Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Barkley
He points out, "there is something to be said for a less obvious approach. If someone were to take our metal friend here to the temple, and he were to stay perfectly still, and pretend to be broken or damaged, it might make for a good offering. A creation of magic for the goddess of magic, so to speak? They'd inevitably take him inside without much fuss if he did truly appear to be inert, either to repair and win over to their cause, or to sell to an interested party to fund their schemes. Either way, he gets inside without much fuss. And if that results in them opening the door for me to bring him inside, so much the better, no?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Marcon bel Tern

"Rather than hoping for Ishmael and myself to perform any type of subterfuge, I am more in favor of a plan where we are making our devotions in the courtyard when danger threatens."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Ivan

"While those are all interesting possibilities, I propose the less conspicuous members of our group take the paid tour first, then take action from there. That way we get knowledge of the inside layout without causing the suspicion going after any attempted infiltration might bring."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Barkley
'So many complications.', he thinks to himself. 'How many plans must we make and then shelve for fear of not having the perfect one?', he wonders. He sighs from his seat at the table at that point, thinking back on his days with the Maskarran clergy where such debates often occurred. Creating the perfect deception had often kept the faithful locked in a state of inaction, when any number of possible avenues would have served just as well. This was a similar instance, he suspected: there was a perfect plan to be concocted, to be sure, but finding it was likely not necessary. In his experience, the incremental benefit of a perfect plan, relative to a functional one, was often difficult to measure.

Standing up from his chair and straightening his cloak, he suggests to the others, "I am perfectly fine with some or all of you paying the donation of twenty-five golden lions to enter their interior, as it will have the end result of causing them to open the front doors. Given what Xerxes and Ivan have shared about the complex, it sounds as if the whole of it is built into the side of the mountain, save the courtyard, meaning there will not be many - if any - windows to stain the insides with the light of day when morning comes. Once that door opens, I'll let myself in, and will keep an eye on things from the shadows while you partake in some or all of the three-day service they are advertising. If they attempt to switch you out with doppelgangers or something equally sinister, I'll step out of the shadows fully armed and teach them a valuable lesson about the power of friendship. If they don't try anything hostile, and my inevitable snooping reveals some sinister plot nonetheless, I'll inform you and we can proceed to the backup plan. Finally, if my inevitable snooping doesn't reveal anything sinister, and they're otherwise on the level based on your own assessments, we can regroup after their service and decide what to do next. Does that sound fair?"

Turning on his heel and pointing himself towards the door, he explains, "If so, we should get going, as the nightly service will begin shortly. And if that plan doesn't work for everyone, there is always a simpler approach: I could observe whoever leads the service tonight, and follow them to wherever they happen to sleep when it ends. When they retire for the night, I could punch them so hard that their head nearly explodes, and loot everything of note in their quarters, placing it into my empty backpack here. I could then drape their unconscious body over my shoulder, and return here with their belongings and person for a more thorough search and interrogation. If they are innocent of any wrongdoing, I would apologize for assaulting them. And if they are guilty, I would be less likely to apologize, depending on the severity of their crimes or allegiances."

Shrugging, he admits, "I'm fine with either plan, really, but we should probably get going. Thoughts?"

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Anciano

Anciano sighs at Barkley's second suggestion, "I don't think we need to be kidnapping anyone, thank you. I suppose if we're determined to stride confidently into their clutches, I'll go along with it. I suppose it's fortunate that my 'weapon' is an innocuous pair of gloves. I highly doubt the temple staff will think to take them when they inevitably relieve us of our other armaments."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Barkley
He laughs, explaining, "Don't worry, I know the drill, and it was a joke. Mostly. I'm in this to establish a positive reputation of myself in Cormyr as much as anything, so let's all try to avoid unnecessary damage to persons and property." He winks to Anciano, admitting, "Unless they deserve it, of course."
pre:
Accompanying the party to the temple (when they leave).
I will stay hidden, and try to slip inside when the temple opens the inner doors.
   52 Hide*
   37 Move silently
   *(Ex) Hide in plain sight active after sunset.
    (Ex) Blindsense, blindsight, scent and tremorsense must beat Spot DC.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Xerxes of the Breath

Xerxes also relays anything he had seen when he investigated from above. Though he is unlikely to have seen much that Bessy wouldn't have with 'her' closer inspection, though he would have had a different view and the ability to inspect multiple sides from above while at a distance to look like nothing more than a bird.

As the others are making plans Xerxes thinks. Eventually he speaks into their minds. <Should I wrap myself around someone, under a cloak? Or should I try to find a way in from above?>

Were there any openings, broken windows/cracks, just straight up open windows, that would admit Xerxes?

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 19, 2014

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Wheloon

Having come to a decision, the party kills time until right around nightfall, when they set out to attend the evening ceremony.

Temple of Mystra

Arriving in the courtyard, the party finds eight other worshipers gathered, waiting for the ceremony to start. And as Shan Thar comes out of a side room in more ceremonial garb, accompanied by another figure in a plain brown robe, it begins. The second person is quickly revealed as an obvious mage of some sort, as he proceeds to cast what Marcon and Xerxes recognize as a rather ostentatious silent image displaying the various stars and constellations, bringing various ones into focus as the ceremony continues.

Dina immediately, and Xerxes quickly thereafter, recognizes this as a rather standard ceremony of Mystra, and one of the very first taught to clerics of her. As the night wears on, the worshippers look upon, name, and revere them as they're brought into focus. As the ceremony ends, and the various worshippers begin to file out for the night, the party stays behind to ask Shan Thar regarding admittance to earn Mystra's Sacred Trust. Though confused for a moment, as he's never seen any of you before, he quickly recovers. "You're a bit late for that tonight. We allow petitioners in around an hour before dusk each day, so please come back tomorrow."

