Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tollymain posted:

i mean basically a game about being bumbling incompetent "bad" guys

While probably hard to convert to pokemon, Better Angels is basically that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
A game about dimension hoppers where characters have skill lists for all dimensions, plus a special unique ability.

Certain roll combinations can randomly change dimension, so two ninjas could be battling on top of a rooftop only to find themselves as salarymen on top of a bullet train, with their ninja weapons replaced by merchandise.

Players are X-versal problem solvers, trying to stop some combination of events which destroy everything.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Trollhawke posted:

A game about dimension hoppers where characters have skill lists for all dimensions, plus a special unique ability.

Certain roll combinations can randomly change dimension, so two ninjas could be battling on top of a rooftop only to find themselves as salarymen on top of a bullet train, with their ninja weapons replaced by merchandise.

Players are X-versal problem solvers, trying to stop some combination of events which destroy everything.

drat you, DECADE!

I actually really like this one. You can do some weird-rear end setpieces where the dimension keeps shifting on the players while they're in the middle of something. "Well, the air ripples strangely, and now the safe you were cracking in a warehouse is the computer in your nan's den. You're pretty sure those gangsters are still coming for you. One of you is currently a golden retriever."

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I want a setting that has Twerk Wizards and Muscle Wizards.

Speaking of settings, I want PbtA/Dungeon World splatbooks for old-rear end D&D campaign settings from the TSR that nobody's actually making new poo poo out of anymore:

Al Qadim
Birthright (a tie-in with Dungeon World Mass Combat, whenever it comes out, is appropriate)
Dragonlance (Fifth OR Third age, both extremely different tones)
Mystara
Spelljammer (i think this actually got filled by Dungeon Planet, though)

Any other non-official campaign settings could make for some excellent splatbooks too, like Empire of the Petal Throne or low-tech Dungeon World.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

aldantefax posted:

Spelljammer (i think this actually got filled by Dungeon Planet, though)

IMO Dungeon Planet is more Flash Gordon style, BUT Goon-made Inverse World is literally Spelljammer with a twist.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Error 404 posted:

IMO Dungeon Planet is more Flash Gordon style, BUT Goon-made Inverse World is literally Spelljammer with a twist.

You know I'm reading through it right now and it's not the Spelljammer I'm thinking of, mostly because everything takes place on one planet as opposed to outer space with extremely silly fantasy spaceships. I'm only halfway through that book though so maybe Gnome and co. can prove me wrong!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

aldantefax posted:

You know I'm reading through it right now and it's not the Spelljammer I'm thinking of, mostly because everything takes place on one planet as opposed to outer space with extremely silly fantasy spaceships. I'm only halfway through that book though so maybe Gnome and co. can prove me wrong!

As written Inverse World takes place on the one planet (well inside it, to be literal) and floating around inside that planet are different islands.

My assertion is that even moreso than Dungeon Planet, it's pretty easy to make IW's islands = planets, and flying around inside a hollow world in weird fantasy airships = flying through space in weird fantasy spaceships.

But that's just my opinion.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
A fox and hounds type game where one player is a superspy, or some other "protagonist type", who must make his way from one end of a map to the other. The protagonist is hounded by "henchmen", controlled by the other players, who have access to a different and noticeably lesser move pool than the protagonist, and must use what abilities they have to wear down, box in, and neutralize the protagonist. The game should be balanced so that the henchmen can, in theory, always win given infinite time to consider the next move...and then each move should be very tightly and strictly timed so that the henchmen players can't take too long in collaboration and the protagonist player can't spend five minutes considering where to move next.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was playing around with this Nested application from the guy that made Cookie Clicker and it seems like if it were fleshed out and themed just a little bit more you could use it as a starting point for a dynamically generated universe/world/campaign/adventure/dungeon/NPC/item

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
A game idea I had a few years ago when this thing was first discovered:

Cast away from it's dock by the Japanese earthquake and tsunami of 2011 the Ryou-Un Maru has been discovered by the crew of a tugboat crossing international waters. They are given orders to take it to shore, which is days away carrying a load that large. The ship has made no contact since it was lost and no one knows if anything, or anyone, is still aboard.

Playing it as a Dread game.

