Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I hate how easy you're making this game look because I do nothing except blow myself up :(

(Sign me up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
*sigh*

This LP got me playing again as I've never beaten it.

Had a very, very promising run and was doing well against the final boss until this happened...

(linked because it's phase 2)

http://imgur.com/YSWfW1F

One careless mistake timed with a hit on my doors, all my dudes suffocated to death in a matter of seconds.

Mr. Maxwell actually managed to survive that one, but he ended up blown up with the ship a few seconds later. What a terrible way to die, stranded in the O2 room with no way out. Honestly that little mistake isn't what killed me, I was pretty much dead before it happened. Engine room caught fire and I had nobody available to safely put it out so I decided to vent it, and shortly afterwards a separate attack put my O2 room on fire. I knew I didn't have enough Oxygen left to let the fire vent, so I opened the doors to let the air distribute and whoops forgot to close the blast doors. I'm not confident, with the state of my crew, I would've been able to get the fire out and O2 repaired before I ran out of Oxygen anyway.

Some day I'll beat this game. This is only my second time reaching the final boss and I was doing much better against him than the first time. That Flak II was perfect for getting through any shield.

e: Welp, time to watch someone who doesn't suck at this game make an embarrassment of me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
You can still get pretty far with bad luck though.

I had 17 hours played of this game and only reached the final boss once, and died in round 2. I started playing again because of this LP, and using what I learned from watching Momplestiltskin play, I have put 4 additional hours into this game and reached the final boss three more times, and finally beat it on the third attempt (This might have had a lot to do with the added features from Advanced addition but let's not consider that)

My First attempt at the boss was promising until that thing happened that I posted the above screenshot for.

My second attempt at the boss I had awful, awful luck leading up to him. Was so low on health that I started The Last Stand at around half health and couldn't get to any repair bays so I was forced to go straight to the boss. I couldn't find a shop with a Cloaking Device, so I had no cloaking or drone control, and my weaponry was the same as in Momplestiltskin's current run. So basically I had his lack of useful firepower without anything that makes me survivable in a drawn out fight. Even then, I died on round 3, I left one guy alive but in the cockpit, so he teleported at me, got himself killed, at that was the beginning of the end. I took a lot of damage from his mind controls and couldn't defend myself from the special attack.

Third time was just a few hours ago and everything went peachy. I had 3 mantis crew members but couldn't get a crew teleporter, but I made up for it with cloaking, hacking, and two flack guns. Hacked their engines to bring them down to 0 evasion and melted everything away with the flack guns two and additional lasers I had. Final boss died hilariously fast.

e: I feel like hacking Engines might be the choice. Instead of choosing shields so you have less to go through, or weapons so they attack less, you can hack their engines and get guaranteed damage. Have 6 laser shots and enemy has level 4 shield? You will hit your target twice, no questions asked. That's enough to start destroying subsystems.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 11, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Jesus, what's the flagship's autopilot dodge rate? :stare: You needed 4/7 shots to get through to damage it once its shields were already damaged, and I don't think you once succeeded at that.

Getting that fire in the engine room was a huge break for you, and helps show why weapons like the firebomb can be helpful even though they don't directly do damage. The ion bomb is still better though.

When I fought him this morning and stuck a hacking unit on his engine, it told me 33%. I honestly don't remember if that's with or without a pilot.

It didn't matter much once I clicked the magic button that brought it down to 0 so I didn't pay 100% attention.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

JT Jag posted:

Rooms with oxygen? Sorry, we keep the entire ship open to the cold void of space at all times. Unless you can survive in a hard vacuum you'll find youself dying, resurrecting and dying again in a constant, hellish loop, begging for just one last sweet breath of air that you will never get and praying for a true death that never comes.

I never thought of this game so morbidly before.

e: I haven't tried the cloning vats before. How much of a penalty do crew members take when they die? I feel like you want to keep your guys alive to try and preserve their skills, and if you do that then you're essentially wasting a slot you can put a cloak device or something like that in.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Well, it really isn't a wasted slot if you were going to have a medbay. Medbay and Cloning Vats are a one or the other choice as you can't have both.

Okay that I did not now. So if I was flying around with a ship that started with a Medbay, I assume I wouldn't be able to purchase a cloning vat then? As opposed to replacing it or something.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
When I first started playing this game I never paused the game. I kept forgetting the pause button existed and I'd play everything through in real time.

I think that could be a fun self challenge because the game is a hell of a lot more frantic that way. It'll get you killed though.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Deer diery

I got too close to the enjin and burnd myself again. Captin showted at me for getting hurt. "Weel never win the war if you keep getting woonded like that" he said. Then he made me go sit in the cold room until I got sleepy and woke up in the weerd jelly room agen. I dont like the weerd jelly room. Every time I go in there I feel less clever but Captin says its for the good of the Feddyrayshun. I wish I cood remember what a Feddyrayshun was. I bin in the jelly room so often I dun remember much else.

This is the last readable entry. The few following were just large spirals and scribbles, like someone trying to mimic writing without knowing what it actually is.

And next thing you know he's in charge of piloting the ship because of an unfortunate asteroid accident.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Cross posting from the other thread:

That last power surge completely wrecked me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Momplestiltskin posted:

Especially the Kestrel one to repair to full from 1 HP. For that one you have to play normally to get enough scrap to full repair, then find a crappy ship that couldn't normally hurt you and does 1 dmg at a time preferably. Then turn off you shields and let it hurt you. Turn them back on at 1 HP, then leave. It's a pain in the rear end.

e: Asteroid fields also work for this

I actually got that one sorta legit. I really did get to 1 HP and managed to jump away in time to a store. The problem is that no sane person is going to repair their ship to full at a store so you still have to consciously go after it.

• Locked thread