With that said, he returns to the room he entered from, closing the door behind him. You do manage to see it's simply a small side chamber with bedding and a desk though-one he apparently shares with the mage-and no other obvious entrances. Awkwardly, the party returns to Wheloon for the night, booking lodging at the Wyvern's Watch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 24 Marpenoth 1374 DR

Wheloon

Waking up, the party finds tasks to busy themselves with until the late afternoon, when they regather and set out.

Temple of Mystra

Finding it much the same as yesterday, the party approaches Shan Thar, and he quickly agrees to accept you, after taking your donations. Knocking on the closed doors, they open to admit you, as well as well as four others, into the interior.

This large room is closed off from the sky, but tiny points of light glitter on the otherwise oil-black ceiling. The floor is tiled with obsidian slabs, and three rows of square pillars march across the chamber from north to south. Torches are ensconced on the east and west surfaces of each column. A plain stone altar stands alone near the chamber's center.

As the doors close behind you, you're met with a dour looking priest, who curtly introduces himself as Starweaver Fembrys. As soon as you're all gathered in the center of the room, he gives an opening speech.

"Do you deserve Mystra's Sacred Trust? Some of you do not, and you'll be asked to leave during the three days you'll spend in the petitioner's quarters. I won't lie-the next three days will be hard. You may get bored, you may get hungry, but if you persevere, you might just earn the Starry Gnosis, the secret knowledge. If you can't commit to three days, leave now. Father Shan Thar will return your donation.

"If you're staying, put your belongings in the petitioners quarters, and change into the vestments you'll find there. Stay there until you're called, contemplating obedience to the goddess."

At this, Fembrys leaves, entering T11, and one of the guards proceeds to show you around the area, explaining the requirements as he goes.

T7: Each of this room's four cell-like alcoves contains a small cot, a neatly folded black robe and a stack of blankets, and a wooden chest.

"Well, when I'm finished showing you around, you need to come back here, remove all your belongings-yes, including jewelry-, and change into these robes."

Moving through here you see a few other petitioners, who've clearly been here a day or two already.

T10: On the east and west walls of this room are iron pegs on which are hung dozens of identical ceremonial black robes.

"Every morning you'll be required to bathe in the next room, and put on new clean robes in this room."

T12: A spray of water emerges from a metallig disc, pierced with many holes, embedded in the ceiling. The water is caught in a shallow basin in the floor and drains down a small hole in the basin's center.

"This of course is said bathing place. You'll excuse me if I don't enter it in armor."

T13: Wooden planks, each with a foot-wide hole in their center, cover the rank-smelling shafts that pierce the floor of each alcove.

"Well, I'm sure you can guess what this room's for.

Now, there will be a nightly ceremony shortly that you're required to attend, as well, so at this point you'll need to go get changed. So you're clear, we'll bring by a simple meal each day in the morning, and most of each day will be participating in chants in the main area."

At this he leads you back to your new quarters, and returns to his post.

So, what now?
The doors to T8, T9, and T11 were closed, but you were informed that they were the guards' room, a storage room, and the Sacristy respectively.

For the sake of simplicity, you're lurking in someone's bag with your head sticking out, pretending to be a familiar, Ryuujin. They're required to leave you with the rest of their belongings.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Anciano

Entering his room, he places down his pack, allowing Xerxes to climb out. He'd insisted on being the one to pose as the pseudodragon's keeper, despite Vik's silent protest, in order to make good on his latest plan. Besides, Vik would be safer back at the inn, there's no telling what the "clerics" here had planned for their belongings. Fortunately, Anciano had foreseen the forced disarmament, and left nearly all of his gear in his room. Of course, by necessity of preparedness, he had to bring his armor and gloves with him, and they were by far his most valuable possessions. As he placed them, and his shield, in the wooden chest, he kept out the one other item he had brought along. Turning to Xerxes, he hands him what appears to be the dessicated hand of an elf, attached to a chain. "This is why I needed you here, this should be useful to you on any independent investigations. It will allow you to move small objects with force of will, like the wizard's cantrip, Mage Hand. The primary difference being that you may use it as much as you need to. If you find any material evidence, that item should make it much easier to acquire."

(If Barkley committed to sneaking out during nighttime hours to investigate, Anciano would have left the gear from earlier with him. Otherwise, he'd have put the stuff away. Regardless, I'm now lending my Hand of the Mage to Xerxes, so he can use it to help do his own investigation and sneaking missions and stuff. Aside from those and my combat-relevant equipment, all my belongings are at the inn.)

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Barkley
In the previous evening, and the following morning and early afternoon...
The skulk spent literally the entire morning and early afternoon sleeping, forcing himself to get a solid sixteen, perhaps nearly eighteen hours of rest from the time the party was turned away the previous night. Knowing he may very well have to stay alert for the next three days straight, he endeavored (perhaps naively) to build up a reservoir of energy. When coupled with the natural sleep-enhancing properties of his ring, this added up to somewhere between sixty-four and seventy-two hours of effective sleep, though much of the latter portion was tainted by waking up after only ten or twenty minutes had passed and then forcing himself back to bed, as his body began to reject the unnecessary additional rest. Eventually, he became wholly fed up with being unable to force any more sleep in, and took whatever passed for a luxurious bath at the inn. Once that was done, he donned all of his gear and other equipment of note, and headed out with the group back to the temple once more.

