Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sign me up as some sort of alien.

Will you be going for the achievements? I keep forgetting to watch my air levels when I try it, and get too much air.

The ISS NoAir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

He took my Teleporter when I defeated it last night.

It was kind of brutal.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Even without being in a Mantis ship, it's great. MC some chump, beam in your murderteam. Profit.

ie the opposite of drones early on when you're in the stealth ship.

My poor beautiful stealth ship.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Inadequately posted:

Tried it once or twice with a pretty big stockpile, it's not that great. The boss has far more evasion than a huge lumbering thing like that should have, and missiles don't reload all that quickly. And of course, it's practically impossible to slip one past the drone in phase two. Boarding trivializes the fight much faster.

Heavy Ion and Charged Ion are also good for the fight.

Sad that all I had otherwise was a Burst Laser II. I was at max power and was 1 power short of being able to run my pike beam.

Boarding and Cloaking are two of the best things for the boss fight though.

Though earlier that run I'd had double Pike beams. I spent every jump I had them for making Xs on enemy ships.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

I... suspect the reason why that guy died was because he was mind-controlled at the time, and counted as a player unit. And as we all know, player units die when they leave the same system as you.

This is actually how I managed to mess up when I finally beat it the second form of the boss: "Wait, why am I still on auto-fire? My boarders are still on there!"

I... I am not good at this game. I just managed my first win on Easy yesterday thanks to this LP.

Cloning helps with that! When you lose guys, even through the ship jumping out, they revive!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Flesnolk posted:

So I figured I'd finally give FTL a spin due to this LP, and my impression so far is that if I wanted to be kicked in the balls over and over for a few hours I probably could've found someone to actually do that who wouldn't've made me pay ten bucks for it. Is there anything I can do to do better or is everything just down to the RNG's arbitrary whim?

Practice helps, and don't feel any shame about playing on Easy. Normal is HARD.

I don't even want to think about actual Hard. I assume you have to fight the flagship at the first nav point or something.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Momplestiltskin posted:

Yeah unless you have a clone bay or a blue option, I would typically avoid the giant alien spiders one.

On a completely unrelated note, Google apparently has a shitload of analytics on youtube I had never looked at before. The audience for this LP is 97.5% male. Ladies

Giant alien spiders are no joke!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ion drones do something like 4 ion damage, our Lanius was dead the moment you were droned.

Our guys will be safely cloned, so we can shoot and kill them.

I'd also recommend venting the clone bay. They'll only be in there for a few seconds.
Oh. You did. Also always go homeworlds!

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 15, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

You know, you could've boarded that angry prisoner transport with your Mantises while your Lanius were dead.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I've beaten the game 4 or 5 times and never even SEEN the crystal device until now.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Stealth B because gently caress drones forever

Or Mantis B and Hard.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Kirenski posted:

I had to get the advanced addition to get that ship as well, winning with all A & B variants except Lanius, it so good though.

Also Stealth B since if you reach sector 8 with it, you unlock the Stealth C which you don't have.

That's awesome.

Since I love the Stealth cruiser more than is reasonable, I may take the Stealth cruiser B myself on Normal if it doesn't get done by our host.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Cloaking is REALLY good though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RO being in the Fed Cruiser C. And getting a Zoltan ship up 1st

The fed C is heavily armed. With manpower. 2 Zoltans AND a mantis. you can board tons of ships!

Unless they have super shields. :((

ahaha. THIS GAME. attemtpt number god knows. I get my first weapon. It's loot.

It's a burst laser MK3.

just need 100 scrap to unlock enough power slots for it. Then another 60 to run it.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 19, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Shadowlyger posted:

A) Fire all missiles simultaneously at their drone control, problem solved. It doesn't say the drone has to be ACTIVE the whole time.
B) Hack the room, set it on fire, teleport rock crew in, get achievement.
C) Yeah gently caress this one.

Or for B, it doesn't say the room has to be on their ship. Get a fire bomb, wait till you get boarded, target yourself, boom. Achievement unlocked.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I am shocked and amazed that you left their weapons up for so long. Even when leaving the one guy so it doesn't go AI, knocking out the other weapons in phase 1 is usually my first priority, since no guns = no damage to my precious hull

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I was having a really good run in the Fed Cruiser C. Had 2 guns, 2 boarding Mantis, 3 shields.

