Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
How the magic gently caress do you fire Trotz of all people? He's like the best coach year in and year out. Nashville without Trotz doesn't even seem like Nashville anymore. God drat Poile is dumb. Bad and dumb move.

Please send Trotz out of the west. Please for the love of god don't let him become head coach of the Canucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

It wasn't a terrible hit and as soon as danny said he was fine i guess the nhl made up their minds.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

hifi posted:

It wasn't a terrible hit and as soon as danny said he was fine i guess the nhl made up their minds.

He was looking at Sedin's back for at least a second as they both skated towards the boards. As Sedin was stopping at the boards he put his left hand on Sedin's shoulder, and his right hand directly between Sedin's numbers and pushed him head first towards the boards, from behind, using both hands, and from a very dangerous distance.

How is that not a "terrible hit"?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

He was looking at Sedin's back for at least a second as they both skated towards the boards. As Sedin was stopping at the boards he put his left hand on Sedin's shoulder, and his right hand directly between Sedin's numbers and pushed him head first towards the boards, from behind, using both hands, and from a very dangerous distance.

Well I think he turned INTO the hit!

Well I think he was BEING CARELESS!

Well I think the plane is actually in NORTH KOREA!

It's the same by my eyes as it always is. Danny did a poo poo job protecting himself, and Byron should have pulled up way before. So there's no consensus and this goes on for pages.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Fart Amplifier posted:

He didn't leave his feet and he didn't paste his head into the boards with his elbows. I expected 1-2 games from all the commercial breaks but I guess 5 and the game is about right when there's no injury.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

And to the "Oh, they waited until it came out there was no injury" talking point, when injuries factor into punishment... yes?

We wanted injury to be part of punishment after hockey punch player. This is the result. I still like it better than the alternative.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Veskit posted:

How the magic gently caress do you fire Trotz of all people? He's like the best coach year in and year out. Nashville without Trotz doesn't even seem like Nashville anymore. God drat Poile is dumb. Bad and dumb move.

Poile doesn't want to admit that it's his own fault that his roster is so bad. I think Trotz got more out of it than anyone would have predicted.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DOOMocrat posted:

Well I think he turned INTO the hit!

Well I think he was BEING CARELESS!

Well I think the plane is actually in NORTH KOREA!

It's the same by my eyes as it always is. Danny did a poo poo job protecting himself, and Byron should have pulled up way before. So there's no consensus and this goes on for pages.

Are you responding to me because you don't think that it was a bad hit? If you are chasing someone into the boards that it is ok to check them, on purpose and on the numbers, into the glass from a dangerous distance?

How do you suggest Daniel protect himself? He was turning his back away from Byron, who made an effort to put his hand on the numbers and push him towards the boards.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DOOMocrat posted:

And to the "Oh, they waited until it came out there was no injury" talking point, when injuries factor into punishment... yes?

We wanted injury to be part of punishment after hockey punch player. This is the result. I still like it better than the alternative.

Factoring injuries into suspensions is stupid, and nobody intelligent would actually want that.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Awareness is a responsibility of all players on the ice every bit as much as boarding is a penalty. I don't think that's contentious. Futhermore, I even added a little bit at the end explaining how I saw it!

(If I wanted to be contentious I would say something along the lines of "And I bet if Verne Troyer hit him, his ankle would break)

Fart Amplifier posted:

Factoring injuries into suspensions is stupid, and nobody intelligent would actually want that.

I still do, so I'm stupid I guess! Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will only break Daniel Sedin's hollow bird skeleton.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DOOMocrat posted:

Awareness is a responsibility of all players on the ice every bit as much as boarding is a penalty. I don't think that's contentious. Futhermore, I even added a little bit at the end explaining how I saw it!

I still don't understand what your point is. Should boarding ever be suspendable?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

I still don't understand what your point is. Should boarding ever be suspendable?

What? Yes! I am assigning some responsibility to both sides, not unilaterally agreeing with you. That's not a personal attack, man.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DOOMocrat posted:

I still do, so I'm stupid I guess! Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will only break Daniel Sedin's hollow bird skeleton.

Players do not want to hurt other players. This specific instance is someone wanting to hit effectively but doing it in a dangerous manner. Punishing based on the injury will never be effective because people don't intend on causing spinal injury or concussions to other players. Since they don't plan on doing so, suspending based on something they don't plan on doing is ineffective.

