Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Will you be attempting to show off the multiplayer at all? I remember it was already near barren when I tried it a couple years ago. If you need people to fill a couple matches I'd gladly volunteer.

Also love how much I'm learning with this LP. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Catsworth posted:

Will you be attempting to show off the multiplayer at all? I remember it was already near barren when I tried it a couple years ago. If you need people to fill a couple matches I'd gladly volunteer.

Also love how much I'm learning with this LP. :haw:

I own Singularity and didn't know it had multiplayer. Does it even still work?

edit: Apparently not without 6 people. Which is a shame because it sounds kind of interesting.

Male Man fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 12, 2014

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I believe so, only problem is that nobody plays. The game sold so poorly when first released that there was only ever a couple of games running at a time. A shame as it's really quite good.

They only had time to create a very small selection of maps, so it's no surprise that people would get bored of it after a while, but the gameplay on those few maps is excellent.

NOTE: no discussions on how the multiplayer works for the time being, as it would inadvertently spoil things about enemies and weapons in the singleplayer.

I'm going to try sitting in "quick game" lobby in the PC version of the game for a while and see if anyone joins. If someone here happens to read this and do the same within the next half hour, you might find me!

(Note: I'm playing the Steam version, which is automatically patched to version 1.01 - if you have the disc version and you never downloaded the patch, you'll need it to be compatible.)

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

So I saw Male Man there... wasn't able to communicate as I forgot to plug my microphone in, and there's no text chat. Was able to add him as a friend using Singularity's own internal friends system. Wasn't able to add to my Steam friends as I'm not sure which Male Man or MaleMan.

(I don't think that Singularity's own internal friends system supports spaces in names, so if you have a steam name with spaces it will get turned into the equivalent without spaces.)

I'm known as "your evil twin" on Steam as well, my steam profile is http://steamcommunity.com/id/youreviltwin/

So yeah, any goons that fancy participating in some multiplayer (and ending up as part of a video!), add me to your friends and we'll see if we can arrange something at some point.

If you play a Public game it requires a minimum of 6 people. Can also do a Private game that can have any number of people, but a 2 player game isn't worth playing. 4 players can just about work but isn't that much fun. 6 players is the ideal minimum, so it makes sense that they chose the figure as being the minimum to start a Public game.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 12, 2014

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
With a little luck, there may a steam spring sale next week. That may increase the chance of goons getting this game.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I played this game a year or two ago, and I found it really entertaining. I'm gonna reinstall it just to help out with Multiplayer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

anilEhilated posted:

The idea is neat, the execution kinda fails. RPG elements are next to nonexistant, it fails to explain even the most basic game mechanics and achieving anything takes forever. Basically only get it if you're a fan of Total Annihilation and think its pacing works on a squad-size scale.

It's also hilariously creative and full of fun time shenanigans, and most importantly, it's an RTS where you cannot rebuild human units. If you lose a soldier, they're lost forever. It's one of the only RTSes I've played where retreats and raids are actually important to the strategy. Hitting and running and killing a few of their precious people is a serious blow to your enemy, often. It's a wonky as hell game, but if you enjoy time shenanigans and Russians and can look past some rough edges, I love it.

Plus, it's a game about sending Marines back in time to mine the catalyst for cold fusion and move it from Siberia to Alaska so that 2 million years later the US will get it instead of Russia. I mean come on that is hilariously insane.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Lynneth posted:

I played this game a year or two ago, and I found it really entertaining. I'm gonna reinstall it just to help out with Multiplayer.

Did the same.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

It's also hilariously creative and full of fun time shenanigans, and most importantly, it's an RTS where you cannot rebuild human units. If you lose a soldier, they're lost forever. It's one of the only RTSes I've played where retreats and raids are actually important to the strategy. Hitting and running and killing a few of their precious people is a serious blow to your enemy, often. It's a wonky as hell game, but if you enjoy time shenanigans and Russians and can look past some rough edges, I love it.

Plus, it's a game about sending Marines back in time to mine the catalyst for cold fusion and move it from Siberia to Alaska so that 2 million years later the US will get it instead of Russia. I mean come on that is hilariously insane.