Heading up the road to the temple...
He had suspected it might be a problem while casing the area during the previous night, but it was all too clear now as the party drew closer: the angle of the sun at this time of day, when the worshipers would be allowed into the inner temple, was going to be an issue for him with regard to sneaking into the area. Although he was confident he could fade from view once he got into the outer courtyard, physically getting there without being noticed would be a dice roll at best, and Barkley wasn't the sort to leave critical junctures to chance. Waving a few members of the party over, he explained casually as they walked to Ivan and Anciano, as well as any others who weren't readily distracted, "The setting sun is going to be a problem for me, given the way the gate is positioned, facing west. I could try to sneak my way in, but an attentive guard or priest might count the number of people coming into the courtyard before dusk and people leaving it after the ceremony, which would give away the element of surprise that I would prefer to rely on during my infiltration. I'm going to have to ask one of you to figure out a way to convince them to open up the inner doors, if only for a few moments, after the sun sets. I'll make my way into the courtyard once night has fully come, and be waiting by the door for the opportunity to slip inside. Maybe tell them you dropped a gold coin, or a precious gem, or something? I'm sure you can figure something out." Shrugging, he suggests, "If you aren't able to do that, and the doors don't otherwise open by a little bit after midnight, I'll see if I can't find another way in, though." With that said, he let the rest of the party approach the area, slipping into the shadow of the trees in the nearby forest to keep an eye on the interior while being safely out of view a few hundred feet away. To anyone paying careful attention atop the battlements of the temple, it would seem only as if he had parted ways with the group, entering the forest for his own purposes before disappearing from view.

He cocks an eyebrow at both Anciano and Marcon as they leave, inquiring, "that is, unless either of you have a source of temporary invisibility I can use to get from here to there without scrutiny?"

When dusk finally approaches...
As with the previous evening, once the area fully embraced the cover of darkness, Barkley strolled into the courtyard with relative ease. Biding his time, and waiting for the opportunity he is sure will come, he currently waits in the shadow of Mystra, leaning against the northern statue of the courtyard and doing his best to ignore the ceremony currently underway.
pre:
Waiting for the party to find a way to open the doors after nightfall, or some other cause for it to open.
I am leaning against the north-east side of the statue, leaving the doors 25' away from my position.
Given my 40' movement speed, and ability to move at full-speed in stealth, I can move inside in one action.
As a result, I will maintain a readied action to enter the doors the moment that becomes possible.

In the interim, switching to Hunter's Sense stance to gain scent, so that I can be aware of any invisible foes.

Waador fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 25, 2014

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Anciano

With Xerxes taken care of, Anciano sighs and prepares the two magical abilities he'd readied when Barkley insisted on being let into the temple from outside, despite simpler alternatives. With a wave of his hand, he vanished from sight, his mimicry of an invisibility spell working as planned. As the other supplicants, his comrades possibly excepted, safely within their alcoves, Anciano walked to the door and employed the other power he'd gone with. The image of a second, identical door was now superimposed over the first. As the chamber door opened inwards, nobody outside the room was likely to notice as Anciano opened it and stepped out, shutting it behind him, but keeping firm concentration on maintaining the illusion. Moving a little more slowly than he otherwise would due to his divided attention, he made his way to the front door, opening it for Barkley. Then, he simply returned to the chambers, reopened the door, and slipped inside. Once the door was shut, he allowed the illusory copy to dissipate, returning to his bed and heading off to sleep.

(Used my Arcane Dilettante ability to access Invisibility and Silent Image as SLAs.)

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Barkley
He swiftly reacted to the opportunity for which he had readied himself, crossing the twenty-five foot distance from the statue to the temple doors in the blink of an eye, and maneuvering himself an additional fifteen feet into the inner temple after closing the slightly ajar door behind him (assuming no inner guardsmen or other observers were visible, and/or appeared to had noticed the ajar door). With the benefit of having been ready for the occasion, the door itself had been open for a barely-measurable amount of time, perhaps a second or two, so he suspected it would be unlikely that anyone in the outer courtyard would have noticed. Even if they did, it would likely appear from their vantage that someone was just securing an unfortunately-ajar door, which wasn't particularly suspicious.

Taking the area in for the first time, it was obvious that there was an expansive suite of rooms comprising the interior, although the most relevant point of egress appeared to be the one with the similar-size double doors on the eastern side of the hall. With minimal activity going on in the main hall at the moment, he slowly paced his way through the pillars in the room, ultimately coming to rest on the eastern edge of the northern pillar closest to the next set of double doors. As with the outer courtyard, he remained in the stance of the hunter, carefully choosing and pacing his movements so as to be able to detect and avoid walking into anyone who happened to be invisible or otherwise well-hidden in the area.

Knowing well the value of patience, and in truth having no idea what the schedule was like for ceremonies, dinner, or other activities inside the temple, he chose to bide his time. Eventually, someone was going to enter or exit those doors, and when they did so, he would make his move accordingly. The only caveat to his strategy was ensuring that he maintained a safe distance from any nearby travel, so he remained alert to ensure he moved out of the way if any guardsmen or petitioners came within fifteen feet of his location. As he waited, he took a look around the interior: as expected, there did not appear to be any obvious windows, which he supposed was one of the benefits of building one's home inside a mountain.

Waador fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 26, 2014

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Ivan

Ivan surrenders his possessions (not many) in the petitioners quarters. Before removing his hat of disguise, he makes sure to normalize his appearance to match the outer disguise. Then and only then does he remove it. He mentally pictures again Shan Thar and Starweaver Fembrys, making sure to commit their appearance to memory. After changing into the provided robes, Ivan heads off with the others and participates in whatever activities are required of him to blend in. When night comes however, Ivan only feigns sleep.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Marcon bel Tern

Marcon follows Ivan's lead and obeys the instructions of Starweaver Fembrys.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Temple of Mystra, Middle Temple - Night

After changing into your robes you're left to sit and meditate/stare at a wall for around two candlemarks, before a guard comes and collects you as well as the other petitioners and leads you into the center area. There, Starweaver Fembrys has changed into ceremonial attire and taken his place in front of the altar. After everyone is seated he proceeds to launch into his sermon.

