Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Dahlia Kotilainen - GP: 2 | Defense: 10p / 10m | 4/4/4 | 5/5/5/5

(Focus. Think back.)

Thomas deflected the attack, most impressively. He and the others celebrated their victory. The
Pilgrim continued on its course unmolested. But as they approached the source of the beacon, there was no sign of any outpost, past or present. Then there was an explosion.

(No. Not an explosion. Don't try to rationalize, just recall.)

There was... light. Pure, colorless light. Emanating from ahead of us... somehow. I don't know. It just seemed to be there. I don't know.

(Never mind. Not enough data. Move on.)

The light either enveloped us, or we flew into it, impossible to tell. End result is the same either way: we -- or, at least, I -- was no longer on board the ship. I was no longer anywhere that could even properly be called a "place". I don't understand it, but I was there. There, something, somehow, communicated to me an idea, and somehow, I understood it. The light from before returned in a flash, and when it was gone...

...Dahlia found she could not move. She was encased in something. Some sort of suit? Her arms were stretched out to either side, and her legs spread apart, a position that put her in mind of basic anatomy sketches. The suit, which she decided it must be, fit over every centimeter of her body except for her head, but was rigid and felt somehow bulky; she was not completely immobilized, but whatever this was was clearly not designed for freedom of movement. Furthermore, she felt no fatigue at all from holding herself/being held in this position, suggesting that either she was in a low-gravity environment or the suit was somehow compensating for that. It did not seem to be any sort of a prison, yet she could only just barely move and could not see at all.

Her head and face were covered by a helmet, cushioned at the back and a curved visor in front. She knew this as a definite fact because it was at this moment that the visor activated. The inside of it was a display screen, showing first a series of computer boot-up messages which meant little to her, then settling on a panoramic view of what she could only presume were her surroundings. She was back in space. An asteroid was floating slowly off to one side, a dark-colored mech carrying a beam sword directly in front of her, and beyond it some distance she could see a blue mech with what appeared to be a rifle. In one corner of her vision, the visor was displaying a HUD map: almost a dozen mechs including the ones in front of her identified as foes, and four friendlies behind and beside her. Those could only be the others. Each of them had been taken from the Pilgrim at that time and placed inside their own mechs. Nothing about any of this truly made sense, but that seemed to her the logical conclusion regardless.

She realized she did not have to wonder about the meaning of the HUD symbols. Nor did she wonder anymore where she was, or the purpose of the suit. All that knowledge and more, she found came to her without even having to look for it, as if it were all instinctual. She knew the armaments available to her. She knew the mech's official specifications, but she also knew what it was really capable of doing. She knew that while she could theoretically move her body as much as she wished, to do so would be a waste of energy, that the ideal method was to move as little as possible, simply flex and tense the muscles as if moving and the suit would read and interpret that as movement of the larger mechanical body that she was piloting. She already had the answers to all her immediate questions... save for the purpose of it all.

Unfamiliar voices began chattering in her ear, their words clear. Transmissions from the enemy pilots. Restraining from panic, but greatly confused. Then, another unfamiliar voice cut in over the others, even and obviously digital, an automated message from the operating system:

Entering GMC and REC fueled warp in 3 minutes. Clear away all non-RMUs immediately.

Following shortly afterward, more voices. Familiar voices, this time. Almost speaking on top of one another.
    "Guys, you around? This is some weirdness, but...it almost kinda makes sense. These controls...I know them. Really well. It's freaky."
    "Everyone, this is Thomas. Can you hear me? I can't believe what just happened! I thought we'd see strange things, but this place is beyond my wildest dreams!"
Two, confirmed. Ersan and Yuka would make themselves heard momentarily. Dahlia listened intently as Thomas continued broadcasting, outlining suggested tactics against the enemies that surrounded them. Meanwhile, in a practiced move she had never performed before in her life, she reached one arm of her mech across to the opposite shoulder, taking a hilt out from its place behind some plating. When she held it with both hands in front of her, the device activated, crackling energy coalescing into a long, gold-colored blade. Thomas was finishing his speech; his plan was solid. A response would only be appropriate.

Her heart pounded. Half-forgotten memories suddenly came flooding back. Instinctually, she knew the official designation of her mech. But by her own present will, she knew it could have no other name.

"This is Dahlia Kotilainen, acknowledging. Ahti stands ready and eager for battle."

--- --- ---
<Krysmbot> BitchtitsMcGee, 10+5 = 15

PUT ME IN COACH OOOH ARGH JUST LEMME AT 'EM I'LL MOIDALIZE DA LOT OF 'EM DA CRUMMY BUMS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yi Ersan: Defense:9p/9m TP 3/3/3 | 5/5/5 | GP: 1

"Hmm. Well, this seems familiar." Yi stands in the center of a small room, barely large enough to allow them to move freely. The floor is utilitarian steel. The walls.. are open space. Or look that way; as Yi carefully reaches out and touches one they feel the invisible shield resist them, just as they expected.

