Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
"Hello!"

Mako then shakes Charlie's hand.

"Ok, help me pack this stuff into my jeep and we'll be set! It'll take 4 hours or so if we're lucky."

Dahlia notices a thought enter her head, a thought that was certainly not her own.

quote:

Wow, they have the same kind of mark I do. AND they're from somewhere no one's been before! This'll be great!

The black haired, round eared young man notices movement.

"Ah, looks like she's on the move. You got that listener set up?"

"Yeah, this stuff's pretty delicate you know."

The black haired one gets up and heads to his MHU, sitting in the cockpit located in the chest.

"I doubt a short walk will hurt your precious equipment. We need to know what the strangers are saying. We have to watch out for new people, you know that."

"Alright, geez. It's a pain to clean later, is all!"

A Trek Through the Desert of Ruins

As you went into the Jeep(which turned out to be a bit too small for 6, so things might be a bit uncomfortable in the back...)

As you rode, you notice just how many ruins there were in the desert. Hundreds of buildings, some ruined, and some looking relatively intact, dotted the landscape far and near as you went.

It was difficult to pay too much attention, though, because Mako started barraging you with questions as you traveled down the rough and unmanaged road..

Mako's first questions posted:

What kind of society did you live in?

What was the food like?

How much do you know about other places?

Did you develop tech based on older tech like everyone else?

The amount of questions she asked were immense, and the above is only a sample, but most boiled down to simply explaining where your from and how that society worked, and how you felt about it.

The more astute among you might feel something "off", as if you are being followed in the distance. It's difficult to tell if it's because you might be tense, though.

Imagine dialogue over a scene of driving and traveling through the desert. You can provide Mako with answers while also asking her for information in a kind of abstracted way. This could be delivered through dialogue or through a kind of outline like I just did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Thomas Aquinas - GP: 2 || TP: 3/3/3 | 4/4/4/4 | Guard: 9

It was fun to answer questions, instead of fearing what might happen later. Tom spent the while trading questions with Mako as they made their way to the settlement, recalling details of the Nova Albion colony ship.

"I was born aboard the ship Nova Albion. It's a very formal and stiff place, for the most part, but nice, clean and interesting once you get past the surface. What about you? Are you a Charon native?"

"We really like our red meats and tea, so both of those are delicious. It's a pity I can't remember the recipe for the Regina Land beef, it's so tasty everybody asks for seconds after trying it. Now for my question! On the way here, we had an encounter with two military groups that were arguing with each other and then came to blows. Are there any factions fighting right now that you know of?"

"I learned a lot about the other ships while traveling for the pro tours. Some of them are really quite different! I bet Charlie can share an example with you. By the way, is Charon highly populated or is this the only town in miles and miles instead?"

"I'm not quite sure I understand the question. Technology doesn't just come from thin air, does it? It's all based on the research and efforts that precede it. Everything comes from what came before. Why do you ask? Is there some sort of techno-wizard out there who creates new things out of whole cloth?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yi Ersan

Yi doesn't talk much. They prefer not to waste words when they feel this uneasy... like...

Like someone is watching.

Yi sits in the back, having willingly taken the least comfortable position, and made it even more so by constantly peering into the distance.

It might take them a while, but they're going to figure out why they feel someone's eyes.

KZA, 9+4 = 13 Awareness!

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Oh! that sounds neat."

When Tom mentions fighting factions she looks forward, keeping her eyes on the road.

"Well, that kinda ties into my tech question. See, there are two main forces out here. There's the Frontiersmen and the Jovian's. I do't really care about either, but because of what kind of technology they were able to find while developing, the Sol System is in control of basically any frontier it comes across because of all the Aether it's able to get a hold of."

"Charon is one of the planets that handles manufacturing and stuff in emergencies or for ships going out into a frontier, so a lot of the time old towns have to be cleared out when there are chances a rift might appear. I make my money photographing rifts and describing them, but it's a huge problem for most people..."

Yi, looking out into the distance behind them, sees two bobbing lights. The up and down motion they show makes it seem like they might be large two legged things, likely mechs, instead of a small vehicles like what you're in.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 21, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yi

Yi judges the others for a moment, then quietly nudges Thomas. "We've got company," they whisper in his ear. "At least one vehicle, possibly two, following. Nothing we can do yet, by my mark. Something to think about."

