Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Having a teleporter and mind control on the same ship is actually sickening. You can empty an entire enemy ship in 10 seconds flat if you do it right. I had a runthrough with the Mantis B ship where I got both of them that I probably could have beaten the boss with if I weren't so bad at this game on anything but Easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Since you've proven yourself to be alright at keeping your crew alive, I want in on the next ship.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

How early did you get a teleporter? This might be important.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

But the question is, which of us Lanius goons will die first through boarding.
That's the beauty of Lanius A. Clone Bay instead of a Medbay. As long as it doesn't get knocked offline at an inopportune time no one will die unless the ship gets destroyed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

Well, in either case, the ship does have a cloning bay. Just sprint back for the rooms with oxygen once you pop out and you'll be fiiiiine.
Rooms with oxygen? Sorry, we keep the entire ship open to the cold void of space at all times. Unless you can survive in a hard vacuum you'll find youself dying, resurrecting and dying again in a constant, hellish loop, begging for just one last sweet breath of air that you will never get and praying for a true death that never comes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

berryjon posted:

Finally, my first victory!

With the Kestral. On Easy mode.

But I am now in love with the Vulcan Laser. Holy, does that thing earn its keep on long battles!
No poo poo. I got my first victory on Easy Mode with the Vulcan Laser using the Red Tail. I can't believe I actually had to think before ditching the four lasers for the single Vulcan.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If only you had upgraded that clone bay, maybe the second Lanius might still be alive...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Major_JF posted:

Skill wise you are better off not purposely killing off you own crew. Example, If you are 8/8(16) kills in fighting and at ~60% health you can do more damage before they die than a 100% 7/8. And the shields/weapons/engine guys that don't normally take damage should be able to use the small healing to get back up to full before taking more damage.
When I was doing a runthrough as Lanius I found upgrading the clone bay to 3 as soon as possible and trying to avoid killing them as much as possible was the way to go. Healing 25% of health every jump is pretty useful.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Momplestiltskin posted:

I'm still deciding how I'd like to approach using the clone bay with boarders. You are right that skilled crew members are much more effective at fighting. The problem I run into is that before they hit their first level of skill you can run into a fight that you really need them to be at full health for, and if they aren't you can take a lot more damage to your hull than you'd like. You raise a good point though. Ultimately I think the med bay is just better. It has more utility, it's less risky in many ways, and it doesn't need to be upgraded to be effective to the same degree that the clone bay does.
The Clone Bay has a number of fringe benefits that make it pretty powerful, but you don't want to overuse it. The biggest strength of the clone bay is that it will still heal you jump to jump even when it isn't powered (and I think it still triggers to save your crewmen in events when it isn't powered too), so there's no reason not to upgrade it fully as soon as possible. Basically you don't want to force crewmen to die to make use of it, but rather consider the cloning to be a side-benefit.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

my dad posted:

I'd suggest going to Rockland. We have a rock crewman who could save us from some dangerous rock related events, but we have no slugs to help us navigate the Slugula.
I almost voted the other way because I want to pick up a Slug, but yeah this makes more sense.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Stealth B, because that's a ship concept I really like but I always die horribly.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Yeah, I really hope you use the ion weapon for the boss. Ion weapons are just great when you're focusing on boarding.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have real trouble recommending drones though. A Defense Drone 1 will shoot down missiles, and that's about the best use of drones available.
The new anti-combat drone can be a life-saver against stage two of the boss.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I've never beaten the game on easy and even I know that you should have at least two levels on every module by the time you hit the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Momplestiltskin posted:

Yeah just rub it in. Just keep rubbing it in, you dirty dirty bastards :'(
If it makes you feel better I meant to type "I've only beat the game on easy"

• Locked thread