Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3624071 Actual Game thread here!

Players:
1. beetroy ----- Alf Stewart
2. bell jar -----Jarrod Herdygurder
3. Bifauxnen --- Raj Narayan
4. Lizard Combatant - Buggy Swires
5. Sir Coq of Nandos - David Boon
6. splode ---------- Doug Johnson
7. thatbastardken - Selene Mǣnōn
8. Captain Pissweak - Marvin Dent

Ex:
1. Mills -------- John P Rothschild

XyloJW posted:

Experience points may be spent to improve your characters in the following ways:
Attribute: Current rating x 4. (For example, to raise Strength from 2 to 3, it would cost 2x4=8 experience points.)
Ability: Current rating x 2, minimum of 2. (For example, to raise Alertness from 0 to 1 costs 2 points. To raise from 1 to 2 costs 2 points. From 2 to 3 costs 4 points.)
Willpower/Rage/Gnosis: Current Rating. (For example, to raise Gnosis from 4 to 5 costs 4 points.)
New Power from the list I gave your character: 3 points. (This does not apply to the first 3 powers that you will be getting for free.)
New Power not from the list I gave your character: 5 points.

Experience will generally be given out after each scene, and everyone will have the same total experience points. Make sure to note somewhere how many XP you've earned and how you spent those XP. Example: 12 XP total. 5 - Strength, 3 - Rage, 2 - Melee. 2 unspent. It seems annoying to do it like that, but later on you'll be very, very confused if everyone else says they're at 52 experience but you've only got 48 marked down. Marking how you spent it keeps you from missing out on experience inadvertently.

XyloJW posted:

Homid (Human form) - Difficulty N/A (you can always revert to this form automatically, and do so when asleep or knocked out)
Default form for you all. You cannot soak (shrug off) lethal or aggravated damage in this form, and you heal like a normal human.

Glabro (Wolfman/Caveman form) - Difficulty 7
You grow a foot taller, get a little hairy, grow small claws, and basically look like a caveman. You can still speak English but your voice is deeper/rougher, and your thoughts are a little simplified. You can still use a gun in this form.
You can soak lethal and aggravated damage, but you still heal like a human.

Strength +2
Stamina +2
Appearance -1

Crinos (Werewolf form) - Difficulty 6
The 9-foot tall monster form. Cannot speak English well, and your thoughts race with Rage. You cannot use a gun unless it has been specially modified for your gigantic hands.
You can soak lethal and aggravated damage, and you heal all except Aggravated every turn.

Strength +4
Dexterity +1
Stamina +3
Appearance 0

Delirium affects all regular humans who see you in this form

Hispo (Dire wolf form) - Difficulty 7
A wolf the size of a small car. Cannot speak English at all. You deal +1 bite damage. You are completely quadrupedal and do not have opposable thumbs.
You can soak lethal and aggravated damage, but you still heal like a human.

Strength +3
Dexterity +2
Stamina +3

Lupus (wolf form) - Difficulty 6
A regular wolf. Better sense of smell than human, but worse eyesight. You are fastest in this form.
You cannot soak lethal or aggravated damage and you heal like a human.

Strength +1
Dexterity +2
Stamina +2

Also here are the basic attacks (All rolls are Dex+Brawl) in case anyone is curious about their options.
Punch -- Difficulty 6. Damage = Strength (Bashing)
Kick -- Difficulty 7. Damage = Strength +1 (Bashing)
Tackle -- Difficulty 7. Damage = None
Claw -- Difficulty 6. Damage = Strength +1 (Aggravated)
Bite -- Difficulty 5*. Damage = Strength +1** (Aggravated)

*Rat Totem changes this to Difficulty 4.
**Hispo form changes this to Strength +2.

Hi! Okay, so this will be a game of Werewolf: the Apocalypse, using the old World of Darkness rules. If you have no idea what that means, perfect!

