Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

forbidden lesbian posted:

i'm not sure how to take this post.

These characters and franchises are owned by someone who is not the developer. For a character to appear in the game they have to collaborate with Nintendo to reach an agreement on how each character is implemented, with some development teams even having a say in how they're included. Sakurai has mentioned publicly Pokemon characters take a bit more discussion than most, probably because of the nature of the IP and the Pokemon Company.

It's not "Smash HQ" that decided to further sexualize Samus in her design, it was the design they were okayed to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone link this gallery of new screenshots. Some stills from the Nintendo Direct, but I think a fair amount of new info there. Someone tell me if I'm crazy, but is this item the S Flag from the Tales games? Or is it from something else and I'm not recognizing it?

edit: Apparently it's a thing Namco uses in a lot of their games.

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 9, 2014

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Wind God Sety posted:

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone link this gallery of new screenshots. Some stills from the Nintendo Direct, but I think a fair amount of new info there. Someone tell me if I'm crazy, but is this item the S Flag from the Tales games? Or is it from something else and I'm not recognizing it?

Lot of new item pics in here. Very nice. Not sure about the flag.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wind God Sety posted:

Wow, there's a lot of info here that wasn't revealed in the Direct. Seems like just about every item from Brawl is back.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Wind God Sety posted:

Some of these really own

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

The ship stealer from Galaga is there too
https://www.flickr.com/photos/48280274@N02/13729381833/in/set-72157643678092364

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
When Saki appeared as an assist trophy, that's when my heart sank a bit. I know there's gotta be more characters to come (Though not many left) but I was really hoping for Sin and Punishment to be apart of the roster.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

DrPaper posted:

These characters and franchises are owned by someone who is not the developer. For a character to appear in the game they have to collaborate with Nintendo to reach an agreement on how each character is implemented, with some development teams even having a say in how they're included. Sakurai has mentioned publicly Pokemon characters take a bit more discussion than most, probably because of the nature of the IP and the Pokemon Company.

It's not "Smash HQ" that decided to further sexualize Samus in her design, it was the design they were okayed to use.

It was a joke bro

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Oh this reminds me, like someone else already said, why the gently caress doesnt skull kid crash a moon into the stage?!?!

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

The first Gamexplain analysis video is up. Watch this if you want to absorb every single detail imaginable from a single trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSUmVhX83gI

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Space T Rex posted:

Oh this reminds me, like someone else already said, why the gently caress doesnt skull kid crash a moon into the stage?!?!

He does. But it only works if the match lasts for 72 hours.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Space T Rex posted:

It is weird, especially since Palkia does the same thing.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Countblanc posted:

That's more increasing the breadth of matchups, not their depth. Which is really a completely different thing and not inherently good either. I talked about this a bit in the last thread toward the end, but basically one of the most fun things about playing fighting games competitively (by which I mean aiming to win/improve, not literally tournament-level play) is learning matchups and using that knowledge on other people, but if there's too many characters then you can't viably learn all of the matchups, or even the basics of them if the character is rare enough. When every Mario can feasibly be one of a dozen different Mario "builds" then each of them is effectively a different character, to varying degrees. Worse yet, there's a good chance you'd have to learn on the fly and no rematch feature (since random matchmaking rarely has that and lol nintendo online) means each game would just be about trying to outgimmick your opponent since you couldn't really know anything going into the game.

This also actually punishes casual/new players more than competitive ones since they presumably play the game less and probably aren't putting the effort into system mastery. And speaking as a competitive-style player, that sucks.

I play deckbuilding card games, and the tournament scenes around those don't collapse into quivering piles of goo over the idea of sideboards; it's part of the game to be ready for your opponent bringing out a card designed to hate you, and to hate right back. If it's cumbersome to actually change your moveset around, I can see them insisting on default only, but being able to tune for the fight you're in has been done well before. It doesn't matter that you can't rematch in random matchmaking because alternate movesets are disabled for those.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A few other things from that album that I think are worth highlighting, because I don't recognize them. I'd post them directly, but I can't manage to do that with Flickr.