To say Fembrys' sermon is a mess would be understating it, and between his curt greeting combined with this you really get the feeling he's not much of a public speaker. Still, a few of you manage to disentangle what he's sermonizing about from the word salad the speech otherwise seems to be.

Dina, Marcon, Anciano: The gist of the ceremony is thus: Magic is born between the stars, as Mystra's symbol shows - the stars are known points of magic, but the space between the stars holds far more, knowledge that Mystra reveals only to those who show special promise.

It drags on for hours, and many more candlemarks have gone by before it ends and you're released back to your quarters to get some rest.

Around midnight Anciano sneaks back into the main room, finding Fembrys at the altar, and lets in Barkley, who's been waiting in shadows outside the entire time. Letting him in, he goes back to sleep, with Barkley beginning his task of staying awake for a long time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 25 Marpenoth, 1374 DR

Temple of Mystra, Middle Temple - Morning

Awakened as the sun outside rises, you're led to the washroom to bathe and change clothes, before being led back to the quarters and given a meager meal of some bread and water. Given a short time to eat, you then follow the other petitioners back into the center, where you're required to follow along in many religious chants lasting most of the day. As it gets to early evening, you're allowed to go back to your quarters and rest.

In the late afternoon, two petitioners let the guards know they want to leave, and are let out of the temple.

I'm just summarizing events of the next day. Anything you want to have done today or last night I can work into the next post.

Xerxes is currently in Anciano's footlocker, and Anciano is being given a little extra bread and water.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 28, 2014

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Barkley
Temple of Mystra, Middle Temple - Night...
The timing of whoever let him in appeared to be quite ideal, as there was an obvious cleric or monk-like individual just waiting at the altar, likely in prayer. Given the time of day, and that they weren't dressed in the attire of the hired guards (unless the inner temple guards had a different look to them altogether), he doubted they would remain in prayer forever. Enacting his simple plan of going where the important people went, he casually leaned against the northern pillar closest to the double doors on the eastern side of the temple, and waited for whoever was praying to lead him on a tour of the area.
pre:
Since Fembrys is at the altar when I am let in, I will hide around a nearby pillar.
Until he moves, I will observe him and listen to any prayers he happens to say aloud.

If/when he starts to go somewhere, I'll follow a few steps behind him accordingly, going where he goes.
Unless otherwise required I'll take 10 on hide and move silently while shadowing him.

Perception:
Spot - 6
Listen - 5
Scent - 30' in all directions, assuming no indoor wind.

Waador fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 29, 2014

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Barkley
More than a few candlemarks later(it's near dawn), Fembrys rises and makes his way to the doors in front of him, knocking on them and asking to be let in. You manage to hear the sound of a bar sliding out of the way, and see him open the door. Close behind him, you see the bar laying against a pillar inside the room, and Fembrys walking over to it.

Slabs of obsidian line the floor, walls, and high ceiling of this room. Two thick, square columns each hold a single blazing torch on their west face(towards you). This arrangement provides uneven light to the front of the temple, but leaves the temple's further recesses in shadowy darkness, especially the two large stone figures set in the rearmost alcoves. Also poorly lit is a dark stone altar set forward from the statues but behind the direct light offered by the pillars.

The only person you smell in the room is Fembrys. Do you follow?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Barkley
It appeared that his gracious host wasn't planning on staying in this secondary room for very long. It offered a few insights, he supposed, but was nowhere near as interesting as a deeper reconnaissance of the temple. To that end, he followed Fembrys deeper into the bowels of what he dearly hoped didn't end up being hell.
pre:
Continuing to follow, with scent active.

Waador fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 29, 2014

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Barkley
Similar to before, Fembrys moves forward to the single door and knocks on it, demanding to be let through. Unlike last time, it takes about half a minute or so before you hear the sound of a bar sliding back. Opening the door, Fembrys steps through starting to close the door and reach for the bar, which you see resting on a step on the now revealed staircase.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Barkley
Frowning, the skulk allowed the cleric to make his way through the doorway on the eastern edge of the room. It would have been preferable to follow him through it, he knew, as answers surely would be hidden deep in the bowels of the well-secured keep. However, following him now would have risked giving away his position, which was a currency he wasn't inclined to spend so freely. Better to investigate this sealed room, and see what insights might be found.

Although his attention had admittedly been thoroughly focused on the cleric, Barkley wasn't a fool: someone had opened the door for him into this area, as he hadn't heard any command words, and it was more likely that a few hidden rogues or similar creatures were standing guard in the area than it was for the temple to be guarded by some specter or other apparition. He hoped. Playing the odds, he remained hidden and in the stance of the hunter, weaving through the area slowly and surely in order to see if he could pick up the scent of an invisible or hidden foe.
pre:
Using scent to scan the area for potential problems. Spot checks of:
#1 -  2          #6 - 20
#2 - 20          #7 -  9
#3 - 17          #8 - 18
#4 -  5          #9 - 11
#5 -  4         #10 -  2
With the perimeter sweep complete, he then began to commence a more thorough search of the room. While remaining cautious and hidden due to the incredibly heightened self-preservation instincts unique to the skulk race, he scanned every nook and cranny of the room for relevant mechanisms or secrets.
pre:
Search 23 (taking 20) on the room, specifically covering the:
   - Torches and sconces     - Altar
   - Pillars                 - Doors
   - Statues (of Mystra?)    - Walls (for secret doors)
   - Floor                   - Ceiling

If I spot any other things worthy of a search let me know.
Otherwise, I will search from the maximum possible range from each, being 10'.
Each search takes two minutes when taking 20, so this will take an hour or two to be thorough.
While doing so I will take 10 on hide and move silently (plus any relevant distance modifiers).
Although he suspected he knew his next course of action: to wait by the eastern door to hear someone opening it, which was quite loud last time around, he also knew he couldn't be sure of that course before completing his search for both opponents and oddities of the room. Still, expecting that course of action to come to pass, he carefully secured the potion of levitation to his bandoleer for easy access when it was needed.

