Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's next year's winner?
This poll is closed.
UCI Anteaters, bitch. 15 11.63%
Rutgers 10 7.75%
Southern Utah 1 0.78%
Some Stupid Big Name Team 58 44.96%
Dunk City, magically 26 20.16%
Florida International 0 0%
Cinderella University 10 7.75%
Harvard 9 6.98%
Total: 129 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah this and basically it would mean that MU no longer gives a poo poo about their basketball program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I mean he is a supergenius

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fisticuffs posted:

Kenny Johnson will leave Indiana's staff to join Rick Pitino at Louisville. I already hate Louisville with every fiber of my being. I am now considering picking up 5-10 lbs so that I may hate Louisville even more.

Rats jumping off a sinking ship? Crean won't be fired after next year unless IU absolutely tanks it, but he certainly is on a short leash, yeah?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
If Mike Alden gets this wrong again it will be the last coach he hires. Kim Anderson is 60 and never coached a D-1 game, and I don't know why he would even listen to Alden after being passed over three times already.

edit: Well poo poo overnight this really took off. Now I don't know what to think.

nickutz fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 22, 2014

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

goldboilermark posted:

Rats jumping off a sinking ship? Crean won't be fired after next year unless IU absolutely tanks it, but he certainly is on a short leash, yeah?

I think he is gone next year if he doesn't make the NCAAs. Especially since he got them back to back to back sweet 16s and then poo poo again.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

goldboilermark posted:

Sweet 16 rings only buy you so much time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

nickutz posted:

If Mike Alden gets this wrong again it will be the last coach he hires. Kim Anderson is 60 and never coached a D-1 game, and I don't know why he would even listen to Alden after being passed over three times already.

edit: Well poo poo overnight this really took off. Now I don't know what to think.

This is why he'd listen on top of the Missouri ties, well that and even a lowball offer from Mizzou would be a ton of money for him I'd think. But I'll believe he's being seriously considered as a candidate when he's announced as the coach.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

goldboilermark posted:

I think KJ left to become an associate head coach/lead assistant, which he couldn't do at Indiana. IU matched the money, but Tim Buckley holds the position he will fill at UL. I doubt IU misses next season, and I'm guessing everyone inside the program feels the same way so I don't think that's it.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Fisticuffs posted:

I think KJ left to become an associate head coach/lead assistant, which he couldn't do at Indiana. IU matched the money, but Tim Buckley holds the position he will fill at UL. I doubt IU misses next season, and I'm guessing everyone inside the program feels the same way so I don't think that's it.

Outside of Yogi, who comes back?

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

Outside of Yogi, who comes back?

Hanner Mosquera Perea, Devin Davis, Colin Hartman(recovering from a torn ACL so probably won't play much), Stanford Robinson, and Troy Williams. Jurkin is also back but I'm assuming he is still struggling with injuries to his lower extremities until I hear otherwise. James Blackmon Jr and Robert Johnson are incoming freshmen that should add some scoring from the perimeter but we'll see.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I'm interested if Crean can put together something that resembles an offense though. They were a mess this year.

I think if Blackmon comes in and shoots as he should they will make the NCAAs, but I see them around an 8-10 seed.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Crean's offense is a one-in, four-out set. It was actually executed pretty well and generated lots of open opportunities from the perimeter last season, as it is designed to do. It wasn't stocked with the right players and the guys we had, that were largely scared to shoot threes, often put the ball down and dribbled into the defense. That isn't a fault of the offense, which is well-designed. You can fault recruiting and execution, but the offense's design is a good one that looks a lot better when there is shooting on the perimeter. Indiana was a mess offensively this year, true, but it's not because Crean can't "design" an offense(few coaches design offenses btw, the pick and roll and screens were discovered awhile back).

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Put together an offense that fits your players then? I dunno.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Some coaches will change their offense from season to season, while some believe that continuity is more important. Crean clearly falls in the latter group as he was running the same offense he runs now when he was starting Kyle Taber in 07. Crean also believes in bringing in superior athletes and working on developing their skills, which was part of what led to a huge deficit of shooting last season.