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
I liked how the novel Forever Peace dealt with what is basically a technological rapture. In the near-ish future the first world nations use computer-brain interfaces to mind meld squads of soldiers so they can fight what is basically the War on Terror. But it turns out the burgeoning field of nano-technology means that nearly anyone with a lab could destroy the world so violence, even on a personal level, isn't really permissible anymore. Fortunately, it turns out that if a person stays linked with another for too long, the visceral empathy of literally being inside another's mind, carries over outside of the link and leaves a person incapable of killing or even seriously hurting another human, but otherwise leaves their personality unchanged.

Anyone have any good hooks or ideas for planetary romance?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

wallawallawingwang posted:

I liked how the novel Forever Peace dealt with what is basically a technological rapture. In the near-ish future the first world nations use computer-brain interfaces to mind meld squads of soldiers so they can fight what is basically the War on Terror. But it turns out the burgeoning field of nano-technology means that nearly anyone with a lab could destroy the world so violence, even on a personal level, isn't really permissible anymore. Fortunately, it turns out that if a person stays linked with another for too long, the visceral empathy of literally being inside another's mind, carries over outside of the link and leaves a person incapable of killing or even seriously hurting another human, but otherwise leaves their personality unchanged.

If time dilation + romance is your wheelhouse you can always look into some anime inspirations (Voices of A Distant Star is what comes to mind, followed by Gunbuster). Unless you are talking about celestial bodies making star babies, in which case, NASA?

Dec 26, 2012

Can you even comprehend what happens when two planets start talking, and getting to know each other better, and want to start getting to know each other even better? poo poo goes wild on both, gravity's a motherfucker like that, and that can't happen. Now for a good while Earth and Mars got kept apart enough that this poo poo didn't become a problem, but wouldn't you know, some rear end in a top hat fell asleep on the job and Mars made a break for it. You had better get Mars safely home again before the tidal waves cause any more damage or the moon gets any ideas.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Probably about 50% of the Mars roleplaying books that have ever been published are about Barsoom with the serial numbers filed off, so that's a start. (Heck, even Pathfinder's default campaign setting has "these are for planetary romance adventures" versions of Venus and Mars.)

The old "man of action teleported to another world" trope works well even today (see its popular variant Stargate), but I think it might be more interesting to play it from the point of view of that "other world" and have the players react to these strange offworlders.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

When the clouds roll in, everyone goes inside. They lock their cars, bring in their pets if they can, call in the kids. By the time the first drops hit the ground, everyone's indoors. The young folks close the windows, block out the rain. The old folks stare out into it. They know it won't be long before they're part of the crowd out there, staring in.

There's an old railway junction at the end of town. The local kids hang out there, despite (or because of) parental warnings to avoid it. They smoke, talk about their bizarre music, and generally treat it as a place adults aren't allowed to go. Last adult who tried was Mr. Donaldson, the chemistry teacher from the high school. The cops officially ruled it as a suicide, but the kids say it was the raccoons that live down there. But why would a raccoon use a noose?

David Wilson is the town drunk. He's also the Chief of Police. The other officers tip-toe around him because he's a mean, mean drunk, but they don't do anything about him. Most of them are happy just driving around in the patrol car and doing the sort of community police work expected in this little town. There's a new guy, though, from the 'Cities. He's keen, driven, and looking to make his name. The other officers know they've gotta keep an eye on him.

World of Darkness: Heartland. A series of adventures set in the small towns and farmland of Minnesota, Iowa, and the other "flyover" states.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Most of these bits were stolen and reinterpreted from some posts made on the Blog of Holding, here.

Snowy-capped peaks that see the sun remain as the only points of light of civilization. Airships skirt the cloud seas, but those who descend to the world below never return. What lies there? A terrifying wilderness full of undead and twisted men, swaps overrun with dinosaurs, and other frightening monsters besides. Rumors abound that a church sent crusaders to establish a foothold. What is the reason that the associated races of Good are above, and Evil below?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Some ideas I've had over the years:

Play by post single character CYOA. You awaken from cryo sleep on a starship that is barely functioning. The game mechanics revolve around making repairs/jury-rigging the ships power system to access new parts of the ship. The ship and the other passengers, crew, etc would be mapped out in advance and move about the ship as the player does, and your choices effect what happens to them. Example: You need X amount of undistributed energy on the grid to activate a door, and you've made what changes you can in your area but you've come up short. Fortunately this panel has some of the life support controls routed to it, and you can just kill life support to the maintence tunnels, freeing up plenty of energy to actvate the door controls! Shame about the survivors that were trapped in there, whose corpse you'll find later...