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

GP: 1 | 4/4/4

Yuka stays mum for most of the questions, but loosens up when she hears:

"Aah, the food. Gurume had some great nutrient drinks. Have you tried bubble tea? It's just like that; vitamin powders blended with frozen yogurt and little cubes of fruits and vegetables and flakes of greens. Even better than soykafs. The mess crew loved food processors. I sure... (sigh) miss that."

She leans her elbow against the door, her chin on her hand. "The Rukamishi sure didn't have that."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

"Frontiersmen and Jovians...that's good to know. Now we know who to stay away from." Tom said, as he let the new information sink in, just before Yi chimed in with far more pressing (and worrisome) news. Thankfully he had a good poker face. Though the new developments concerned him, he didn't let it show.

"You say rifts are a huge problem for most people because they can force them to move on and abandon their homes, but it's nothing much for you. Don't you have a home, Mako?" He asked, curious.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Well, I kinda do and kinda don't.... My dad's reeeally far away and I don't see him often, and cities have schedules based on Aethur usage, so people aren't usually in big danger. I get that they don't want to move around much, though."

Mako then looks at you for a second, with a bit of a grin on her face.

"Me though? I make lots of money by taking pis of rifts and recording how they work. They're different all the time, and the mags that use my data make lots of money! I'm the only one that can do it, too, so I'm pretty set! I also have an editorial for stories and stuff an-"

The jeep then bumps into something, and Mako yelps in surprised. She looks at where she's driving again, a bit embarrassed.

"So, it sounds like you guys live on ships? How far back do your records go? Actually, how'd you get to the Sol System? If you wanna keep that a secret I tootally get it!"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"We don't have a very long history. A few hundred years, I reckon? The future's more important than the past, really. As for how we got back to Sol...well, I think we should wait a little while before explaining that mystery. Suspense makes a story that much more thrilling, doesn't it?" Tom said, grinning. "What did you hit back there? Some kind of rock?"

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Dahlia Kotilainen - GP: 2 | Defense: 10 | 1/4/4

"You say you're the only one who can get readings on the rifts. Does that mean there's just the six of us?"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"Huh? W-what do you mean?"

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

"You know what I mean." More importantly, now she knows that it's not a secret, which will make keeping it harder. "But perhaps I shouldn't expect you to explain yourself while driving, at least not until we're clear of those rocks." Dahlia leans her head against the window beside her and stares lazily across the unchanging scenery. Might she be enjoying this just a tiny bit more than she should...? "So, any fish on Charon? You do still eat fish, right?"

Bitchtits McGee fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 21, 2014

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Charlie

He absent-mindedly looks up from his hand, idly poking and prodding at it in some vague attempt to figure out what the mark was.

"Well, Tom's right, all the ships are extremely different. My home's the Ocultar, it's, er...decadent, to say the least. But not for everyone - very rigid social strata, things of that nature. I'm part of the middle class, the 'artisans' - basically I do engineering for the rich folks, the rich folks pay me a significant chunk less than they get. But there's a real entertainment culture that spans across the fleet. Tom does the pro gaming tours, I'm a robot luchador pilot, things like that. Entertainment's what drives the Ocultar, by and large. Kinda makes me wonder what you guys do around here for fun, haha.

As for the cuisine, it really depends where you go. The upper-class stuff is a lot more airy and light, real decorative and a lot of spun sugar and garnishes. Middle and lower-class stuff is generally more filling, very hearty fare - remind me to make some Carne de la Ocultar next time I get put in a kitchen, would you, Tom? - but the one thing all Ocultar food has in common is that it's got a real kick to it. Speaking of which, I could really go for a meal right now.

But anyway, when it comes to the other ships, I'd like to say I know a thing or two, but really the only time I got to see the other ships was when the Mecanicolucha took a tour through the other parts of the fleet, and most of my time was spent in the ring. Good times though, I got to meet a lot of people from a lot of cultures.

And when it comes to tech, I guess as an engineer this would kind of be my thing to wax poetic about, right? On the Ocultar it really is a lot of cannibalizing old tech, for the most part, especially on the lower decks of the ship. A lot of the more new, innovative tech stays with the upper-class, usually built by their pet technicians and whatnot, but then again, it's also more about form than function in that part of the ship. I'd rather work on something that actually, you know, WORKS."

The vehicle hits a rock, jostling him slightly. He chuckles.

