Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's next year's winner?
This poll is closed.
UCI Anteaters, bitch. 15 11.63%
Rutgers 10 7.75%
Southern Utah 1 0.78%
Some Stupid Big Name Team 58 44.96%
Dunk City, magically 26 20.16%
Florida International 0 0%
Cinderella University 10 7.75%
Harvard 9 6.98%
Total: 129 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
Derrick Gordon, UMass guard, has publicly come out as gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

^^Why is that on espnW

Macintyre posted:

Cancer loving sucks. 8 years old is such a terribly short life.

Not if you're a great dane

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MourningView posted:

Well in this case why practice anything?

A lot of being a good free throw shooter comes down to shooting free throws over and over and over until you find a routine that works and it becomes just a matter of muscle memory. It's like anything else, if you practice it enough you're probably going to get better at it. Guys should be shooting tons of them at the end of every practice and encouraged to do it more when they're just goofing around shooting on their own. Maybe it's not the most important part of the game but just giving away free points is a pretty good way to blow an otherwise winnable game.

I only did community-style basketball as a kid, but wouldn't ending practice with free-throws be the best warm-down exercise?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Ending practice is when you get to run sprints until you throw up, I thought?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
That's really sweet of Dick Vitale to donate 250K in Lacey's name.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Why do they turn on comments for articles like this?

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Kidd-Liggit posted:

I for one am glad athletes are feeling more comfortable doing this recently it seems.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
well thank god he waited until he transferred from Western Kentucky. That might have been pretty bad.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
It's not like Bowling Green is the Deep South. If Michael Sam did okay in Missouri, he'd do okay at WKU. (Not to say Bowling Green is as liberal as Columbia, of course.)

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
I just meant for purely selfish reasons, not necessarily that he'd be in some sort of danger. I don't want to have to hear legions of dipshits calling in to local radio shows or read op-eds from dipshits, or see facebook updates from the dumb wings of my family about how this is just a further attempt to turn everyone gay or something equally as idiotic.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of Kentucky radio shows, how much fun did the DJs there have making fun of all the people calling in for Cal to be fired back in February during the tourney? I bet those were amusing times.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Our boy Drake is hosting the ESPYs. He now gets to every team all at the same time on TV.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Probably Magic posted:

Speaking of Kentucky radio shows, how much fun did the DJs there have making fun of all the people calling in for Cal to be fired back in February during the tourney? I bet those were amusing times.

I have no idea but I sure hope they had a lot of fun. That really bugged me.

Then again I have way lower standards for the basketball team than the average UK fan as far as I can tell. I thought we were doing okay under Gillispie. :ohdear:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MourningView posted:

Well in this case why practice anything?

A lot of being a good free throw shooter comes down to shooting free throws over and over and over until you find a routine that works and it becomes just a matter of muscle memory. It's like anything else, if you practice it enough you're probably going to get better at it. Guys should be shooting tons of them at the end of every practice and encouraged to do it more when they're just goofing around shooting on their own. Maybe it's not the most important part of the game but just giving away free points is a pretty good way to blow an otherwise winnable game.

Exactly. It's some of the highest-pressure stuff in the sport. Everyone is looking at you. The other team's fans are making a lot of noise. It's just you out there. You practice over and over so that the pressure effects you less and it's all autopilot. You feel the pressure a lot less when your arms seem to move on their own. (Not a basketball player, but I was a boxer, and there's a reason trainers would have us toss a ton of basic punches and defenses all the time. Gotta make it automatic).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

Ending practice is when you get to run sprints until you throw up, I thought?

You shoot free throws and then run until you puke if someone misses.

Our stupid center always missed.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Sooooo, apparently that shirt Drake was wearing is a James Young shirt, and the picture that's been floating around was taken before the game.

While we can still agree he makes bad music, he may not be as bad of a sports flopper as we hoped. :smith:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

While we can still agree he makes bad music

We cannot, actually.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Basil Hayden posted:

I have no idea but I sure hope they had a lot of fun. That really bugged me.

Then again I have way lower standards for the basketball team than the average UK fan as far as I can tell. I thought we were doing okay under Gillispie. :ohdear:

I think Gillispie's biggest failing was that he didn't understand the culture around UK basketball. If Calipari leaves at any point, it's going to be really hard to find a coach who has his savvy for being the "community leader" that UK fans expect from their coach. It's not enough to just be a decent coach at UK.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

We cannot, actually.

Do you hold any non terrible opinions?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Do you hold any non terrible opinions?