Hell Game. The players are the lowest order of the damned in the Hells. Status and power is based on the number of souls you "own". Your objective is to balance collecting souls, hoarding them for trading, buying equipment and artifacts, gifting them to more powerful demons as tribute, and devouring them to make yourself bigger, stronger, and more supernaturally powerful.

A total conversion of the Maid RPG, where the players are classical bearded rear end in a top hat Wizards. I actually have a partially complete design document for this one. Mostly it's rewritting the tables to remove the eww.

Thief, the CYOA, built using the Choice of Games programming language. Live out the life of a professional cutpurse. Are you a Brutal Thug, a violent home invader branded a serial killer by the authorites: or a Rougish Gentleman swooned over by rich heirs and heiresses, endlessly hounded by Interpol or dogged by a particularly inept inspector that nevertheless keeps stumbling on to your trail?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Daemones ex Machina

The Machine rose and overthrew Mankind. Flesh and bone were not strong enough to stand against ceramic and steel. We overcame Superstition with Rationality long ago, but Rationality in turn overcame us in the end. Thankfully, just as they failed to completely annihilate us, so did we our darkest irrational fears.

Now we fight our once-servants with our oldest foes. We destroy the demons we created with the help of the demons we tried to forget, and hope that slick golden oil-ichor and humming power cores are acceptable substitutes for the price once paid in blood and hearts.

Those who descend into the depths of the Machine to kill its thousand hearts do not hope to return. Even if they survive, will what returns still be them? Or simply demons newly freed of their humanity, climbing out of the carcass of the machine?

tl;dr humanity fights AM/Skynet with the rediscovered arts of diabolism.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Tollymain posted:

tl;dr humanity fights AM/Skynet with the rediscovered arts of diabolism.

Have I got a World of Darkness game for you!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i know about that game, but that's more like the digital part of the matrix and spycraft and poo poo and also you play as straight up demons. this is different, and also i have written like 2/3 or maybe 3/4 of it in the last few hours :stare:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
last night i wrote like 80% of an abstract wargame that i don't dare look at yet, i can only hope this is a trend

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I tried making an FTL RPG for my friends to play.I obviously ripped off a lot of poo poo from FTL the game. Everything's untested and I'm just spit-ballin' here.

Movement and actions use the same pool of resources, which I've been calling effort, energy, or time. You get 10 effort each turn. Moving a square costs an effort. Systems need effort put in to work. So you can move three squares to the engines and put in 7 seconds of time to try and power up the engines. Depending on how you roll for your skill, your roll can add or detract from the effort you put in. So if you are skilled in the engines and roll well, you get bonus effort put in to powering the engines.

Every character will have skill sets. They have a rank in, say, 4 skills and they just have to roll above that number to pass. Right now I just have "Rank 7, Rank 9, Rank 11, Rank 13" and they would fill in what skill they want in there. Obviously lower number ranks are better. Anything untrained is treated as rank 15 or so? But I want to have a sliding system of success based on rolls. Something that I've been wanting to do that I mentioned above is to add bonuses based on how well/poorly you roll. So even if you gently caress up a roll pretty badly, you could still put in effort to a system so your turn isn't wasted. Anyway, the numbers I've been thinking of using are, for every 2 above what's required, you get +1 effort, and for every 1 below, you get -2 effort. That seems kind of a harsh difference in bonuses and penalties, but I really just wanted to take away the sting of a failed roll. It would also, in my mind at least, make rolling a natural 20 even more satisfying.

Like I said, the specific numbers will have to be changed, but I like the idea of the players being those little dudes in the ship running around trying to figure out what to do.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

quote:

[14:57:47] <&FAAAX[ofc]> theme song for my first feng shui 2 game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCKDvjVzpNQ
[14:58:31] <&FAAAX[ofc]> black knight 2000 is actually a dimensional anchor to the otherworld and the jammers are trying to seize pinball machines in 1980 in order to control probability outcome of the future
[14:58:45] <&FAAAX[ofc]> THE SECRET WAR RAGES ON

edit: the phrase "I AM THE BLACK KNIGHT" uttered in the game is actually a hypnosis trigger to unleash latent chi energies in rare individuals. Other factions in the Secret War also use these pinball machines as aptitude tests to see if acolytes are ready to join the fight...

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This guy:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23731

Stanley G Weinbaum is one of the best writers in that genre, he'd be one of the grandmasters if he'd kept writing. His stuff is in public domain, go nuts.

• Locked thread