There's a Tanooki leaf, a chest, a drill cannon (from Megaman, maybe? I don't know), an eye cannon, a hornet's nest (possibly from the Villager), and a boomerang. There's also a picture of Chespin, presumably form a Pokeball; I don't remember if he was in the Direct.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

:rolleyes:
Why even put in the feature if they couldn't balance around it at all? It's just kind of ridiculous.

Because Sakurai's brain will explode and then we won't have any smash bros :(

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Wind God Sety posted:

edit: Apparently it's a thing Namco uses in a lot of their games.

Correct. That's the Special Flag from a ton of Namco games, originally a racing game called Rally-X. It's even been in Star Fox Assault, as Namco made that. Still, there's a TON of info, including a lot of items, both new and old. However, consider both the S Flag and the Galaxians are from Namco's arcade days, perhaps we'll be getting a Namco rep from that era?

My vote's on the Dig-Dug Guy.

FighterKnuckles fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 9, 2014

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

I'm pretty sure that's the Drill Arm from Kid Icarus: Uprising, now alongside the Ore Club as an item in Smash.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Heatwizard posted:

I play deckbuilding card games, and the tournament scenes around those don't collapse into quivering piles of goo over the idea of sideboards;
Uh now is this a game where each player has .5 seconds to pick a card and slam it down, because I don't really think this translates. We're talking about a twitchy game. Anyway the post you responded to was responding to someone complaining that you couldn't have custom movesets against randos.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 9, 2014

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Franklin Badge's still there too :haw:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Let's take a moment to acknowledge how effin' pretty the new Final Destination is.

It's a better looking Metroid stage than the actual Metroid stage.

When they showed off the 'Alternate Destinations' I noticed some of them had slanted edges, and some of them had walls. How exactly does that work?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So with the 3ds version, what button's going to relate to the z-button on the gamecube version? Just have the right trigger be for blocking and dodging and the left trigger for grabbing/grappling?

F. Lobot posted:

Let's take a moment to acknowledge how effin' pretty the new Final Destination is.

When they showed off the 'Alternate Destinations' I noticed some of them had slanted edges, and some of them had walls. How exactly does that work?

This looks like it fell out of Soul Calibur.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Smoke Ball is back :dance:

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
So I know that your online rank is equivalent to how many people you've bested, but is that all there is to it? Just +1 per win? Or we we think it will also -1 for a loss? And someone was complaining that there seems to be no way to control how many people per match, are we just assuming that because all the matches showed 4 people in them? Or did I miss him saying that there is no way to choose these things?

I really hope you can choose your number of opponents, I think 1 V 1 is the most fun way to play.

E: I am speaking strictly about online matches. I know obviously its very simple to control the number of players offline.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The eye cannon is also from Uprising, but there was also a Lightning Bolt, some weird flag thing that seems familiar but I can't place it right this second, and a poo poo ton or returning items. Like a good chunk of Brawl's returning items.

I have to say, i'm impressed that the majority of Mario Kart's standard items are in the game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

F. Lobot posted:

God this looks amazing.

This is my new wallpaper and i love it

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 9, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Heatwizard posted:

I play deckbuilding card games, and the tournament scenes around those don't collapse into quivering piles of goo over the idea of sideboards; it's part of the game to be ready for your opponent bringing out a card designed to hate you, and to hate right back. If it's cumbersome to actually change your moveset around, I can see them insisting on default only, but being able to tune for the fight you're in has been done well before. It doesn't matter that you can't rematch in random matchmaking because alternate movesets are disabled for those.

Card games aren't remotely comparable, since you have an entire 20+ minute match to adjust and notice patterns. MOBAs are in the same boat. A fighting game match is over in 60-90 seconds in real time. It isn't literally impossible to adjust, but I dunno, I think you'd struggle to find many people who play competitively who think that sort of thing is good for a game's long term growth versus short term gimmick value.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space T Rex posted:

So I know that your online rank is equivalent to how many people you've bested, but is that all there is to it? Just +1 per win? Or we we think it will also -1 for a loss? And someone was complaining that there seems to be no way to control how many people per match, are we just assuming that because all the matches showed 4 people in them? Or did I miss him saying that there is no way to choose these things?

I really hope you can choose your number of opponents, I think 1 V 1 is the most fun way to play.

E: I am speaking strictly about online matches. I know obviously its very simple to control the number of players offline.