Waador fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 29, 2014

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Temple of Mystra, Middle Temple - Day

Barkley
Deciding to play it cautiously, you do not follow Fembrys through the second door and instead decide to use the time until he returns to search the room carefully.

First Hour
A thorough look at the altar reveals a secret compartment in the rear, though like most compartments of this nature, it is also locked.

Second Hour
Looking closely at the statues reveals no hidden secrets.

Third Hour
Closely searching the doors for any hidden catches or the like, you wander sideways and bump heavily into a previously unknown individual who was standing next to it. Though you're both shocked, you're staring at a face very similar to your own in the way of supernatural features, although he's obviously human. He then snarls and draws a sword.

Welp. You stumbled into a guard.

Initiative:
Barkley 20
Shadow Guard 16

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 29, 2014

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Barkley
Frowning again behind the mask that completed his outfit, he started to assess the information that had presented itself. It was unfortunate that he had been discovered, but it wasn't a complete disaster: the essence of shadow appeared to transfuse this human as thoroughly as it did his own body, though he suspected this man wasn't also a descendant of a shadow dragon. (Although, he mused, that would make for an interesting twist.) Still, it was more likely that this was the result of recent tampering with his body or soul, which was valuable information, as it narrowed this temple down to a shortlist of a few likely patrons: none of them Mystra, as far as he knew. That was, of course, assuming the accuracy of Ivan's intelligence that the inner temple guards used to be outer temple guards, who themselves appeared to be hired from Wheloon's population. Not that Barkley cared one way or another, at the moment, but if that were the case it meant the temple was converting ordinary people into shadow-people: which was probably frowned upon.

For a brief moment, he debated between the two possible options: the first being proving that the two were similar by removing his mask, and entreating the temple with an offer of his services. Still, his hand had more or less just been caught in the cookie jar, so that wouldn't do ...unless this guard didn't live to explain what had happened. Which quickly brought him to the second option, and it really didn't have a lot of complexity to it.
pre:
Initiative:  20
Attitude:    Negative (35)
             There can be only one.
Looking the man in the eyes through his mask, the slits of his own eyes show the faintest hint of an apology, and he shrugs as he draws his guisarme from where it is stored on his back. He whispers, "It would appear that your faith has been judged ...and found wanting." Clearing his mind for the carnage that was about to come, he began to walk the emerald path in his mind's eye, while his body executed a vicious strike to the man's exposed neck.
pre:
Power attack:    -5/+10
Move action:     Move one square to the southeast, onto the "T", drawing a guisarme as part of the action.
Standard action: Emerald razor
   To hit:       8 (Reach)
   Damage:       21 if the attack hits
                 Move silently - 22 (Listen DC to hear my attack, before distance or barrier modifiers)
Swift action:    Sudden leap
                 Jump - 27 (Leaping Dragon not currently active)
                 Movement - 10' towards the eastern door, atop the altar.
                 Tumble - 27 (as part of Sudden Leap movement, if required)
It felt as if the strike might have went wide by a hair, though he didn't have the luxury of staying in close proximity to confirm one way or another. If it had missed its mark, it didn't appear to have anything to do with the man's reflexes or training: likely the thought of striking down a fellow warrior with such similar potential, he supposed. He tried to force that mental distraction away as he readied himself for the blow which might come next. Leaping slightly over ten feet towards and atop the altar, he debated the option of disengaging and hiding, but that would only have had the result of getting into a detection-battle that he had already (unknowingly) confirmed he couldn't reliably win. All the better to bait out the opponent with his superior reach, and see how effective the foe happened to be in combat, assuming he happened to still be alive. He idly considered the risk that more than one such guard might be in the area, given that at least this one appeared to be trained in the art of darkstalking, or perhaps enchanted with some form of scent-defeating magic. Still, if additional foes did exist, baiting them out would afford him an opportunity to land a solid blow, and knowing the numbers he was up against would be important when deciding whether to slink back into the shadows, as it would dictate the next several moves thereafter.
pre:
If anyone approaches I will use combat reflexes to take an attack of opportunity with reach.

Waador fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 29, 2014

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Did you reroll? Could have sworn you had something higher than an 8 initially.

Dodging the hasty blow Barkley sent his way, the guard dodged back, while the Skulk retreated to the top of the altar. A decision revealed to be rather hazardous when two swords came for his back, with one hitting, followed by the guard in front of him moving up, along with another hidden guard. His perch helped him this time though, and he managed to dodge their blows.

One guard hits, for 10 damage. Also, the one guard was revealed and thus provoked when moving up, so take your AoO.