Oh, I actually like it, though in retrospect the post doesn't really seem that way. My biggest gripe with it is that while the mechanics are solid, the campaigns are plodding and chock full of dick moves that can cause you to lose a mission without even realizing what you did wrong. It also doesn't have a campaign for the best faction.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I was one of the few people who picked this game up when it first came out. I jumped in on the hardestbdifficulty, because I'm an idiot, and proceeded to trip and stumble my way through the game with constant low health and ammo. But goddamn did I have a good time.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
I'll join on for some multiplayer. I have the game on 360, my XBL tag is:Sgt Bodz5150. Send me a message, I'll hop on if I'm available.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

I'm only able to record footage of PC games... that said, I'm such a nerd that I also own Singularity on xbox 360 and PS3 so may play with you anyway just for fun.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I'm not sure "nerd" is the term I would use. I'm beginning to suspect you're trying to exceed the Chandrasekhar limit on time travel games, and not using the most competitive methods at that.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

your evil twin posted:

I'm only able to record footage of PC games... that said, I'm such a nerd that I also own Singularity on xbox 360 and PS3 so may play with you anyway just for fun.

I'm down for that. My multiplayer ineptitude doesn't need to be recorded for others to see. PM me if you want to work out a time to play, I'm on MST (UTC-6).
Let's get some more 360 goons together!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Crikey, I wish I either

A] Had a 360 and a copy, or
B] A legit copy for PC....

The honor of being in a YET LP would let me die a happy man.

Emprah
Feb 1, 2014
I quite enjoyed this video, not to mention that little science lesson, keep it up good sir.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I find a tremendous amount of irony in people accusing Singularity of being unoriginal, considering the usual games Activision publishes. :v:

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

1stGear posted:

I find a tremendous amount of irony in people accusing Singularity of being unoriginal, considering the usual games Activision publishes. :v:

It couldn't be turned into an annual franchise so Activision wasn't on board with supporting it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Where did you get the music in the Black Hole segment? Is it from the Singularity OST?

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Yeah, it's music from the OST. (Well, except for the period music I used during the black-and-white clips of scientists and astronomers.)

There's never been an official paid-for Singularity OST, but one was released for free online shortly after the game came out. Never been sure if it was released by one of the guys that actually did the music, or if a fan made it by extracting the files from the game.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

This looks really interesting. It just goes to show how important release date marketing is - all sorts of gems can slip through the cracks. Thanks for doing a Let's Play! Special super thanks for subtitling it yourself - no way to express how much I appreciate that.

That hand holding the sickle is reminiscent of the Statue of Liberty. I guess you could call it the Statue of Oppression, though I have no idea what the hand is connected to if anything.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dreggon posted:

That hand holding the sickle is reminiscent of the Statue of Liberty. I guess you could call it the Statue of Oppression, though I have no idea what the hand is connected to if anything.

No, no, no.

It's "The Statue of the Worker's Glorious Liberation From The Capitalist Oppressors."

I swear, sometimes it's almost like you don't even believe in the communist revolution, comrade.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dreggon posted:

I think it's supposed to be this thing.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I prefer my name. :colbert:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Was not expecting Science Time with Your Evil Twin.

I love that computer model, it might be the best way I've ever seen to explain the concept of "space-time", even if it is somewhat inaccurate. (Spacetime is less like a bunch of marbles suspended on an indestructible sheet stretched over nothing and more like marbles floating in a suspended fluid, and the marbles emit an electromagnetic field that interacts with and distorts space-time more or less depending on the density of the marble, and now I've lost easily half of you and this is why that model is a way better example even with it's inherent flaws.)

As to why black holes theoretically effect time, here's why: Theoretically speaking, let's say we are standing on the bridge of a space ship specifically engineered to withstand the stresses of traveling through the event horizon of a black hole. The plan is to enter the black hole, and pass as close as we can to the singularity itself without being torn to shreds in a slingshot manuever that will give us enough velocity to escape the event horizon. The trip is expected to take 30 minutes (I wish at this moment to express that this number, and all following ones, are pulled out of my rear end, as this is a very simplified example). The manuever is completed, we experience the 30 minutes of transit, and we exit the event horizon- 3,000 years after we enter.

This is because spacetime is being pulled, twisted, and elongated, but light, the universal constant, still travels across that distance at the same speed. Einsteins Theory of Relativity tells us that we will always experience light, and thereby the universe, and time itself, at the same rate. But because 30 minutes of space-time is being stretched all out of proportion, it takes us far longer in "real time" to cover the same distance, yet we experience that time at the rate that is normal for us. An outside observer would see our ship hit the event horizon, and then we would appear to gradually slow down, moving slower and slower the closer we get to the singularity, until we appeared to come to a stop.

Well, actually, an outside observer wouldn't be able to see poo poo because light can't escape the event horizon, so they wouldn't be able to see us at all once we entered the black hole, and it also fails because it assumes we would be able to escape the event horizon, which you can't because you'd need to move faster than light in order to do so, and nothing (yet discovered) can.