Requirements

I'm running this for Auspol posters who have never played Werewolf before. Characters will start out as humans, so all I need you to do is to come up with a solid idea for a character and give me a brief summary of your character (age, family, friends, work, school, what kind of person they are, what they're interested in, anything relevant or interesting you might want to add to the concept). From there I'll walk each of you through the mechanics of character creation, and we'll ignore the werewolfy parts of the character sheet until that comes up in game, at which point we'll revise your character sheets. The only restriction I'll say is that you can't play someone outright evil or who just loving hates the environment.

Ordinarily in Werewolf, you'd start out with a werewolf character and you'd get to pick which of the 13 tribes, which of the 5 roles, and which of the many game-breaking perks and superpowers you'd receive, but I'll be deciding all of that for you based on how you play and what I think will fit for you. You will not need the core rulebook.

I've never done Play-By-Post before, and I know I'm on a somewhat different time schedule than you guys, so we'll start out with just me asking that you guys check in at least once a day, although hopefully we can move a lot quicker than that. Keep in mind that my time is roughly 7 hours ahead of you guys, on the previous day. 4 pm on Friday for you is 11 pm on Thursday for me. I usually go to sleep around 7 or 8 pm Australian time. If this ends up not working, I might make changes.

Setting

Werewolf is a game about two things: being a giant rampaging monster super hero and saving the environment. It's essentially Captain Planet, with more a lot more blood and monsters. This game will be set in a fictional version of Brisbane, Queensland, in March 1996. I don't know anything about Brisbane, so if I mention the roller rink or whatever and you feel like piping up that Brisbane didn't have roller rinks in 1996, save us both some time and kill you're self. The same goes for Australia in general, unless it's something major I didn't know about like how you guys all walk on your hands or something.

I'm setting the game in 1996 for a few reasons. Most people don't have a home computer, a cell phone, or even know how the internet works. John Howard has just taken office as Prime Minister, and gun laws are still relatively lax. The 90s nostalgia is just a pleasant bonus.

Acceptance

I'll be taking 8 of you, max. I know 18 people in GBS Auspol said they wanted to play, so I'm sorry for the rest of youse guys. LordPants is probably also making a game, so maybe you can get into that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Gough Suppressant posted:

I've played before so I will be watching with interest. I am assuming you will choose a dropbear or hoopsnake as the pack totem?

I have something in mind for totem!

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Ignem posted:

I'd love to play.
e: wait am I meant to put the character up now to say I want to play? At uni phone postin at the moment.

You guys can declare your intention to play, but before I decide on anyone, I need to see their character. I don't want to pick 8 people and then have them all have the exact same character idea, or totally opposite characters who would hate each other.

Because there're only 8 slots and I don't want 20 people to spend an hour coming up with a character only to not get in, just make your character info real short. Age, work, interests, family, anything interesting. A concept is what I'm looking for.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Similar characters are fine and I might even make similar characters know each other beforehand in some way, since that helps with group cohesion.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Coq I said no one evil.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
How famous is he in Australia? Fame is a background stat that costs points in this game. Like d list celebrity?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

Tyrant.

Fine, I'll play as David Boon, retired Australian cricketer. Friends and colleagues involve Mark Taylor, Ian Healey and Alan Border. Boonie is a bit lost after retiring from the gentleman's game, and has travelled to Brisbane to find himself.
That's great, but in this alternate reality, he's a C-list celebrity on par with Kathy Griffin. Is that okay?

xutech posted:

Got any room? I have to play, it's in Brisbane.
Okay, but fictional Brisbane! I'm serious, I will flip my poo poo if I hear "But in Brisbane, avenues run north/south and streets run east/west!"

Mills posted:

He was an A in 1996.

Do you need more information for my character?
Uh I haven't seen Wolf of Wall Street. I get that you're saying a wall street financial shark kinda guy, but gimme some personal/family history, something I can use to tie your character into the story a bit better.

sweetroy posted:

Is jeering from the sidelines okay? I mostly just want to watch, at least for the first one of these.
Sure, but this ain't like mafia where there's a new game every week. This could go on for quite a while!

That said, if anyone needs to drop out or whatever, that's totally fine, I have ways to slip new players or characters in.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
And one more important thing I forgot to mention: everyone is healthy. You can be old and weak and flabby and unimpressive physically, but no one has heart disease, gout, cancer, or any permanent disabilities or injuries, even if your lifestyle might make the odds of that happening very good, you're just that lucky! :)

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

What?!
Can Pinochet still have gout?