Initiative:
Barkley 20
Shadow Guards(Group East)[Damage: ??/??, ??/??] 18
Shadow Guards(Group West)[Damage: ??/??, ??/??] 16

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Barkley
pre:
(Previous round's initiative)
Attack of opportunity vs. Guard 1:
   To hit:       21 (or 20 if the altar does not count as high ground) (Reach)
   Damage:       21
                 Move silently - 13 (Listen DC to hear my attack, before distance or barrier modifiers)
Landing a solid blow on the approaching guard, he began to debate his options. Four against one didn't make for terrible odds, but it would be important to find a way to force them into encroaching upon his reach in order to make it less of a gamble. Either way, his options were somewhat limited from atop the altar, so the first (and obvious) step was getting out of the meat-grinder.
pre:
Swift action:    Switch to Leaping Dragon stance.
Move action:     Tumble - 31 (Guard 1) vs. DC 21
                 Tumble - 26 (Guard 2) vs. DC 21
                 Tumble - 30 (Guard 3) vs. DC 21
                 Tumble - 26 (Guard 4) vs. DC 21
                 Jump   - 20 (Leaping Dragon active) [30' jump]
                 Move 20' west, in front of the doors.
Standard action: Unbar the western doors.
Standing atop the altar, in four blinks of an eye (literally), he pivoted and winked at each of the guards in turn, before catapulting himself like a praying mantis into the air and toward the western doors, tumbling expertly through the crisscrossing arcs of their blades as they angrily swung at him. Landing on his feet well beyond their reach, he took a look around the room once more in order to decide upon a strategy, but found that he didn't see an obvious location from where he could force them to engage one at a time. Ducking behind a pillar was an option, he supposed, but that would only draw things out, and it was likely only a matter of time before someone down the stairwell heard the commotion and reinforcements began to arrive. Although between the walls of solid stone, barred doors, and the likelihood that a number of people might be asleep, that might not be a guarantee, he reminded himself.

Taking a further step backwards, he unbarred the western doors, and then spun on his heel to face the guards once more. In so doing, he idly wondered whether he would find another contingent of temple guards on the other side of the doors, or fellow members of his party. Stifling a laugh at the beauty of it all, he focused his attention on the guards, equally curious as to whether they would rush him and engage with their blades, or opt to strike out at him with their longbows. Either way, he knew, would be a dangerous choice for them.
pre:
Combat Reflexes: 5 attacks of opportunity remaining for this round.

Waador fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 30, 2014

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Temple of Mystra, Inner Temple - Day

Barkley rushes for the door and the guards exchange looks. Two move in to flank him while the other two also move forward, sliding around the pillars but then out of his line of sight.

Barkley hits one of the incoming guards. The other guard proceeds to hit him for 8 damage.

Diamond shows injured one. Red tokens with monks are petitioners.

Initiative:
Barkley 20
Shadow Guards(Group East)[Damage: ??/??, 23/??] 18
Shadow Guards(Group West)[Damage: 21/??, ??/??] 16

Rest of the Party

You can hear some muted noises from beyond the doors in front of you, and the two guards by the door seem to be exchanging confused looks.

You're not in combat yet, but feel free to roll, or not roll, initiative if you like.

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Ishmael

"I am not well versed in the ways of Mystrans, is there some type of enthusiastic prayer going on behind those doors? It sounds like someone is in trouble. They could be..." The construct simulates a shudder, "suffering!"

Initiative: 1d20+7 21 and an additional +5 from Dina's Minor Aura that I didn't even notice was a thing until waador pointed it out

El Fappo fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 4, 2014

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Barkley
Half of the guards took the bait, charging at him with their blades swinging. In compensation for their bravery, he charged a toll of a bloodletting strike to the southern guard, and a second blow that unfortunately glanced off the banded mail of the northern guard, albeit with the resounding 'clang' of metal against metal. He had to admit that their bravery paid off, though, when the longsword of one of the guards sliced an unpleasant looking gash in his left shoulder.
pre:
(Previous round's initiative)
Attack of opportunity vs. Guard 1:
   To hit:       24
   Damage:       21
Attack of opportunity vs. Guard 2:
   To hit:       17
   Damage:       23
Given that the doors opened by swinging into the room, it was telling that the two guards had chosen to step to the one location where they would be out of sight were he to cast them open. It could have been coincidence, of course, but when coupled with the fact that the other pair of guards had elected to step into the shadows rather than engage in melee - or even brandish their longbows instead - a very clear picture surrounding the workings of the inner temple was painted. Turning to look at each of the guards, he winked again while whispering "Let. There. Be. Light." In so doing, he took one hand off of his polearm and made a move for the handle on the northern door, pushing it open with a fair deal of force in anticipation of the nearby guard trying to resist the action.
pre:
Move action:     Open the northern door. (Strength 15)
Glancing through what he suspected would be the temporarily-open doorway, he found that he was in luck: a number of his companions were in sight, including the paladin of Mystra herself. Time was a luxury, he knew, which made it impossible to provide a detailed explanation of what was going on behind the closed doors of the temple. Thankfully, Barkley was aware of at least one accusation that would be sure to get the point across quickly and cleanly. Locking eyes with Dina through the doorway, he rang the bell for the melee that was to come, announcing to her and the rest of the room a simple explanation: "They're playing with the plane of shadow back here, by the way."

Although he was sure that statement was true, as he said it he idly wondered about the deeper connotations. By his count there would be a handful of entities skilled (or foolhardy) enough to play with the special kind of fire that was shadow-stuff, particularly when it came to imbuing humans with its power. Thultanthar came to mind almost immediately, though for the life of him he couldn't imagine why it would have any interest in a place as backwater as Wheloon. Actual clergies were also plausible, he supposed, though his knowledge of the full scope of deities who embraced darkness as part of their portfolio was limited. Still, the shortlist he was aware of included the spider queen, the lady of loss, and his own masked lord. He was relatively certain it wouldn't be the latter, if not for his recent experiences in Westgate then at least for the fact that a Maskarran plot would be less ostentatious. The other two made no sense either, though: the spider queen's influence above the surface was not exactly significant, and it would be a cold day in the plane of elemental fire before the lady of loss stooped to posing as Mystra. Which meant he was probably missing something ...but what, he wondered?
pre:
Standard action: Move one square southwest, in front of the closed door. (10' tumbling cost)
                 Tumble - 27 (Injured Guard) vs. DC 17
                 Tumble - 16 (Uninjured Guard) vs. DC 17 (if I don't have total cover due to the open door)
                 Gain total cover vs. Injured Guard due to closed southern door.
                 Gain total (or partial) cover vs. Uninjured Guard due to open (or partially open) northern door.
                 Hide - 37 vs. shadow guards
                 Move silently - 45 vs. shadow guards
                 Jump - 37
                 Move at normal speed, 30' back into the inner temple, again atop the altar.
                 Spot - 16 vs. shadow guards
They were going to close the door almost immediately, he assumed. Since they were expecting him to try to escape, he obliged that misconception, slipping through the now-ajar northern doorway in an agile roll, ending with him positioned with his back up against the still-closed southern door. That maneuver provided him with the benefit of being completely out of sight of the guard positioned behind the southern door, and at least partially out of sight of the guard who was now obscured by the ajar northern doorway, enabling him to slip out of their view for the precious moment that he knew he would need. This location was also all-but-guaranteed to be out of the line of sight of the shadow guards who had stepped out of his field of view, which was likely to prove critical in the coming moments.

