Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So I figured I'd finally give FTL a spin due to this LP, and my impression so far is that if I wanted to be kicked in the balls over and over for a few hours I probably could've found someone to actually do that who wouldn't've made me pay ten bucks for it. Is there anything I can do to do better or is everything just down to the RNG's arbitrary whim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This LP is pretty awesome! You're making all the fights really fun to watch and your commentary is very informative. I kinda want to play FTL again now.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Flesnolk posted:

So I figured I'd finally give FTL a spin due to this LP, and my impression so far is that if I wanted to be kicked in the balls over and over for a few hours I probably could've found someone to actually do that who wouldn't've made me pay ten bucks for it. Is there anything I can do to do better or is everything just down to the RNG's arbitrary whim?

Practice helps, and don't feel any shame about playing on Easy. Normal is HARD.

I don't even want to think about actual Hard. I assume you have to fight the flagship at the first nav point or something.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

It used to be that putting only 1 power into cloaking helped a lot with having it recharged in time for the next flagship POWER ATTACK, but given how those power surges were coming at the end, it looks like they took care of that strategy too. I liked how leaving it underpowered worked as part of the broader plan.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

quote:

Federation Cruiser Type A
One of the first ships you typically unlock, acquired by beating the game once. It is unique among all ships in that it's the only ship that starts with (or can even acquire) the Artillery Beam system. This is a slow-charging, auto-firing (meaning you don't choose where it hits) beam weapon that pierces ALL shields. The drawback is this ship cannot EVER have cloaking.

So I dunno if Advanced Edition changed this or something but my first victory with this ship involved a cloaking device soooooo.

quote:

I don't even want to think about actual Hard. I assume you have to fight the flagship at the first nav point or something.

Worse! The gun rooms are connected to the rest of the ship, so they can be repaired even if you kill the guy in them.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?

Flesnolk posted:

It might seem like the RNG is just loving you, and sometimes it is, but usually even with bad luck you can win if you play it right, especially on Easy. It's just not... well, easy. Hopefully you can pick up a few things from the LP. It can be discouraging when you run across enemies you simply can't beat, so remember two things: 1) You can always jump away if you have to 2)Half the battle is being prepared before the battle. Make sure you are saving up a decent amount and build combos of systems and weapons that go well together as much as you can.

Shadowlyger posted:

So I dunno if Advanced Edition changed this or something but my first victory with this ship involved a cloaking device soooooo.

Worse! The gun rooms are connected to the rest of the ship, so they can be repaired even if you kill the guy in them.

You are right, it appears they did change this in advanced edition! You can now use cloaking and artillery at once... interesting.

And yes, that new development is one of the main things that scares me off of Hard. I still lose on Normal sometimes; thinking about Hard makes me want to cry.

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 11, 2014

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Er, uh, I just wanted to leave open the possibility that they're trans? :supaburn:

Thank you for checking your cis privilege

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Momplestiltskin posted:

It might seem like the RNG is just loving you, and sometimes it is, but usually even with bad luck you can win if you play it right, especially on Easy. It's just not... well, easy. Hopefully you can pick up a few things from the LP. It can be discouraging when you run across enemies you simply can't beat, so remember two things: 1) You can always jump away if you have to 2)Half the battle is being prepared before the battle. Make sure you are saving up a decent amount and build combos of systems and weapons that go well together as much as you can.

Yeah, a lot of the problem is so much seems to be pure luck. I'll start doing well, and I always get to the last or second-last sector, then the game arbitrarily goes "gently caress you, you die" and I do. My last attempt was pretty hilarious though - a really tough fight left the whole ship on fire and most of my crew dead, but I still won and got all the fires out, only to find myself in a position where the oxygen was hosed and none of my surviving crew had enough health to even get through the deoxygenated parts of the ship and to the oxygen room, let alone fix the system. gently caress the layout of the Zoltan Cruiser sometimes, seriously.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
You can still get pretty far with bad luck though.

I had 17 hours played of this game and only reached the final boss once, and died in round 2. I started playing again because of this LP, and using what I learned from watching Momplestiltskin play, I have put 4 additional hours into this game and reached the final boss three more times, and finally beat it on the third attempt (This might have had a lot to do with the added features from Advanced addition but let's not consider that)

My First attempt at the boss was promising until that thing happened that I posted the above screenshot for.

My second attempt at the boss I had awful, awful luck leading up to him. Was so low on health that I started The Last Stand at around half health and couldn't get to any repair bays so I was forced to go straight to the boss. I couldn't find a shop with a Cloaking Device, so I had no cloaking or drone control, and my weaponry was the same as in Momplestiltskin's current run. So basically I had his lack of useful firepower without anything that makes me survivable in a drawn out fight. Even then, I died on round 3, I left one guy alive but in the cockpit, so he teleported at me, got himself killed, at that was the beginning of the end. I took a lot of damage from his mind controls and couldn't defend myself from the special attack.