Almost all of them

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
NEXT TIME WE gently caress I DONT WANNA gently caress I WANNA MAKE LOOOOVE. NEXT TIME WE TALK I DONT JUST WANNA TALK I WANNA TRUUUST.

lol

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Not a lot of new friends for Drake in this thread

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

No respect for that sparkle motion

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

How the thread turn into the Drake show?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Jon Horford is transferring from Michigan for his final year. He will be eligible to play immediately due to the grad school transfer rule.

This somewhat implies that McGary is returning for his Junior season.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Regnevelc posted:

Jon Horford is transferring from Michigan for his final year. He will be eligible to play immediately due to the grad school transfer rule.

This somewhat implies that McGary is returning for his Junior season.

And GRIII and Nik Stauskas and Michigan is getting a secret 5* big man in!!!

Realistically this probably means he believes the Donnal hype from practice? It's hard for me to imagine he'd leave if he thought he'd have playing time next year.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Marquis de Pyro posted:

And GRIII and Nik Stauskas and Michigan is getting a secret 5* big man in!!!

Realistically this probably means he believes the Donnal hype from practice? It's hard for me to imagine he'd leave if he thought he'd have playing time next year.

Yeah, that's my general line of thinking but then again Horford has always been kind of an odd duck, in a good way, and so who knows if basketball even had anything to do with this.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Bingo. It could be anything from wanting to get away from an ex to wanting to play near family to missing some local restaurant back home*

I doubt it really implies much about either McGary or Donnal but who knows I guess.

*I mean I know he's not Josh Smith but it could happen

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Fisticuffs posted:

Bingo. It could be anything from wanting to get away from an ex to wanting to play near family to missing some local restaurant back home*

I doubt it really implies much about either McGary or Donnal but who knows I guess.

*I mean I know he's not Josh Smith but it could happen

Well, the reason I assumed it was playing time related is that Michigan is his "home" school and he's already graduated so on the court reasons seemed the most likely. But it's certainly possible that there's something else to it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

We cannot, actually.

What the hell

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He is a completely ridiculous human being but he has had made some jams and y'all can just deal with it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

He is a completely ridiculous human being but he has had made some jams and y'all can just deal with it.

:stare: I don't even know you anymore.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Drake is an especially phony rapper in a sea of phony rappers

But anyway, Horford has spoken out about his decision to transfer: http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/04/michigan_jon_horford_transfer.html

Jon Horford posted:

"It wasn't a factor at all," he said. "I'm not at liberty to speak about it now, but I already know what Mitch is going to do. Mitch has already told me. (His decision), though, wasn't a factor in my decision."

The two possibilities here look like, to me:
1. Mitch is staying AND Horford has been passed up on the depth chart by a younger player.
2. He's lying, Mitch is staying, and that is the major motivation factor in his departure.
3. Mitch is leaving AND Horford has been passed up on the depth chart by a younger player.

The way he said it makes me think Mitch is leaving and Beilein has been impressed with Donnal but who knows.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Mark Donnal is going to surprise a ton of people next year. He is that younger player that would have started over Horford.

If McGary is staying look for a lineup of:

PG - Walton
SG - LeVert
SF - Irvin/GR3
PF - Donnal
C - McGary

E: If all three stay (Stauskas, GR3, McGary) then we were over a scholarship, maybe Beilein pushed him out the door! (This is a joke).

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Am I allowed to make a joke about MV liking Drake

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah the dude who visited West Laffayette and was like "yeah that seems like a cool place to live for four years" is definitely who I want to tell me what's cool.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MourningView posted:

Yeah the dude who visited West Laffayette and was like "yeah that seems like a cool place to live for four years" is definitely who I want to tell me what's cool.

lol i was actually there for seven and a half years :I

in all seriousness i only visited ann arbor and west lafayette and i liked WL more :I

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

goldboilermark posted:

lol i was actually there for seven and a half years :I

in all seriousness i only visited ann arbor and west lafayette and i liked WL more :I

Gross. Like, Ann Arbor is not the greatest city ever but my god does it blow West Lafayette out of the water.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My tour guide for AA was horrrrrrrrrrible and it was a really crappy day when I went there. And I got a much better offer from Purdue, so I took it. I personally liked that it was more of a college town feel. It's worked out well for me, I'm sure AA has some nice places, I just didn't see any of them lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The only thing I know about Ann Arbor is that people say its basically a carbon copy of Gainesville, just in Michigan. Gainesville is as prototypical a college town as you can get.

• Locked thread