Taking stock of the room he had stepped into, it was now clear that at least four additional guards were posted about the area, and equally clear that if he remained that they would almost certainly take up arms against him. Unfortunately, it was hard for him to gauge their complicity in the apparent deception of the temple, which forced him to err on the side of caution and presume their innocence in the matter. Which also meant, unfortunately, that it would be criminally negligent to engage in combat with them. Still, that aligned with his original plan just fine, he supposed.

Reacting swiftly to the moment of cover he had been able to gain against the inner guards, he quickly darted back through the northern doorway. Taking to the air in a powerful leap, he landed gracefully back atop the altar, except now - he hoped - out of view of the inner temple guards, and therefore safe from assault for the immediate future.

Waador fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 4, 2014

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Ishmael calls back to Barkley, "Is there suffering going on? Or could suffering inevitably result from our inaction? This is important!"

He then turns to Dina and asks, "Is shadow-meddling a Mystra thing? Or would that be heretical?"

El Fappo fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 4, 2014

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Barkley
Although the skulk had already leaped back into the interior room, and therefore needed to remain silent, from the few moments that he had spent outside it would have been clear that he had sustained a nasty looking gash across his left shoulder, and a similar wound across his right thigh. Which meant, almost assuredly, that he was suffering. As well, given the fact that his polearm was drawn and freshly stained with blood, it would have been similarly clear that a fair deal more suffering was likely to occur in the imminent future.

Waador fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 4, 2014

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Anciano

Seeing that a commotion was clearly brewing, Anciano tapped Dina lightly on the shoulder while Barkley kept everyone's attention. He whispered to her, "Collect your belongings, and I would appreciate if you would bring me my gloves, they're the topmost item in my storage chest." With a flick of his wrist, Dina vanished from sight, now able to arm herself without drawing much attention.

(Using Invisibility SLA on Dina, will last five minutes. Got 24 for my initiative, since it probably matters for my use of SLAs, but it's actually 29 because I forgot to factor in Dina's aura.)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Dina

"It's possible, but with the other inconsistencies it seems unlikely. Still, best not to kill anyone," Dina replies to Ishmael, before turning invisible. "Not quite the time to go sorting through chests, Aciano!" she states before charging invisibly forward under the cover of invisibility.

Initiative: 1d20+6 7
Move to Z23 (assuming the guard is still in Y24, otherwise go towards whichever one is closest) and then grapple
Grapple (First is touch attack, second is grapple): 1d20+13 29 1d20+11 26

Piell fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 8, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Xerxes of the Breath

As night falls, or at least when Xerxes is pretty sure no one is around the lockers, Xerxes sets about freeing himself from the locker. Then making certain no one is watching he flies up as high as he can, carefully, and quietly flying about in a way to try and avoid notice as much as possible. He intends to investigate what he can, but first he too hears the muffled sounds of combat and flies to investigate, likely finding the others on the way.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Temple of Mystra, Middle/Inner Temple - Day

Darting out to shout something about a Shadow Plane invasion, before darting back in and vanishing, Barkley causes an explosion of noise in the main room. In the confusion, Anciano proceeds to cast invisibility on Dina, in order to allow her to equip herself. Dina instead stands up and moves forward decisively, hoping to see, and perhaps tackle, one of Barkley's supposed assailants.

Beating Dina to the door however, and moving inside cautiously, the two guards on that door begin to look around suspiciously, before calling to the others, "No, I don't see him. I don't know what he's talking about, but it's probably just another thief. Tarsh, Ralen, get in here and help us look for him."

In the main hall, the aforementioned Tarsh and Ralen had just burst out of a side door, where you can see behind them what looks like a small sleeping chamber, and what looks like a knocked over game of cards. The other two guards moving up from the lower door are currently trying to calm people down.

Meanwhile, Barkley sees the pair that just stabbed him move back behind the pillars and out of his line of sight.

Nothing seemingly happens. Some of the guards, however, are currently looking suspiciously into the room for their intruder. The others are currently trying to call for calm.

Initiative:
Anciano 29
Ishmael 26
Ivan 25
Marcon 20
Barkley 20
Xerxes 15
Guards 8
Dina 7

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 10, 2014

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Ishmael Shouts "This is terrible! What sort of temple guards can't even keep intruders out?!"

He will walk over to AI-14 and open the door.

"I will be writing a letter to your supervisors! There is no excuse for poor guardsmanship! No temple of Ilmater ever let intruders so deep into the premises! You have brought great shame upon Mystra. Except you two, Tarsh and Ralen. You were clearly off-duty. I won't hold it against you."

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Ivan

Ivan looks confused and continues his act of normality. "Whats happening?"