"Familiar. Though, it does beg the question of what is my training room doing in space?!"

As if to respond, the walls light up with information, too fast for Yi to process in any conscious way. Diagrams. Instructions. Information.

Enough gets through that Yi's emotionless face begins to shift, if only subtly, to a slight smile. "Ah. I see. I have been given a gift of battle."

They stand in the center and flex their right arm, and they feel the force flow through into the machine. A thought makes thrusters fire. A tingling sensation in their hands signals a buildup of energy.

Yi, for the first time in long decades, grins. "It's perfect."

With that acknowledgement, the screens begin to zoom and display specifics. Enemies. Lots of them. Yi gestures languidly, feeling the machine move with them. "And a testing ground. Truly, this is the best of all possible worlds."

A series of effortless motions bring it, no, them into the ready stance. "Yi Ersan acknowledging. I christen the Crimson Force, and we stand ready."

Krysmbot KPrime, 9+4 = 13

K Prime fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 12, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

GP: 1 | 4/4/4 | 4/4/4/4

A slide back and a tilt down are the first things Yuka feels, like getting guided along in a wheelchair. Not the most pleasant feeling in the world, but she understands the necessity; the central horn, which doubles as an escape pod, plugs into the mech's "forehead" with her inside. She understands the machine, yes, but doesn't understand her own understanding.

The cockpit harness stands her upright so her bare feet can touch down into the glassy cage she's found herself in. She runs her hands over the cold blackness in front of her, watching the lights fade back to life in a spreading circle. She won't find any levers here; just LCDs running up and down her arm's reach. Behind all the HUD elements is, of course, a view from her mech's perspective minus all the hardware. It's like she's out there in space herself. When everything has warmed up, a few unseen projectors impose holographic gloves and a number of form-fitting bands down her figure.
A rifle is placed on the palm of her hand, though she can tap the screen like it wasn't there.

She finds her new one-piece unflattering now that the mech takes notice, but doesn't dwell long. Like the rest of her crew, she feels at home here without really knowing why. She preps her boosters and chimes in from the indicator hovering overhead.

"Yuka here. I've got your back." Something odd strikes Yuka's fancy, causing her to smirk. "Hope you can keep up."

With the mic turned off, Yuka spreads her fingers around her, even tapping a few odd controls with her toes. A notion comes up as if it had been there all along. "So, Hjalmthrimul, shall we begin?" A klaxon is heard at the sounds of the mech's name, followed by a deep feminine voice.

"Acknowledged; with pleasure, Ms. Mori." Hjalmul and Yuka both assume a downward stance, the mech pre-firing its boosters to skate itself up to the lucky contestant.

"You know me so well."

Six speed? Hope I get a good roll. :jerkbag:

<Krysmbot> RWT, 10+6 = 16

Going first!

GP: 1 | 4/4/4 | 4/4/4/4

Tension: 1

"Here we go!" The boosters in her legs and back fire up, beginning her blitz at the saber-wielding mech in front of Thomas. After skirting by Imperius Rex, Hjalmul rams into the enemy and grapples it with her arms. Yuka can almost feel herself embracing the metal, hair falling in front of her eyes. "Hrragh!"

Boosted Lance! Moved 2 zones, so half of that gives +1, with another +1 from tension.

<Krysmbot> RWT, 9+6 = 15

Hjalmthrimul pushes the saber off and slides back to give them both breathing room. Then she holds a hand out and gestures for the enemy to have another go at it. "Hu-huh. Didn't expect that, didja?"

Its sword retracts, three gaping holes in the mech's torso. Yuka would probably feel bad if it wasn't visibly moving. She waves it away. "Get outta here then. I don't wanna hurt you."

Ending my turn in the saber dude's Zone.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 13, 2014

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Ahti - GP: 2 | Defense: 10 | 5/5/5/5

The enemy in front of Dahlia starts moving into a defensive stance, anticipating a charge. So, she has another idea, and powers her systems accordingly. Thruster fire propels Ahti forward, but then suddenly veers off to the side, avoiding the expectant enemy. A glint of light at his head quickly turns into a burning red beam, blasting into the gun-toting mech at the rear. He comes to a stop behind one of the nearby asteroids, placing it between himself and the two other long-range foes in front of Thomas.

Assign 4 Power to the Mega Beam Cannon. Move N, NE, E. Attack nearest blue mech with MBC.

<Krysmbot> BitchtitsMcGee, 10+1+2+5 = 18

Reckon that's a hit.

Bitchtits McGee fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 13, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yi Ersan: Defense:9p/9m TP 3/3/3 | 5/5/5 | GP: 1

Yi looks around at all the targets, then sighs. Sometimes, simple is best. "You first!"

He jets into melee range of the nearest foe and unleashes a series of empowered fist blows across it, Tanden Engine revving into gear. "Too slow! Too slow! TOO SLOW!"

