Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3624071 Actual Game thread here!

Players:
1. beetroy ----- Alf Stewart
2. bell jar -----Jarrod Herdygurder
3. Bifauxnen --- Raj Narayan
4. Lizard Combatant - Buggy Swires
5. Sir Coq of Nandos - David Boon
6. splode ---------- Doug Johnson
7. thatbastardken - Selene Mǣnōn
8. Captain Pissweak - Marvin Dent

Ex:
1. Mills -------- John P Rothschild

XyloJW posted:

Experience points may be spent to improve your characters in the following ways:
Attribute: Current rating x 4. (For example, to raise Strength from 2 to 3, it would cost 2x4=8 experience points.)
Ability: Current rating x 2, minimum of 2. (For example, to raise Alertness from 0 to 1 costs 2 points. To raise from 1 to 2 costs 2 points. From 2 to 3 costs 4 points.)
Willpower/Rage/Gnosis: Current Rating. (For example, to raise Gnosis from 4 to 5 costs 4 points.)
New Power from the list I gave your character: 3 points. (This does not apply to the first 3 powers that you will be getting for free.)
New Power not from the list I gave your character: 5 points.

Experience will generally be given out after each scene, and everyone will have the same total experience points. Make sure to note somewhere how many XP you've earned and how you spent those XP. Example: 12 XP total. 5 - Strength, 3 - Rage, 2 - Melee. 2 unspent. It seems annoying to do it like that, but later on you'll be very, very confused if everyone else says they're at 52 experience but you've only got 48 marked down. Marking how you spent it keeps you from missing out on experience inadvertently.

XyloJW posted:

Homid (Human form) - Difficulty N/A (you can always revert to this form automatically, and do so when asleep or knocked out)
Default form for you all. You cannot soak (shrug off) lethal or aggravated damage in this form, and you heal like a normal human.

Glabro (Wolfman/Caveman form) - Difficulty 7
You grow a foot taller, get a little hairy, grow small claws, and basically look like a caveman. You can still speak English but your voice is deeper/rougher, and your thoughts are a little simplified. You can still use a gun in this form.
You can soak lethal and aggravated damage, but you still heal like a human.

Strength +2
Stamina +2
Appearance -1

Crinos (Werewolf form) - Difficulty 6
The 9-foot tall monster form. Cannot speak English well, and your thoughts race with Rage. You cannot use a gun unless it has been specially modified for your gigantic hands.
You can soak lethal and aggravated damage, and you heal all except Aggravated every turn.

Strength +4
Dexterity +1
Stamina +3
Appearance 0

Delirium affects all regular humans who see you in this form

Hispo (Dire wolf form) - Difficulty 7
A wolf the size of a small car. Cannot speak English at all. You deal +1 bite damage. You are completely quadrupedal and do not have opposable thumbs.
You can soak lethal and aggravated damage, but you still heal like a human.

Strength +3
Dexterity +2
Stamina +3

Lupus (wolf form) - Difficulty 6
A regular wolf. Better sense of smell than human, but worse eyesight. You are fastest in this form.
You cannot soak lethal or aggravated damage and you heal like a human.

Strength +1
Dexterity +2
Stamina +2

Also here are the basic attacks (All rolls are Dex+Brawl) in case anyone is curious about their options.
Punch -- Difficulty 6. Damage = Strength (Bashing)
Kick -- Difficulty 7. Damage = Strength +1 (Bashing)
Tackle -- Difficulty 7. Damage = None
Claw -- Difficulty 6. Damage = Strength +1 (Aggravated)
Bite -- Difficulty 5*. Damage = Strength +1** (Aggravated)

*Rat Totem changes this to Difficulty 4.
**Hispo form changes this to Strength +2.

Hi! Okay, so this will be a game of Werewolf: the Apocalypse, using the old World of Darkness rules. If you have no idea what that means, perfect!

Requirements

I'm running this for Auspol posters who have never played Werewolf before. Characters will start out as humans, so all I need you to do is to come up with a solid idea for a character and give me a brief summary of your character (age, family, friends, work, school, what kind of person they are, what they're interested in, anything relevant or interesting you might want to add to the concept). From there I'll walk each of you through the mechanics of character creation, and we'll ignore the werewolfy parts of the character sheet until that comes up in game, at which point we'll revise your character sheets. The only restriction I'll say is that you can't play someone outright evil or who just loving hates the environment.

Ordinarily in Werewolf, you'd start out with a werewolf character and you'd get to pick which of the 13 tribes, which of the 5 roles, and which of the many game-breaking perks and superpowers you'd receive, but I'll be deciding all of that for you based on how you play and what I think will fit for you. You will not need the core rulebook.