90+% of boarding results in no injuries but there is a considerable risk of severe injury or even death. Given that such risk hasn't deterred boarding, the players obviously do not consider the chance of such injury high enough to worry about, and so adding a suspension to such risk in cases of injury will do nothing.

Clearly, to deter boarding and other dangerous behavior, there needs to be a punishment on the dangerous behavior rather than chance injuries that happen after the action taken by the offending player.

I'm not going to act like this is a matter of opinion as it's not. If your goal is to reduce the chance of severe injury or death the only sensible path is to take injury out of the suspension process.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

Players do not want to hurt other players. This specific instance is someone wanting to hit effectively but doing it in a dangerous manner. Punishing based on the injury will never be effective because people don't intend on causing spinal injury or concussions to other players. Since they don't plan on doing so, suspending based on something they don't plan on doing is ineffective.

90+% of boarding results in no injuries but there is a considerable risk of severe injury or even death. Given that such risk hasn't deterred boarding, the players obviously do not consider the chance of such injury high enough to worry about, and so adding a suspension to such risk in cases of injury will do nothing.

Clearly, to deter boarding and other dangerous behavior, there needs to be a punishment on the dangerous behavior rather than chance injuries that happen after the action taken by the offending player.

I'm not going to act like this is a matter of opinion as it's not. If your goal is to reduce the chance of severe injury or death the only sensible path is to take injury out of the suspension process.

I'm mostly with you until the third paragraph. Since existing suspensions are (Admittedly, very inconsistently) levied on plays that do not injure, doesn't additional punishment in the case of injury act as an additional deterrent?

Edit: We're probably in full agreement that the DoPS drops the ball in cases like this quite frequently.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

VJeff posted:

Pens hire Trotz, sign Miller.

I quietly contemplate switching to basketball.
Good god that would be amazing on all accounts.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Brain Curry posted:

That contract looks bad, but Clowe still managed to put up more points with a better +/- than Clarkson, and for slightly cheaper.

One is bad, the other is hilariously awful

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DOOMocrat posted:

Since existing suspensions are (Admittedly, very inconsistently) levied on plays that do not injure, doesn't additional punishment in the case of injury act as an additional deterrent?

I doubt it. As I said, with a few exceptions injury is not the intent of a player when hitting (although immediate pain probably is). I'd argue that the risk of laying someone out with a severe injury is probably more of a deterrent than the threat of a suspension, but again, since it's unexpected, that scenario is not taken into account.

The only way to reduce injuries is to instate direct and consistent negative penalties on excessive plays such as boarding and head hits, regardless of injuries> I'd also argue that consistent penalties should be placed on the player himself and penalties on the team which quickly escalate over the course of a year for repeated infractions.

Really it's not this specific instance that frustrates me. I believe that the NHL is heading down a course where someone is going to die on the ice from a bad hit, and because there's such inconsistency with the discipline, there's no real guide to the players at all as to how they're supposed to behave.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

eXXon posted:

Poile doesn't want to admit that it's his own fault that his roster is so bad. I think Trotz got more out of it than anyone would have predicted.

It's pretty hilarious (read: retarded) that Trotz isn't the one that didn't expend the slightest amount of effort to get a goaltender instead of giving four years to Viktor fuckin' Stalberg until it was way too late yet he's the one getting fired.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

Trotz has been around for a very long time. Nashville hasn't got past the second round, even when they were favored to make some damage in the playoffs, and in the last decade+ has won all of 16 playoff games. They've now missed the playoffs twice in a row.

If he wasn't in a small market, he'd have been dumped years ago. Poile probably would have too, but it has to start somewhere.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
^^ Yeah but this is mainly because Nashville has never actually had a legit first line. They're basically a team made of third and fourth liners on the forward crew all the time propped up by good defense and really good goaltending when their goalie isn't dead.

It's going to be really funny when the Preds hire someone who isn't as good as Trotz and finish last in the league next year with a record low 20 goals scored all year.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
barry is crying at the press conference :(

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Trotz tearing up at the presser.

:(

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HookShot posted:

^^ Yeah but this is mainly because Nashville has never actually had a legit first line. They're basically a team made of third and fourth liners on the forward crew all the time propped up by good defense and really good goaltending when their goalie isn't dead.

It's going to be really funny when the Preds hire someone who isn't as good as Trotz and finish last in the league next year with a record low 20 goals scored all year.

That's probably true. On the other hand, Trotz seems to play guys in such a way that they won't get a lot of points. Chicken or egg thing going on here. The only way to find out is to fire the coach and try somebody else.