I think some guys should improve and some shooters are being brought in which should help the offense a lot. Last season's offense was pretty terrible but I do like the nucleus of players on the roster. Hopefully last season shifted the focus between athleticism and skills somewhat, but if not he'll be canned in a year or two so w/e.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

News: Illinois player Darius Paul was arrested for resisting arrest and underage drinking after fleeing from officers on foot.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2014-04-22/ui-basketball-player-paul-arrested.html

Views: This sort of thing is totally unacceptable. Honestly I think he should be booted from the team. How do you fail to outrun a police officer as a basketball player at a high major?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fisticuffs posted:

News: Illinois player Darius Paul was arrested for resisting arrest and underage drinking after fleeing from officers on foot.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2014-04-22/ui-basketball-player-paul-arrested.html

Views: This sort of thing is totally unacceptable. Honestly I think he should be booted from the team. How do you fail to outrun a police officer as a basketball player at a high major?

At least he didn't pull a Jamar Smith.

Seriously though, whatever, college kids drink. Running from the cops was a pretty dumb mistake. Groce will probably say something about how he's disappointed and this is a learning opportunity, then run the poo poo out of him in practice for a few days, and that will be the end of it.

VV - yeah I figured you were kidding, and unless you're blacked out drunk, it's pretty shameful to be caught by the campus police

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 22, 2014

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

I doubt Paul gets more than community service at the absolute most. I'm sure Groce wouldn't do more than maybe run him in practice for such a grievous offense, I was just kidding. But seriously though getting caught by a cop on foot is embarrassing for a D1 athlete.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
ACC basketball schedule came out today. Our entire schedule looks insaaaaaane this year so thank god for that after the disaster that we had last season. I really wish IU would be better than they currently are though. I think college basketball isn't the same without a strong IU squad.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
IU will be interesting to watch next year because their offense should be sick but I'm still not sure they will be able to stop anyone. And I'm not exactly sure who is going to rebound for them.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

2014 G/F Marial Shayok, former Marquette commit, will suit up for the Virginia Cavaliers next season.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
oh my god, Missouri is going to hire Tim Floyd

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

stimpy posted:

Well I didn't want Kim Anderson I guess.

I missed where this rumor came from, it doesn't seem like an Alden hire.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
i was hoping isaiah austin would stay at baylor another year. too bad, it's official he's leaving.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

At least it's not Quin Snyder

E: I forgot you guys actually had Quin Snyder

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
nm

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 23, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Declan MacManus posted:

Tell me how, I've been trying to forget for years.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Hey, Quin led Missouri to an elite eight once (as a 12 seed) - give the man some respect.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'm done with this piece of poo poo program if they hire Tim Floyd.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I think he has a ton of interest, but Mizzou isn't showing much. At least, that's what I've read.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JRizzle posted:

I think he has a ton of interest, but Mizzou isn't showing much. At least, that's what I've read.

This makes sense, Alden's overly worried about coaches being dirty (they're all dirty and Missouri is too, but he likes to pretend that isn't the case). Something else to thank Quin for I guess.

Which makes the Haith hiring even funnier, or will in a few years when I get past how horrible it was.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

stimpy posted:

It is not hyperbole to say that that would be the worst hire of the millennium

Rock out with your cock out, Tigers

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

It is not hyperbole to say that that would be the worst hire of the millennium

Rock out with your cock out, Tigers

I dunno is Dave Bliss' show cause up yet?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

goldboilermark posted:

IU will be interesting to watch next year because their offense should be sick but I'm still not sure they will be able to stop anyone. And I'm not exactly sure who is going to rebound for them.

This is what I think about Michigan every off season. But given it's Beilein, I usually do not worry about it much.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Mizzou and Wichita State baseball played against each other last night at Kauffman stadium in Kansas City and word is that Marshall was there meeting with Alden in a private suite.

stdh.txt

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

It would be worse.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Louisville officially announced that Kenny Johnson has joined their staff today. Crean issued a statement on Johnson's departure. Chane Behanen will enter the NBA draft(lol). Alex Poythress will return to Kentucky. Indiana will take a foreign trip to beautiful Montreal in August. Beep boop.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

It would be worse.

quote:

Floyd is also known as the coach of the Chicago Bulls after Phil Jackson, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman left the team.

What an interesting way to frame that

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Dakari Johnson will return to Kentucky

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Dennis Felton is joining Haith in Tulsa lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Fisticuffs posted:

Chane Behanen will enter the NBA draft(lol).

This isn't really confirmed yet and he's halfway saying otherwise on Twitter so who knows on this.

• Locked thread