Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

Nice work.

Last year at Cochon 555 in Philadelphia, we bought the pig head at the end of the night too. They wanted $120 for it at first, but as the crowds thinned and they still didn't have anyone else biting, we got it for a steal at $35. We went with headcheese tacos and they were fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I love pork and have no problem with the idea of animal butchery, and this still looks really weird to me. Finished product looks great though!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Bubbacub posted:

I love pork and have no problem with the idea of animal butchery, and this still looks really weird to me. Finished product looks great though!

Yeah, butchery is not for the faint of stomach. I once bought two rabbits, skinned and gutted but otherwise whole. Jointed them, removed the meat, made a delicious pot pie and stock from the bones and then... turned vegetarian for a year. I wasn't up to it. I'm back to eating meat now, but I still prefer veggie dishes when available.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Serendipitaet posted:

You could've googled this yourself but head cheese refers to meat from an animal's less desirable parts e.g. head, feet etc set in aspic, like this:

It's tasty and not really gross by any standard..

in Australia/UK it's called brawn. My butcher makes the most phenomenal brawn, minimal use of aspic (i can't stand aspic) and it's super meaty and nicely sweet. Their chilli brawn is something else. Sourdough bread, big thick slice of that and some kewpie mayo is my go to lunch. sometimes with some sriracha sauce for good measure.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Dr. Pangloss posted:

You guys are amazing...

Quick question: what's the closest food to head cheese ? Pate? Trying to imagine what the taste and texture approximates.

Rillettes, maybe?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

Yeah, butchery is not for the faint of stomach. I once bought two rabbits, skinned and gutted but otherwise whole. Jointed them, removed the meat, made a delicious pot pie and stock from the bones and then... turned vegetarian for a year. I wasn't up to it. I'm back to eating meat now, but I still prefer veggie dishes when available.
I normally buy whole chickens and break them down myself, but I am not sure how I would feel about doing it with a rabbit. I also could not do anything with a skull.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

adorai posted:

I normally buy whole chickens and break them down myself, but I am not sure how I would feel about doing it with a rabbit. I also could not do anything with a skull.

The chickens here come with the head and feet still attached, and it somehow seems worse.

aa35199
Sep 1, 2014
After lurking for so long this post turned out to be the last straw that broke the camels back and made me finally open an SA account, it was you, and your glorious pigs head!

aa35199 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is awesome. You are awesome, and you deserve that amazing avatar.

• Locked thread