Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

That mode looked pretty lame to me. "Do half an hour of minigames to give your character a few stat boosts in a short battle."

It is literally five minutes. Like that is the time limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Chieves posted:

Good Lord, for anybody who never had a chance to play City Trial mode in Kirby Air Ride, you really have no idea how exciting the 3DS version sounds know. I wasted so many hours on that darn mode! :allears:

I remember playing the regular air ride mode when i first got the game, then went to City Trial, and wondered why the gently caress i would play any other mode ever again. If this mode has online, I dunno if id ever want to touch anything else.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

I thought it was five minutes, then some other five minute thing where you dodge bullets, then another with some other condition, then battle.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's still an exclusive game mode for a version of the game that is releasing months early. I mean they might as well just say they're liquifying the WiiU and no longer supporting it.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
So. Smash Run. Why the hell is it only for 3DS? Is there some kind of amazing mode that's only going to be on the Wii U version instead? If there is, why didn't they say anything about it?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Sire Oblivion posted:

Or, you know, it's an actual Yoga Pose.

Ssh let me live my dream of Solaire being summoned for battle.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I really can't believe the 3DS version is releasing several loving months before the WiiU version. I guess they're REALLY in a hurry to see the WiiU fail and die. Thanks Nintendo.

I think this might actually be the best course of action, really. They release the 3DS version around the middle of the year, presumably everyone enjoys it but sort of eases off by the end of the year, and then the bigger and better WiiU version comes out to recapture everyone's attention.

If they're relying a lot on Smash Bros for the WiiU, this might be the best way to ensure the 3DS version doesn't cripple its sales in the first place. I feel like if they're released at the same time, people would only buy one, but if one's coming out later then people might be more inclined to buy it a second time.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

Goons not knowing anything about physical fitness isn't all that surprising.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Unholy Ghost posted:

So. Smash Run. Why the hell is it only for 3DS? Is there some kind of amazing mode that's only going to be on the Wii U version instead? If there is, why didn't they say anything about it?

Because every player needs their own screen for their individual Metroidvania adventures.

Whatever special Wii U mode exists, it's clearly not ready yet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's still an exclusive game mode for a version of the game that is releasing months early. I mean they might as well just say they're liquifying the WiiU and no longer supporting it.

There may be a much more expansive Wii U exclusive mode that they have yet to announce, which could factor into the delay. That it's releasing during the holiday season is also a sign they consider it the more important one.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Other's have lamented the restriction to Final Destination in Glory mode, and I agree there should be more variety like Battlefield, Smashville, ect. But will these 2 modes be our only choices for online play?

Why can't we use items on Final Destination?
What if we want one-on-one matches, for competitive purposes or to reduce latency?
Teams?
Special modes? Item switching?
What is the purpose of limiting the custom movesets to offline play? What if 'Small Firelaser Mario' winds up being the best character, and I want to practice him online?

The casual vs competitive split is a nice step, but there needs to be more. A lot of this could be addressed by adding filters/toggles for rules, number of opponents, ect. The more filters you specify, the harder it would be to find matches, but gradually players will gravitate to the more popular combinations (no items Battlefield, stamina mode Boxing Ring, ect)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

When playing with friends, all those options are yours!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

greatn posted:

I thought it was five minutes, then some other five minute thing where you dodge bullets, then another with some other condition, then battle.

Dodge bullets? What? No, it's 5 minutes of Metroid and then a battle with the boosted stats.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Oh boy, and so it starts.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Presumably because everyone needs their own screen, why you can't just do this online? v:shobon:v

VVV: lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

"Hey you can customize character movesets...only in offline so it doesn't loving matter"

gently caress am I even going to buy this game? Jesus christ.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RickDaedalus posted:

Goons not knowing anything about physical fitness isn't all that surprising.

I don't think "exercise form which is primarily employed by middle class and rich white people in the West" constitutes the entirety of physical fitness

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

"Hey you can customize character movesets...only in offline so it doesn't loving matter"

I believe the noted you can do it in online mode, but only when playing with friends. They're probably trying to limit balance issues.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

You can use the custom movesets in friend matches online, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

You can use it online with friends, too. You just can't use it in random online.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Dodge bullets? What? No, it's 5 minutes of Metroid and then a battle with the boosted stats.

