Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

quote:

Steve Ott ‏@otterN9NE 2h
It was a helluva race but congratz to Edler for taking @ovi8 and myself down! Gold jacket Green jacket who gives a poo poo.

Ott's kinda funny sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

burf posted:

Ott's kinda funny sometimes

i hate steve ott but that's pretty good

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Even Van Massenhoven thinks Steve Ott is funny. Luckily for Chicago, he's also a gigantic defensive liability these days.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
So Bob Hartley is a pretty awesome guy!

Jason Botchford posted:

UGLIEST SCENE

It never did flip into mayhem, but it was feared over at Rogers Arena for a moment or four. While Daniel was on the ice, Bob Hartley was chewing out the refs for giving Byron a penalty even though neither had called it one in real time.

In a quieted arena, his was the only voice you could hear.

Hartley was screeching about a penalty in a mean nothing game. He was doing it with a team’s star lying motionless on the ice and in front of his the star’s brother.

There are times to be worried about a match penalty and times not to be. Tonight was the moment for a little humanity.

The lack of compassion impacted Henrik emotionally, among others on that Canucks bench, and it’s one of the reasons Hank left the ice.

The refs explained to Hartley they didn’t think it was a penalty but they were within their right to consult the linesmen, who did.

Hartley was furious. He demanded the Canucks be assessed a two-minute penalty for having multiple players in the Byron melee following the hit.

There was then concern all of this was going to set off Mt. Torts again. He was as enraged as he was in mid-January, though he did feel some vindication that his players were seeing how dark and cold his sworn blood enemy Hartley can be.

With the history here, security was frantically called in from all over the building to man the benches, dressing room corridors and the halls outside in an attempt to quell another potential uprising.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/04/13/the-van-provies-the-daniel-incident-ends-the-season-and-the-provies/

I guess I can understand not wanting a penalty but why bother caring in the last game of the year down 4-1 with no chance of making the playoffs. I did think the idea of security running in to stop Torts kind of funny though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's the player's coach mentality. You stand up for your guys pretty much no matter what.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good news everyone!

Hilary Duff called off the divorce.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

That reads like it's gonna burst into erotic fan fiction at any second.

As Torts pulsated with a growing agitation he suddenly began to notice the thick masculinity of the security guards, row after man-in-uniform row. He could smell them... John knew if he was ever going to get a piece of Bob that now was his chance, that he would have to run the gauntlet of all those men.

Torts knows tonight may be his final chance. Knows this moment may never come again. He pushes himself forward and thrusts off the bench, only to be stopped and held by the strong arms of a veritable harem of all those men. He struggled to no avail against their embrace, only managing to get sucked into them ever deeper, ever tighter.

That's when he heard that songbird call. It was Bob:

"Let him come."

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 14, 2014

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Good news everyone!

Hilary Duff called off the divorce.

The Daily Mail tells me they are separated but 'still good friends.' Now I'm not sure WHAT to believe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

The Daily Mail tells me they are separated but 'still good friends.' Now I'm not sure WHAT to believe.

It can be both. No divorce, no splitting assets.

She doesn't want to give up that sweet Brick money.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I'm 95% sure that Brodeur played his last NHL game.

Dreger and McKenzie are suggesting that Spezza will be traded in the offseason. Jeff O'Neill also did but he's a fat idiot.

ffffffffffcuuuuuuck don't bite Sather, don't bite.

burf posted:

Spezza was really bad at the start of this year but since the Olympics he's looked really really good. To the point where I really don't want to see him traded if he can keep it up.

On the other hand, Spezza's back is going to explode sometime in the next few years, making signing him long-term a really bad idea.

Isn't this basically what people have been saying about Spezza for the past several years? He goes through slumps where he's terrible and everyone wants to get rid of him, then he looks awesome and everyone is like "oh yeah he's a really good player awesome!" and then he injures his back and people lament "well maybe he'll stay healthy and keep it up next year but I dunno about longterm..."

Wippersnapper posted:

So Bob Hartley is a pretty awesome guy!

Jordan7hm posted:

It's the player's coach mentality. You stand up for your guys pretty much no matter what.

Bob Hartley is a piece of poo poo and if you haven't read what Scott Parker said about him you probably should. Doesn't really seem like much of a "players coach" kind of guy so much as a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ryan Kesler was named the Canucks MVP for some reason. Zack Kassian was the most exciting player.

That kinda sums up how awful this season was I guess.

e: Not one player played 82 games for the Canucks this year. Garrison had 81.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 14, 2014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Just to illustrate how incredibly stupid the new playoff system is, here are the standings in an EHM league following the NHL's schedule: http://www.ehechockey.com/standings.php

The Central division is such a tire fire that a .500 team (82 points) managed to snag the 3rd seed, bumping an 89 point Pacific division team out of the playoffs altogether. The playoff brackets by placement in the west look like this:

Central
4 vs 5
8 vs 9

Pacific
1 vs 6
2 vs 3

7 (Edmonton) misses altogether. What a steaming pile of poo poo.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

eXXon posted:

7 (Edmonton) misses altogether. What a steaming pile of poo poo.

