Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Dango Bango posted:

I completely agree with Kyle. What a bummer to spend all that time training Frigimon just to have him die once you actually are able to start progressing in the game. I would've broken this game disc by now.
I totally called it, too. All that PSP training brought poor Frigimon to Death's door. 13 is an awfully young age to kick it, though. I thought most Digimon lived to be around 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Lamprey Cannon posted:

I'm pretty sure Coelamon is supposed to be pronounced "See-la mon", like the coelacanth. Also, what with the misplaced nostalgia for a bunch of old styles of game, I'm surprised there hasn't been some sort of modern retro version of this. There must be somebody out there deluded enough to think this experience needs to be brought to the next generation.

Actually the most recent Digimon World (Re Digitize) used the same system as this game. It didn't leave Japan, although there are some fan translations projects.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Okay, I think I missed something along the line. How did you learn those Fire techniques? You used Spinning Shot with Greymon and surely you didn't learn them with Frigimon.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
jack handey owns

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

Okay, I think I missed something along the line. How did you learn those Fire techniques? You used Spinning Shot with Greymon and surely you didn't learn them with Frigimon.

He learned Spinning shot from the Yanmamon in the jungle and the fire techs from the Ancient domain when he had Greymon.

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
You guys like Digimon and Twitter guys like Love_That_Goku. Are you also fans of DigimonOtis?

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Part 17

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Champions can live 13 to 15 days, if they hit ultimate they can reach up to 20

Angemon is a great digimon to get!
Andromon is pretty doable ultimate, imho, to met the requirements for right from the beginning of the game but you might want to do some or most of the training off screen
I think as long as you meet the stat requirements you should be good?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I've got mixed feelings on Angemon. On one end, he was great in the anime. On the other, he was absolute garbage in DW3. Does he lean closer to the former or the latter here?

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Aw, Frigimon! Good afternoon, sweet prince. :(

Angemon is pretty disturbing to me. You're a stubby little child, sucked into a toy, and you've had a series of cute/cool monsters. One moment, you had a cute little thingie bouncing after you, and the next, you have a motherfuckin' six-winged angel warrior man following you ... but you still have to feed him meat from the meat farm and take him to the bathroom so he doesn't poo poo right on the ground. :stare:

I guess I'm just weirded out that a little pokemon-looking critter turned right into a pet person.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

I've got mixed feelings on Angemon. On one end, he was great in the anime. On the other, he was absolute garbage in DW3. Does he lean closer to the former or the latter here?

Magna Angemon had the best voice.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

A quick note and question. Usually that tamer rank up you get happens when you get your first ultimate level digimon, but some champions seem to trigger it as well? Angemon did, and I recall Birdramon triggering it on two different occasions. Anyone know what's up with that? It wasn't number of digimon raised either, they were on different files and different number of rebirths.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Arcade Rabbit posted:

A quick note and question. Usually that tamer rank up you get happens when you get your first ultimate level digimon, but some champions seem to trigger it as well? Angemon did, and I recall Birdramon triggering it on two different occasions. Anyone know what's up with that? It wasn't number of digimon raised either, they were on different files and different number of rebirths.

Tamer level is a bit weird, I've sometimes gotten it from getting my first Champion and sometimes I need to get several Champions or a Ultimate instead for some reason. v:v:v

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I guess I'll just choke it up to this game's usual brand of weirdness. Like, for instance, how every guide I've read has claimed you need zero care mistakes to get Angemon and yet here he is with 4-5. Oh, and on the subject of stuff I've read in guides, having Angemon die might be a good thing. If he falls in battle I believe there is a 50% of him slide evolving to Devimon. Or so I've heard.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I guess I'll just choke it up to this game's usual brand of weirdness. Like, for instance, how every guide I've read has claimed you need zero care mistakes to get Angemon and yet here he is with 4-5.

Keep in mind a bonus condition can replace one of the requirements.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Geostomp posted:

He gets Air techs here, which is really all you need. Air or Water will stomp the whole game.

And yeah, I usually let my Angemon die after clearing the Ice Sanctuary so I can go do Grey Lord's Manor right after (and get Thunder Justice in there)

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They got a tamer level when they died and got Bakumon or something way earlier in the game, but they reloaded and lost it.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I guess it's related to how many different types of Digimon you've had.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Looks like for the 15th anniversary of the anime, Toei is continuing the story of Season 1 of Digimon.

http://digimon-adventure.net/eng/

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Arcade Rabbit posted:

It's pretty much random. Their tamer level went up when they got that tyrannomon and reset the game. Getting an ultimate pretty much guarantees a tamer level increase though.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I guess I'll just choke it up to this game's usual brand of weirdness. Like, for instance, how every guide I've read has claimed you need zero care mistakes to get Angemon and yet here he is with 4-5. Oh, and on the subject of stuff I've read in guides, having Angemon die might be a good thing. If he falls in battle I believe there is a 50% of him slide evolving to Devimon. Or so I've heard.

Getting a champion means meeting any 3 of its 4 requirements (Stats, Weight, Care Mistakes and Bonus Conditions). K&K missed the care mistakes requirement but they met the bonus (which was to have a patamon).

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Desfore posted:

Looks like for the 15th anniversary of the anime, Toei is continuing the story of Season 1 of Digimon.

http://digimon-adventure.net/eng/

that video posted:

"These Digimons were always with us"
random capitalization

Come on, for a big release they can't even get someone to do basic editing?

