Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Saladman posted:

E: Hey, wait... literally none of the compositing toilets in the page you link have a separation for pee and poop.

Oops. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine_diversion

Maybe "composting" wasn't the right description for it, although the poop/pee is still used as a compost, just separately.

Still looks like a lovely toilet to use, though. I didn't have much faith in these things working, because they rely on being used and maintained properly, and where I lived literally nothing fell into that category. You weren't supposed to throw your trash/toilet paper into a regular pit latrine (aka, hole you poop in), but everyone did. I can picture kids just making GBS threads all over this complex system it until it breaks down completely.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

It was in Salar de Uyuni at the hot springs stop which is a second day stop in a 3 day tour so it's pretty much just tourists using it. No kids messing it up, but I doubt cranky and confused 20 somethings who are peeved about paying to use this are much better. It was either pay to use the bathroom at the hot springs or wait hours until the next pit stop which might not even have a toilet or take a poo poo in the desert so imagine forking over the bolivanos to use it and seeing this.

There were signs about not throwing TP in and "NO KAKA IN PIPI NO PIPI IN KAKA". If you've been traveling around in the region for a bit, you get used to tossing the TP in the bin because everywhere tells you to due to the plumbing being so poo poo but some tourists don't give a gently caress or are upset about paying to poo poo in this thing. They may have changed the toilets though, I googled when I saw this thread go up to make sure I didn't hallucinate seeing this and the only posts that specifically mention this are from 2010 when I went.

No idea about the splashback, didn't recall any splashback issues but I'm a ladygoon so my main concern was aligning myself so I'd go in the right holes. At least it was clean.

• Locked thread