So that explains how you could, theoretically, if you could resolve the incredibly difficult issues of surviving while in the black hole and moving faster than light in order to escape again, travel a significant amount of time forward while only experiencing a small portion of it. If there was a way of compressing space time into a much smaller space (for example, a corridor of space-time between the earth and the moon, compressed into the space of a door frame), an outside observer would see you cover that distance in a fraction of the time it would normally take you to travel that distance, at the speed you cross the threshold. Unfortunately for our poor traveler, they would experience that trip at the same rate it would normally take them to travel that distance, at the speed they crossed the threshold. This is the principle upon which a wormhole would, scientifically speaking, work.

As for travelling backwards? That would require a singularity to make space-time move backwards, which is not something science has observed. Yet. And none of these have a practical use until we figure out how to move faster than light.

tl:dr- Something about four balls on the edge of a cliff?

And this game seems neat, I guess? It really does feel like they've taken the best parts of several titles from the last few years and put them together in a way that doesn't seem terrible, so I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Please let there be more Science Time in the works.

Final Thought: If what we know as reality has been expanding outward indefinitely since the Big Bang, and space-time is a quantifiable thing that there is a set maximum amount of, then that means space-time is already being stretched, and time has actually been (relatavistically speaking) slowing down since the dawn of time, and if there was an observer of some sort outside of what we understand as reality, and they experience the passage of time in a way similar to us, then events at the beginning of the universe would have appeared to have happened relatively quickly, with events and motion slowing down the larger our reality becomes. Yet we are incapable of noticing the slowdown.

I'm tempted to :nms: this post now.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 13, 2014

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

RickVoid posted:

I love that computer model, it might be the best way I've ever seen to explain the concept of "space-time", even if it is somewhat inaccurate. (Spacetime is less like a bunch of marbles suspended on an indestructible sheet stretched over nothing and more like marbles floating in a suspended fluid, and the marbles emit an electromagnetic field that interacts with and distorts space-time more or less depending on the density of the marble, and now I've lost easily half of you and this is why that model is a way better example even with it's inherent flaws.)

Haha yeah, this is exactly why the model is scaled down one dimension for the example, its hard to conceptualize a 4th spacial dimension.

As for the relative time slowing down bit, you don't even need to go close to the singularity or past the event horizon to get a measurable difference. Anything causes time nearby to seem slower relative to an outside observer, even down to objects near you or atoms themselves. The magnitude is proportional to the mass, so for the most part the effect objects have on each other its unmeasurable and negligible. What isn't negligible is the affect the mass of the earth has on relative time speeds. Satellites move through time at a tiny fraction of a percent faster than we do on the surface. Its not much, but if we didn't specifically correct for it, things like GPS would be off by meters in just a day. You could safely slingshot around a black hole and end up years ahead of an outside observer with just the technology we have now.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 13, 2014

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Actually, that gets me wondering; if time is unilateral - i.e. it goes past-present-future, and no phenomenon has been seen which reverses that order... what would the equivalent 'movement' through space be that is comparable with going back in time? seeing as space and time are apparently the one and the same thing. Or would it just be going back in time?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Samovar posted:

seeing as space and time are apparently the one and the same thing.

Well, they're more like dimensions existing in the same framework. Time is another axis to the X,Y,Z of Space. Going back in time should just be the equivalent of moving backwards along any other axis instead of forwards - we just can't do it. As for why I don't know, but I've always like the sum of all vectors explanation:
We're all moving at lightspeed, all the time if you sum up all our speeds in every dimension. Go faster in X,Y or Z you shift speed away from the time axis, which causes the whole lightspeed-time change phenomenon.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I remember reading and thoroughly not understanding an explanation of why time only moves forward. I think it had something to do with the definitions of what is "forward" in time and entropy being used as as part of the definition.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

And Entropy is very, VERY relevant to this game, as you shall all see later. :)

By the way, for anyone whose eyes are glazing over at all this science talk... the complexities of black hole physics aren't really necessary to understand this game. The game never even tries to explain what a Singularity is, other than a powerful thing that messes with time and space. It's just useful to know that it's actually a 'real' thing.

RickVoid posted:

As for travelling backwards? That would require a singularity to make space-time move backwards, which is not something science has observed. Yet. And none of these have a practical use until we figure out how to move faster than light.

I definately recall reading that if you were trapped inside a black hole but able to fly around a Singularity (without hitting it) you would go back in time; I think it was in Kip Thorne's "Black Holes and Time Warps". Had an example and illustration of an astronaut meeting several different versions of himself within the black hole, with each one saying how many times he had been around the Singularity.