Also, if the Preds are going to have a terrible year with a new coach, next year is the year to do it.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
this is so sad to watch. trotz is a great guy and a great coach. i hope he wins 9 cups when the pens lose in the 1st round this year. shero will snap him up.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
BREAKING: Trotz still has "the juice."

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
The Fourth Period is poo poo for the most part, but here's this:

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 3h
Whispers getting louder in DC. Not confirmed yet, but barring last min change, sounds like Caps GM George McPhee & coach Adam Oates are out.

I'm crossing my fingers for you Caps fans

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Botterill & Laviolette would run circles around GMGM and Oates.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Firing a coach has historically been the GM's last resort before he is fired himself the next year, so if Nashville tanks in 2015 you may see Poile on the breadline come April

See also: Gillis, Mike; Waddell, Don; Nonis, Dave (future)

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Tortarella and the media. Keep this man in hockey forever.

http://deadspin.com/john-tortorella...dium=socialflow

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I was farting around hockeydb today and this jumped out at me a bit:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1601

648 PIMs in 73 games? Has anyone had more in a pro season?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
The Nashville Predators didn't allow a shorthanded goal all season

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

bewbies posted:

no: http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/pen_min_season.html

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Only Marc-Andre Roy has had more in a hockey season, and he did it in the Q in 2002-03

Wait I'm wrong,

Here:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/archive/index.php/t-1071673.html

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 14, 2014

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

bewbies posted:

527 in 48 games http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=50156

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

50 points with all those PIM is pretty impressive though.

He even got 9 NHL games, where he managed 44 PIM.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Does the LNAH really count though?

(no)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
After the lockout, the Preds were a top-10 scoring team in 05-06 and 06-07, as they were led by a non-broken Paul Kariya and a ragtag group of guys like Dumont, Legwand, Sullivan, Erat, and Arnott. The perception that they never had a first-line is mostly a recent phenomenon.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I'm afraid that Nashville is going to lose Mitch Korn out of all of this too :ohdear:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Today, Lance Hornby gave out his final report card for the Leafs team. A lot of players lost marks because of the disastrous March/April. Can you guess who the highest non-goaltending grade was? I would link the article, but gently caress The Sun.

quote:

RW Phil Kessel B minus

Game breaker with his lethal shot, but streaky nature stopped him from 40 goals and stalled the offence ... Too soft and not a leader? That can be said of many Leafs paid to do those jobs.

A guy who scores 37 goals, finishes fifth in the league in goals, and sixth in points? Too streaky!

quote:

C Nazem Kadri C minus

More conflicting reviews after his first full season ... Made strides with his defensive play, but still a risk with the puck ... Career high in goals, but less of an irritant to play against and often over-acted to draw penalties.

I hope Kadri is traded to a team I like.

quote:

C Dave Bolland C

The great ‘what if?’ ... If he plays all year, would the Leafs have gone so far south, on the ice and in the dressing room? ... Did he come back too quickly from ankle surgery? And will he come back at all in ‘14-15?

Yes. Who knows. And Yes (the Leafs need to add another terrible contract to the pile)

quote:

C Tyler Bozak B

Less and less carping from people about his first-line capabilities ... Career year in goals and points and would’ve done better without injuries, but faceoffs still a work in progress.

Yes, Bozak is the highest graded non-Bernier player. If only Kessel was not so streaky!

quote:

Jonathan Bernier A

Was clear team MVP, as sloppy mates turned his front porch into a shooting gallery. It did lead to him setting a team save percentage record, but he came here to show what he could do in the playoffs.

James Reimer C minus

Bernier’s arrival was supposed to push Reimer to greater heights, instead the former No. 1 might be shoved out this summer. Long string of losses when Bernier was hurt showed the talent and style difference between them.

I had to pair these two grades together, because I think there's a difference in perception from the tandem that I watched, and the tandem the media watched. I don't think I am wrong in saying that Reimer was not the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Edit: ^^ Please Don't Post Toronto Sun Gibberish tia ^^

Also I'm having a hard time thinking of guys whose scoring was either suppressed by going to NSH or who broke out after leaving. Mike Fisher transitioned just fine, Legwand's scoring went down after heading to Detroit with a high S% (small sample though).

There's Stalberg, but his S% is down and he actually sucks, so. I dunno, I don't think Trotz suppresses offence, I think his rosters have just sucked since the Forsberg deal.

• Locked thread