"Bit of a bumpy ride, isn't it? Is the whole planet like this, or are there other climates?"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"I've had ifsh before, not really my favorite thing, and it's a bit rare because of the smalll-ish amount of water available. Charon is mostly deserts and stuff. There's no point in terraforming a planet that has so many Rift occurrences, so..."

When Charlie comments on the disparity in the Ocultar, Mako can't help but chime in.

"Yeah... Iguess you can say that's what everything is like all over the place..."

Now in the cockpit of their MHUs, the two young men continued following Mako and her new friends. When one serious looking guy says that someone's following, the horse eared young man speaks up, a bit panicked.

"poo poo, it sounds like we were found out!"

"It's fine. They can't do anything about it. Record a bit more and then we'll be on our way to Byfair ahead of them."

You all chatted for a while longer, and the more attentive among you will feel the unease of being watched leave you. It's still dark out when you reach the town, which is a mixture of stone and all metal buildings.

As the jeep drives towards the entrance to the town, which is quite the sparse affair, just a bit piece of curved metal with the words "Byfair" held up on 2 7 Meter poles, two MHUs stand guard on either side. The cockpits on both units are open, and you see two young men looking out at you. They both say the same thing simultaneously.

"Hey Mako."

Mako waves back energetically. "Hey, Gana! Shoni! How's guard duty been?"

Oh, just... great." Gana says sarcastically. "SO great I didn't evenhave the time to wonder where the hell you went off to after your boss called me. Who're your friends anyway?"

"Oh, uh... They're from the next town over! And the call was cut because of interference... From the Rift. Yeah!"

Mako then turns to all of you after stopping the jeep for a second.

"Ok, I'm gonna pull in near a nice place to stay for the night, and we can totally talk more in the morning! I'll even lend you some money to stay at the inn ok?"

We're just about at the end of the episode, so if anyone has anything else they wanna do, you have a post or two to do it. After that, I'll be transitioning to episode 2 once you all turn in for the night, and I'll be giving you your CP and MP.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

And that's about the time everything went flying out the window.

"Are those real?! They are, aren't they!"

Before anyone else can properly react, Dahlia is actively yet blithely invading Shoni's personal space, gawking at the ears stick out of his bandana.

"But this is incredible! How did this happen?! Is it a recent development? Hmm, I don't see a tail... how much of the rest of you is like this?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

It wasn't easy. It wasn't easy at all. Tom had to fight hard to control his urge to laugh, but he managed it, just barely. "I didn't know Dahlia was an animal person, if I have to be honest. Colour me surprised!" He said, an amused grin still plastered on his face in spite of his best efforts. "That's yet another strange thing to add to our running tally, then. Should we expect winged pigs next, then?"

Transient People fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 22, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

"U-uh you're kinda in my personal space, lady..."

Shoni tries to push Dahlia away. While Mako tries to pull Dahlia.

"C'mon, stop being weird! I'll explain stuff LATER, ok?" urges Mako.

Grana looks on, both a bit perplexed and kind of amused.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

"Huh?" Mako's insistent tugging seems to snap Dahlia out of whatever attack she'd just been under. Her head pivots slowly between the human reporter and the as-yet-unclassified guardsman while her conscious mind catches up with current events. "Ah. Oh... uh. Hum. Yes," she says once she can finally manage actual words again, turning back to address Shoni from a respectful distance. "Sorry. I was just... no, never mind, no excuses. That was incredibly indecent of me, and I do sincerely apologize." After a quick, formal bow, she turns and starts walking away, hoping that she's at least been able to keep herself from blushing on top of it all. Some 'first contact' that turned out to be...

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yi

Yi stops looking behind the group distractedly, still suspicious of pursuit, even if they haven't sensed anyone following in some time. "This is all well and good and amusing, but can we just get inside already? I'm sure our hosts can be questioned once we're in the walls."

Looking at the (somewhat familiarish) mechs, Yi mutters to themself. "Those look a lot like the one side from earlier... also, they should really keep the cockpits closed, a good sniper could ruin their day..."

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Charlie

He sidles up to Yi, overhearing their muttering.

"You know, you could probably stand to relax a bit. Earlier circumstances aside, I don't think going forward with the assumption that everything is out to attack us or people around us is the best idea. Smacks of paranoia, really. Besides, there's plenty of time to solve these mysteries later. For now, let's get some chow in us and focus on thinking when we're a bit more settled for the time being."

