Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Kestrel is pretty sweet - very powerful starting strength. That said I dislike the system layout of A a bit. I stopped piloting a lot of ships after I unlocked Mantis B though since I really enjoyed the playstyle that involved murdering people with mantises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Lanius from me.

I've played shitloads of Mantis Bs and the Lanius guys seem interesting.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Are there any ships that start with Mind Control? I really want to see a playthrough where you just go through the entire game, trying to slaughter as many (enemy) crew members as possible, looting the ships, rather than destroying them.

Mantis B will accomplish this through more direct and faster means than a mind control unit.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Guitar_Hero posted:

I've put about 20-some odd hours into the game and I've never beaten the boss (not even on Easy), so I look forward to how you get through the rest of the battle. I think perhaps trying to get more loot in the last sector might be something I should do more often?

You should by optimizing the number of nodes you explore as much as possible, since the more you look around the better odds of finding good stuff and scrap.

My biggest newbie mistake on getting the game was not upgrading engines. That evasion is a lifesaver for the flagship.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
You don't really need cloaking, it can help but around 90% of my flagship kills have been without it.

There are enough tools and choices to make that you can mitigate most of the things that cause trouble, and honestly evasion is one huge thing you want a lot of since it drastically reduces the danger to pretty much everything.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Momplestiltskin posted:

It certainly happens, but that can happen even if you jump to the next sector too. This is one of the many reasons I prefer to get a teleporter and just take out crew every time. You will often get huge amounts of fuel from boarding. I completed a test run on our Lanius ship last night where I managed to get a teleporter in sector 1, and I never once purchased fuel, ended the game with about 36 fuel. Of course, sometimes even with boarding you are still unlucky. It's not the end of the world to run out, but it's often very very bad.

Ya, if you run out of fuel it's just the RNG not being particularly friendly. The rewards far, far outweight the risks, and if you were running out of fuel exploring everything you would probably have also run out of fuel making a straight shot to the exit every sector as well.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Things can completely turn around for you so even if you're struggling for a sector or two you might still pull a win. I played Lanius A last night and for the first 3 sectors I had to spend most of my scrap on repairs and hardly had enough to upgrade, and then things just turned around and scrap poured in and I ended up destroying the flagship with very little effort. It was my first time with Lanius though so it may have just been figuring out how to play them well.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You took a fair amount of hull damage from that rebel drone ship, actually, since every time its bombs completely destroyed a system, that was 1 point of hull damage. That happened, what, four times?

Also, losing your second Lanius is a huge blow. Lanius just don't play well with other races. It's weird; the AI seems to prioritize hacking/boarding the cloning bay on Lanius A ships. Or is it just my imagination?

Probably just your imagination but it would make sense to hack the clone bay if you board a ship with it, or just board into the bay so you can smash it faster. Otherwise you'll have to deal with yet more clones.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Beams are really powerful but the big thing to learn is you can't autofire them or they'll be mostly worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I don't ever really feel "That's FTL" when my ship explodes unless it was a really, really bad random encounter perfectly setup to take down my ship of choice within the first few stars.

• Locked thread