Yes.

beetroy posted:

b-b-b-bb-but my burgers?

So do I write in that I just had a triple bypass into my char sheet and can enjoy burgers again?

Your doctor warns you every day, even on his days off, that your cholesterol is through the roof, and everyone nags you to lay off the burgers and they're all very worried about you. Last year they actually held an intervention for you. But you have not had a heart attack or heart surgery, yet.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Okay!

Players:
1. beetroy
2. bell jar
3. Bifauxnen
4. Lizard Combatant
5. Mills
6. Sir Coq of Nandos
7. splode
8. thatbastardken

So here's how character creation works! Go to this site and register (just a name, password, and email, there's not even a confirmation, it's painless), and then pick Werewolf: the Apocalypse.

This is your character sheet.

This site will allow you to link your sheet in the game so we can keep track of your health throughout.

Ignore everything from Advantages on down for now. Right now, we're just doing humans, so that stuff doesn't come into it yet.

Fill in your character's name, your name, and a word or two for concept so others can go "Oh right, goose wagon guy" or whatever. The rest of that stuff up top comes later too.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
By the way, I know most of you are new to this, so if you need any help, feel free to ask. I'm going to be giving a breakdown of the whole process, of course, but I don't mind going more in depth on stuff.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I suspect it'll take a while to get this done for everyone since everyone's new, but if it ends up taking you longer than everyone else, I have alternate starting points in mind. It's a large group, and not everyone needs to be in every scene.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I will be handling all the dice rolls, so you don't need to stress over this, but here's how the system works so you can read your sheet.

In this game, every action is done by adding an Attribute and an Ability together, and rolling that many 10-sided dice. Throwing a punch is Dexterity+Brawl. If you have 3 points in Dexterity and 1 point in Brawl, you roll 4 dice. The "normal" difficulty is 6, and your goal is to get at least one die above that number. So if your 4 dice end up as 2, 2, 4, 8, then you succeeded. If you rolled 2, 3, 4, 5, you failed. If you rolled 6, 8, 9, 10, you succeeded spectacularly, and extra good things could happen.

I'll give a rundown of the abilities in a bit, but first, lets do attributes.

Everything is on a scale of 0-5, 0 being negligible, 1 being below average, 2 being average, and 5 being olympic-class/best possible. As a functioning human being, all your attributes are at least 1. Please don't make a character with a 5 in anything to start off with!

What you should do first is decide: is your character more physical, more social, or more mental? Pick which is most important to your character, and add 7 points to any of those 3 attributes. Then the second most important category gets 5 points, and the least important gets 3 points.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
A quick rundown of attributes:

Physical
Strength is how much damage you can deal with a punch or a claw or a bite. Strength is how much you can lift and carry.
Dexterity is how good you are with your hands and your balance and coordination. It determines whether your punch lands, whether you're on target with your gun, how fast you run, how quiet you sneak.
Stamina is how durable you are, mentally and physically. This reduces damage taken.

Social
Charisma is how friendly, charming, and likeable you are.
Manipulation is how tricky, deceptive, and conniving you are.
Appearance is your appearance. People may judge you based on this.

Mental
Perception is how observant you are and how good your senses are.
Intelligence is your booksmarts and memory.
Wits is your reaction time and adaptability.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Bifauxnen posted:

Can we borrow one point here or there? I was going to put social last for Raj, but that'd leave him at absolute minimum 1 point everything. I don't want hubby complaining when I get home that I made the Fresh Raj of BrisAir look like a neckbeard when he could've at least been "average". He could probably stand to lose a point off of physical stuff, too.

After you pick your abilities, there will be 10 "freebie" points you can spend to flesh out any holes in your character. An Attribute costs 5 freebie points, an ability costs 2 point, and Willpower costs 1 point.

E: Well, if you're talking about subtracting from physical, yeah, I'll allow that.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Wait, if social is your last, you'd have 2 in everything, which is average.

