Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Voting for Rock A or Slug B, on whatever difficulty you can manage with those. I've never managed to get those to work so I'd like to see how someone else handles them.

Also, sign me up for space navy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I want to see how useful a maxed out hacking drone is to accomplish that. It's an (almost. if not shot down at first) guaranteed disable for 10 seconds at a time. And even if you don't use it directly on a weapon room, using it on the shields as you fire a barrage would be a great way to take a weapon down, maybe permanently.

I just realized it, but missiles in the hands of the AI is rather overpowered, especially that 3 missile launcher. They effectively get unlimited missiles, so they can fire as many as they want, but we can't since we're limited to whatever we've managed to pick up/buy along the way. That said, if someone were to stockpile missiles and hold onto a decent missile launcher but not use any until the boss fight, it would be a pretty neat way to (maybe) trivialize the boss.

Tried it once or twice with a pretty big stockpile, it's not that great. The boss has far more evasion than a huge lumbering thing like that should have, and missiles don't reload all that quickly. And of course, it's practically impossible to slip one past the drone in phase two. Boarding trivializes the fight much faster.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It would be pretty neat if you had to manage the morale of your crew as you jumped, so you had to try not to let too many sad things happen or your crew would be depressed and not work as well.

And by neat I mean terrible, please don't actually do this FTL devs.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It just occurred to me that if you had a Swarm missile, Pike Beam, Burst Laser II and Ion Charger, you've pretty much got a mini-flagship. Of course, I doubt those weapons would actually be all that effective when used in conjunction, especially with how much power it would take to run those.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Hooray, I'm an oxygen-sucking monster.

Picking up Lanius crewmembers is one of the main reasons why I like saving my scrap when I find an abandoned sector. Even if you don't plan on boarding, they're always useful for fighting off boarders and fixing breaches and such.

Also I must admit I never did think to hack their clonebay the exact moment their crew die, I always just tried to shoot it down and then toss crewmembers at them before they fix it.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Personally I prefer the clone bay just because I don't have to do quite so much micromanaging of my crew, and can keep tossing crew at enemy ships over and over. A more skilled player could probably make more use of the medbay than the clone bay, but I personally never pass up the clone bay if I get the chance. Never having to worry about tedious medbay shuffling and losing important crew is just too much of a bonus for me to pass up.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

cokerpilot posted:

I am sad that you did not bribe the rebel station to let civilians go as you probably still would have gotten to fight the rebel ship.

Really? In my experience, most of the time they just look the other way and take the scrap, and most of the time I recoup the scrap. If not, it's a pittance in scrap anyway.

Also re: the cloning bay, the backup DNA bank is useful, but not mandatory, and you can also just teleport your guys back/run them around a little if you need to fix up your clonebay. Basically I find having the clonebay mitigates most of the most common ways to lose your crewmembers: accidentally firing/breaking a system on a boarded ship, forgetting about the cloak on an autodrone, random events, etc. If you're skilled enough that those aren't a problem, and you're more likely to lose crew from the clonebay getting damaged/ioned, I can see how you might get more use out of the medbay.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
You can only teleport crew from your ship to the enemy ship if the enemy ship is still a threat - i.e. if there's still enemy crew alive, or anytime an AI ship is still active. Once the fight is over, you can only teleport crew still on their ship back, and can't beam people there anymore. Teleporting mind-controlled enemies to your ship is the only exception, I think.

If you're particularly desperate you could tie up the last remaining crewmember in combat, then teleport crew that need healing back and forth. Not very practical or useful in most cases, but I did manage to heal a gold-ranked Lanius pilot with this strategy once.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Tearing apart Rockmen with giant metal mandibles! I'm helping!