Agreed, any simulation that has Oilers at 7 is total poo poo

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
hm that's weird I fuckin love Bob Hartley

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
trotz is done in nashville. :(

any team that needs a coach and doesn't hire him deserves to fail forever. really questioning nashville letting him go until i see who replaces him. hope he destroys the league wherever he goes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

jsoh posted:

Agreed, any simulation that has Oilers at 7 is total poo poo

The league started 5 seasons ago, any idiot could have managed the Oilers better over the last 5 years than KLowe et al. Actually in this case it was several different idiots.

Trevor Bird posted:

trotz is done in nashville. :(

any team that needs a coach and doesn't hire him deserves to fail forever. really questioning nashville letting him go until i see who replaces him. hope he destroys the league wherever he goes.

Rumour or confirmed? Hey Dave, are you paying attention? Carlyle should be fired yesterday.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oh my god fire Torts and hire Trotz Trevor.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
confirmed.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Hire him GMGM

HIRE HIM

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yeah, the local beat guy broke it.

Nashville without Trotz, I don't know what to do. Somebody hold me.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He just had to stick around for a couple more seasons and he could have coached a player born after he was hired. :(

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Hey Linen: fire torts hire trotz

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't know how much influence Trotz had in management and development but on the surface it's bizarre to blame him for having one of the worst forward lineups and for an injury derailing their goaltender situation and still only finishing 3 points back of the playoffs.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

ownership wants goals, lots of goals, all the goals you can handle. 3 points out with mostly carter hutton should get an extension.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Poile and Trotz have worked together for just over 20 years. Reports are that a rift has been forming between them recently.

The Preds are not prone to many kneejerk reactions.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
According to the NHL app he's being offered a different job in the organization.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
noooooo turn north trotz

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Him being kept in the org is a lot less dumb than I initially thought of the situation but still, Jesus, Poile is a first class moron.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

If Brendan Shanahan doesn't end this press conference and immediately get on a flight to Nashville with a huge bag of money with Trotz's name on it he's failed at his job.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

mentholmoose posted:

According to the NHL app he's being offered a different job in the organization.

that's pretty much just the team being nice. no way in hell he takes that job unless he just wants a paycheck to take a year off. he'll have plenty of coaching offers after the playoffs.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

How would Trotz fit in Washington? Does he hate offense or has he just had the worst forwards in the NHL?

Also, how fat is he compared to Boudreau? Is he a fat gently caress, fatter than Ken loving Hitchcock, what are we talking here? This is important.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
^^^^ He's not fat, he just doesn't have a neck.

Trevor Bird posted:

that's pretty much just the team being nice. no way in hell he takes that job unless he just wants a paycheck to take a year off. he'll have plenty of coaching offers after the playoffs.

Boy uh I sure hope the Blues aren't looking for a change in scenery after their first round flameout this year because the Preds might've just bought themselves a one way ticket to not winning their division for like ten years.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 14, 2014

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Mind_Taker posted:

How would Trotz fit in Washington? Does he hate offense or has he just had the worst forwards in the NHL?

Also, how fat is he compared to Boudreau? Is he a fat gently caress, fatter than Ken loving Hitchcock, what are we talking here? This is important.

He's not so much fat as keg-shaped.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

VJeff posted:

^^^^ He's not fat, he just doesn't have a neck.

Boy uh I sure hope the Blues aren't looking for a change in scenery after their first round flameout this year because the Preds might've just bought themselves a one way ticket to not winning their division for like ten years.

seriously doubt he'd take hitchcock's job. they're oddly-shaped best friends. there are other places for him.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Who are the "good" coaching candidates available this offseason? Trotz, Laviolette, and? I'm not up to date on the hot assistants and AHL guys.

Trotz and Laviolette I'd have to assume are the 1a and 1b for most teams looking for coaches since they both have a track record of success in the NHL.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Don't worry the Capitals are going to hire Peter Bondra and Rod Langway, don't need no experienced NHL coaches, along with goaltending coach Don Beaupre.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Trevor Bird posted:

seriously doubt he'd take hitchcock's job. they're oddly-shaped best friends. there are other places for him.

Yeah my guess right now is Washington.

....right after the owner fires GMGM and Oates and installs General Manager SERGEI FEDOROV. :unsmigghh:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

VJeff posted:

Yeah my guess right now is Washington.

....right after the owner fires GMGM and Oates and installs General Manager SERGEI FEDOROV. :unsmigghh:

You mean GM/player Sergei Fedorov.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I could see Trotz in Washington, but for some reason I don't see it working out. Nashville has been a good defensive team for years, it seems like that's what they've really built their identity around, and a lot of that has to do with the players he was given. I'm having a hard time envisioning "Barry Trotz Hockey" with a team with some great offensive weapons, but no secondary scoring and a meager defense. Either Trotz or the team is going to have to change their style, or more realistically, they're both going to have to adapt and meet somewhere in the middle. There will be growing pains, and I don't think Caps fans/ownership have the patience for that anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I think Washington goes back to the hardass coach model in their never ending pendulum and hires Lavy. I don't know where Trotz ends up, the east I'm hoping, because man that guy could win hockey games with AHL rosters on an alarmingly consistent basis.

• Locked thread