Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Is homoerotic subtext really something that puts people off watching these shows? Ookiku Furikabutte is one of my top 5 favorite sports anime, so it would be a shame if people were dissuaded from watching it just because it's super gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Eeevil posted:

Is homoerotic subtext really something that puts people off watching these shows? Ookiku Furikabutte is one of my top 5 favorite sports anime, so it would be a shame if people were dissuaded from watching it just because it's super gay.

I know people who don't like it. Specifically two of my friends who refuse to watch sports anime based on the sports they themselves played in highschool. Personally, I think it's amusing and it doesn't bother me.

Also, season 2 and the end of season 1 does a lot for the whole 'only one rival on the enemy team everyone else is a blob with no personality' thing. They start introducing 2-3 rivals for the non-main characters on every team, who get personality and actual focus (and funny scenes outside of matches).

The pacing remains kinda bad. Matches continue to last multiple episodes. The final buzzer beater continues to take five minutes while everyone reacts to the three second travel time.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, it feels like Basketball.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kuroko's Basketball is actually an adaptation of Scott Pilgrim, except this time Kagami has to defeat Kuroko's evil ex-teammates for a shot at his heart.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
If you're itching for basketball in particular, Slam Dunk is the right choice every time.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Eeevil posted:

It varies person to person, some people don't even notice it, while for others the homo subtext is so intense that you think the author is making a mental assault against you personally and you become inspired to become an insane violent stalker in real life and people have to stop selling the manga in physical stores, like what happened with Kuroko. (at least for a while, hopefully they caught that guy by now)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Personally I'd rather see more gay than less gay but that's what doujinshi are for.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Everything Burrito posted:

Personally I'd rather see more gay than less gay but that's what doujinshi are for.

I can honestly say the only "sports" anime I watched that I thought MIGHT be a little gay was a majohng show where the girls all seemed be incredibly flirty with each other (a bit more then the general friendliness I assoicate with sports). I haven't watched Free yet though and the PV does seem a little gay, but that might be selective editing.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the loli basketball show i dreamed about wouldnt be gay at all if it were made into a real anime show

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

the loli basketball show i dreamed about wouldnt be gay at all if it were made into a real anime show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozVbERflYxU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

is kuroko no basket the basketball show with all the lolis or did i just dream there was a loli basketball show? i would google "loli basketball show" but i am at work

i remembered the name of the loli basketball show it is Ro Kyu Bu. mystery solved gang. good work to all parties involved. :mrgw:

----------------

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
In terms of gay subtext, Yowamushi and Free! have it a lot more than Haikyuu, I think.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I came into this thread about to ask if anyone else categorized sports animes based on their burning shonen spirit and homo gay quotients and was pleased to see it right there in the OP.

yowamushi comes out 10/10 on the first and transcends conventional measurements for the second

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 28, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Crunchyroll Haikyuu!! subs are #1 thanks you Crunchyroll. i like how they decided to change the translation on them saying "nice kill" to "nice key" that makes perfect sense??

i also liked all the close-up shots of Oikawa drinking from the water bottle

----------------

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eeevil posted:

I think you kinda have to be down with at least a little gay subtext unless the only sports shows you watch are based on Mitsuru Adachi manga.

In general my experience is that most people are more "ew, sports" than "ew, yaoi bait" when it comes to their reasons for not liking sports anime.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

----------------

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

oikawa is my favorite haikuu

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

I love Haikyuu. It just has a lot of personality.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Strong Mouse posted:

I love Haikyuu. It just has a lot of personality.

Those animators are struggling full time against that Crunchyroll translation just to manage to get the show's personality to shine through. My god man, whenever they start talking about tactics I may as well just completely ignore the subs on the screen, they're super mushy bad reading.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Read a bunch of Baby Steps and it's quality manga: There's a ton about the sport, there's apparently no fanservice - I read it a lot but I didn't see any, how can this be - and the main character is actually a very interesting personality and especially for a manga very well written. He does his notes and thinks stuff thoroughly and he can't stop until he gets it right, but his tenacity is well shown when he doesn't understand the antagonist character and just keeps on asking and asking why did he got mad and tries to figure out how to find it out, even for risk of beatdown, when he is supposed to be an initially timid character.

Too bad I don't care about ball games, I just can't find them interesting.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Hahaha.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, I'm hoping ViggyNash comes back with some more write ups. I really enjoyed those.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

LorneReams posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping ViggyNash comes back with some more write ups. I really enjoyed those.

:rip: viggynash

Tenshi Ni Fureta Yo begins to play as i look through his post history tears streaming down my face

goodnight sweet prince

----------------

jsun
Jun 23, 2004

I've brought you some cake and wine
Japanese Baby Steps fans must be going crazy right now. Nishikori made the US Open finals

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That episode of Haikyu was hype as hell.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

That episode of Haikyu was hype as hell.

That, and there was something about the animation. It seemed to use more still-pans than usual, but even then everything seemed more dynamic, somehow.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode of Haikyu is so good! The pay off to "Eat a proper meal!" was amazing.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i cried

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
me irl

Sparda219
Nov 21, 2007

Just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong and priceless?
My heart is so raw right now. Stupid volleyball boys.

Haikyuu's storytelling techniques hit surprisingly hard I can't even bring myself to hate Oikawa and friends for winning, despite our baby crows' tears.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Sparda219 posted:

My heart is so raw right now. Stupid volleyball boys.

Haikyuu's storytelling techniques hit surprisingly hard I can't even bring myself to hate Oikawa and friends for winning, despite our baby crows' tears.

I think it's also great how they demonstrate that he deserved the win, instead of just it having been an accident or stroke of luck. He was able to analyze and read their move in the end, and had worked hard to get where he was. I think he sort of represents the potential that Kageyama could be if he understood people as well as his team better. He's made steps, but Oikawa has much more experience.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I wasn't surprised because the pacing was all wrong to go three sets.

Is there any word on if/when a new season of Ippo begins, or is it like sporadic OAV series?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Baby Steps 25: Here comes the grimdark swerve for next season: "Ei-chan's plane was... shot down over the Sea of Japan. It spun in... there were no survivors."

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So, is Haikyu finished for now?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

goodbye volleyboys :smith:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Shakugan posted:

So, is Haikyu finished for now?

yes

----------------

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Baby Steps: A show not about Tennis, but about the chronicles of Kageyama, Ultimate Wingman.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Emalde posted:

Baby Steps: A show not about Tennis, but about the chronicles of Kageyama, Ultimate Wingman.

Kageyama is the best generic best friend character. I wish I had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
So are all these shows coming back for the spring? It looks like Kuroko and Baby Steps are set for March (?), but what about Haikyu and Ace of Diamond?

• Locked thread