Third time was just a few hours ago and everything went peachy. I had 3 mantis crew members but couldn't get a crew teleporter, but I made up for it with cloaking, hacking, and two flack guns. Hacked their engines to bring them down to 0 evasion and melted everything away with the flack guns two and additional lasers I had. Final boss died hilariously fast.

e: I feel like hacking Engines might be the choice. Instead of choosing shields so you have less to go through, or weapons so they attack less, you can hack their engines and get guaranteed damage. Have 6 laser shots and enemy has level 4 shield? You will hit your target twice, no questions asked. That's enough to start destroying subsystems.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 11, 2014

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Things can completely turn around for you so even if you're struggling for a sector or two you might still pull a win. I played Lanius A last night and for the first 3 sectors I had to spend most of my scrap on repairs and hardly had enough to upgrade, and then things just turned around and scrap poured in and I ended up destroying the flagship with very little effort. It was my first time with Lanius though so it may have just been figuring out how to play them well.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Renegret posted:

You can still get pretty far with bad luck though.

I had 17 hours played of this game and only reached the final boss once, and died in round 2. I started playing again because of this LP, and using what I learned from watching Momplestiltskin play, I have put 4 additional hours into this game and reached the final boss three more times, and finally beat it on the third attempt (This might have had a lot to do with the added features from Advanced addition but let's not consider that)

My First attempt at the boss was promising until that thing happened that I posted the above screenshot for.

My second attempt at the boss I had awful, awful luck leading up to him. Was so low on health that I started The Last Stand at around half health and couldn't get to any repair bays so I was forced to go straight to the boss. I couldn't find a shop with a Cloaking Device, so I had no cloaking or drone control, and my weaponry was the same as in Momplestiltskin's current run. So basically I had his lack of useful firepower without anything that makes me survivable in a drawn out fight. Even then, I died on round 3, I left one guy alive but in the cockpit, so he teleported at me, got himself killed, at that was the beginning of the end. I took a lot of damage from his mind controls and couldn't defend myself from the special attack.

Third time was just a few hours ago and everything went peachy. I had 3 mantis crew members but couldn't get a crew teleporter, but I made up for it with cloaking, hacking, and two flack guns. Hacked their engines to bring them down to 0 evasion and melted everything away with the flack guns two and additional lasers I had. Final boss died hilariously fast.

e: I feel like hacking Engines might be the choice. Instead of choosing shields so you have less to go through, or weapons so they attack less, you can hack their engines and get guaranteed damage. Have 6 laser shots and enemy has level 4 shield? You will hit your target twice, no questions asked. That's enough to start destroying subsystems.

*Single tear
So proud.

I think you may be right about engine hacking. Eliminating the RNG's ability to gently caress you is always lovely.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Just caught up with this thread. Good LP, with a game I really enjoy.

Since I see Lanius A is the next ship up for the thread, have you considered doing the low oxygen achievement. I had a lot of fun going for that one. Plus crew teleporter+hacking, always be asphyxiating the enemy.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
This thread and the new update inspired me to start playing again...and yeah.
Cruising happily along in nebula sector and suddenly a textbox notified me that enemies have disabled my O2 :haw:

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Just a Fish posted:

This thread and the new update inspired me to start playing again...and yeah.
Cruising happily along in nebula sector and suddenly a textbox notified me that enemies have disabled my O2 :haw:

Ah yes, if you are in a nebula or especially a slug sector I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading to level 2 O2 for this very reason (if you don't have your own hacking to counter theirs). It can ruin your whole day.

e: I would point out you could MAYBE have salvaged it with your level 2 medbay by cycling your guys through. You could also have jumped away! Cowardice is better than death.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
FTL really is an exercise in paying attention, because even with an easy access pause button there's a lot of things you can miss or forget about. Explaining every single thought and step is probably helping Momp keep track of everything that's going on, but he still misses some things now and then.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Just jumping away would have saved you. O2 would start working again and refill the rooms in a second.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Well don't i feel stupid now, completely forgot that you can just jump away

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

I was going to wait until this evening to post Episode Eight, but I am impatient and if you need something to get you through your Friday work day well, here you go. I hope you enjoy watching as much as I did making.

Episode Eight "The Last Last Last Stand" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPMzO5nqT3g

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Video is set to private currently.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
It's set to private.

e:f;b

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Woops! Sorry about that. All set now.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm enjoying this LP. Good commentary, good gameplay, and a breakneck update schedule.

And you staved off Friday afternoon office boredom for 20 more minutes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Jesus, what's the flagship's autopilot dodge rate? :stare: You needed 4/7 shots to get through to damage it once its shields were already damaged, and I don't think you once succeeded at that.

Getting that fire in the engine room was a huge break for you, and helps show why weapons like the firebomb can be helpful even though they don't directly do damage. The ion bomb is still better though.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Hooray, I didn't die! That was actually a really intense fight. I'll be sure to keep up even if I'm not on the next mission.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Good lp! Nice commentary and you showed how good choices and strategies can make the best of non-optimal luck.

I do think you could have used your mind control aggressively near the end though- if it had mind controlled one of your engi alone in an unneeded room (drone control?), the damage from that would have been minimal and you could have taken out the evasion and/or stopped their last guy from repairing shields. Although thinking back I'm not sure something like that ever came up.