I think it would need to be a rotating Kerr black hole which has both an outer and an inner event horizon.

(In the case of a rapidly-spinning black hole there is a sort of centrifugal force effect that can slightly cancel out the gravity, creating an inner region near that black hole where there is some freedom of movement. So you are still trapped within the event horizon of the black hole, but rather than inevitably crashing into the singularity there is an area near the middle where you can fly around a bit.)

Samovar posted:

what would the equivalent 'movement' through space be that is comparable with going back in time? seeing as space and time are apparently the one and the same thing. Or would it just be going back in time?

As far as we are aware, time is one dimension, and so has just two directions, forwards and backwards. Though in an old 70s Doctor Who he accidentally went 'sideways in time' and ended up in a parallel universe.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 13, 2014

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

This is all well and good, but can we explain the real scientific conundrum here, which is how we saw multiple seconds of Brian Blessed and not once did he explode in to booming laughter and/or bellows.

Could it be that as Brian Blessed nears an event horizon, the speed of Boom is no longer powerful enough to escape it's gravity? Could 3000 years in the future there be a very startled astronaut who happens to be nearby when the Boom tears free of the black hole again?

edit for scientific evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ_fXybPq1Q

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 13, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The closer you are to the event horizon of BRIAN BLESSED, the more likely you are to be eaten along with the scenery.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Xenoborg posted:

I remember reading and thoroughly not understanding an explanation of why time only moves forward. I think it had something to do with the definitions of what is "forward" in time and entropy being used as as part of the definition.

IIRC, I think this would be a bit like the Galilean Referential (which is defined by being itself in a nice and pretty circular definition) in that the direction of time is defined the direction in which entropy increases and we can't reverse that without expending effort and creating even more entropy so it must always move in the way entropy increases.

I also have a question: if entropy decreases, is the human brain even capable of dealing with it regarding its own chemical processes?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The closer you are to the event horizon of BRIAN BLESSED, the more likely you are to be eaten along with the scenery.

According to The Great Man himself, he's actually a very quiet and reserved person in private. He likes to sit and meditate for hours, while gazing at beautiful landscapes.

Then again, he once punched a polar bear right in the face and he "will shag anything that moves", so take the above with a large and boisterous grain of salt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWSnxzoVfoY&t=30s

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 13, 2014

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

your evil twin posted:

And Entropy is very, VERY relevant to this game, as you shall all see later. :)

By the way, for anyone whose eyes are glazing over at all this science talk... the complexities of black hole physics aren't really necessary to understand this game. The game never even tries to explain what a Singularity is, other than a powerful thing that messes with time and space. It's just useful to know that it's actually a 'real' thing.

I definately recall reading that if you were trapped inside a black hole but able to fly around a Singularity (without hitting it) you would go back in time; I think it was in Kip Thorne's "Black Holes and Time Warps". Had an example and illustration of an astronaut meeting several different versions of himself within the black hole, with each one saying how many times he had been around the Singularity.

I think it would need to be a rotating Kerr black hole which has both an outer and an inner event horizon.

(In the case of a rapidly-spinning black hole there is a sort of centrifugal force effect that can slightly cancel out the gravity, creating an inner region near that black hole where there is some freedom of movement. So you are still trapped within the event horizon of the black hole, but rather than inevitably crashing into the singularity there is an area near the middle where you can fly around a bit.)

As far as we are aware, time is one dimension, and so has just two directions, forwards and backwards. Though in an old 70s Doctor Who he accidentally went 'sideways in time' and ended up in a parallel universe.

What are your qualifications, by the way? (As a matter of pure curiosity.) I'm half-expecting something completely unrelated to physics, just like Geop is quite far from history by profession, but I still associate him with that discipline because of his Assassin's Creeds... Or maybe now he's a rock guy, but this revelation was quite startling to me.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

supermikhail posted:

What are your qualifications, by the way? (As a matter of pure curiosity.) I'm half-expecting something completely unrelated to physics, just like Geop is quite far from history by profession, but I still associate him with that discipline because of his Assassin's Creeds... Or maybe now he's a rock guy, but this revelation was quite startling to me.

Time-travelling Ghostbuster from an evil mirror universe. (I guess that makes me a Peoplebuster.)

I have no relevant qualifications. I have a degree in English Literature, for the dumb reason that English was my best subject in school.

My interest in science is mainly due to being a science fiction fan, thanks to growing up watching stuff like Star Trek The Next Generation. When I was a little kid I used to use the school library and borrow books on science and space meant for much older kids. My particular favourites were stuff to do with black holes, wormholes etc, as well as things to do with time travel.

