think that what amounts to a large amount of sentient nanites would be better in a fight/grey goo their asses.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Zebrin posted:

You would think that what amounts to a large amount of sentient nanites would be better in a fight/grey goo their asses.

Yeah but Gameplay. If the Engi were depicted as actual grey goo beings they would basically be unstoppable by normal means.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
They don't fight well because fighting is the opposite of repairing and they are programmed to be very good at repairing. :downs:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Kanthulhu posted:

They don't fight well because fighting is the opposite of repairing and they are programmed to be very good at repairing. :downs:

Use those designated "Enemy" as raw materials to improve "Component:Reactor"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zebrin posted:

Use those designated "Enemy" as raw materials to improve "Component:Reactor"

That's what the Lanius do.

EDIT: VVV yeah, the different races in FTL are mostly pretty interesting. Humans and Mantis have been done to death, but telepathic slugs (slugs of any kind, really), nanite swarms, and metal morphs are pretty novel. The sentient boulders are kind of middle-of-the-road though.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 26, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I just imagine that the game makers wanted to avoid making another cadre of killer robots and I thank them for it. The borg/cylons/daleks/necron/what-have-you are cool and all, but I appreciate that the engi are relatively harmless and friendly in the grand scheme of things.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's just a gameplay abstraction; I'm sure if the Engi really wanted to they could go full grey goo and just start dissassembling you at the molecular level but Engi are mostly peaceful and happy so they don't do that.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Neruz posted:

It's just a gameplay abstraction; I'm sure if the Engi really wanted to they could go full grey goo and just start dissassembling you at the molecular level but Engi are mostly peaceful and happy so they don't do that.

Yet they're still fine with brutally murdering people with bear hands.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Steelpudding posted:

Yet they're still fine with brutally murdering people with bear hands.

If you're incompetent enough to get pawed to death by an Engi then you don't deserve to live.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I never really imagine them as nanites. I think they're described to be more like cyborgs - part flesh, mostly machine.

Anyway, that Combat Drone II in the asteroid field was leveling your shield dude (Toranor) like crazy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Speleothing posted:

I never really imagine them as nanites. I think they're described to be more like cyborgs - part flesh, mostly machine.

They're explicitly described as being shapeshifters in some events, and in particular their naval yards involve many Engi swarming together into a single shipbuilding entity, if I recall correctly. This is rather at odds with their sprites, I will grant.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the Engi are described as being clusters of trillions of nanites (see wiki), it also says their bodies are relatively delicate which makes sense if they're grey goo that is clumping together into advanced shapes. The fact that they need oxygen to operate is explicitly called out as a wierd mystery that nobody can explain.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gF_ZkfHDYM

For better or for worse, this concludes the flight of the Faberge Egg.

I say something at the end of the video and I must have had some weird temporary broken blood vessel in my brain, so I'll clarify here:

I made three recordings, the first one I didn't publish because there were too many technical issues I couldn't work around, but I finished it anyway and won. The second one was the first one I posted here which I lost, and the third one I just finished. So 2/3 ain't bad and its not completely absolutely random (but still more random compared to, say, the Kestrel or Red-Tail.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Man, two burst laser twos, a halberd beam, and two combat drones. That's just unfair.

I'd like to see a Zolton, Rock, Slug, or Engi run, (Whatever version you think is most awful) those seem to be the less popular ships.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
My namesake survived! Great run, ProfessorBooty.

I'm voting for Zoltan C (if we can vote).

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Voting is fine - encouraged even.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
I vote for the Engi B as I haven't been able to get past sector 2 in that ship even on Easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I'll vote for Zoltan C as well, mostly because I think watching the Zoltan micromanagement should be interesting, and of all the ships likely to be in the running, it's the most likely to employ an ion stacking strategy. Which means it's the best ship for a fire beam or fire drone.

• Locked thread