Bursts of light fire from each impact as the projectors in the fists fire a blast, so even a glancing blow melts armor and damages internals.

Moving SW into that mech's square and engaging in a duel.
KPrime, 4+1+8 = 13
2 Advantages, 1 for melee weapon in a duel and 1 from putting 1 energy into the Experimental Reactor
lead to
KPrime, 6+1+8 = 15
KPrime, 7+1+8 = 16 [ORA ORA ORA ORA]
(total energy expended: 3)

K Prime fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 13, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
The Ahti smoothly feints the pilot of the black machine in front of it, and glides about 30 meters to the side of it. Opening up with a powerful blast of energy from a hidden energy cannon located in its head. As it strikes the mech, it holds together as a smoldering wreck for a second, when a chain reaction then goes off and causes a large explosion only 100 or so meters away.

The Crimson Force is a bit less flashy, but just as deadly. Its glowing red fists melting away layer after layer of the enemy's metal until it stops moving.

As that machine drifts away, Yi sees the blue mech that had been behind him line up a shot.

"Noam! Dammit!"

He shoots a ble beam of light at The Crimson Force, and then, even faster than Yi could react, the Crimson Force punches the beam with its glowing fists, moving Yi's hand without their consent. This redirects the beam into an asteroid, blowing it apart, but also causing some damage to the Crimson's hand.

"Y-you MONSTER!"

quote:

The Mook attacked with a Boosted Beam Rifle, spending one advantage to up his might from 4 to 6, then rolled a 9 plus the 1 tension. Kprime guarded with anti-shooting defenses, but still took 2 damage

Then, the black mech rushes at Ahti after he was tricked again.

"This is what you GET for fooling me!"

He dashes towards the Ahti and slashes with his sword.

quote:

The mech attacks with a boosted beam saber,for another 16. That'll be 6 damage unless you do something. The roll was odd, too, so you get to decide what blows up when a layer of armor is destroyed this time.

The machine Yuka had wounded retreats, but his partner backs him up as he leaves, aiming for Yuka.

quote:

Rolled 6+6+1 on that, so a 13. That'll tear apart one of your parts unless you use reactive boosters. If you don't, though, I'll choose your legs.

The two enemy machines that hadn't been bothered yet attack Ultradyne as a pair, it looks like they're used to working together, too.

The one armed with a beam saber charges forward and slashes at Ultradyne, then quikcly moves out of the way for the one with the beam saber to shoot at Ultradyne as well.

quote:

The first robot attacks with a Boosted Beam saber, spending 3 energy out of 4 to spend an advantage for +2 damage, giving him a 16 when he rolled a 9. The mech with the laser rolled a 15 to hit you with his Boosted Beam Rifle. So, that's almost certainly taking off a piece of armor.

I'd choose what I'd disable, but you didn't label were your upgrades ar elocated, so talk to me in IRC about that.

Units outside of the orb of energy try to enter and shoot at it, but they gain nothing for their trouble but ricocheting lasers and melted armor.

(Link to editable doc)

That was the first round so far. Also, from here on please indicate in your post whether you're aiming to kill, or just disable, the mechs you're fighting. If you dont care what happens to them, that's fine. I'll flip a coin to decide if you kill the pilots or not.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Thomas Aquinas - GP: 2 || TP: 3/3/3 | 4/4/4/4 | Guard: 9

As his fellow Pilgrims slammed into the enemy Gears and broke their formation, Tom grinned. He'd said backwards and not all of them had complied, but the enemy forces had been thinned down significantly, and now they were in a prime position to seize the upper hand. "Now there's just one of them for each of us. This will be over in the blink of an eye!."

Most of the melee-capable Gears had been dealt with already. The ones that remained were all locked into a melee, and all the shooters would soon be dealt with...except one. Yi could engage it, but she would leave a nearby Gear open. They could not afford this.

"Activate propulsion systems! Let's control this battlefield!"

Deploying a set of energy thrusters that created winglike maneuvering systems, Imperius Rex rocketed forward, stopping just shy of a collision with Yi's Gear. Raising its rifle, Tom prepared to shoot the rightmost forward Gear, when...

"Level 1 security clearance detected. Deploy Dominus Precision Systems?"

He didn't have to think about it twice. "Yes! Activate them now!" At once, a flood of positioning data hit his brain. There was no way his target would escape from this!

"Yi, I'm going to focus on the Gear to your right! If this shot doesn't do the trick, get to it and take it down! Imperius Rex, fire now! Ad Nihilo!"

He didn't know where the name had come from. It wasn't a suggestion from the machine, or at least it didn't seem to be...maybe he was too used to GG. There, every important attack had a name, including his old favorite models'. Why should his new Gear be an exception?

Regardless, the barrage of laser blasts was unerring. The staccato burst tore bits and chunks of scrap metal from the enemy Gear, and for a moment, its continued existence hung in balance.