Then I met a Lanius ship. Which ioned my Clone bay. RIP Mantis. After that it proceded to tear me to pieces.

All the way to sector 6. Then died. THIS GAME.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Momplestiltskin posted:

Season Two Begins with a MEGA EPISODE. Why is it now season 2? Why not?

Season Two, Episode One: "Drunken Stealth Mastery" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF8Y6SCmQOI

Oh god. Drinking challenges with the stealth ship. You madman!

This is going to be beautiful and glorious.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

After watching the whole video, I approve of this run. It's everything I hoped it would be and more :allears:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Ion Charger only does 1 Ion damage, off memory, the Ion Blaster 2 does more than 1. Or is it just that it fires faster than it takes to wear off, so it is amazing at attritioning shields.
Also, costing all that power that he just can't afford to dump into weapons yet. Needing more engines + shields + reactor.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

You're through the worst parts of the stealth ship run, so you should be fine without drinking challenges. Since, live or die, you've shown off the Stealth B pretty well.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think my favorite bit is how the only airlock is in the cockpit.

I do want to see the "4 pips in weapons, 1 in engines, 1 in piloting, 5 in reactors, 1 Lanius crewmember, 2 Vulcans, and nothing else" ship.

EDIT: alternately, a human instead of Lanius, and a medbayclonebay but no O2.

I made it better for you.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Protip - if you'd put 2 Zoltans in your shields, their Ion weapons can't actually bring your shields down on their own.

Edit: Venting medbay and not powering it! A pro skill run.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

berryjon posted:

So, I have discovered that Teleporters + Glaive Beam = Multiple dead Boarders when the enemy ships blows up after dealing 6-9 damage to it.

:sigh:

Clone bays are your friends. Who cares if it's 2 squares.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

HoneyBoy posted:

I lost dual Mantis boarders because I didn't think the ship would be able to jump away while I was tearing their pilot's guts out.

Losing boarders to the enemy Jumping is the worst.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Mantis C

On Hard.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Mantis B going great. Who would've thought.

It's situations like this where Engi nano-bots are amazing. Don't even have to send your boarders to the med bay then.

Edit: or Reconstructive teleport. They are both great. Advanced edition added some nice new options.

Double Edit: Rock men can safely smoke in space, we're immune to fire.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 13, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Space Jesus Forgives everything; Racism Isn't Funny, But Fake Space Racism Is;

And, to make it REALLY fun(tm)

Let's Take a Chance and Roll the Bones

Racist Space Jesus is subject to the force of the free market.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jesus and Judas teach the crew the error of their ways. And they have a nap.

Edit: you should probably upgrade the artillery beam

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Well, you do have artillery 2. And drat. I have never had the virus event go like that. That was a glorious rebirth of Saul/Paul.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Slug B is all bad.

Sounds like we have our next ship!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Praise Jesus and his newest prophet.

Also, Mohamad apparently changed the font.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Cripes, if you hadn't run into that crystal pod so late you could have had nearly all the super NPCs join you at once. All you needed was what was in the crystal pod and maybe the Translator? I forget if he counts as one. And I forget if you got Virus as well or if that was in a previous playthrough.

Also, I hope you're happy. Your videos got me to finally install this after I got it as a part of some bundle or another. It had been sitting in my steam library for months since I thought it was some 4X game. A few days ago I was living life like normal. Now I'm rolling through the galaxy in the Mantis B ship sending out boarding parties that have serrated claws for arms.

Saul/Paul is a Virus.

So much flak.
So much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Eyep. Welcome to RNG Bullshit 101. You need to get the stasis pod, then find a Zoltan or Engi sector (which isn't too RNG-y since they're something like 25% of all sectors!), get the crewmember event in that sector, then stumble across the Rock Homeworlds and get the portal in that sector.

By far the best way to get the Crystal Cruiser is to just unlock the Rock C, which starts with a Crystal crewmember. Then you just need to get the Rock Homeworlds and find the beacon. Which is nominally a bit trickier since with this method you don't get a quest marker on your map for it, but gently caress it, that's what savescumming is for.

That's still way more likely than getting all 3. Since first you have to succeed the roll to get the stasis pod to show up before, lets say, sector 5. Then you have to get an engi/zoltan sector and get the zoltan scanner crew event.
THEN you have to find the rock homeworlds. All on one run. It is absurdly low odds.

• Locked thread