Don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but since the method of unlocking the Crystal ship was mentioned in the video I'll point out that unlocking it in Advanced Edition is far easier. Even if you don't go down the alternate unlock path and beat the flagship with A and B variants of every other ship, the Rock C starts with a Crystalman and a cloning bay, so you can skip the first two steps of the Crystal quest to get a Crystalman and just search for the crystal device in the Rock Homeworlds. Unlocking the Crystal ship now has roughly the same odds as any of the other random ship unlock quests in the game. Of course, to get the Rock C you first have to complete two of the achievements with the Rock A (hard) and get to Sector 8 with the Rock B (fairly easy). It helps that the Rock C is fairly powerful, it's probably my favourite ship.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Since I've been talking it up I'll vote for the Rock C, which incidentally I don't think you give a fair shake in the OP. The weapons aren't all that terrible - the shield-piercing weapon deals with everything in the first couple of sectors handily, and the Swarm missile saves on missiles and remains a decent weapon right up to the endgame. It's got pretty much all the strengths of the Rock ships with none of the drawbacks. It also has a pretty interesting layout.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
With mind control and teleport, you only actually need to board twice: once to take out the missiles and another to take out the ions. Maybe a third time to take out the beam weapon. Then once they can't hurt you, you can just use the mind control enemy - teleport them to your ship - beat them up combo to pick off enemies in the main section one by one without ever having to step foot into the main section even once.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
That was a pity, it seemed like you could have made it with that loadout. For phase one I usually try to upgrade my oxygen to level 2 at least, or counterhack it if O2 is hacked. I think your best bet would actually have just been to send everyone in your ship in two-man teams to each of the weapon rooms except the triple laser, and have them chill out there once they've wrecked those weapons. Then even if you didn't want to use the mind-control abduction strategy, the Lanius could still pick apart the main crew with the hacked medbay and no way to hurt you. It's pretty incredible you only lost one crewmember during that, and that was to teleporting him to the wrong room. And of course, in phase two, since you couldn't really avoid the AI ship, it would probably have been better to disable the weapons and drones first and foremost. Nothing much you could have done for that phase three, though.

Also, one of my first runs had the flagship hacking my O2. Since I had the clonebay and managed to take out their weapons in time, it ended up an incredible meat grinder of a fight where everyone on my ship was trapped in an endless cycle of death and resurrection. Still won in the end, though, even with the boarders in phase three - vented my entire ship, and the cloning bay resurrected them faster than they could kill them off.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If you have Mind Control and boarding, you can completely trivialize fighting the main crew by mind-controlling them one by one, teleporting them to your ship and beating them up once it wears off. I'm surprised we didn't see it in this episode, actually.

Other than that, yeah it's mostly dead weight in phase 2, and useful mostly for countering the flagship's mind control in phase three.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
There's a last-ditch tactic for that situation: kill off the entire crew, trigger the AI. The AI will start repairing systems, and you can promptly break them again for a point of damage. I've won a couple of Mantis runs this way when completely out of anything that could damage the flagship.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not sure if the worst design award goes to the ship(s) with no shield, the ship armed only with a rock catapult and designed to be staffed by suicidal crew, or the boarding-based ship with no medbay.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Corbeau posted:

I said the worst layout. There are much worse overall designs. Like almost any Stealth cruiser.

But man, you have to vent a lot of critical systems if one gets crispy. Just look at that bottom pod:

For the sake of comparison, look at the Rock C.

I've managed to run angry 4 Mantis boarding crews for several laps around that ship, without them ever coming into contact with my crew. Pretty much every major system is easily ventable. Getting your doors hacked is kind of a bitch though.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Jumping on the Mantis B bandwagon, it'll be a nice change from the slog that the Stealth B was. Unless you run into non-stop autodrones in sector one, but that's FTL for you.

Someday I will get three more Lanius on the Mantis C. A four-man Lanius boarding squad would be a wonder to behold.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

psluuthor posted:

Is there even any way to get more than 17? I don't think there is unless it's possible to get two sets of dual lasers, but I've never gotten those except as starting weapons.

Flak II, Flak II and Flak I/Burst Laser II on the Fed Cruiser C.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Space Racist Zoltan Jesus

A clone bay helps against boarders, with Zoltans. Suicide Zoltan bombs is the best boarding/anti-boarding strategy.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I once had an Ion Intruder, Boarding Drone and a Fire Beam on one of my ships. The combination was prohibitively expensive and hardly ever worked out, but it was a thing of beauty when it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Rather surprised you didn't pick up the Backup DNA bank right at the start. Maybe it's just me, but I always go out of my way to pick it up if I have a clone bay, and if I start with a medbay and get one I'll strongly consider switching. Being near impervious to losing crewmembers is just too valuable.

E: Also if you upgrade weapons one more time you could probably make good use of the fire beam on the Flagship, if you haven't sold it yet.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 21, 2014

• Locked thread