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Yuka snickers at the group, trying not to intrude. She does shoot Grana a look like 'Tourists, right?' but remains outside of the conversation, silent except for her chuckles.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

After the introductions are out of the way, all of you enter town without a fuss. It being the middle of the night, nothing much is going on, so you're able to simply rest for now.

After that, you had a day of total relaxation.

It seems Mako was busy with work over the next day or two, but hung out with you when you woke up. Conversations with her along with your own investigations revealed quite a few facts to you.'

It looks like Frontiers are territories that are connected to the Sol System through a kind of worm hole, or a series of worm holes, within the kuiper belt. As the Jovians expanded out and connected to various frontiers, they forced Aethur manufacture on the frontiers, which ended up wrecking the frontier system. This led to the creation of the Frontiersmen, and they've been a thorn in the Jovian government's side ever since.

Charon is technicallly under the jurisdiction of the Jovians, but frontiersmen are the only ones with any real presence on the planet. They influence local government and uphold the law, as well as form an army for defense against Jovians. The Jovians tacitly accept this arrangement for now, because they have no interest in launching a full occupation against the frontiers that Charon prepares ship for traversing.

Because of this, Charon has been rather peaceful since Mako can remember. So there's been at least 14 years of peace in at least this part of the Sol System, and while Mako and Shoni are both Fronteirsmen, neither has seen actual real combat to Mako's knowledge, the closest they've gotten is some training in Space maneuvering a while back.

After a day of relaxation and investigation, you finally head back to the inn Mako gave you money to stay in for the night. Mako will be too busy appeasing her boss with new articles to stick around, though. So you're on your own when you go to bed.

You spent the day resting or thinking on what you now know and such, you have 6 more CP to spend on your character, you also gain 6 MP but don't spend that yet. Make sure to post what you spend it on in the OOC thread

A Strategic Meeting over Charon

Captain Jezerka finds herself on board the Imperator. Currently serving as a supervisor o Alubeh's newest plan, much to her chagrin.

"Commander Martin, ready your forces to infiltrate the town called Byfair. There is a Frontiersmen base there, and we will need information on where to look for any strange rifts within the past week."

The commander, a thinning, almost skeletal old man with graying hair swept over a bald spot, looks at the Captain incredulously from his chair on the bridge of the Imperator.

"You know this will cause a severe backlash, right? On who's authori-"

"On the authority of the new head of Technology Acquisition. Just do it." Jezerka says with irritation. "Make sure to land far enough away from the town to keep the element of surprise. Mobilize MHUs and commando teams in order to capture critical points, and do NOT use beam weapons. There is too much Aethur usage on Charon as it is. We don't need a rift showing up in the middle of an operation."

On a ship heading towards Charon, Alubeh rubs a mark on his hand while thinking to himself.

"It's time for the plan to reach fruition. No more compromises, now that THEY'VE shown themselves..."

As Thomas slept, he elt himself plagued by nightmares... To the point where it affected his health. Two events in these nightmares stand out to him as he wakes...

Mako lies on a slanted metal medical table, restrained and unconscious, though she looks very fatigued. A cable of some sort connected to her neck. The room she's in is grey and sterile. A man and 2 others in white medical outfits look over some machinery.

"Being the 5th mental scan. We need as much information as possible before-" Then a loud BOOM shakes the room, and the man commands the others.

"Undock the ship and get out of here. We CAN'T let anyone else have her until she is thoroughly examined!"

Then, another scene jumps to Thomas' mind.

Again, it is Mako, but now she's awake and piloting what looks like a small medical hovership.

"OK, ok, it looks like the sub systems are giving out... poo poo poo poo poo poo."

Thomas can feel the ship descending quickly, stuttering and shaking the whole time. Then you hear a middle aged man's voice call out Mako's name with great concern as the ship falls.

Then, Thomas wakes up

Taking advantage of Thomas' Visions power to see Turning Points, I just showed him two turning points. The cost of this GM Fiat is that Thomas takes 3 damage to his plot armor. On the plus side, he gets a Genre Point!

BOOM

You are all surprised by a massive explosion, jolting you awake or merely making you jump. You hear footsteps outside the window of the spacious room rented out to all of you by the inn, which has the usual accommodations you would see in a hotel room or something similar, and now gunfire begins ringing out in the distance.

It sounds like military combat has just erupted in Byfair.