Let's get fightin'. Tom buffs himself with Commander Type's Assisted Targeting, aims at the bot at H10, moves to F7, and fires. His result is a 4, for a total of 16. That should run its day, I reckon. Tempus goes now! PS, if Maims are scored, maim in the following order, as per the Assault Rifle's benefits: Arms, Torso, Head, Legs.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 15, 2014

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Ahti - GP: 3 | Defense: 10 | 0/4/4/4

Taking cover here was perhaps not the smartest of decisions, Dahlia thinks to herself. The asteroid may provide cover from ranged fire, but it also limits evasive capabilities somewhat. Ahti is unable to completely avoid the sword-mech's offense, but he does have enough power held in reserve for an emergency burst from the maneuvering thrusters, which is enough to keep the damage localized.

(Using this round's last point of Power on my Reactive Boosters, increasing Guard and thereby reducing the damage by 2. Still enough left to maim the Head, though.

Hope no-one minds my jumping the line here. Just seemed like it'd be clearer to state this before the start of the next Round.)

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Charlie Mannheim GP: 1 D: 8, T: 0/2/6/6

Charlie throws his hands up, shields springing forth from the mech's arms to soak up the blasts from the rifle, but the damage is done. The beam saber has already slashed through some important part of his mech or other, red alerts springing up all over his HUD.

Charlie activates his Custom Defense (Shooting) for increased defense against the Beam Rifle.

But alerts didn't matter. His hands were okay, and he could still bring the ruckus to the guy with the sword.

And he gets a 13 on the attack against the beam saber-wielding mech.

He seized the mech, grabbing and yanking at its sword arm in a modified joint-lock.

"Let's do this, cowboy," he says, swinging the mech around to position it between him and the gunner. "This isn't my first two-on-one."

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 15, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

GP: 1 | 4/4/4 | 1/4/4/4
Energy: 2

New Round! Tension: 2

Yuka's cockpit throws her for a loop as Hjalm's automatic boosters take evasive maneuvers. The mech suddenly jerks itself into a cartwheel to attach to the nearby asteroid, having flipped upside-down. A few bullets still graze her, but no critical damage.

Spending one Energy to activate Reactive Boosters to make defense a grand total of 10! Hjalmthrimul takes 3 damage and doesn't junk itself!

"Ha." Yuka takes a breather to line up the next boost, resting both feet and her free hand on the side of the asteroid. From her point of view, the blue mech is the one going feet-up like a weirdo. "You're a pretty good shot." Her back jets rev up. "But I'm a better runner!" Kicking off the rock, Hjalm charges head-first at her momentary opponent. On collision she kicks her head up (down?) to try and force the enemy mech out of the bubble.

Mechanically, Hjalm moved 2 o'clock two zones to the blue armor's zone. Boosted Lance, +1 from zones, +2 tension. (Hit to disable.)

<Krysmbot> RWT, 4+7 = 11

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 15, 2014

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Ahti - GP: 2 | Defense: 10 | 2/4/4/4

Dahlia took a moment to reflect on her options as she activated Ahti's self-repair systems. She hadn't actually meant to kill the rifle-mech pilot. She just happened to hit a vital area, or these mechs were sturdy than they appeared. To tell the truth, she wasn't particularly broken up about it, either, but there was too much still unknown to decisively pick any sides yet.

Ahti fired his rear thrusters full blast, pushing back against the black mech's charge and forcing it back the way it came, accompanied by a flurry of easily-parried sword swings to occupy its attention. Soon enough, he'd reached the edge of the energy field and immediately stopped short of its barrier, but the enemy mech's momentum was just enough to carry it through, trapping it on the other side. "I can hear you," Dahlia said through the open comm line, "and I assume that you can hear me, so listen. This zone is temporary. Anything aside from the five of us still inside of it less than three minutes from now will be annihilated. I suggest you recommend your forces to disengage and pull out immediately." The pilot in front of her seemed to have been more offended at having been spurned as an opponent than the death of their colleague, but perhaps one of the others within range would pick up on the hint. Even if they didn't, she'd made the offer and there was at least one survivor to verify it, so that counted for something. Every little bit helps.

(First, spend 4 Power on Regenerative to heal 2 Threshold, un-Maiming the head. I also decided to spend a Genre Point to activate My Defense Is Impregnable, but totally forgot to include anything in the RP that would suggest it. Maybe I'll edit something in later. :v:

Anyway, activity! Contested Speed roll to Move myself and the engaged enemy!

[22:18] <Krysmbot> BitchtitsMcGee, 3+5 = 8 (Ahti)
[22:18] <Krysmbot> BitchtitsMcGee, 1+5 = 6 (anti-Ahti)

Success being mine, I move the both of us 5 Zones due West, taking advantage of the fact that we can't leave the zone and that they can't enter it to separate us on opposite sides. Crafty, eh?)

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yi Ersan: Defense: 9p/9m TP 3/3/3 | 5/5/5 | GP: 1

"Me, a monster?"