All Attributes start at 1, and you get to add 7, 5, or 3 points to that.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Abilities: If you don't have any points in an ability, you can usually still try to do that thing, just not with much luck. If you had zero points in Brawl and tried to throw a punch, you'd just be rolling your Dexterity score. Get it? There are a few exceptions to that, though (mostly Knowledges, but things like Etiquette as well). You can't try to know things you don't know.

There are 30 of these, so I'm not going to go over them all. I'll explain a few that aren't clear here, though. If you have a question on any, let me know. And again, please don't have 5 in something at creation.

For Abilities, you once again rank them, but this time you add 13 to your best, 9 to your second best, and 5 to your worst.

Talents
Empathy determines how good you are at seeing how people really feel and how honest they're being. It might also be used to manipulate others' emotions.
Expression is writing skills. Speeches, arguments, essays.
Primal Urge is how good you are at shapeshifting. Okay, I'll just say, at character creation, you guys can take up to 1 point in this if you want. It's a useful skill for a werewolf, but there's no real reason for a human to have it. Take a point here if you want to be a 'natural' at it later on.
Streetwise is stuff like knowing the right handshakes to not get you beat up, and knowing how a drug deal goes down, and maybe what beat cops tend to run. All the little things you pick up from living in the ghetto.
Subterfuge is lying and being deceptive.

Skills
Animal Ken is how much of a Steve Irwin you are. How good are you at dealing with animals?
Crafts is if you can build a thing. Make a note somewhere what craft your character is good at, like carpentry, car repair, welding, etc.
Drive is your car skill. Vroom vroom. If you don't have a point here, you don't have a license.
Etiquette is knowing how not to embarrass yourself in formal settings.
Melee is your skill with a knife, sword, hammer, whatever. It's not a gun but not your fists.
Performance is like acting and drama stuff.
Survival is wilderness survival stuff. Camping skills.

Knowledges
Enigmas is puzzles, I guess in case I throw the Riddler at you guys.
Linguistics is how many languages you know. For each point here, you can speak a language other than English. Make sure to note somewhere what languages you speak.
Rituals is how good you are at werewolf spells. Again, there's no reason for your humans to have this, so if you think you're character is going to be all about mystic rites and ceremonies, you can take a point here and we'll just say you're a natural at it later on.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Finally, Willpower, down at the bottom. Everyone gets 4 here. Make sure to select the 4th bubble and hit all 4 checkmarks. Sometimes your willpower will be tested, so we need to know your max willpower. But you can also spend willpower to automatically succeed at something. You get 1 willpower back every day or every scene, I haven't decided yet.

Now as I mentioned a bit ago, you get 10 "freebie" points to spend to fill any holes you've had. If you want to bump up an Attribute, it costs 5 freebies. If you want to increase an Ability, it's 2 freebies, and if you want to increase your Willpower it's 1 freebie.

Whenever you guys are done, click save, and link your character sheet for all the world to see!

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Mills posted:

So I have one attribute with 8 points, one attribute with 6 points, one attribute with 4 points and six attributes with 1 point?

Everything except Willpower is on a scale of 0-5, but I'm asking everyone to limit it to 4 at creation. Willpower is the only thing that can go up to 10.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

LordPants posted:

Should I create another OOC/Recruitment thread or can we shoot the poo poo in here?

edit: actually we're playing different games so that'd be dumb. Also what is your position on double dipping? Should they have to nominate which game they want to play or can they do both?

Eh. I guess I don't mind if someone plays in both if they can keep up in both.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Whoops I forgot to say how many points you use for abilities. I've edited it in above, but it's 13/9/5.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Here is a sample!

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/33208

Mills posted:

How does this look?

That looks perfect! I assume from all the points in firearms, streetwise, and survival that your guy had a rough childhood/adolescence?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Double click to undo a point, it took me a few minutes to figure that out too. You may want to put a point in etiquette or leadership, if you do business lunches and don't want to embarrass yourself. Unless your dude just loving doesn't care and browbeats clients, I dunno it's up to you!