You probably won't need to roll much for this part. Just investigate your immediate surroundings and react, for now. This post was getting long so I'll be making another post after a round of posts from you guys

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 25, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Thomas Aquinas - GP: 3 || TP: 3/3/3 | 4/4/4/4 | Guard: 9

"MAKO!" Rude awakenings were becoming routine in Tom's life as of late, but that didn't mean he was getting any more used to them. It took him a few minutes to recognize where he was and what had happened. They'd met the villagers, found a place to sleep at, and retired for the night...that much he remembered. Things had gone wrong at some point, however. At least, that's what it seemed like to him, judging from the explosions in the distance. Perhaps this was just some strange cultural custom, but he wasn't feeling like taking any chances. Mako...why had she featured in his dreams like that? He'd dreamed of pretty girls before, but never about them being examined like some kind of alien being, or meeting a terrible fate.

"Is this more interference from that voice? I wouldn't be surprised." He thought, ruefully, as he began looking for his clothes and getting dressed. If this was a warning, he didn't dare take a risk not heeding it. He needed to find Mako, gather the others, and get back to the Gears as soon as possible. If the Jovians had come looking for them, they needed their machines to stand a chance.

It was only as Tom started putting a shirt on that he noticed something wet and sticky dripping down his cheeks. Touching it gingerly, he lifted his hand and saw that it was covered in blood. Tracing its path up his face, he soon found the source. As he quickly wrote down a message informing the others that he'd left to look for Mako and to meet with him in Byfair's outskirts and slipped out of the room, only one question went through Tom's mind.

"Why are my eyeballs dripping blood?"

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

While it would be logical for Yuka to be awakened by the explosion, but she's a light sleeper. No, Thomas' outburst was enough to stir her. She leans up and turns onto her side to try and catch a glimpse. "Mmn, Tom?" She props herself up on her elbow in time for the BOOM.

Her hair seems to spike up and her eyes widen. "Tom? Tom!?" She pulls herself out of bed and checks the door, where she finds his note prefaced with drops of blood. "Augh. drat kid..." In as much control as she can muster, Yuka makes her way outside.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yi Ersan: Defense:9p/9m TP 3/3/3 | 5/5/5 | GP: 1

Yi's eyes snap open. They were not truly sleeping, for true sleep is a thing for those without worry or fear. They sit up and sigh. "I warned them. Nothing comes free from conflict."

Quietly and with no sense of hurry or alarm, they get dressed. Then, with a tread that a cat would have a hard time matching, they stalk outside through the back door.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Dahlia Kotilainen - GP: 1 | Defense: 10 | 4/4/4

For a second, Dahlia is convinced that the emblem allows her to teleport as well as read minds. She'd been looking through cabinets for something to add any sort of flavor to this bland heatpackage soup she'd found in the kitchen area when there was an explosion and next thing she knows she's on the roof of the inn. But then memories of scrambling up a disused stairwell resurface in her mind and she calms back down. Still... why'd she feel like she had to come up here, of all places...?

Her head whips instinctively to face the nearby sound of automatic weapons fire. Moving over to the edge (the building is hardly a skyscraper, but it's tall enough for a view), she can make out figures moving on the next street over, two groups approaching the same block from different directions. Between distance and low-light, they're little more than shapes, but that's enough. She can see the way they move. It's roughly the same way as they moved against each other when they were fighting around the Pilgrim earlier (had that really only been a matter of hours ago?). On foot, piloting a mech, in space or planetside, the philosophies are the same.

More gunfire. They're here for her and the others; on some level, she realizes that. But all she does about it is climb onto the roof so she can watch the battle lines form like storm fronts in front of her.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Charlie

BOOM.

He blots upright, scrambling for the nearest cover, and then dashing out to try to find out what's going on.

He comes across Tom's note and Yuka shortly thereafter, taking the time to read it and looking at her incredulously.

"Glad I ran into you," he says, running a hand through his shaggy hair. "Let's get after Tom, then, it's no good to leave one of us out there alone with whatever the hell is going on out here."

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Thomas Aquinas

As Thomas goes to leave the inn through the front door, someone grabs his arm. When he looks behind he sees the inn keeper that Mako had payed for their lodging. Thomas had no reason to know him very well, and whatever conversations they might hold would be mostly cordial. When Thomas looked into the inn keeper's eyes, however, he saw a mix of anger, determination, and fear.