Yi moves and the Force moves with them, directly into the face of the fool who had the temerity to fire upon them.

"Death is a natural consequence of battle. If you didn't wish to risk your life-"

A fist slams into the mech's chest, going straight through to the other side. "You should have stayed home!"

Yi tears their fist loose. "I stand before you, having accepted death long ago. Can you say the same?!"

The Force turns its back on the dying of the light. "Begone from my sight."

KZA, 9+2+8 = 19 + 2 from the advantage from engaging in a melee duel = 21. I think we've got a deader. If they miraculously survive, Arm Guardian gives me +3 guard against them.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 16, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

On the Gallant's Bridge, the commander looks on at the impossible scene before her eyes, trying to grasp just what is happening. Her eyebrow ticks up at Dahlia's warning.

"Alubeh, can you tell me whqat's happening yet? It LOOKS like those machines are controlling the rift.."

The comm system then responds, the old man still monitoring from his modified civilian quarters.

"From what I can tell, they're entering warp. Or... something close to it. What they are doing may be beyond our comprehension for now..."

Commander Jezerka then looks surprised, breaking out of her usual stern expression. "How can a Mechanize Humanoid Unit warp!? The amount of energy needed for it and the strain it'd put on pilots..."

"This is much more than a normal warp. I want to monitor it for as long as possible. Please leave a pilot in the field when the HMUs activate."

The woman then loses her temper.

"A civilian cannot command my troops. Not now, not EVER. If they're entering warp, then:"

"All Jovian HMUs, This is Admiral Jezeka. Retreat at once. Retreat at ONCE."

All of you heard a message ringing out from one of the ships, and once it was heard, all of the machines that were attacking you leave immediately.

Then, your machines being displaying a series of messages as it makes complex calculations. The bubble of energy you find yourselves in begins shrinking around you, and our mechs begin to... glow a series of different colors.

Converters at full capacity, releasing limits on Main Unit

Then, you feel the top of your right hand begin to hurt.. when you look down at it you see something strange.

You might have been too busy to notice it bu-

Then, it starts radiating with energy, glowing brilliant shades of colors emanate from the spaces between the metal as you feel all of your energy being spent to accomplish.. WHATEVER it is the machine is trying to do.

Just the Average Day on Charon

Overlooking a mesa, a girl sets up an intricate system of scanners and powerful cameras, facing a seemingly barren spot of desert. Although there is an impressive array of ruined buildings... but that's not all that odd for the normal landscape of Charon. The girl is listening to a message in her ear piece, smiling a bit to herself. The voice on the other side is a middle aged man that sounds a bit tired.

It's the Thought that Counts posted:

"I'm sorry I won't be able to show up any time soon... I, uh, read your newest article though! I'm surprised you're able to get such pictures so easil-

Then, a call comes through, this time an old woman.

"Mako, where's the newest article?"

Then, the girl responds, a bit playfully.

"Workin' on it!"

"You have good work but you take much too long sometimes. We need the article to make a layout over the week. We're going to start printing by the end of the month. Hurry up or you won't et any pay."

"I know, I know! I can feel a rift comign soon, but calm down and... wh-whoah WHAT..."

"Mako? MAKO? Tch. She disconnected the call. Such a stupid girl sometimes, I swear..."

Each of you stays conscious for less than a minute, trying to get whatever bearings you can before everything goes dark... It's clear that you're in some kind of desert landscape, from what you could tell from your Colony education, but you're much too exhausted to draw any conclusions from there... Then, a new message is displayed to you throguh your machine.

Rejuvinating Main Unit, entering shut down.

Time for rejuvination of Main Unit: 2 hours

Time for Refueling: 48 hours.

Then, you fade into unconciousness.

When you come to, it is night, and you're not in your machines, but around a campfire. Each of you is lying down in some kind of tarp. You seem to have recovered quite a bit of strength, too.

Then, a girl in glasses and a camera around her neck, sitting on what looks like a container for equipment of some sort, looks at you.

"OH! You're awake! Uh, h-hello!"

The girl waves at you sheepishly

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 18, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Some things never changed. Whether it was from a peaceful slumber of the total loss of consciousness, Tom was always the first to rise. It wasn't a pleasant awakening this time, however.

"AH!" He yelled as he woke up with a start. The battle! The Gears! The Pilgrims! Looking around, Tom saw his fellows, and slowly began to relax. They were alive. This...dimensional shift, as he decided to call it, had not killed them either. That was good. "We're alive. Thank goodness. Where are-"

Kill.

Thomas' mind flashed back to the battle, just before its abrupt end. With its Ad Nihilo attack, the Imperius Rex had torn through the enemy Gear with ease. It had remained in place for a few moments, and then it had been consumed by a massive explosion coming from within. His mind replayed the events with laserlike precision, confusing him. Why would it-

An explosion coming from within. Exactly where its pilot was. He couldn't have escaped that.

