Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's from the same season as Yowamushi Pedal so I think it counts!

I've seen about 8 episodes and I liked it. I mainly fell behind because there were plenty of other shows airing that I liked more, but it's something I mean to catch up on some day.

I can't think of many sports anime/manga where the main character is already talented enough to be scouted by one of the top schools, that's for sure. It's an interesting way to go instead of the usual scrappy underdog sort of story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Haikyu is p good. Rather standard sports show all things considered, but it's executed well.

I feel like Ping Pong is miles ahead of all the other sports stuff this season tho. Not a knock on the others, just that Ping Pong has a lot of incredibly talented people working on it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Yowapeda does that same great idea and it's great there too. :3:

One thing I really like about that show is you have the hotblooded guy and the calm, collected guy and...they're rivals with each other, instead of the protagonist. Sure, they yell at each other all the time but they both genuinely like Onoda. It's a neat twist on the usual rival types.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Haha, yeah it definitely comes across as pretty gay. Which I guess means it comes across like 95% of sports anime :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The short post-credits scene in each Yowamushi Pedal episode really go a long way in fleshing out the characters a little bit as well. Especially since it's fun to see the cast goof around when not biking.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

While people give Crunchyroll undeserved flak for a lot of things, Haikyuu definitely veers into word salad on occasion and I wish it didn't!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eeevil posted:

Is homoerotic subtext really something that puts people off watching these shows? Ookiku Furikabutte is one of my top 5 favorite sports anime, so it would be a shame if people were dissuaded from watching it just because it's super gay.

I think you kinda have to be down with at least a little gay subtext unless the only sports shows you watch are based on Mitsuru Adachi manga.

In general my experience is that most people are more "ew, sports" than "ew, yaoi bait" when it comes to their reasons for not liking sports anime.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ace of Diamond is still going on and is going to continue until March 2015.

I don't think they've announced more Haikyu yet but I'm sure a second season is inevitable since it did fairly well. Though since the manga only started in 2012 it's probably best if they take their time before making more.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I am sure nobody is surprised to hear this, but they have finally announced that Haikyu is getting another season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Make individual threads and if people are interested, they will :justpost:

• Locked thread