Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

How the gently caress could you possibly be involved in professional hockey at any level and give a poo poo about +/-.

A lot of players really care about it because they think it represents how they perform defensively. It's being reinforced by coaches, most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

The US World Championships team was announced:

http://www.usahockey.com/news_article/show/376281?referrer_id=752796

A lot of rookies/college players, guess they didn't want to invite Nick Bjugstad? All of the US goalies from last year are in the playoffs right now, so I don't know who else would go. Corey Schneider doesn't have anything to do right now.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

T-Bone posted:

They invite a lot of good people who don't want to go.

Yeah, it seems more like a place for younger players on non-playoff teams to get some more experience. Nothing wrong with that.

DOOMocrat posted:

Works in Dallas.

Dallas is top 10 in FenClose, though.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Gunjin posted:

Torts ending up in DC is one of my biggest fears, but I don't think it will happen. I honestly think if he's let go it's going to take a few years in a TV studio or as an assistant or AHL/overseas coach before Torts gets another shot at an NHL head job (if he ever does).

Vancouver had positive possession and were unlucky, yet I'd still agree on not bringing in Tortorella.

St. Louis Blues prospect Jake Allen wins Goalie of the Year in the AHL.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Okay here's a list of coaches

NHL

Peter LaViolette-last coached the Flyers to the playoffs missed playoffs once, was on the US Olympic staff and will coach the US Worlds

Barry Trotz- Only coach in Nashville history, made expansion team perennial playoff team

Claude Noel- Coached the Jets and got fired

Kevin Dineen- Coached the Florida Panthers, was fired, guided Canadian Women to Olympic Gold

Ron Rolston- ahaha this guy's going back to the AHL if he's lucky

Phil Housley- Predators assistant coach won Gold in 2013 with US World Junior squad

I don't know any other assistants...

AHL

Willie Desjardins- Texas Stars HC has lead the team to two straight seasons as Western Conference regular season champions and best record in AHL this year, 12-13 Coach of the Year

Jeff Blashill- Lead Grand Rapids to the Calder Cup Championship in 2013, contention for 2 division titles, reigning coach of the year

Brad Larsen- Lead his Springfield Falcons to two consecutive division titles, young at 37

John Hynes- WBS Pens head coach has always had team in playoffs, would join a coaching tree including Bylsma,Todd Richards, Therrien

Luke Richardson- Binghamton Senators Coach has team contending again for a division title

Keith McCambridge- IceCaps coach started strong in 11-12 and has rebounded from poor second season with impressive third

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

jsoh posted:

Is that them resting players before playoffs or does the org just really love to spit in Arcobellos face?

Most teams rested players today, there were no playoff spots up for grabs.

fits posted:

Arcobello's been jurt for a while

That too, I suppose.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

The reaction to Kessel's tweets was very crappie.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

T-Bone posted:

welp the US gets Tyler Johnson for the WC probably so that's nice

Nate Thompson plays in the WCs sometimes

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Speaking of advanced stats I have a question! I can't for the life of me figure out to get, say, three players from different teams on one usage chart with Extra Skater. Does anyone know a simple way to do this?

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

canuckanese posted:

Pull up one player, click the "Compare" button on their sheet, then add whoever you want to compare them to. Then click the option for "Show usage chart"

Ha, just figured it out. Thanks, though!

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

VJeff posted:

Not sure I agree even with the extra cap space he'd take, but I see where you're coming from. Depends on the Summer he has, I guess.

In other news,
@HeleneStJames: #RedWings assign Tomas Jurco, Riley Sheahan, Xavier Ouellet and Jake Paterson to Grand Rapids Griffins.

And Mantha's headed there too if V'al Dor loses their next game, so, uh, I think the Griffins will probably successfully defend their title.

Everyone expected Syracuse to win last year and they lost...to Grand Rapids. Don't count on it!

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

So... Evgeni Nabokov's contract is up. Whatcha gonna do about it, Islanders? A Poulin/Nilsson tandem is not acceptable. Capgeek tells me that upcoming UFA goalies are

Miller (Yes.)
Brodeur (:toxx: If the Isles sign Fatty I will piss on Nassau Coliseum.)
Hiller (Yes.)
Timmy (No.)
Halak (Sure)
Dubnyk (Nah.)
Bryz (Comedy option, and honestly, what I expect.)
Khabibulin (No)
Vokoun (Broken?)