I've never done Play-By-Post before, and I know I'm on a somewhat different time schedule than you guys, so we'll start out with just me asking that you guys check in at least once a day, although hopefully we can move a lot quicker than that. Keep in mind that my time is roughly 7 hours ahead of you guys, on the previous day. 4 pm on Friday for you is 11 pm on Thursday for me. I usually go to sleep around 7 or 8 pm Australian time. If this ends up not working, I might make changes.

Setting

Werewolf is a game about two things: being a giant rampaging monster super hero and saving the environment. It's essentially Captain Planet, with more a lot more blood and monsters. This game will be set in a fictional version of Brisbane, Queensland, in March 1996. I don't know anything about Brisbane, so if I mention the roller rink or whatever and you feel like piping up that Brisbane didn't have roller rinks in 1996, save us both some time and kill you're self. The same goes for Australia in general, unless it's something major I didn't know about like how you guys all walk on your hands or something.

I'm setting the game in 1996 for a few reasons. Most people don't have a home computer, a cell phone, or even know how the internet works. John Howard has just taken office as Prime Minister, and gun laws are still relatively lax. The 90s nostalgia is just a pleasant bonus.

Acceptance

I'll be taking 8 of you, max. I know 18 people in GBS Auspol said they wanted to play, so I'm sorry for the rest of youse guys. LordPants is probably also making a game, so maybe you can get into that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I've played before so I will be watching with interest. I am assuming you will choose a dropbear or hoopsnake as the pack totem?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Gough Suppressant posted:

I've played before so I will be watching with interest. I am assuming you will choose a dropbear or hoopsnake as the pack totem?

I have something in mind for totem!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The spirit of gently caress off we're full with bans on accepting new people into the packs social circle!

Ignem
Oct 30, 2011

I'd love to play.
e: wait am I meant to put the character up now to say I want to play? At uni phone postin at the moment.

Ignem fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 10, 2014

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I have decided to play and I will be roleplaying myself IRL.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Ignem posted:

I'd love to play.
e: wait am I meant to put the character up now to say I want to play? At uni phone postin at the moment.

You guys can declare your intention to play, but before I decide on anyone, I need to see their character. I don't want to pick 8 people and then have them all have the exact same character idea, or totally opposite characters who would hate each other.

Because there're only 8 slots and I don't want 20 people to spend an hour coming up with a character only to not get in, just make your character info real short. Age, work, interests, family, anything interesting. A concept is what I'm looking for.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Just imagine the Wolf of Wall Street. That's me. All puns intended.

Mills fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 10, 2014

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lock me in. Will make a character a bit later. s'cool?

edit:

Mills posted:

I have decided to play and I will be roleplaying myself IRL.

gently caress I need to think of a new character now.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Ahaha yes, I will be Moon Moon. I've played WoD games before but never Werewolf.

quote:

Character: Selene Mǣnōn
A young student from a poor immigrant family, whose hippy parents strongly disprove of my keen interest in the emerging sport of mixed martial arts. Works part time as a bartender at the university guild bar, while halfheartedly studying a literature degree. Not politically active, but vaguely bolshie. Has a slightly estranged older brother who is a police officer.

more background edit: Family left the old country in a big hurry when Selene was a babby. Parents don't really have any contact with extended family or local migrant community, as a result Selene dngaf about cultural roots, preferring to immerse in "Aussie" "culture". Copped a lot of poo poo in school for being vaguely foreign, has kind of chip on shoulder about it.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 10, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Similar characters are fine and I might even make similar characters know each other beforehand in some way, since that helps with group cohesion.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I will play as John Winston Howard, 25th Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of Australia.

After winning the 1996 Federal Election, Prime Minister Howard is at the top of his political game. His closest colleagues are Treasurer Peter Costello (who is absolutely loyal) and Foreign Minister Alexander 'the Downer Months' Downer.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Can someone play as Craig Thompson circa 1996, a man with hidden inner demons?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Coq I said no one evil.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
Is jeering from the sidelines okay? I mostly just want to watch, at least for the first one of these.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

XyloJW posted:

Coq I said no one evil.

Tyrant.

Fine, I'll play as David Boon, retired Australian cricketer. Friends and colleagues involve Mark Taylor, Ian Healey and Alan Border. Boonie is a bit lost after retiring from the gentleman's game, and has travelled to Brisbane to find himself.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I feel like maybe you're not taking this seriously, Coq. :rolldice:

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

Tyrant.

Fine, I'll play as David Boon, retired Australian cricketer. Friends and colleagues involve Mark Taylor, Ian Healey and Alan Border. Boonie is a bit lost after retiring from the gentleman's game, and has travelled to Brisbane to find himself.

This would be loving fantastic :boonie:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
How famous is he in Australia? Fame is a background stat that costs points in this game. Like d list celebrity?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

He was an A in 1996.

