Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
This game is all kinds of fun. Looking forward to seeing what the advanced edition has brought to the table.

Voting on the Civilian sector

e: Name a dude in the next ship after me. If he can be a Mantis or Enji dude, all the better

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Little_wh0re posted:

Do a Mantis B run or an Engi A to show off Hard mode

Engi A was my first game win.... I don't think I'd call them that hard :)

Also, my understanding was that the Engi were robotic people hence why they had no trouble with the disease events.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Mantis because chopping dudes up is the way to go

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Argh - you mande me jump back into this game last night. Made it to the final sector before I got crushed. Some of the cool new modules really change how you can build your ship for the final encounter.

Spoilered just in case:

I had 4 shields and 2 Shield Rechargers so unless I got really unlucky (which I did in the end) my shields were almost never down.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Momplestiltskin posted:

Boss Fight Mode Engage: Test Your Might

Episode Six is now live.

"With a Mind Control Cherry on Top" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNhkAn2GYfg

Yeah, I tested out Mind Control last night in my run, and found it to be excellent. You can usually end up taking out at least a crew member with it, and generally can delay / hinder their ability to repair systems efficiently. It also means you can negate enemy mind control or make boarding attempts much less threatening.

Overall, I really like it as an added tool.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Momplestiltskin posted:

The FTL Gods were not smiling upon you.

Xom thinks this is hilarious!

e: The above game is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Xom is the God of Chaos. If you worship him, he usually thinks it's hilarious when you die, and he's often the reason you die.

Not to get too far off track, but as an example, Xom will sometimes make the weapon you are using come to life and attack you because it's funny.

On the flip side, he'll reward you with amazing stuff if you do something like blindly chugging a potion of mutation because to him, that's really funny, and he likes laughing.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

He jumped again? This being the first time I've seen anything past the first stage, that would have pissed me off if I found out myself.

Yeah, I remember the first time I beat the first stage of the boss fight... then ran into the second phase and got super pissed. Then I beat the second stage... only to have him JUMP AGAIN and nearly punched my computer.

Still makes it all the more satisfying when you finally beat him for good.

e: I just wanted to mention something as well about the boss fight. As Momp is showing, taking out those isolated weapons rooms is really key to winning the boss fight, and especially the missile room. There are 3 ways to do this (1 new one thanks to advanced) that are really worth noting to players who have trouble with this fight

1. Boarding - sending 2 team members into the room to take out the weapon is probably the easiest way, and once the dude in there is dead, he doesn't come back.

2. Bomb / Fire Bomb - these ignore shields and while they don't damage the HP of the ship, they are amazing at taking out the system. A fire bomb which ignites one of those rooms has a very good chance of taking out the weapon and the crew member inside. Bombs are generally crappy weapons, except for this instance, and a lot of times I will keep one in storage just for the boss fight.

3. Mind Control - as you've seen in this battle, using mind control to keep a system dead is fantastic.

Once a couple of those systems go offline, the boss fight gets much more managable.

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 11, 2014

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Momplestiltskin posted:

As far as I'm concerned, The Rebels are dirty Nazi Scum and the Federation is a righteous force for justice unless you have a giant spider infestation, in which case, God save you.

Yeah, this was always something that struck me as odd. Maybe I'm just to used to the trope of the rebels being the good guys who are fighting oppression, but it felt weird to be the federation that needs to take out the rebel scum.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Neruz posted:

Ultimately though you could make a reasonable argument that neither side is 'good' or 'bad', it's just two sides and the role you take up is that of a messenger for one of those sides.

And by 'Messenger' you mean harbinger of doom with an insatiable lust for scrap right :)

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
We will, we will ROCK YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I started a Zoltan A run, and man I had forgotten just how overpowered it is in the first couple of sectors when ships are generally only running 1 shield. Most of the time the first beam cripples them enough that they can't even get through your Zoltan shield.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
oops - crap!

Man, I hate how one tiny slip in concentration can totally bone you in this game. I was cruising along in the Mantis A ship with a full crew and 2 badass Mantid borders when I hit the rock event that unlocks their ship. I had forgotten that they go into FTL mode right at the start, and even though I was smashing their faces in, I had forgotten to take out their piloting.

Next thing I know, my 2 badass borders are warped out of the system :doh:

I was hoping that when I met the rock in the next system they would be there, but sadly, it wasn't the case. Oh well, at least I unlocked the Rock cruiser.

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 28, 2014

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

An LP thread isn't the megathread? :v:

And yeah, I just keep reaching the final boss, keep getting annihilated. Three hour runs, just down the drain. It is a bit annoying, guess I just need to be more lucky next time.

But that's kind of the point to a rogue-like as well isn't it? You're supposed to learn along the way, and when you do finally get the tools you need and are able to win the game, it feels all the more rewarding.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Just a quick tip for the final boss for some people having trouble. There's a generally easy 3 piece combo that works pretty well at taking it down.

- Beam weapons with at least 1 shield penetration (i.e. it will get through shields at 1 pip)
- Flak Cannon
- Hacking (even level 1 is fine)

If you can land hacking on the piloting of the final boss, when you activate it, it reduces the dodge to zero. Then fire the flak and all the projectiles will hit because of 0 dodging, and the shields will be taken down letting your beam hit multiple systems.

It won't be the quickest victory, but it can usually be enough if you have enough of a defensive setup to weather the storm.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Engi A because it was my first win and it's fun to play a bit differently

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

space uncle posted:

Space Jesus Forgives All!

bonus Water Into Wine Edition

You must combine your foolish benevolence with drinking wine (perhaps bag wine?). It's what our lord and savior would have wanted.

This

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Philosophical Question for Space Jesus

Does he accept bribes from pirates? On the one hand, it avoids violence, but on the other hand, it's accepting a bribe from a baddie.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
That repair station... PRAISE THE LORD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Just one repair node being accessible would have made all the difference. Still a great effort, and thanks for the LP - it was really great!

• Locked thread