It was then that Thomas noticed the rifle held in his right hand.

The Innkeeper spoke in hushed whispers, but the stress he was experiencing could be felt through every uttered word. "Don't go out there sonny! The town's under attack! Just stay in here with me and I-I'll protect you alright? I don't want strangers getting into harms way because of OUR problems!"

Yi Ersan

As Yi heads out of the inn through a backdoor they found when they took note of all ways in and out of the inn, and head out into the street. Yi doesn't get far though. They find themselves in a 5 foot wide alley between two sandstone buildings in the darkness of the early morning when Yi hears the shuffle of footsteps.

Before Yi could be quite sure what happened, they are in the cross-hairs of the assault rifles of at LEAST 4 differently positioned people in military attire

One of them comes a bit closer, though still not in striking distance, and keeps his assault rifle aimed at Yi. At a casual glance, it seems like all of the soldiers have their guns aimed in such a way to avoid friendly fire.

The man's voice is partially modulated due to the helmet, but you can easily make it out. "Put your hands up! Are you or are you not with the Frontiersmen?"

Because this is interesting, story wise, and is a bit of GM fiat, I'm giving Yi a Genre Point.
____________________________________________-

Charlie, Yuka, and Thomas

As Charlie and Yuka head downstairs to catch up with Thomas, they see him being held by the portly innkeeper that you have seen in passing throughout the past day. It looks like he's holding a hunting rifle of sorts, too.

Then, near the back of the inn you all hear a voice, commanding and aggressive, and slightly modulated with static.

"Put your hands up! Are you or are you not with the Frontiersmen?"

The Innkeeper's face changes to shock as he looks past his own counter and toward the kitchen.

"Someone near the kitchen then? Tch!"

The innkeeper then lets go of Tom and runs through the door that lies past the counter, towards the back exit of the inn.

A "click" comes from the direction of the back entrance to the inn. The man looking at you moves his head to get a clear look. He then takes his left hand off of the reciever of his weapon and points to one of his men closest to the door. With a simple gesture, the man that clearly seems to be the leader sends the soldier to approach the, currently ajar, inn backdoor...

You watch the skirmishes around Byfair unfold. It looks like there is no direct combat in this portion of the town, and there are no mechs in the town either. However, in the distance you see lights moving at speeds that could only be achieved by mechs, and while there are signs of battle, the lights STILL move steadily closer to the town. It was likely that the explosion that woke all of you was the destruction of one of these machines in the distance.

If an explosion like that happens in Byfair, who knows what could happen...

Then, that train of thought is interrupted as you see Yi being held up by a group of soldiers that must have been scouting nearby. It looks like one of them is heading close to the inn...

In a cave system tens of miles away from Byfair, Grana waits impatiently in his cockpit. Information had been recieved an hour or so ago that Jovians above Charon had begun taking irregular flight patterns, but who knew they would be so reckless?

"How quickly until the fitting is done on my unit!?" Grana snaps, rather uncharacteristically.

"I-it'll be done soon, sir."

Then an older voice interjects over the coms. "Calm down, Grana. At this rate we will have time to secure Byfair and complete the objective. Remember that your MAIN objective right now is securing Mako, let others handle keeping the enemies at bay."

"I know that, commander. Better than anyone." Grana says while gripping what looks like a pendant.

"Alright then. Grana, Shoni, this will be similar to the simulations. Just because this is a real confrontation, don't forget your training. And Shoni? Be careful."

Then, Shoni's soft voice comes through the coms.

"I will, dad. If these spec-ops units don't help, I don't know what will."

In order to make things clearer, sneaking out of Byfair, or trying to accomplish something in Byfair, will be an extended test. You have to make sure you can avoid being spotted by soldiers around the town, try and survive firefights, and dealing with enemies somehow.

These things could be accomplished by looking for soldier locations, then finding frontiersmen to help eliminate them, just sneaking around, or some other thing you guys can probably figure out. I would advise using help tests to your advantage to make up for any faults you might have with dealing with this situation.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 30, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Thomas Aquinas - GP: 3 || TP: 3/3/3 | 4/4/4/4 | Guard: 9

Tom was about to explain himself when the voices of military men came ringing clearly through the inn. Before he could even do anything, he was let go and found himself alone again (or so he thought, at least). For a moment, Tom hesitated. He wanted to help. He should go help.