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Marcon bel Tern

Marcon heads towards the sleeping quarters at a brisk walk, not wanting to alarm anyone by running. "If there's some kind of threat to Mystra, I won't do much good against it wearing this," he remarks, vaguely in the direction of the guards trying to restore order.

Double move towards my stuff. I think 60' might just make it.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Barkley
He cautiously watched the situation evolve from his perch atop the altar, smirking beneath his mask at the transparency of it all. Previously, it was possible that the shadow guardsmen had stepped out of view for fear of just the petitioners seeing their true nature, but if that had been the only motivation the outer guards would have been quick to close the doors behind them. Given that they had waltzed into the area brazenly, with no interest whatsoever in sealing the room, it seemed quite likely to him that they too were unaware of the true nature of this temple, or its real muscle: which, unfortunately, meant that he would definitely need to treat them with kid gloves. At present only two of the guardsmen had stumbled into the area, but soon enough four or even six were likely to do so, which might prove to be quite problematic. They would almost certainly stumble about the area vainly searching for him, and he presumed they would be too dull to check atop the altar that they could plainly see, meaning he was likely in the clear. They would, however, find the shadow guardsmen, and it was entirely unclear to the skulk how that encounter might go: would they two take up arms against one another, perhaps? If they were hiding from the seemingly stock human guardsmen, they were surely interested in keeping their existence a secret, but how far would they go to do so, he wondered?

It could have been a tactical advantage, he supposed: letting the guardsmen flush out the shadow guards might possibly result in them taking up arms against one another, but that seemed likely to result in the death of at least one presumably innocent human guard, which wasn't desirable. The other possible result - that they would all take up arms against him - was also undesirable, in that although he was confident in his abilities, fighting ten men at once would probably be quite close to his limit. Looking out into the main hall of the temple, it didn't appear as if his comrades were rushing to his aid, either, with both Ishmael and Marcon seemingly making a dash for their valuables, and Ivan biding his time. He'd lost sight of Dina in the chaos, as well, which seemed to suggest he might be on his own for the immediate future.

As he mentally entertained a few possible tactical scenarios based on the current state of affairs, the one wildcard that bothered him was the risk of a cleric bursting through the eastern door. He still had no real idea how powerful the cleric he had followed into this room might be, nor a good sense of how many other similar spellcasters might reside down the stairs he had seen. If two or three trained mages or healers were to enter the fray in the next few moments, things would become disastrously complicated. Tempting fate by lowering his guard to such a threat was unwise, he knew, but it was a trade-off: he could either prepare for the threat he knew existed, or remain prepared for a threat that might present itself.

When looking at it from that lens, his course of action became clear. Clearing his mind of the chaos of the surrounding area, as well as the internal chaos of preparing and analyzing a dozen possible outcomes at once, he instead sharpened his senses and drew his muscles taut for a series of deadly strokes that could bring this melee to an end before any of the seemingly innocent human guardsmen found themselves skewered. Although, he admitted to himself, those same strokes could be used to slice them in half if they turned out to be complicit in the deception.
pre:
Full-round:      Adaptive style to ready a new set of maneuvers.
Readied:         Sudden Leap / Steel Wind / Emerald Razor / Mountain Hammer
Swift:           Switch stance to Hunter's Sense.
Having decided to bide his time atop the altar for a moment, he chose to also focus his attention back on the scents in the area. Doing so revealed a rather pleasant surprise, in that it became clear that Dina was somewhere nearby, though he couldn't be sure where. It seemed unlikely that she had been able to hide herself from his view, although that would have been an amusing revelation into her abilities: the more likely answer, though, was that she had somehow been rendered less than visible. That filled him with a bit more comfort about engaging the shadow guardsmen if they revealed themselves, as fighting ten men back-to-back with another seasoned warrior would hardly qualify as much more than an early morning workout, particularly if he slipped her one of his weapons, assuming she hadn't found the time to arm herself already.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Anciano

Struck by sudden inspiration, Anciano rushes off, running past Marcon. He spoke in his most formal and polite tone as he passed the artificer, "Please, allow me to assist you, sir, many hands make light work!" Playing himself off as eager rather than rushed, he dashes into the common room, preparing to gather his belongings.

(Using Marcon as a pretext, running into the common room. If any of the guards are paying enough attention to me and are suspicious enough to bother trying to see if I'm faking, they're probably not going to have a hard time doing so. That number goes up to 11 if the town is within a mile of the temple, I'm not clear on the exact distance, but since my familiar is back at the inn, the skill bonus would only apply if the inn is less than a mile away.)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Xerxes of the Breath

Xerxes quickly takes a look around, and probably doesn't see a whole lot. Perhaps he sees some guards, but really not much. So he quielty, and stealthily, tries to fly up to the ceiling. Trying to keep various objects and shadows between him and anyone that might be looking at him.

Spot 1d20+6 12
Hide 1d20+14 17
Move Silently 1d20+2 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Temple of Mystra, Middle/Inner Temple - Day

Seeing people filing towards the sleeping area gives the guards a good idea, though Ishmael has clearly irritated them. "Those petitioners have the right idea, everyone. Just in case something happens, all of you should go back there for now and close the door." With that said, the two nearby begin leading you all in that direction.

Meanwhile, Xerxes takes advantage of the now open door, as well as the noise and confusion, and sneakily flies out, undetected by the guards.

In the inner section, the guards have begun moving around the room searching for their intruder, with two others moving to assist. However, the guards Barkley initially encountered remain unseen.

Nothing seemingly happens, aside from the two guards near the mass of people directing you all into the left room.

Initiative:
Anciano 29
Ishmael 26
Ivan 25
Marcon 20
Barkley 20
Xerxes 15
Guards 8

Dina 7 <----------------

• Locked thread