"I killed him. I killed him." He whispered, as the thought hit him like a sledgehammer. He'd taken that man's life. He'd killed him...

Tom's stomach twisted. Suddenly feeling very sick, he leaned off the tarp and threw up.

"He's dead. He's really dead, and I killed him..." He continued to repeat, as though stuck in a trance.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 18, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Whoah woah woah! Calm down!"

The girl gets on her feet and waves her hands in front of herself.

"You guys came outta a rift or something! Whatever happened where you got stuck in something like that probably wasn't your fault! I think.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Hearing the girl's voice again, Tom jerked reflexively. He wasn't alone. They weren't alone. They didn't have their Gears, and if he said the wrong thing, they could find themselves in deep trouble. It was horrible, but he needed to focus on the present for now. There'd be time to cry later.

They probably killed those other pilots too. All because I pushed them to it...

No. This was not the time to think such things. Shaking his head, Thomas looked at the girl. "Where are our Gears? Where are we? Who are you?" He wanted to hear the answer to those questions, but even if he hadn't, they made for a good distraction. Better focus on the most important things than get distracted and lose himself once again. If that message he'd heard just before the blackout was worth anything, they only had 48 hours at best.

"...How long have we been out of it?" He added, after thinking things through a little better.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Gears? You mean the robots? They're, like, over there-ish? They kinda turned invisible after I got you guys out... You've been sleeping for HOURS, though. I was able to get some good shots, but I dunno how usable they are..."

She pulls up what looks like a laptop and looks at it intently.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 18, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

They hadn't lost them. Tom started breathing a little more easily. "I wouldn't want others to start tinkering with them. They're dangerous things." Slowly, he stood up and walked over to the laptop to take a look at its contents. As he did so, the stentch of the sick finally caught up to him. He wrinkled his nose. "Ack, that just smells absolutely foul. Do you have any cleaning implements? I'll fix that up in a moment. I'm Tom, by the way. Pleased to meet you, Miss...?"

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

GP: 1 | 4/4/4

The dichotomy of fire against the night sky in the fringe of her blurred sight takes Yuka by surprise. Her left eye twitches to adjust to its dry warmth. Finally, smelling bile, she sits up and crinkles her nose. It's Tom, and the others. Yeah, she can feel a little raspy, but she's more confused that actually sick. More importantly, she's in a drat desert.

There's a girl lit up in blue from the glow of a laptop as well, but first things first. "There's enough sand to bury the, uh, mess, Tom. Just make a little hole and scrape the stuff into it." She looks at the native(?). "Is there a scoop or shovel here, babe?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yi Ersan

Yi sits up, slowly, a look of slight disappointment on their face. "Hrm. Like all gifts, a little too good to be true." They carefully rise to their feet, balanced and poised all the way, checking their gravity legs after long weeks in 0-G, then they walk over to Thomas and awkwardly pat him on the back. "You get used to idea in time, Aquinas. Nobody expects everyone to be so... correct all the time." They stand and face the fire, and bow. "Respect for those who fight and die. Respect for their sacrifices in the name of what they believe in. You may taunt, and scream, and fight while the time is right; but when the blood is settled and you stand alive you show all brave warriors your respect."

They return to the upright position. "Nobody truly fights just to make things worse. Everyone who raises fist does so because they believe they have a right to. They can be wrong, but you honor their strength all the same. That is The Way."

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Dahlia Kotilainen - GP: 2 | Defense: 10 | 3/4/4

Dahlia lay as she was for a time, motionless, but conscious and listening. It was Thomas' retching that had awoken her; she really should have seen it coming, the difference between a genius tactician and a veteran soldier. Yuka offered him gentle acceptance, while Ersan responded with a whetstone, sharpening his edges so that he would cut cleaner the next time. Prudent, she had to admit.

She did not hear Charlie, but he must have been there, or else she would have heard the others looking for or asking after him. That left just one unknown quantity. Dahlia pushed herself up and turned to face their hostess(?), sitting cross-legged on the tarp, staring up at her. Watching. Listening. Feeling. It all came so naturally...

(Trying to probe reporter-lady for anything nifty she remembers about nifty things, like where we are and what's going on.

<Krysmbot> BitchtitsMcGee, 6+5 = 11, 7+5 = 12

Also, 1 activate + 2 fives making up the result = 3 points of damage, halved by Psychic Powers to 1.)

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Charlie

He rose, silent and motionless, staring into the fire.

"We shouldn't have to kill." he said, softly. "It should be a last resort, not something we jump to just because it's an option. What happened back there was wrong."

He pauses, looking at the design on his hand. Some kind of machinery, but he couldn't be sure what.

"...wherever there is. Wherever here is, for that matter."

He looks at the girl.

"Uh...where are we exactly, ma'am?"