I think he's referring to the part where each person gets simultaneous events like "kill bullet bills", but yeah that happens within the 5 minute time span, each isn't a unique event. It's basically a 5 minute dungeon crawl and then a fight.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Orrrrr in online with friends. We'll probably have a pretty big goon friend community to choose from (and I hope this game borrows Communities from Mario Kart 7)

I'm sure it's mostly just a balance measure, since they have much less control over the customized movesets and people will want to build weird gimmick characters. Honestly it's a lot like Stickers were in Brawl, only used in one mode but they let you do some really interesting things.

And it's also something we don't have any details about yet.

I have a feeling we'll see another Smash Bros Direct in 2 or 3 months, near the 3DS version's release, and it will go in-depth about moveset customization and the inter-platform connectivity stuff. Those are the two big mysteries right now, other than the roster.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

If this is your Smash Bros dealbreaker then maybe Smash Bros was never the game for you.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Are you okay dude, you're really whiny

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Kelp Plankton posted:

moveset customization and the inter-platform connectivity stuff. Those are the two big mysteries right now, other than the roster.

But what about the stage editor? :ohdear:

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
What this thread is telling me is that more goons need to play Kirby's Air Ride. :v:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

forbidden lesbian posted:

Are you okay dude, you're really whiny

:rolleyes:
Why even put in the feature if they couldn't balance around it at all? It's just kind of ridiculous.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I don't have any friends with a WiiU. I don't think anyone does. I think I'm justified in worrying that it'll be hard to find acquainted players with the same preferences.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Suspicious Cook posted:

But what about the stage editor? :ohdear:

I think if we were getting a stage editor, they would have mentioned it on that stream. Still a chance, but I doubt it this time around.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Why even put in the feature if they couldn't balance around it at all? It's just kind of ridiculous.

Like all of Brawl's options for ridiculous gimmick battles?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

You can use the custom movesets in friend matches online, too.

B-b-b-ut Nintendo is forcing me to... have FRIENDS!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's not even a matter of balance, it's a matter of beign able to go online and be reasonably sure what each character is capable of.

It's a neat g oofy thing you can do, not something the game is built around.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bobnumerotres posted:

That's kinda silly, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 put in a mode specifically designed to be busted and stupid (the card mode, whatever it was called), and USF4 announced an "Edition Select" mode where you can use all the unbalanced characters from each version against each other. Neither are designed for tournament or competitive play, and this is no different.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
One thing that I'm really concerned about is replays. I enjoy recording replays and putting them on Youtube. Will Smash 4 still have the arbitrary "3 minute limit" that Brawl had, or would it be more lenient? Competitive channels like VGBootCamp will probably want to know this, too.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Like all of Brawl's options for ridiculous gimmick battles?

Look, I'm sorry, but that's a pile of poo poo. Hey! You can change around your movesets!...but only in offline modes because we don't know how to balance it please understand

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bobnumerotres posted:

Why does it matter if you can't play pubbies with your broken version of Mario?

F. Lobot posted:

I don't have any friends with a WiiU. I don't think anyone does. I think I'm justified in worrying that it'll be hard to find acquainted players with the same preferences.

What do you mean? What playing preferences are you going to want to play with? Why would your friends not having a Wii U mess with this at all?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Look, I'm sorry, but that's a pile of poo poo. Hey! You can change around your movesets!...but only in offline modes because we don't know how to balance it please understand

It's literally allowed online dude, just not in randoms

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Sire Oblivion posted:

Smash 4 tournaments should be prefaced with a session of yoga.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Level Slide posted:

Smash 4 tournaments should be prefaced with a session of yoga.

They probably already smell bad enough, why would you want to amplify that. :gonk:

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Captain Pissweak posted:

Ssh let me live my dream of Solaire being summoned for battle.

Down special: Leave Summon Sign

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Supercar Gautier posted:

The real Samus is just like "what the gently caress is this poo poo"

How is it that Retro can make a better looking Samus head on the Gamecube in 2002 than NamcoBandai can in 2014 on an HD system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
God I'm sad that the 3DS version won't have the music customization from Brawl. That and my prayers for a not-lovely Mewtwo seemingly being unanswered are my only digs against the game, looks dope otherwise and I'm really glad I finally bit the bullet on getting a 3DSXL.

Then again I'm super-tempted to get the WiiU version as well, not just because I love couch co-op but they've done a lot of things to make the game keep its freshness in that kind of environment for a longer period. I'm resigning myself to the fact that I'll probably pick up a WiiU just to play this game.

• Locked thread