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Streetwise is stuff like knowing the right handshakes to not get you beat up, and knowing how a drug deal goes down, and maybe what beat cops tend to run. All the little things you pick up from living in the ghetto.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Mills posted:

I made changes! :neckbeard:

That looks totally perfect, and I've already got a bunch of ideas in my head for your character. I hope you don't get too offended if I don't know the day-to-day workings of investment banking.

By the way, when I played Werewolf, my character was pretty similar to yours.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Ignem posted:

Awww what Xylo you big jerk why aren't I on the list :(
I was the first here :(

Sorry, you didn't make a character. I was going to wait longer, but after 6 hours, I had like 12 great characters, with only 8 slots.

You can type up a character if you want, and when someone inevitably drops out, I'll come back and look at potential replacements.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

That looks good. I assume your point in linguistics is some slavic language?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I highly doubt I'll ever need to be more specific than "some slavic language." If I throw a bad guy in and they're speaking Czech, I'm not going to bust your balls and say you can't understand because you only speak Romanian.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Awesome, that's a really clear concept and I know exactly what I'm going to do with your character.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Which skill should represent the superior carrying ability of the Goose Wagon? Strength?

your wagon is not part of your character! Strength would be how much the guy can lift, but didn't you say he was 70?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Awesome. I've got a bunch of ideas for your character.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah his strength will be low. Can I trade some initial points for an capacity bonus?

You will not need to trade for that, I have something in mind to help you there, if your character is going the way I think he is going.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Also I'm glad someone put points in Willpower. They're basically get-out-of-jail free cards that will save your life in emergencies.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

A timely death?

OK, thanks. I'll make the sheet for Buggy as he is. Don't forget to include Pinochet and Mr Downer as special items.

Oh believe me I won't forget about that.

Bifauxnen posted:

Here we go:

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/33205

Linguistics point is for Hindi. Overall, Raj has a high focus on mental and knowledge stuff, much less focus on social stuff. But AnimalKen is high cause he likes to watch Captain Planet and loves nature and animals. :3: Physical stats are middling cause his parents did sign him up for karate and stuff, but he's still way more of a nerd.

Cool! I see you went for additional skills over Attributes. :) I see he has a point in crafts. What kind of crafts did you have in mind? Woodworking, model building, car repair?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

Boonie faced down fast bowlers and multiple tinnies in equal measure. He is the epitome of the nuggety Tasmanian.

I don't know any of those words, man, but okay.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Okay, so general fix-it-ness. Got it.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

Am I ok to make some alterations at this stage? Also I take it you're handling our backgrounds?

Yes to both of these things.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

Am I ok to make some alterations at this stage? Also I take it you're handling our backgrounds?

Basically some backgrounds reflect your human life and backstory stuff, and some reflect your werewolf stuff, so rather than have everyone load up on human stuff exclusively, I'll just handle it. Mills obviously would have maxed out the Resources background, but others may find some supernatural stuff in there.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/33216?message=true

e: Updated. Let me know if I've fudged the Dex skill Xylow, I want him to be a crack shot and good driver but obviously he's an old dude and can't run for poo poo.

Dex is fine but I think you misspent your freebies. You have 2 extra in skills (4 points), 3 extra in knowledges (6 points), and 3 extra in willpower (3 points).

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oh whoops, how's that now?

You get 10 freebie points to spend in addition to everything else. 5 points buys you an Attribute, 2 points buys you an ability, 1 point buys you a willpower.

You have 7/5/3 attributes, so you're fine there. For abilities, you have 15/9/8, instead of 13/9/5, which means you bought 5 abilities for 10 points, and then you have 7 willpower instead of the normal 4, which means you spent 3 there. You're 3 points over, so whether you want to take away 2 skills and get an extra willpower, or drop a willpower and a skill, or all 3 willpower is up to you.

Splode posted:

I completely forgot about my freebies, I think? Maybe not, I copied Mills for quantities

I checked everyone's math and they all worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

But I only have 6 willpower? I'll just drop a skill.
e: done

Ah yeah, sorry, it's really late here so I guess I miscounted. Okay, it's all cool now!

• Locked thread