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Yuka tries to remain sagely during Yi's lesson. "It seems like it'll be hard not to be reckless with mechs. You don't see faces or names, just targets." She closes her eyes and lets the fire's warmth brush her face. "It's daunting, isn't it? I've found disabling the mechs with precise body blows will keep the systems intact enough to retreat of their own volition. An opponent with no means of fighting back can at least live to see another day." She glances back to Tom. "It was only one person. When you're responsible for an entire colony, you have my permission to vomit." She stands up, a little weak in the knees if only from exhaustion, and scoops up a double-handful of sand. She sprinkles it onto the puddle, more out of sympathy than obligation.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Two figures overlook the camp. Both are rather young men with some odd bestial features, lying prone on a mesa, looking down at the camp using binoculars.

"Ok, we found her now... but what about those other people?"

"Who even knows? You can never tell with her." The young man then leans back and rests. "If something happens we could just swoop in with the MHUs anyway."

"YOU'RE the one that that rushed out here when the tracker went dead, you know. Why do you gotta be so nonchalant now?"

"Shut up."

"Oh! Yeah there is, just over here. My name's Mako, by the way." As Mako digs through a bag behind her for a shovel and some supplies, she continues asking some questions.

"Are you guys soldiers or something? I-it's fine if you are. I was just wondering. Most of you seem a bit too nice, though..."

It looks like she has a file open on her device, it has a lot of different pictures taken in quick succession. There's a burst of swirling, multi-colored light, then your machines gradually appear as the light dissipates.

"So, uh... you're on Charon right now. Do you mind telling me about those things on your hand, too?"

Dahlia starts to feel a kind of... interference in her head, making it hard to concentrate. Just then, the young girl rubs her head as well.

Dahlia's probing failed because I rolled a 10 and her willpower is kinda ok. There is also another possible reason, maybe... :iiam:

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 19, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yi Ersan

Yi looks at her with curiosity. "No, none of us are soldiers, except when necessary. I am a student, for example."

They look at their hand for the first time. "I was hoping you could explain this thing. I suppose I expect too much of people."

Still investigating the device, they say, "Charon? Well... we're much closer than we were before. I suppose that's something."

K Prime fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 19, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

As he took the shovel and went to work, Tom went through the words of counsel his fellow Pilgrims had offered him. Respecting those who chose to fight...that made sense. Nobody wanted to die, they just fought to defend themselves, or protect things that were too important to give up. Maybe they really didn't have that much of a choice. Maybe it couldn't be avoided...as he finished cleaning up his mess, he started to feel a little better. It wasn't much, but he didn't feel crushed by the guilt anymore.

"Yi's right. We're not soldiers. We're Pilgrims, traveling through the stars to see if there's anything left of humanity in the Solar System." Intrigued, Tom raised his hand to take a better look at the symbol inscribed on it. It reminded him of an eye a little, or perhaps a subwoofer.

"It's strange, isn't it? Ever since we entered the Solar System, we've been thrown around like ragdolls, with no time to get our bearings. It musn't be common here on Charon, by the sounds of it." He said, sitting down next to the fire, close enough to Mako to not have to shift his gaze constantly to hold a conversation. "I don't suppose it marks as legendary heroes, does it?" He said, a hint of irony in his voice.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Dahlia Kotilainen - GP: 2 | Defense: 10 | 3/4/4

Dahlia winces, blinks, then shakes her head so hard her cheeks flap. What the hell just happened? Did she do that? Or did she do that? Because something just happened for drat sure, even if no-one else noticed it, which it doesn't look like they did, Mako included. Chest feels tight and head is throbbing a bit, but there's no actual pain. Perhaps the strangest part is how familiar it all seems.

However, that train of thought is diverted before it can go any further by mention of their hand emblems. This is the first time she's seen it, actually, since the motion sleeve in Ahti kept her completely covered; everyone else seems to know about them already, so their control systems must be different somehow (only makes sense, given how wildly their external designs vary as well, although that fact doesn't make much sense itself). "These must have come along with the gears," she says distractedly, thinking out loud as she prods and scratches experimentally at the patch or whatever it is, "wherever they came from." She pauses her exploration for a second and looks back at Mako. "They don't any of them look familiar to you by any chance, do they? The mechs, I mean."

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Charlie

"Well, they're obviously some kind of tech. Not sure what they'd be, but it's probably some kind of link or bond to the gear, almost like a biometric scanner or something. Wish there was some safe way to figure out more without risking injury."

Charlie uses his Intellect + Science to try to analyze the hand symbol things and gets a whopping 8!

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Wait wait wait. Are you guys... from a new fronteir!? Oh man..."

Mako then starts typing on her keyboard, and responds a bit absentmindedly to all of your comments.

"Nah, I've never seen robots like yours before... Heck, they even cloaked themselves after a few minutes when I pulled you guys out. It was REALLY weird. "

Mako then rubs the back of her neck for a second.

"If you don't know about the weird symbol thing, though... that's fine."

Then, back to furious typing.

"We could head into town and you could tell me lots about yourselves, if you want! It felt like your robots were out of fuel anyway, so I don't think you have anything to lose."