"What are you going to do? You don't even have a weapon. The only thing you'd do is get in the way." A colder, more rational part of him spoke up. "You can't save everyone. Focus, Tom. Get out of here, find Mako, and get your Gear. That's your best bet if you want to help the people of Byfair, not harebrained heroics!"

Shaking his head, Tom sighed. It was true, there wasn't much he could do right now. His best bet was making a swift exit and beginning his search. Not wasting any more time, Tom began to scan his surroundings, looking through doors and windows while trying to avoid exposing himself. If any of the soldiers caught him, he'd be in deep trouble. There had to be a blind spot to their surveillance, somewhere, and he would find it!

Tom rolls Awareness to see if he can spot where the soldiers are before making his getaway and gets a 3. Coupled with his Awareness of 5 and an Advantage from his Combat skill, that makes a 10, enough to notice the attackers!

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yi Ersan: Defense:9p/9m TP 3/3/3 | 5/5/5 | GP: 2

Foolish, foolish. Yi sighs. Their own fault. They failed to know the enemy.

They look at the soldiers. "I have no idea what you're talking about. I am just a weary traveler, far from home."

They kneel as if to surrender, hands going up- and then extend their legs and leap, feet slamming into a small ledge on the side of the building, leaping again, progressing upwards between the two buildings in the manner of a mountain goat.

Hopefully too fast for the soldiers to track.

Foolish, foolish.

KZA: 15 (1d10+6=9) Athletics to bail hard.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Dahlia Kotilainen - GP: 1 | Defense: 10 | 4/4/4

Great. Now what? The nearest one is almost directly below her, if she times her jump just right... she'd still break both of her legs even if she did manage to hit him somehow. Ersan is moving to surrender. There has to be something she can...

"Freeze! Nobody move!"

Dahlia stiffens up at the shouted command. The voice sounds familiar... wait a drat second, that was her voice! She just taunted the trained killers with guns! What the hell is she thinking?!

(Unskilled Deception to hopefully distract them without her voice cracking.

<Krysmbot> BitchtitsMcGee, 3+3 = 6

Foolish, foolish.)

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

GP: 1 | 1/4/4

Yuka swats away Charlie's hand, looks back and sighs at him before going on alone.

-----

Yuka cranks her head up to the ceiling, hearing a woman shouting. She whispers, "Dahlia?" She glances down the hall. "And Yi's gone too..." At least she still has the two boys. "We need to jet. But before we go, Tom?"

She puts her hand on Tom's cheek. "You feelin' alright? Stay sharp, K? And Charlie?"

She takes Charlie by the shoulders and stares into his eyes. "Whatever happens out there, please don't do anything reckless." She breaks off, chuckling under her breath. "What am I saying? You'll be fine. Hey." She takes stock of his face again, only this time her focus is something far behind him, like glimpsing through a pin prick in his forehead and seeing halfway across town.

"When your back's against the wall... You'll pull through. I know it."

Providence (Awareness): 1d10+4+2 14

Taking 3 damage to give (*flips coin*) Charlie a Blessing for later.

She backs up and covers her mouth with her hands. Her furled brows hide a glint of sadness. She gulps up her courage and stretches her arms down at her side. "See anything, Tom?"

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 30, 2014

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Charlie Mannheim

"I, uh...thanks." Charlie felt a little different - like something was looking out for him, although it was just a hunch. Almost like believing in a guardian angel, but not quite.

He looked over to Tom, expectantly. "We've gotta have a game plan here, man. Plus we need to find Dahlia, Yi, and Mako - divided we fall and all that, right?"

He tried to flash his winning smile, but it seemed a bit hollow with the war raging around them.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Yi and Dahlia

One of the soldiers shouts somehing out loud and clear.

"Enemy Contact!"

Then, all hell breaks loose and the sound of gunfire cracks through the air. Bullets head towards Yi and Dahlia fist, but then...

Yuka, Charlie, and Thomas

As you hear gunfire open up at the other end of the building. The portly innkeeper shouts something out as he cocks his rifle.

"Leave those children alone you BASTARDS!"

"New hostile!"

Then, gunfire erupts through the wall separating the kitchen, where the Inn Keeper had been, and the front hall.

When the gunfire stops, all that lies beyond the wall is dead silence.... It might be time to leave or hide.

Yi and Dahlia

As you both take shelter from the gunfire being levelled at the rooftop you both find yourselves, you hear a loud rumbling sound and it grows louder and louder. It sounds like an approaching machine.