Anyway I look forward to seeing you wreck face with some of the crazier ships.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Jesus, what's the flagship's autopilot dodge rate? :stare: You needed 4/7 shots to get through to damage it once its shields were already damaged, and I don't think you once succeeded at that.

Getting that fire in the engine room was a huge break for you, and helps show why weapons like the firebomb can be helpful even though they don't directly do damage. The ion bomb is still better though.

When I fought him this morning and stuck a hacking unit on his engine, it told me 33%. I honestly don't remember if that's with or without a pilot.

It didn't matter much once I clicked the magic button that brought it down to 0 so I didn't pay 100% attention.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Mazerunner posted:

Good lp! Nice commentary and you showed how good choices and strategies can make the best of non-optimal luck.

I do think you could have used your mind control aggressively near the end though- if it had mind controlled one of your engi alone in an unneeded room (drone control?), the damage from that would have been minimal and you could have taken out the evasion and/or stopped their last guy from repairing shields. Although thinking back I'm not sure something like that ever came up.

Anyway I look forward to seeing you wreck face with some of the crazier ships.

You are completely right. I didn't have THAT many opportunities, but the mind controlled engi in drone control was not the slightest bit of a threat and I could have stopped him from repairing shields. That's one of the things about FTL though. No matter how good you are, there is always something that you could have done you didn't think of at the time. You start to fall into a pattern of continuing a strategy you've started with, in this case just automatically countering mind control every time without thinking about it. Good point, and we should all keep that in mind in the future!

e: On an unrelated note, I have a special bonus in mind for this evening. I may not be able to do it depending on how much work it would be to put together (I'm just using windows movie maker to edit because it's free, but it's not exactly the most powerful editing program), but if I can I think it will be a nice way to cap off the play-through.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Since you've proven yourself to be alright at keeping your crew alive, I want in on the next ship.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I was cringing every time you fired at shields instead of engines, though was really happy when you started doing so.

And yes, please, put me on the next ship.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Just watch it, I'll get us home. Anyway, voting for Lanius A to see the new stuff.

Also, this post from earlier in the thread is oddly prescient for reasons beyond just the fact that we survived. I will show you why when I am back at home this evening.

First Tube
Apr 25, 2010

From this day on I'd have to fight these forces of darkness and deal with the burden of day to day admin.
I'd like to be on the next ship as well please. :D

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Man, so much micromanaging in this LP. I think I managed to learn a couple things in the process. Good job in that first run.

Also, "Highwayman" is a new way for people to read this moniker.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 11, 2014

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Highwang posted:

Man, so much micromanaging in this LP. I think I managed to learn a couple things in the process. Good job in that first run.

Also, "Highwayman" is a new way for people to read this moniker.

Thank you, and what can I say, when I let my brain do certain tasks on auto pilot it tends to fill in the gaps with... creative imaginings.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

After the fifth or sixth miss on the shields, I was starting to wonder why you didn't target piloting or the engines - anything to make the drat ship easier to hit to begin with. Lo and behold, the second you do, it almost entirely wins the battle for you.

I know everyone tends to go for weapons/shields right from the off, but the most successful runs I've had usually come from me hamstringing every ship, then killing off the crew when they try and fix the engines.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

After the fifth or sixth miss on the shields, I was starting to wonder why you didn't target piloting or the engines - anything to make the drat ship easier to hit to begin with. Lo and behold, the second you do, it almost entirely wins the battle for you.

I know everyone tends to go for weapons/shields right from the off, but the most successful runs I've had usually come from me hamstringing every ship, then killing off the crew when they try and fix the engines.

Yeah, I think the fire made it look more effective than it would have been otherwise, but it would still have worked better than going for shields in that situation. I'm used to having more firepower, and typically hitting shields before engines would make more sense. In this case though, I think I should definitely have gone for the engines earlier. I was also banking on them losing more evasion from not having a pilot, allowing me to hit shields again while he was trying to repair, but my luck was bad enough that their auto pilot worked just as well as their pilot did.

e: What I was referencing earlier with regard to anilEhilated being oddly prescient in his prediction at getting us through.

He somehow managed to set my crew record for most piloted evasions. I was not kidding when I said I am usually better prepared for the boss and it does not take as long.

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 12, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Congrats! That last phase was insane, with the high dodge rate of the enemy.

Can I be some big burly alien on the next ship? :D

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I guess I'll sign up for the next run. And maybe see if sticking close to what you do in these vids makes the game a bit more tolerable; I had a setup pretty much just like yours first time I got to the flagship and pretty much just immediately got murdered.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Do we get to vote on the next ship, or are you choosing it/have already chosen it?

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
I am humbly requesting passage aboard your next ship and will work as crew. Got back into this game after the update came and I'm trying a Lanius run now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:toot: Yay, us! And all thanks to our brave captain Momplestiltskin.

I'd love to have another go if you ever run out of fresh volunteers.

• Locked thread