Mako then looks at all of you for a second, determination in her eyes.

She then decides to plead with you like a 12 year old.

"Pleeeeeease?"

As for Charlie, the only thing he can tell from looking at the symbol is that it is VERY advanced, and impossible to decipher without highly advanced tools. Even then, you might not be able to tell precisely what it is.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 19, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Yuka sit on her section of tarp and looks at the top of her hand for a while. "Guess you're taking me for another ride. Ahem."

She gives Mako a soft smile. "Calm down, hon. We'll go to town with you." She looks up at the sky. "Charon, huh?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"How far away from the town are we? I'm not sure we can afford to stay too long." Tom asked, worried. According to that voice, they had 48 hours. What would happen when their time was up? Would the Gears move on without them? Would they move on without the Gears? It was a big risk, one he wasn't sure he wanted to take if the universe was going to keep using them as playthings. "If we can get there in time, though, I don't see why we couldn't pay it a quick little visit."

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Well you gotta have your robots refueled right? AND you wanna know more about this system, so it's a win-win!"

Mako looks at you with determination, her eyes filled with passion.

"You just hafta tell me everything about where you're from on the way, ok!?"

if you guys go with her, you can tell her about where your from(or whatever lies you feel are acceptable, I suppose, and mine her for information on the way. That way I kill 3 birds with one stone.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 20, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Tom gave the others a look. Was it worth it? A part of him wanted to say yes. He longed to meet people who wouldn't shoot them on sight, and Mako had been nice enough. The more cynical, bitter part of him that had started to get his attention since the battle was wary, however. It could be a trap. They shouldn't go. It was better to wait. He could think of a million other arguments, but none of them helped them any. They just kept them locked in place, unable to move forward. He shook his head and smiled broadly.

"I don't know how much everybody else will be willing to share, but I'm good for it. You're some kind of journalist, aren't you? The Captain of the Aincrad Shining Wizards is very used to interviews!" He said, standing up and striking a dramatic pose.

"But I have one demand to make! For every question that is answered, I'll get to ask one question back at you. Are you ready to share your secrets, Mako? Consider your options carefully!"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Mako grasps the nape of her neck again and looks at Thomas a bit bewildered.

"Uh... sure?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"In that case, let's move right along and get this interview started. Ladies and interviewers first. What is the most pressing query on your mind?" Tom replied, not missing a single beat. This was something he was used to. It felt good to return to normalcy, after a fashion, even if only for a little while.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Yuka stands up and starts folding up her tarp. "Christ, Thomas, she's not interrogating us." She holds a hand up. "Though I will say I don't have much I really want to tell anybody right now."

She continues, "You need to mitigate more, Thomas. It's rude to be abrupt about a woman's life. Now apologize for that remark, and for making a mess." With her tarp neatly packed, she rests her knees on it and crosses her arms.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yi Ersan

"It would have been better to just keep quiet and let her talk..." grumbles Yi, but they don't interrupt. It was clear Thomas was trying to regain his balance, and though Yi thought the method was, in a word, stupid, he wasn't in any position to claim superiority here.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Don't be like that, Yuka! I was asking for an exchange from one seeker to the other, not trying to pry into a woman's personal life!" Tom pouted as he crossed his arms, seemingly hurt by that remark. "I mean, she's obviously very pretty, but I never delve into a lady's secrets. That's just uncouth! But she's right, I shouldn't be so forward. Go ahead and ask whatever you need to ask. My questions can come later." He continued, turning briefly to give Mako an apologetic smile as he waited for her to get the questions she was so obviously bursting to ask out.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 20, 2014

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Dahlia Kotilainen - GP: 2 | Defense: 10 | 1/4/4

Dahlia follows along silently, at best only half-listening to the conversation. Her attention is instead divided evenly between the emblem on her hand and the odd sensation from before when she was watching the reporter. It's too much to believe there's no connection between them whatsoever. The emblems came with the gears, so the obvious conclusion would be that they allow each Pilgrim to operate their own. But if that is the case, or even if it isn't, would that be their only function? Unlikely. A secondary effect, independent from the gears or their operation. Applying only to the "Main Unit"...

While the others continue chattering between themselves, Dahlia fixes her eyes back on Mako and concentrates. Again, the same sensation, of somehow reaching out. Reaching, but to what...?

(Mind-reading again! Same deal as before, except an extra point of damage because I rolled too good.

<Krysmbot> BitchtitsMcGee, 6+5 = 11, 10+5 = 15

Willpower
that, camera-girl! :smuggo:)

Bitchtits McGee fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Charlie

HE takes in the whole situation, letting out a slight laugh at the end of it. Well, he'd cut promos and done interviews before as well, he didn't see how it could hurt to take Tom's course of action.

"Hey, uh, I can answer some questions too. Name's Charlie Mannheim, by the way," he says, extending his non-marked hand to the girl.

• Locked thread