Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

The Devil Tesla posted:

Take a look at Baby Steps, where every court has the same fence and they don't erase space for the faces looking through it. Because it's always the same they can just draw and color it once and then just layer it into every new scene they make. In Haikyu they have to change the net they layer over the faces each time to get the look they want. It's more work, but they have more money and manpower to work with.

The look pays off if you don't think about anime as being a perfect representation of real life. I think the idea is that they're just showing a representation of what it would be like to remember seeing someone's face through a net. You wouldn't remember the net, you'd remember the person's face.

In real life our eyes can focus onto faces behind fences and nets, but you can't recreate that phenomenon as easily in a 2D medium so they do the erasing as a way of letting you see the faces in focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

Is it me or did the animation in Takuma's match in this week's episode of Baby Steps (ep. 17) look different? It seemed a lot more fluid? Dynamic? Maybe it was that it wasn't cutting between mostly still shots of each player but rather showing the whole court, but you could see lots of details like them shifting their balance and footing. It felt like it stood out.

That's because the animation was very likely rotoscoped, or at least that's the way it looked to my eye. The animation for Baby Steps is not normally all that great (isn't it Pierrot who does this one?) so I wouldn't be surprised if they used that technique for more complex motions.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah it's Pierrot and low budget even for them. And I agree about the use of rotoscoping, though it's used really nicely here.

:lol: at Maruo dropping bombs on his parents at dinner.

Rotoscoping is totally valid when used correctly. I didn't find it used badly here, it's just jarring to see so many frames and naturalistic movement suddenly appear in a show that normally does just serviceable animation.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

Sports manga is surprisingly a ton of fun: All-rounder Meguru is probably my favorite manga now and the Yowamushi pedal is fun too. Where else should I look besides the stuff in the OP? I'm a bit picky about the sport in question (gently caress ballgames) and it seems that a lot of the stuff isn't too sport specific, like if it's about swimming it's just fanservice or something.

You should watch Chihayafuru.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

In terms of gay subtext, Yowamushi and Free! have it a lot more than Haikyuu, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Sparda219 posted:

My heart is so raw right now. Stupid volleyball boys.

Haikyuu's storytelling techniques hit surprisingly hard I can't even bring myself to hate Oikawa and friends for winning, despite our baby crows' tears.

I think it's also great how they demonstrate that he deserved the win, instead of just it having been an accident or stroke of luck. He was able to analyze and read their move in the end, and had worked hard to get where he was. I think he sort of represents the potential that Kageyama could be if he understood people as well as his team better. He's made steps, but Oikawa has much more experience.

• Locked thread