Do you need more information for my character?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

XyloJW posted:

How famous is he in Australia? Fame is a background stat that costs points in this game. Like d list celebrity?

I'd say a solid C.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Mills posted:

He was an A in 1996.

Oh yeah.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I'll play, but add another slot Xylo as I'll likely die quickly, for I am:

quote:

Buggy Swires.

Buggy is a 65 year old, former dog catcher. A cantankerous drunk who blames society's ills on the rise of multiculturalism, he suffers from gout and carries an overweight, flatulent, fox terrier (also suffers from gout) called Pinochet whom he despises, but now cares for after the recent passing of his wife Millicent.

His mobility is limited to a motorised scooter (top speed 11kmp/h) and attached trailer, home to his beloved goose Mr Downer and dubbed by local wags as the Goose Wagon.

He holds a gun license and owns a gun safe.

e: name change

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 10, 2014

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Got any room? I have to play, it's in Brisbane. I will play Incendere, a goth/black clothes wearing person in a big rubber coat.

I love the old world of darkness, but I have never played werewolf.

(Holy poo poo the crow was 1994 - this is deep brisbane goth territory).

p.s thanks for the heads up Ken.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

sweetroy posted:

Is jeering from the sidelines okay? I mostly just want to watch, at least for the first one of these.

carn bro, join in

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

xutech posted:

p.s thanks for the heads up Ken.

What am I, your mother?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm in, I'll read thread fully after work and get back to you with a character concept.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I'll play as

quote:

Alf Stewart
Alf is a no nonsense, small business owning baby boomer from Summer Bay with a penchant for aussie colloquialisms, hats and bad shirts. While his sterny demeanour might seem assholish to some he can reveal his soft side when it comes to attractive beach going Gen Y's having relationship issues. He has a bad ticker from one too many burgers at the Diner and is consequently rushed to hospital once per season in between the real major plot lines.

Has been known to ride the odd dirt bike:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'll play, but add another slot Xylo as I'll likely die quickly, for I am:

Cretaceous Jones.

70 year old, retired dog catcher.

A cantankerous drunk who blames society's ills on the rise of multiculturalism, Cretaceous suffers from gout and carries a small overweight fox terrier (also suffers from gout) called Pinochet.

His mobility is limited to a motorised scooter (top speed 11kmp/h) and attached trailer, home to his beloved goose Mr Downer and dubbed by local wags as the Goose Wagon.

:patriot:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

It's Buggy Swires now. Can you please post the Goose Wagon photo for my character sheet?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I'm in.

quote:

Jarrod Herdygurder
Jarrod is a fresh-faced 19 year old, tall, lanky, who has just joined the Young Liberals at QUT. He doesn't know much about politics but his dad always told him, "Son, you have to be on the winning side!".

The Liberals have just kicked Paul Keating out of office and it looks like they're here to stay for a long time. Hell, if Jarrod works hard enough, he could be parachuted into a Liberal safe seat in 10-15 years time.

Jarrod collects tazos and has a keen interest in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. He has red hair.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's Buggy Swires now. Can you please post the Goose Wagon photo for my character sheet?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

Tyrant.

That's great, but in this alternate reality, he's a C-list celebrity on par with Kathy Griffin. Is that okay?

xutech posted:

Got any room? I have to play, it's in Brisbane.
Okay, but fictional Brisbane! I'm serious, I will flip my poo poo if I hear "But in Brisbane, avenues run north/south and streets run east/west!"

Mills posted:

He was an A in 1996.

Uh I haven't seen Wolf of Wall Street. I get that you're saying a wall street financial shark kinda guy, but gimme some personal/family history, something I can use to tie your character into the story a bit better.

sweetroy posted:

Sure, but this ain't like mafia where there's a new game every week. This could go on for quite a while!

That said, if anyone needs to drop out or whatever, that's totally fine, I have ways to slip new players or characters in.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
And one more important thing I forgot to mention: everyone is healthy. You can be old and weak and flabby and unimpressive physically, but no one has heart disease, gout, cancer, or any permanent disabilities or injuries, even if your lifestyle might make the odds of that happening very good, you're just that lucky! :)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

XyloJW posted:

And one more important thing I forgot to mention: everyone is healthy. You can be old and weak and flabby and unimpressive physically, but no one has heart disease, gout, cancer, or any permanent disabilities or injuries, even if your lifestyle might make the odds of that happening very good, you're just that lucky! :)

What?!
Can Pinochet still have gout?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

XyloJW posted:

b-b-b-bb-but my burgers?

So do I write in that I just had a triple bypass into my char sheet and can enjoy burgers again?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You ride goose wagon not because you need to but because everyone else needs you to.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I actually did get gout last year.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

The disease of kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mills posted:

I actually did get gout last year.

Too much money in your diet.

• Locked thread