And it is most assuredly a BIG one.

Alright, because of the volatile nature of the situation... EVERYBODY'S getting shot at.

Charlie and Thomas both take no damage, Yi takes 4 damage, Yuka takes 3 damage, and Dahlia takes 7(!) damage.

I'm giving Dahlia a GP for putting herself out there and because holy poo poo, that's a lot of damage.

After that, knowing the general position of the soldiers will help when it comes to leaving or hiding from the soldiers who thin you're hostile. It'd help to meet up with Yi and Dahlia too, of course.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Yi Ersan: Defense:9p/9m TP 3/3/3 | 0/3/5 | GP: 1

Yi arrives just as Dahlia collapses, shot. "Tch. Irritating."

They kneel at her side, moving to pick her up and carry her with them- but as they touch her something begins to flow. "Wh- what..."

Fingers to the points on the side of the spine. Express the energy.

Yi's not sure what it is, but it feels right.

They push. And with a gasp, Dahlia returns to full consciousness. Yi nearly faints in trade, but their warrior's constitution- and the sure knowledge they are still in a war zone- keeps them on their feet. "Come on. We've no time to lie around."

I'll figure it out later, they think. Time to go.

Spending my just earned GP to activate Somatics, reviving Dahlia from her faint (BTMG already rolled a failure on his save.) Yi takes damage from it but makes their save, remaining up and free to move.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

GP: 1 | 0/2/4

<Krysmbot> RWT, 9+4 = 13

A bullet embeds itself in Yuka's left thigh. She's really feeling the pain, but she at least knows she's not dead yet. She immediately grips the wound and makes herself scarce.

She hisses, "Stay calm, keep an eye out. On me! Agh!" She huffs like she's blowing smoke and drags herself toward the front door. "Just stay alert! Yi and Dahlia can't be far. We'll--ergh! We'll find them."

Using Yuka's Leadership to give Tom and Charlie some Advantages.

<Krysmbot> RWT, 7+8 = 15

That's two for each of you.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Thomas Aquinas - GP: 3 || TP: 0/3/3 | 4/4/4/4 | Guard: 9

"We can't just go on ahead without knowing what we're dealing with! Charlie, you help Yuka get around, she can't walk with a shot up leg. I'll go on ahead and see if I can't find the people we're missing!" It was strange, but the bullets flying around did little to unnerve Tom now that he had an objective in mind. This new development was a problem, an obstacle he was meant to overcome. Looking at it that guy, it didn't seem so scary, even if he was still gambling with his life. It was almost like a game. Almost. "Games aren't so insane." He murmured as he slipped out of the inn.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Charlie GP: 1 | DEF: 8 | PLOT ARMOR: 4/4/4

Without hesitating or thinking, he moves to Yuka, throwing an arm around her shoulder to support her gait. He hesitates, unsure if he should attempt to lift the wounded woman, then errs on the side of the last time she smacked him, and prudently refrains from that course of action.

"It's okay, you're gonna be fine! We can get you to a doctor! Or...a medic. Or something."

He offers a small smile and a half-hearted chuckle. "Worse comes to worse, we do have an engineer handy...Sorry, bad joke. Terrible joke. What now, Yuka? Out the door's a great start, but, uh...there's kind of a lot of lead flyin' around, and you're already a little dinged up."

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Dahlia Kotilainen - GP: 2 | Defense: 10 | 0/1/4

Not more than a second after Yi has laid hands on her, Dahlia opens her eyes and looks directly at her benefactor. "You did that. That's what you can do." Was that supposed to be a question?

She breaks the gaze and pushes herself up to standing, testing her limbs while glancing around for any clues to the source of the rumbling. "Downstairs. Regroup."

(I thought I'd posted this a loving week ago. :negative:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

GP: 1 | 0/2/4

Yuka had a hand on Charlie's arm to hold herself up, but when Charlie mentions her being "dinged up" she digs her nails into his elbow and sneers, "I'm fine." She accents this by slinking her arm through the young man's grip and forces it under his armpit. "You're getting winded. Here-rgh." She wraps his other arm on her shoulder, tugging his hand down to her hip. Her teeth grinds against the pain as they go.

It looks like Yuka's the one doing the pulling, but she's still leaning on Charlie. She just wants to keep control.

• Locked thread