Please do something, Garth. Also, gently caress Capuano. Get Trotz. Get a goalie. Get competent.

Brian Elliott is an upcoming UFA as well.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Ugh... reminded that Caps gave up Eakin for Ribeiro. Between that trade, the Erat trade (although the Penner trade was OK as Neuvirth is dead) and letting Perreault walk, GMGM :argh:

They didn't let Perrault "walk", they traded him for a guy who barely played in the AHL this year and a draft pick. Then that pick was traded back to Anaheim for Dustin Penner, and then the pick was traded to Dallas for Stephane Robidas. In reality, it might have been worse than letting him walk.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Zamboni Jesus posted:

despite their reputation for good drafting, the wings were never really a building from the inside kind of team, especially pre-cap when they were one of the highest spending teams in the league. also the current griffins/wings would fit with the three year lag argument.

yeah but the capitals won a lot of regular season games during that same period!

The Caps of that same period did have a lot of structure from Hershey, including Bruce Boudreau. Tampa, so far, has not won a playoff series with a core that has a lot of players who were coached under Jon Cooper at the AHL level. Granted, this was the first year that iteration made the playoffs and were without the service of Ben Bishop. Team success is nice, but it is not everything with regard to the development of players. Some are just too good for the AHL, some need it.

VJeff posted:

I mean in all fairness that Admirals team was absurdly good and set a pro hockey record for consecutive wins that year and lost like two games in the playoffs. Then they lost the next year. :mmmhmm:

Was Eakins coaching the Marlies when the Griffins beat them?

The Norfolk Admirals did not make the playoffs in the 2012-13 season. I know what you mean and anyway. The Crunch are playing a game next year at Syracuse University's Carrier Dome and I hope the Utica Comets defeat them by at least 2 goals.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

@erlendssonTBO: #tblightning announce signing of G Andrei Vasilevskii to a three-year entry level contract (new spelling is correct)

Vasilevskii is considered the world's 1 or 1A goalie prospect, depending on who you ask. He'll probably start out the year in Syracuse.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

John Gibson ended another coach's tenure. Manchester Monarchs coach Mark Morris- who had been there since 2006-- will not have his contract renewed by Los Angeles.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I hate the "trade him out of your division" mentality in basically any scenario, but seriously, why the gently caress would you care about trading him only to Western conference teams with the divisional set-up. Like it's a big no-no trading Spezza to Columbus or New Jersey on the off-chance that the Sens and Jackets/Devils meet in the Divisional Rounds and then Spezza shows you up?

No you see when Spezza and his New Jersey Devils play the Ottawa Senators three or four times a year it's very personal. He's going to put it all out on the line for the team he played at the bulk of his career. He's always a Senator, always, he just needed a change of scenery. He's going to score three points a night every game, and then make a snide comment about how well Cory Schneider is playing in goal for the Devils, as a backhanded snipe at Anderson and Lehner. Spezza is going to cost the Senators leadership, and they're going to see it that three or four times next year.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Dak02 posted:

At the Ducks open house last week they were hinting that Souray is probably done and might retire

I wouldn't be surprised if they used a compliance buyout on Souray, he's the only really bad contract left. Ducks could use another top-4 D and possibly an extra wing if they can find the right deal.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Aye Doc posted:

Anaheim Ducks ‏@AnaheimDucks 1m
BREAKING: #NHLDucks acquire C Nate Thompson from TB in exchange for 4th and 7th round draft picks in 2015.

another 1.6 million free for the lightning

I'm not quite sure how this will work for the Ducks unless they really want to give Rakell some more AHL time. Didn't really cost Anaheim anything so that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

TheGoatTrick posted:

I love the guy, but I'm not opposed to giving RickRack more time in the AHL (and some time to bulk up a bit). They still need to re-sign Perreault to fill the 3C position, though.

I'm all for Rakell coming back to the AHL, I thought he had won that 4C job though. He's going to make a very fun power play to watch with fellow Swede center William Karlsson. Granted, the C depth is now Getlzaf-Kesler-Matty P (he will be signed)- Thompson-Rakell-Karlsson. The Ducks also brought in Louis Leblanc from Montreal. He's AHL fodder despite the "compete for a job" stuff.

As far as QOs go, I really haven't seen much. I'd expect DSP, Matty P, Vatanen, and Silfverberg back. The only RFA I've seen with a re-sign is Igor Bobkov though not confirmed.

• Locked thread