IIRC the pro mode shows your win/loss record?

And yeah I don't think they mentioned any sort of filtering for public online play which is a shame. I really hope the standard play is a 3 stock match instead of a 2 minute timer....:negative:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blackheart posted:

Franklin Badge's still there too :haw:

So's Mr. Saturn! I wasn't exactly worried that we wouldn't get Ness but it's still reassuring to see.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bef posted:

Because Sakurai's brain will explode and then we won't have any smash bros :(

Also cause it might be a fun as heck sandbox for casual players. It's more customization, which I love, but is being intentionally left out of competitive play, which I think is better.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

bef posted:

I really hope the standard play is a 3 stock match instead of a 2 minute timer....:negative:

Oh my god I didn't even think of this. If you can't even customize game format...I don't even know. Suicide? Probably suicide tbh.

You know, with all the effort Sakurai has put into allowing players to play anyway they want to this time, I can't imagine him stopping at just "for fun" and "for glory", surely he went all the way and let you choose number of players and game type. Right?! Please?

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 9, 2014

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Have we actually seen Ridley yet? Besides his shadow in the direct

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bicyclops posted:

Also cause it might be a fun as heck sandbox for casual players. It's more customization, which I love, but is being intentionally left out of competitive play, which I think is better.

Good point, dunno why it doesn't have its own matchmaking lobby. I'm sure we will have a pretty large group of goons just trying crazy stuff so i'm not too worried

Space T Rex posted:

Oh my god I didn't even think of this. If you can't even customize game format...I don't even know. Suicide? Probably suicide tbh.

You know, with all the effort Sakurai has put into allowing players to play anyway they want to this time, I can't imagine him stopping at just "for fun" and "for glory", surely he went all the way and let you choose number of players and game type. Right?! Please?

The game sounds pretty amazing so far but if they somehow gently caress up the pubby customization while getting a lot of things right..i just..:shepicide:

bef fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 9, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

No, Sakurai knows how much people want him and he's just screwing with us. I kinda love it because I'm fine with Ridley just being a big guy who sets people on fire in the Metroid stage.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think you could maybe make out one of his claws in a picture of the metroid stage.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TARDISman posted:

No, Sakurai knows how much people want him and he's just screwing with us. I kinda love it because I'm fine with Ridley just being a big guy who sets people on fire in the Metroid stage.

Is Ridley in the game? Unfortunately, he won't be showing up this time around.

Nah! I'm only kidding! His shadow will be featured in one of the character movies!

Kidding again! Ridley is too big.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bicyclops posted:

Nah! I'm only kidding! His shadow will be featured in one of the character movies!

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

I really can't believe the 3DS version is releasing several loving months before the WiiU version. I guess they're REALLY in a hurry to see the WiiU fail and die. Thanks Nintendo.

Agreed. I don't regret my Wii U purchase but I really cannot fathom the marketing strategy behind it. If they want to rely on big name first-party titles to keep it afloat, that's fine but they actually have to develop and release said titles. We are only just getting Mario Kart now at the end of May, SSB in Nov-Dec, no ETA for Zelda game and no word at all on a Metroid or Starfox title (which at this stage of the game likely means a complete no-show on the Wii U).

I really did enjoy Mario World 3D but it's the only game I have bought for the Wii U so far since I picked one up last last year. I just cannot work out the wisdom behind dragging their collective asses on making and releasing the games people by Nintendo systems for in the first place. I cannot imagine this new plan is making them much in the way of actual money so far.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

This is it, this their strategy.

"Super Smash Bros. comes out next month on the Wii U version, among the several features it has over its handheld companion, we are proud to announce that its amazing HD technology allows it to exclusively fit Ridley directly for you!"

Everyone tosses their 3DSes, the Wii U is saved and Iwata swims in money forever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Space T Rex posted:

Should be DK's final smash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

bef posted:

The game sounds pretty amazing so far but if they somehow gently caress up the pubby customization while getting a lot of things right..i just..:shepicide:

I was just rewatching some bits, and the Kirby Air Ride...power up...Battle Royale...thing is described specifically as a "4 Player Battle Game". If all game types online were always 4 player, that would be redundant right? Its making me more optimistic at least.

• Locked thread