I was good at science in school... until it turned into loads of maths equations and became about boring stuff like springs and pulleys. Screw that, I want quantum mechanics and exploding stars, not practical knowledge that might be useful in the real world.

Emprah posted:

I quite enjoyed this video, not to mention that little science lesson, keep it up good sir.

RickVoid posted:

Please let there be more Science Time in the works.

Oh yes, there shall be more Science. In fact every video will have an extra little something, though it won't always be Science. Second video has been done, gotta render and upload it so should be up in a day or two.

Dreggon posted:

This looks really interesting. It just goes to show how important release date marketing is - all sorts of gems can slip through the cracks. Thanks for doing a Let's Play! Special super thanks for subtitling it yourself - no way to express how much I appreciate that.

You're welcome!

I'm curious, do you - or anyone else here - have any hearing difficulties?

I've never been diagnosed with anything, but I suspect that I have something similar to my mother. She was once told that there was something about the shape of her ears which meant that while she could hear the volume of things OK, things weren't necessarily as clear as they should be. I often have problems understanding people in group situations like pubs and clubs and so-on, and I often turn the subtitles on when I watch TV as sometimes people don't always speak clearly and I miss the odd thing here or there, and end up having to rewind.

I actually considered doing 'closed caption' style subtitles that would also include some of the sound effects... but then figured that anyone who couldn't hear shrieks, explosions or scary noises would not be able to hear my commentary either, and so would not be watching commentated Let's Plays anyway. (And then I'd end up doing subtitles for my own commentary and that would end up becoming a crazy amount of work for every video.)

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I was one of the few people who picked this game up when it first came out. I jumped in on the hardestbdifficulty, because I'm an idiot, and proceeded to trip and stumble my way through the game with constant low health and ammo. But goddamn did I have a good time.

Hah, that's the way it should be experienced! :black101: Searching a side area and finding a health pack or some ammo in a dumpster is a godsend when you are struggling along half dead with just 3 bullets left in your gun.

That said, I'm not a big fan of "Ranger Mode" in Metro 2033 or Last Light. Everyone's always 'it's the only real way to play!', but it takes that survival-with-limited-resources idea to such an extreme that you MUST play it as a stealth game. It seemed silly that you could search a corpse and both his weapon and spare magazines would each contain just one individual bullet. Of course, that's balanced by it only taking one or two bullets to put down a bad guy, but what's the point in having a badass full-auto Kalashnikov if it only takes a single bullet to take down an enemy, and its usually a better idea to knife them to be sneaky? I felt that the 'ordinary' Hard difficulty got the balance right: stealth is strongly advisable, you need to search the environment for goodies, but when you find something it'll at least give you half a magazine, and you'll occasionally be able to risk having an actual gun battle.

1stGear posted:

Haha, yeah back when the game was released I assumed that it was actually Activision that ordered them to make the game more like Bioshock, because they wouldn't trust a game to do well if it didn't include a bunch of stuff that had already proved successful in other games. As it happens, it seems it was actually Raven themselves that did it. They ran out of time and couldn't waste any more of it trying to get innovative things to work, and so had to patch things up by borrowing tried-and-tested stuff from other games.

Fortunately, they were talented enough to do a really good job of ripping off ideas. I just wish they'd had more time to be innovative.

supermikhail posted:

I'm not sure "nerd" is the term I would use. I'm beginning to suspect you're trying to exceed the Chandrasekhar limit on time travel games, and not using the most competitive methods at that.

Yes, my hope is that once I have enough time travel games they will reach critical mass and implode into an actual time-space portal.

Can you suggest some more competitive methods?

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 14, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Waaait, how did you get subtitles? I looked through the game's options and didn't find any.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

There aren't any. I did them all myself.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Wow, that's dedication.

I might actually just watch the videos instead of playing myself, because i hate games without subtitle options.
Also, i obviously should have listened for like 30 seconds longer, because you mention that in the video.

/edit: I swear, you can hear the Stargate noise in the first (proper) video at 11:38. You know the one, the WHOOSH.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Heh, I know what you mean. I think that's a stock sound effect for gas igniting, heard it in lots of things... that are... fiery. Especially when there's supposed to be a 'backdraft' and a corridor suddenly bursts into flame. (But that doesn't mean they didn't use an altered version of that sound for for Stargate!)

I remember getting weirded out when I heard the charging-up sound for the Chronosphere in C&C Red Alert being used for an ordinary generator starting up in some TV show or movie. In fact I suspect it really IS the sound of a generator being started up, but for me it'll always be the Chronosphere...

• Locked thread