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 4, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose this whole thing does kind of serve as your podcast, but you're welcome to cut out as much training as you like.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Glazius posted:

I suppose this whole thing does kind of serve as your podcast, but you're welcome to cut out as much training as you like.

It rides a fine line between hilarious and infuriating when you're half an hour into a video and they're still arguing between what digimon they are going towards

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
The other day, I was listening to the classical music station in the car, and the soothing announcer said "Good afternoon" as he signed off. And Digimon popped into my head and I made the little hand motion. Thanks for infiltrating my brain, guys.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I just marathon'd this. Now I really want the 3DS game to come out in english.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Improbable Lobster posted:

I just marathon'd this. Now I really want the 3DS game to come out in english.

Apparently there is a fan translation that is almost completely finished

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Somethingdumb posted:

Apparently there is a fan translation that is almost completely finished

It's the PSP version though, the 3DS one is like a Final Mix version of it with more stuff and that.

Ophiotaurus
Aug 3, 2014
Ah yes, I've played so many hours of this game. Rented the game many years ago, and couldn't get anything but Numemon for hours. Then I somehow lucked out with a Tyranomon, and got even luckier to have him reach MetalGreymon. After that I fell in love with Digimon World, and went out to EB Games to grab the only copy they had left. My friend even gave me the Official Prima Strategy guide, which I guess was helpful enough, but it left out quite a bit of information saying, "Hey man, we don't want to ruin the surprises for you!".

I remember my first Frigimon, too. Unfortunately he got spawn trapped by a 5,000HP boss the game can blind-side you with. Bought a gameshark just to beat that guy. Didn't beat the game legit until OFS made his LP, and then I finished on my 3rd digimon with a little help of broken trading systems and lots of revives. The game is full of fun times and even funner surprises! (namely being stuck in the backgrounds and game freezing juke boxes)

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
finnish digimon is my new favourite thing

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Part 18

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Let's Play Dr. Digiwho

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I managed to find Polar flavored seltzer at a few stores down in VA, but no Half & Half or Orange Dry, sadly. (And nothing at all in CA, unsurprisingly.) Probably just as well, though, since I really don't need to be drinking a whole liter of either one. Definitely my favorite seltzer, though. So many flavors!

I was going to say something about the only episode of Dr. Who I've ever seen, which was the first one, except then I realized that I haven't seen ANY Dr. Who and I was thinking of the one episode I've seen of Sherlock. Oh well, whatever.

Also, digimon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zhpipM8Cc8

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

I disagree with most of Keith's Doctor Who opinions, but still enjoyed the Who talk.

edit: I've enjoyed both season 8 episodes for the most part, but one absolutely awful thing about the new season is the new opening credits sequence. Terrible.

Gandalf21 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 7, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gandalf21 posted:

edit: I've enjoyed both season 8 episodes for the most part, but one absolutely awful thing about the new season is the new opening credits sequence. Terrible.

This is a certified Grade A wrong opinion

But yeah Keith is being really harsh on the new season. I don't think the writers have really hit on Capaldi's style but there are some shining moments.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This is a certified Grade A wrong opinion

But yeah Keith is being really harsh on the new season. I don't think the writers have really hit on Capaldi's style but there are some shining moments.

The clocks just aren't doing it for me.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Catherine Tate grinds on my every nerve. I went cross-eyed when Carberry said Donna was the best companion.

Give me Rose any day. Maybe I like her more for the effect she had on the Doctor than anything. Plus she's plucky as gently caress.

"...I believe in her!"

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Captain Lavender posted:

Catherine Tate grinds on my every nerve. I went cross-eyed when Carberry said Donna was the best companion.

Give me Rose any day. Maybe I like her more for the effect she had on the Doctor than anything. Plus she's plucky as gently caress.

"...I believe in her!"

I absolutely agree with Keith, for the reason that after three seasons of companions who were so smitten with the Doctor, who believed he could do no wrong and were so awed by every little thing that he did, Donna was just completely unimpressed. Somebody who would just not take the Doctor's poo poo at face value was fantastic.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Lamprey Cannon posted:

I absolutely agree with Keith, for the reason that after three seasons of companions who were so smitten with the Doctor, who believed he could do no wrong and were so awed by every little thing that he did, Donna was just completely unimpressed. Somebody who would just not take the Doctor's poo poo at face value was fantastic.

Yeah, I'm really down with Donna for the same reason. It's actually another reason why I like where this season's going: she was definitely infatuated with the past Doctor, but now that he looks so much older she's much more judgemental of him. I appreciate how she has a pretty honest reaction to regeneration, and I also just find it amusing that she only put up with his bullshit because he was cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah, I'm really down with Donna for the same reason. It's actually another reason why I like where this season's going: she was definitely infatuated with the past Doctor, but now that he looks so much older she's much more judgemental of him. I appreciate how she has a pretty honest reaction to regeneration, and I also just find it amusing that she only put up with his bullshit because he was cute.

I think also that they keep writing him to be stupid? And that's really annoying? After watching the most recent episode I'm convinced they're trying to do a 'Look at how imperfect the doctor is' sort of thing, but they're doing that by just making him a stupid rear end and, I don't know, that's a super weird direction to take the show. The Doctor doesn't need to be a total idiot to be imperfect and to grow.

And swordfighting with a spoon? Get the gently caress out of here with that nonsense.

• Locked thread